The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2019, 01:34 PM   #91
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
My love affair with GS started when I had saved enough money to buy a Rolex Sub C about 4 years ago, I knew where there was one in Leeds so I drove and parked up my car. As I was walking to the AD I noticed that there was a GS AD in the Victoria Quarter, I had heard about GS's but never seen or held one. I decided to take a quick look before continuing my journey to buy the Sub C.

I was blown away. I ended up buying 2 with the money I had saved for the Rolex, so, with that in mind, if I had to have only one watch, I could see me just having a GS instead of a Rolex.
Well, you get to have two so long as they’re both GS.
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 02:32 PM   #92
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I like and own both brands. Grand Seiko has never disappointed me...
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 07:22 PM   #93
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Both make great watches that are quite a bit different stylistically. So opinion plays a large part of which you like the most. There are two very large problems with Rolex. The first is availability and the second is that a number of their owners have bought their watches hoping to impress others rather than themselves. And that is quite off putting unless you also are a narcissist.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:21 AM   #94
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
It's not so much that GS watches AREN'T robust as much as Rolex watches ARE. If that makes any sense. Rolex watches have always been known as robust, durable tool watches probably long before the word entered modern lexicon.

I've never heard of or seen a Grand Seiko on a construction site like I have seen Rolex. And THAT is a true story!
Well just to burst your bubble.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByF2i8qHVA2/

While this shot isn't AT the site, I am on site almost daily at multiple projects sporting my GS. This morning it was my Hamilton Panda, Last week it was my 16628. Maybe tomorrow I'll roll out the Springdrive just to picture it in the trenches.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 01:00 PM   #95
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
Well just to burst your bubble.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByF2i8qHVA2/

While this shot isn't AT the site, I am on site almost daily at multiple projects sporting my GS. This morning it was my Hamilton Panda, Last week it was my 16628. Maybe tomorrow I'll roll out the Springdrive just to picture it in the trenches.
Are you wearing a tool belt or piano playing shoes? I'm talking about working with tools, not wearing a tie!

IF I was lucky enough to own a GS, you can bet I wouldn't wear it on a construction site. Beautiful watch you have, though. ALL of them!
Old 25 July 2019, 09:10 PM   #96
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
All threads benefit from pics and this watch is one of my favorites.

The design is ultra clean and precise while there are subtle nuances that provide the owner with continuing satisfaction. The watch captures much of the essence of a classic vintage dress watch and then takes it a bit further without giving anything up
Such as the curved dial hands and crystal. The 70 hr power reserve is also fantastic.
That is just a fabulous looking watch.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 03:47 AM   #97
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
As an owner of both brands; 3 Seiko and 5 Rolexes I feel that I can say both brands have their place. Since the important information; volume, marketing, service are unavailable, it’s all subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 04:15 AM   #98
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
Are you wearing a tool belt or piano playing shoes? I'm talking about working with tools, not wearing a tie!

IF I was lucky enough to own a GS, you can bet I wouldn't wear it on a construction site. Beautiful watch you have, though. ALL of them!
LOL, I got a chuckle at the Piano Playing Shoes.

Steel Toes, Jeans. Normal Belt.

I'm not always pouring concrete, or setting door frames, or surveying sites, or tying steel.... but Sometimes I am... usually if I'm doing something REALLY dirty, I'll strip the watch off, but for normal days, it rides in the dust and dirt and shocks and movements with me.... I get scratches, it's part of the journey.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
SN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 08:35 AM   #99
cajunron

Duplicate post.
Old 26 July 2019, 08:36 AM   #100
cajunron

[QUOTE=cajunron;9841232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
LOL, I got a chuckle at the Piano Playing Shoes.

Steel Toes, Jeans. Normal Belt.

I'm not always pouring concrete, or setting door frames, or surveying sites, or tying steel.... but Sometimes I am... usually if I'm doing something REALLY dirty, I'll strip the watch off, but for normal days, it rides in the dust and dirt and shocks and movements with me.... I get scratches, it's part of the journey.
My kinda guy. I'm with you all the way. I don't have as many nice watches as you do, but none of my watches are babied in any way, either. My nicest piece is an Omega Seamaster PO, and it sees as much abuse as any of my Seikos do. Life is too short to keep watches in a box. I really enjoyed your IG photos.