The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2011, 09:06 PM   #31
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
If I was going to have only one watch then it would be a Rolex.

If I could only have one Rolex then it would be my TT GMT C (GMT function is very important to me) or TT Sub C (if GMT not important). The TT fits all occasions for me.

Good luck.

Old 10 October 2011, 10:20 PM   #32
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWatch View Post
an ambulance chaser type of attorney, then the Pam suits you just fine.

Otherwise, I'd go with something classy and conservative like that DJ
Ouch.

Executive Dorklehead
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 05:11 AM   #33
princeton3

So it looks like the rolex is heavily favored over the panerai. I must admit that I am a little disappointed as I figured the panerai would have garnered more support in a "sub" forum dedicated to panerais. :). That is precisely why i did not start this thread in the rolex forum.

So I wonder, are you guys selecting the rolex over the panerai simply because it is a rolex? Or, are you comparing model to model? I really like both and will probably end up buying both but for now, I must choose one.

I hope the panerai guys were all watching football yesterday and will begin to provide a different perspective today. So far I believe the count is 20-4 in favor of rolex. I'm hoping to get about 50 or so votes before deciding...keep your opinions coming...!!
princeton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 05:23 AM   #34
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton3 View Post
So it looks like the rolex is heavily favored over the panerai. I must admit that I am a little disappointed as I figured the panerai would have garnered more support in a "sub" forum dedicated to panerais. :). That is precisely why i did not start this thread in the rolex forum.

So I wonder, are you guys selecting the rolex over the panerai simply because it is a rolex? Or, are you comparing model to model? I really like both and will probably end up buying both but for now, I must choose one.

I hope the panerai guys were all watching football yesterday and will begin to provide a different perspective today. So far I believe the count is 20-4 in favor of rolex. I'm hoping to get about 50 or so votes before deciding...keep your opinions coming...!!
Buy the one that sings to you the best, and sounds like you prefer the Panny, so just get one. You can always get a DJII later. If it were me however, and considering my day job, I would do the reverse. My 2c.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 05:33 AM   #35
princeton3

Thank you! Good suggestion!
Old 11 October 2011, 06:03 AM   #36
monty`

Quote:
So I wonder, are you guys selecting the rolex over the panerai simply because it is a rolex? Or, are you comparing model to model?
that's what it looks like to me...despite this being in the Panerai sub-forum we are still on TRF...

personally i think Datejusts are hideous. the watch just does not sing to me - the stick hands, the cyclops, etc. i especially can't stand the fluted bezel. i also don't get how people think they're at all versatile? it's far too 'blingy' (for me at least) to wear when dressing down, on vacation, etc. a Submariner, maybe.

the 359 on the other hand is much more versatile and here's why - you can change the strap as often as you like which gives you a watch that can fit any situation. yes, this includes formal business wear - i work in finance and wear my PAM111 to work everyday. as do many others in similar white collar roles. the 1950 case is a little chunkier so i would suggest trying one on first to see if it's to your liking. some people prefer to wear very tight cuffs which could pose an issue with this case.

i get the impression that the die-hard Rolex fans think of PAMs as too big. like wall clock on the wrist 'too big'. i had similar sentiments until i tried one on and realized the wrist presence is not even close to what i thought it would be. don't let the 44mm case hold you back.

in summation - buy the 359:

-style (no cyclops, small seconds hand, cream luminova, exhibition caseback)
-ability to change straps and have a 'new watch', LOTS of versatility
-in house movement (not a huge deal to me but i find people snub their noses at PAMs with ETA movements)
-3 day power reserve (i think Rolex movements are 48 hours)
-no fluted bezel
monty` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 06:06 AM   #37
RKan

Watch: GMTIIC, Millie GV
I vote for the PAM, b/c I simply like it more, personally.

However, I must admit I am not a big DJII fan.

My only thought in favor of the Rolex is that the PAM might not project the best "message" to clients. I want my attorney to be more sensible, responsible, and focused than I am and I'm not sure the PAM shouts that.
RKan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 06:16 AM   #38
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:

From the post above, it is obvious you like the PAM. We have both Rolex and PAM lovers here but you are on TRF. I picked the DJ over the PAM because I think it is just better. But that is my 2c and what really matter is your 2c ;)

Just pick the PAM! All the best!
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 06:33 AM   #39
monty`

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKan View Post
My only thought in favor of the Rolex is that the PAM might not project the best "message" to clients. I want my attorney to be more sensible, responsible, and focused than I am and I'm not sure the PAM shouts that.
good grief...i didn't think that you scrutinize someone's character by their watch. i find it ironic this is coming from someone with a watch that has an orange lightning bolt as a seconds hand ("who does he think he is, a superhero?")
Old 11 October 2011, 08:05 AM   #40
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty` View Post
good grief...i didn't think that you scrutinize someone's character by their watch. i find it ironic this is coming from someone with a watch that has an orange lightning bolt as a seconds hand ("who does he think he is, a superhero?")

Executive Dorklehead
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 09:08 AM   #41
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760/116400
Just buy the Pam and be done with it already.

"I want my attorney to be more sensible, responsible, and focused than I am and I'm not sure the PAM shouts that." wtf?
Langleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 09:58 AM   #42
princeton3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langleyz View Post
Just buy the Pam and be done with it already.

"I want my attorney to be more sensible, responsible, and focused than I am and I'm not sure the PAM shouts that." wtf?
I guess it is that simple when it all boils down to it!!
Old 11 October 2011, 10:11 AM   #43
RKan

Quote:
I guess it is that simple when it all boils down to it!!
I'm glad you get what I'm saying. (Unless that's sarcasm.)

As an attorney (non-practicing) and a business person that deals with attorneys, I know from experience on both sides of the table that that is what people are really looking for in an attorney. Even if they don't realize it.
Old 11 October 2011, 10:13 AM   #44
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760/116400
Quote:
I'm glad you get what I'm saying. (Unless that's sarcasm.)

As an attorney (non-practicing) and a business person that deals with attorneys, I know from experience on both sides of the table that that is what people are really looking for in an attorney. Even if they don't realize it.
I could be wrong, but I think the reply was directed at me...
Langleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 10:18 AM   #45
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
7 1/4
Based on this alone, I would steer back to a 36mm ROLEX DJ.

If you get the larger DJ or even the Pam, your wrists gonna look silly as the heads alone will dwarf the wrist diameter...

Visually and comfort wise it culd be an issue for you...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 10:21 AM   #46
RKan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty` View Post
Sweet "joke."

Are we going to be honest and realistic here? Oh good, well that means that we recognize that people make judgements based on appearances. Do you really think I'm suggesting that a man's watch is a good measure of his character??!? That would be pretty silly.

Perhaps you didn't read the original post? He specifically refers to his day job as an attorney and its role in his decision-making on this. In light of that, I think that my point that the PAM projects something altogether different than the Rolex is relevant and fair. And not at all how you characterize it.
Old 11 October 2011, 10:57 AM   #47
jvo300
"TRF" Member

If you really worry about what people think, then maybe don't get either of them. I'd say they are both fairly ostentatious. I second the idea of exploring a more classic 36mm stick dial. If it were me however, I'd go with the PAM.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 12:23 PM   #48
princeton3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langleyz View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the reply was directed at me...
Correct...
Old 11 October 2011, 12:37 PM   #49
7sins
"TRF" Member

359 by a long shot
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 12:58 PM   #50
jacksonian

Quote:
7 1/4
My wrist is 7" and I wear a 47mm Pam most days. The 359 would look perfect on you. And the Pam is every bit as professional as the Rolex, just much more interesting and unique.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 01:13 PM   #51
monty`

Quote:
Are we going to be honest and realistic here? Oh good, well that means that we recognize that people make judgements based on appearances. Do you really think I'm suggesting that a man's watch is a good measure of his character??!? That would be pretty silly.

Perhaps you didn't read the original post? He specifically refers to his day job as an attorney and its role in his decision-making on this. In light of that, I think that my point that the PAM projects something altogether different than the Rolex is relevant and fair. And not at all how you characterize it.
the watches certainly have 2 very different and distinctive styles. what i'm lost on is how you think wearing a DJ2 would project one to be any more sensible, responsible, or focused? his clients or prospective clients aren't going to think any differently of him if he's wearing a Panerai. come on now, that's a bit of a stretch!

