The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 June 2019, 03:51 AM   #1
rod442
"TRF" Member

Contemplating trade

Hello. I have never owned a Breitling, but I have always liked the Navitimer, usually the white dial versions.

I wasn't really considering one right now, and actually had gone to my jeweler to talk about putting my Tudor Pelagos (blue) on consignment.

I got such a decent deal on it, I wouldn't lose much; and don't want to deal with shipping or auctions right now. The owner says he might just buy it for his personal collection to wear as a work beater. Keep the Rolex's he has for weekends.

I would do the same, but every time I want to wear a blue watch anymore; I go for my Bluesy. ANYWAY.....

Then he hits me with a deal I am intrigued by. Take the Tudor in trade on a Breitling Navitimer. Its on a black leather strap with white stitching with deployant, but I'm not sure what model or size it is at the moment. I think its this one....

Navitimer B01 46 But I'm not 100% sure. What I do know is that he said it was basically never worn, and was almost 9K USD when new. I cant remember if it has the GMT function or if its an older model or newer in house movement.

Maybe this one? https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watc...AB0127211B1X2/

I will definitely find out the exact model. But the point is, he wants my Pelagos and 2500 cash for the Breitling. Basically I'd be out 5200 bucks total (price I paid for the pelagos and 2500 bucks.)

This seems like a great deal.... I've not seen any for under 5700 ish, so I know I'm doing ok. I already have a 1st gen black Planet Ocean Chrono XL 45.5 mm, so I don't have to do it. But a white dial (panda?) chrono would look great. I don't really own any white dial watches other than a cheap Seiko monster.

What say you?
rod442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Mad Hatter
"TRF" Member

very fair. You don't care about the pelagos anyway so that becomes a non-issue and the $2500 is super fair if watch is in good condition. BTW if he said retail was about $9K, it's definitely in-house movement. You can also know it's in-house if sub dials are oriented in a 3-6-9 layout and should also have see through caseback. Get it!
Mad Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 09:26 AM   #3
56scooter
"TRF" Member

I would ask to see the warranty card so that you can be sure the amount of time left on the warranty. $5200 is a fair price for the color combination that you show. Some in-house navitimers go for more but those are generally those that are limited editions with color combos that are sought after. The panda dial has been around for quite awhile and generally will sell for a lower price than other color combinations.
56scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

I’d rather have a bracelet version and I find the 46mm too big.

If you like that navi as your ideal ref, then do it. Otherwise just sell it buy the exact Navi you want.

A trade out of convenience is sure to be a disappointment
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Too much cash on your end.

I'd pass
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2019, 01:52 PM   #6
rod442
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the input. IIRC it def had the display caseback. So should be the in house movement. those only came out in 2018? So it should be relatively new.

It showed as if it had hardly been worn. After I get the exact reference number, Ill let you guys know.

I'm seriously tempted. The cash added on my end seems ok. I
don't see them any cheaper by a decent margin. Besides, I'm not really worried about resale, since I almost never flip a watch.
Old 21 June 2019, 01:48 AM   #7
rod442
"TRF" Member

Well, there is a little fly in the ointment. Its not quite the model I thought.
Might be a little older.

Its this reference, which I cant get to come up on the Breitling web page.
AB012012-BB01 MSRP was 8300?

Looks like most places want 6600 or so for a new one.

It pulls up on the usual gray market sellers pages, which I wont link here.

But the specifics are 43mm, still 70 power reserve? no display caseback.
same leather strap (which I prefer for a watch of this type).
I have lots of choices on a bracelet that have much better WR.

Still, I wish I could find more about this model from Breitling direct.
Old 21 June 2019, 05:21 PM   #8
mjr24
Banned

Wouldn’t do that.

The model you speak of is the 43mm Navitimer B01. Basically same watch as the 46mm but smaller. The 43mm did not come with display case back....only the 46mm and the 48mm (which is the GMT version) did.

The B01 is a great watch. I owned the GMT but sold it and got the 46mm. I feel the 43 is too small for a chronograph because the Breitling wears smaller due to the lugs and fact there is no dial.

