The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2011, 10:27 AM   #61
jrd21
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I'm considering reducing my collection that includes Rolex, AP, Omega and Zenith but my 88 and 251 will stay with me. They're just fun watches to have and most people don't have a clue as to what they are.
jrd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2011, 10:41 AM   #62
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Its not that I hate them, however most of them are bit bigger than what I am ready to wear right now.

However I have started looking at them a bit closer, because I am not closed minded.
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2011, 10:41 PM   #63
Athas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD,Daytona,P233,PO
Just got my Pam 233. It is a work of art as are my rolex watches. Built quality of their in-house movements is excellent. My rolex AD was telling me Panerai's have become much more popular over the last few years. Said over Xmas everybody wanted a Pam 305
Athas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2011, 10:57 PM   #64
Fearsome Puppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Agree with you on the 88, it would be one if the last to go if I trimmed my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd21 View Post
I'm considering reducing my collection that includes Rolex, AP, Omega and Zenith but my 88 and 251 will stay with me. They're just fun watches to have and most people don't have a clue as to what they are.
Old 15 February 2011, 11:12 PM   #65
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I loved Panerai from the moment I laid eyes on them. I just wish I had bought back then!!!

This is from the opening sequence of "Eraser" - released in 1996. I should have rushed out and bought one the next day. :)

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 01:41 AM   #66
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd21 View Post
The 88 was my first and it will always be in fold.

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 02:09 AM   #67
akira23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam 1313
Regardless the opinions, it's yours that matters! I love mine so to me that's all that matters!
akira23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 03:03 AM   #68
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
i wouldn't call them bloody ugly, but i'd never buy one myself...
x2!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2011, 03:16 AM   #69
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
x2!!
No words needed.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2011, 12:10 AM   #70
volvo
"TRF" Member

This guys who says bad against Pam don't know what they're missing in life and obviously they don't have one!
volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2011, 01:37 PM   #71
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC 114060
I think when it comes down to it, people that appreciate fine things in life, like watches, can appreciate different watches for their different characteristics. While some rolex owners may not wish to buy a panerai for themselves, most in my experiences can understand the craftsmanship and quality of the piece, and will not criticise them, but say “they’re not for me, but it’s a beautiful watch”.

Those who say “they’re overpriced, a waste of money, ugly” etc, usually have this attitude about all things ‘exclusive’ or more expensive than the usual (and not just panerai’s but all expensive watches). And when you look at their wrist are probably wearing a digital casio, plastic strap and all…
2106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2011, 03:47 AM   #72
Netminder1
"TRF" Member

Watch: everyone
It's simple. People hate what they don't understand.

Larry
Netminder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2011, 01:20 AM   #73
FLB03TT
Banned

Watch: PAM, G.O., G.P.
I bought a PAM 25 Titanium Submersible last fall and my GMT Master II has basically seen zero wrist time since. I've "tried" to wear the GMT but it seems that the siren song of the PAM is irresistable. I've got a fairly lage wrist and I feel the PAM looks better and is actually more comfortable than the GMT- light weight of titanium head and 24mm strap width- account for this I believe.

Regarding brand history- PAM is interesting, Rolex is the KING (pun intended) and needs no further introduction. Panerai, essentially, started as a contract manufacturer to the Egyptian Navy in the '50s. The international introduction of the brand in the '90s was probably destined to fail had it not been for Sylvester Stallone getting behind Panerai by, initially, buying hundreds of the fledgling brand's early contemporary production run. Odds are had Sly not gotten involved Panerai probably wouldn't exist today. Their current position in the market is a combination of many factors including excellent brand management (including line evolution, effective introductions of Limited Edition models and the subsequent rabid collector activity), very high quality product and great timing as it pertains to the large watch trend. One other lesser factor that is becoming more important by the day for many of us Baby Boomers is dial legibility. This is now a deciding factor for my future watch purchases.

For me PAM is an infectious brand, with a twist. Once you catch the bug the infection grows, as most do, but you strangely don't want to get well!!
FLB03TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2011, 11:57 PM   #74
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
Some of the responses on this thread are astonishingly . . .

. . . simplistic.

"If you don't like Panerai then either you don't understand them or you can't afford them." Wow, is that insulting to people who just happen to have opposing views!

I have never cared for the range on a number of levels. I think the crown guard thingey is an affectation, just like the protruding helium valve on the Seamasters. Unnecessary in real life for 99.9% of their owners, and a real 'look at me' ostentation.

Rolex has James Bond and Omega has NASA (and now James Bond) in their histories, not that they're reasons to buy a watch. But 'Worn by the Italian Navy frogmen'? I'd hardly call Panerai an historical marque.

I have always felt that Panerai is the horological equivalent of the emperor's new clothes. Someone a few years back decided they were de rigeur, so a lot of others jumped on the band-wagon. Fine.

Now, before I'm dubbed a "hater", let me explain that I do understand them (whatever that's supposed to mean), I can afford them, and the ETA heritage of the movement turns me off not a whit. It doesn't bother me in similarly priced Breitlings and it doesn't bother me in Panerai.

I feel that, if you like them and want to buy all that you can, knock yourself out.

Just don't expect the rest of us to ooh and aah over watches we don't really like . . .
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2011, 07:06 AM   #75
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Took awhile to grow on me but now I am hooked and love Panerai as much if not more than Rolex... The simplicity is awesome and the ability to just switch straps and have an entirely different watch rocks too

Old 5 December 2011, 07:52 AM   #76
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
. . . simplistic.

"If you don't like Panerai then either you don't understand them or you can't afford them." Wow, is that insulting to people who just happen to have opposing views!

I have never cared for the range on a number of levels. I think the crown guard thingey is an affectation, just like the protruding helium valve on the Seamasters. Unnecessary in real life for 99.9% of their owners, and a real 'look at me' ostentation.

Rolex has James Bond and Omega has NASA (and now James Bond) in their histories, not that they're reasons to buy a watch. But 'Worn by the Italian Navy frogmen'? I'd hardly call Panerai an historical marque.

I have always felt that Panerai is the horological equivalent of the emperor's new clothes. Someone a few years back decided they were de rigeur, so a lot of others jumped on the band-wagon. Fine.

Now, before I'm dubbed a "hater", let me explain that I do understand them (whatever that's supposed to mean), I can afford them, and the ETA heritage of the movement turns me off not a whit. It doesn't bother me in similarly priced Breitlings and it doesn't bother me in Panerai.

I feel that, if you like them and want to buy all that you can, knock yourself out.

Just don't expect the rest of us to ooh and aah over watches we don't really like . . .

You mention Rolex having Bond and Omega NASA. For the record, Panerai also has Rolex in their heritage. Connect the dots. PANERAI- either you get it or you don't.
Old 5 December 2011, 11:35 AM   #77
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voss View Post
I've just been browsing the web and finding a lot of people disliking panerai's saying they aren't real watches, how they will end up dying out because it is just a trend/fad etc etc. I find myself laughing at some of the responses saying that other brands are far more superior then Panerai because they use ETA's movements. I know that Panerai decorates the ETA movements that are put in there watches but, I have been told ETA movements that are decorated by Panerai are movements that are just as reliable as most in-house movements.

I am fairly new to Panerai's and recently bought a 297 :). Just wondering if the Panerai folks here can shed some light on why these people would say such things of a watch company that has so much history ? O_o

I TOTALLY encourage these talks.. please tell these guys they are right on so this way, I can buy more pams at lower prices.. new or in the secondary market!!!

Mik is right on here!

Fred
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2011, 11:39 AM   #78
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Just a case of the have nots bashing the one's who have!

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 01:57 AM   #79
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore

I dont see it, in fact the excact opposite...I see & hear nothing but LOVE for the brand..But I must say I'm a Paneristi/ & a LOVER so my bias opinion my not count in this matter.
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 02:00 AM   #80
watchdaddy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Its not that I hate them, however most of them are bit bigger than what I am ready to wear right now.

However I have started looking at them a bit closer, because I am not closed minded.
C'mon over to the dark side Dan-----You wont be dissapointed in the least
Old 6 December 2011, 02:08 AM   #81
watchdaddy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
. . . simplistic.

WOW- You dont know much on the brand do you. But thats ok more for me!!!!.Panerai used a Rolex mvmnt @ 1 time, also a # of others come to mind as well.Please do some studying 1st
Old 6 December 2011, 02:17 AM   #82
HDHNTER
"TRF" Member

When I first got into watches 5 or so years ago I did not see the appeal of Panerai at all. Way too big & odd looking, just didn't get what people saw in them. But as time went by I grew to appreciate what Panerai brings to the table. For the last couple of years I have wanted one badly & I finally took the plunge last week. Wish I hadn't waited so long.....LOVE my PAM312! So much personality & the strap options.....well they add a level of fun to the hobby that Rolex never has for me.
HDHNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 02:49 AM   #83
watchdaddy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHNTER View Post
When I first got into watches 5 or so years ago I did not see the appeal of Panerai at all. Way too big & odd looking, just didn't get what people saw in them. But as time went by I grew to appreciate what Panerai brings to the table. For the last couple of years I have wanted one badly & I finally took the plunge last week. Wish I hadn't waited so long.....LOVE my PAM312! So much personality & the strap options.....well they add a level of fun to the hobby that Rolex never has for me.
EXCATLY...
But I do own 2 Rolex's too
Congrats on the 312-
-I'm hunting down 312 now for my 3rd OP
Old 6 December 2011, 03:34 AM   #84
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
Because Panerai is a brand you either love or hate, no in between...

/masterkiller
Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 05:14 AM   #85
rolepam312
"TRF" Member

Hate is so wrong and waste of energy.. Either you like the brand or you don't , any brand, from cars to clothes, etc, has enough people who like it for whatever reason.. Panerai is no different, it's perfectly fine for one to not like it, but why "hate "it? Just don't buy it and it's simple as that.. I love my Pam but I really don't like their way of allocating their SE/LE, but they can do whatever they want.. Doesn't mean I hate them..can't waste my energy on that or any other brands I find less desirable...
rolepam312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 05:27 AM   #86
cparks555
"TRF" Member

Didn't care for the brand at first either, but after awhile the unique look has sucked me in. It's definately a different style, and thats what appeals to me the most now. I like the fact that I've never seen one around where I live also. Hope to have one soon!
cparks555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 08:23 AM   #87
coreyharris

Watch: dssd, pepsi, sub c
The new 372 is a beautiful peice, I've got no beef with Pam.
coreyharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2011, 09:20 AM   #88
HyperM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Funny. I was a Rolex hater forever. Always felt like they were the "me too" brand. I love my Pam 90 that Ive had for 2 years now. Its a statement and a recoginition piece at the same time. I love when a fellow WIS sees just the crown lock sticking out from my shirt cuff and asks to see my Panerai.

All this being said, I did break down and pick up a Daytona white face a couple weeks ago. I always said I'd only own a Rolex if it was a Daytona. So, I guess I have both brands now. They share the same watch box. What they do together when Im not looking I have no idea.
HyperM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 04:10 PM   #89
David S
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5712
I love Panerai. For a long time I could only dream about owning a Panerai. I finally have one and my next one will be a rose gold one.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2012, 05:05 PM   #90
Ramiks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and others
IMHO Panerai managed to become an icon in the watch-industry in a very short time, well if I am not wrong since mid of 90's till today , they have now fans all around the world.

How I see it… well big, simple, and balanced in some models, and unbalanced in some other models.

Would I have it one day?

ABSO(372)LUTELY
Ramiks is offline   Reply With Quote