OP i think i've addressed your needs in my earlier post.

Quote:
Sweet "joke."
http://instantrimshot.com/

i'll be here all night, ladies and gentlemen.
Old 11 October 2011, 05:52 PM   #52
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

wow....this thread took a left turn.

anyway, getting back to the subject at hand, another thing to consider, if you worry about what people think at work, a rolex is, IMO, much, MUCH more noticeable to the "average joe". and, a DJII is even more "in your face".

now, if it were me, i would just get the watch you like best. keep it simple. try 'em on. your wrist size seems fine, though the 1950s cases can sit funny (for me, the luminors work better).

just to say, nothing wrong with owning both brands.....variety is your friend.

Quote:

.............or, the PAM says "i'm an independent and outside-the-box thinker who goes against the herd, and i will stand up for what i believe in."

point is, worrying about what image a watch projects will get you no where. each person will interpret things differently, and the vast majority won't notice the watch at all. get what you like.

now, obviously, this has limits.....a diamond covered DSSD or leopard daytona might be taking things too far.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 11:11 PM   #53
princeton3

Cru and Monty,

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Your points are well-taken and along with a few others have pushed me over the edge to get the panerai.

Everyone,

The panerai definitely excites me much more than the djii and I was going to get the rolex for many of the reasons stated in this thread, i.e., classy, understated, elegant, more versatile, etc., (and it fits my profession better) but from the folks that favor the panerai or getting what you like, it has become very apparent that most of those who favor the rolex do so simply because it is a rolex and are not giving the panerai a fair assessment.

The Panerai is also all of those things that make the rolex appealing, but more importantly, it is pretty unique, and that is the characteristic I tend to like the most about it. Also, it is equally apparent that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what is beautiful or elegant in some folks' eyes may not necessarily be in others' eyes, or at least to the same degree.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the rolex but I really, really like the panerai. Frankly, I think if I bought the rolex over the panerai, I might later regret doing so. On the other hand, I dont see regretting the panerai. That might simply mean that at some point I will probably end up buying both, but for now I have settled on the panerai.

Thanks so much for all of your help in this very important decision!!
Old 11 October 2011, 11:25 PM   #54
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

good for you.

thinking it through, trying them on, not rushing into things, doing it for yourself....in the end, you'll be much more satisfied with what you pick up.

looking forward to the pix!!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2011, 11:54 PM   #55
jacksonian

Agreed 100%. I chose Panerai for several reasons. One was that I loved the simplicity and rugged design. And the other was that I wanted something unique, something that not everyone else was wearing. I can't count the times I've said to someone that I like watches and their first question was always, "Oh, you like Rolex?" And I'm like, "No, actually it's Panerai." And they reply, "Hmmm, I've never heard of that." And then I smile.

As much as I've tried to make myself like the traditional gentlemen's watches like Rolex, PP, VC, etc...they just don't sing to me like Panerai. I know if I bought those that I'd be bored with them very quickly. But I have a passion for my Pams.

I think you'll love your 359. It's a beautiful watch. And I bet you'll rarely, if ever, find another Pam, much less another 359 in the same room with you. And if you do, it will be a fun occasion to share a story with someone like you. I actually took a picture of a guy sleeping in the Atlanta airport one day because I saw his 359 on his wrist. I sent the pic to my friend in Portland who has one because it was the only time I'd ever seen one in the wild.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 12:26 AM   #56
H2F
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam & Lings
Congrats on the (right ) decision princeton3! Update us once you get her!
H2F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 02:12 AM   #57
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

For a single watch, Rolex for me.
Old 12 October 2011, 03:45 AM   #58
rolexsweep
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD40
That is the actual dj I want!!! And now I am considering flipping my Pam 111 and saving more the get it! Dj will last you forever, a classic time piece, works great with suits and awesome with casual, comfortable!! I wear my Pam on the weekends and now I wear my gmtc majority of the time
Old 12 October 2011, 07:56 AM   #59
barstoolman
Banned

Its gotta be a DJ-II............Panerai is just a bit casual for a nice business suit. I do, however, prefer the Panerai overall.
barstoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 08:03 AM   #60
pmar124
"TRF" Member

Post some pics when you pick up the new one!
pmar124 is offline   Reply With Quote