I am pretty sure the 43mm goes all day for low 4000s on eBay....whereas the 46mm is going to normally be in the $5k-$6k ballpark.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 06:34 PM   #9
rod442
"TRF" Member

Thank you also for the reply. I'm still ok at 42-43mm.
I need glasses to read the date or subdials anyway. Stupid cataract surgery, lol.

I did see a few on ebay that were out of warranty and no box for low 4's. Mid 4's had box and papers. Ill try and get another couple hundred off to 500 if its out of warranty.

If not, Ill pass.
Old 21 June 2019, 09:16 PM   #10
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would look at the Premier 42 BO1 watches. I just go the white dial version and had my AD put it on the bracelet and I keep the Alligator strap. A great wear and a retro look. It is the watch Brad Pitt is wearing in his new movie and is pictured in the new Esquire magazine. Cover and inside article. There is a deal to be made but I would be very selective about what I picked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190607_201735 (002).jpg (193.6 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 20190611_101931 (002).jpg (269.1 KB, 201 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 10:47 PM   #11
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I would look at the Premier 42 BO1 watches. I just go the white dial version and had my AD put it on the bracelet and I keep the Alligator strap. A great wear and a retro look. It is the watch Brad Pitt is wearing in his new movie and is pictured in the new Esquire magazine. Cover and inside article. There is a deal to be made but I would be very selective about what I picked.
That looks fabulous, the bracelet is perfect for that watch. Stunning.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 03:34 AM   #12
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
I love that watch and almost bought one. But I do visit with it each time I stop in at the AD.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 06:32 AM   #13
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:

Forbes also covered Pitt's Breitling:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabe.../#12c87b015372

Great reference!

DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 02:57 PM   #14
rod442
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the further replies. I do think that for my first Breitling I want a panda or reverse P navitimer. I think its their iconic piece.

If pressed I could "maybe" go for a Yellow or orange bezel diver. The superocean or avenger is neat, but I think the bright colors wouldn't see as much wrist time.

Plus I have a ton of divers already. And no pilots watches yet (for this non pilot, lol).
Old 22 June 2019, 09:48 PM   #15
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
That looks fabulous, the bracelet is perfect for that watch. Stunning.
As nice as William's photos are, they don't do the watch justice. Amazing in person. It's a struggle for me each time to leave the AD with out one on my wrist.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 12:01 AM   #16
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Just bought this 46mm on leather and oem mesh bracelet. It's my one and only Breitling. With its rich aviation history, Navi is an icon for sure. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 12:32 PM   #17
rod442
"TRF" Member

Awesome watch, congrats!

Double checked today, its warranty is dated 05/2018 so almost 4 years left.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for it. Just have to wait until next week.

Kind of a funny thing, the owner put it in the back to hold it for me, and asked....
What did I tell you on the deal? 6k total? He seriously forgot he said 5K.
I do believe him.
I told him no, we were at 5, and for really any more I would probably not be interested.

He then said, you should have bought it on the spot if I said 5.... I lol'd. he did to.
He said, let me go over the numbers on what I paid for it, but we should be ok still.

I know he's not trying to pull a fast one, and he knows I wont go any higher.
We've known each other a long time, no worries there. I just thought it was funny.
Old 23 June 2019, 05:52 PM   #18
Justindo
"TRF" Member

If you like the watch and the size is good for you, it's not a bad deal, especially considering the condition and the warranty. The current version is the same as the one you're looking at except that the new one has a display back and the logo is different (a B instead of the gold winged logo). As for resale, the 43mm sells for the same as the 46mm.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2019, 07:59 AM   #19
jayhaa
"TRF" Member

The 46mm to me is just too big, and is not in line with more current watch styles. That being said, to each there own.

Also, make sure you go for a b01 over the A302. The details are just so much nicer.
jayhaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2019, 04:06 PM   #20
ud101
Banned

This deal sounds very fair to me, ride on with it.
ud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 01:23 AM   #21
zewill
"TRF" Member

Holy crap, how big are your wrists that you outright forget 42 and 43 mm watches and casually speak about rocking 44 and 46 mm watches?
For me the navitimer is the perfect size. I'm more of a 40mm watch guy, feel it's the perfect classic balance, but willing to push to 42mm max (thank god or it would prevent me from many breitlings...)
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote