The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 October 2011, 09:20 AM   #61
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16760/116400
He's already made up his mind! Stop trying to convince him to buy a boring DJ.

I suspect if the OP was deciding between a Sub or the Pam, the pro rolex-ers would still be for the Rolex, despite the Sub being far more casual than the Pam.

Well done for making your mind up.
Langleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 09:26 AM   #62
jldc
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langleyz View Post
I suspect if the OP was deciding between a Sub or the Pam, the pro rolex-ers would still be for the Rolex, despite the Sub being far more casual than the Pam.
Say what?!

A sub is NOT more casual than any Luminor.

That said, congrats to the OP. Buy the watch that talks to you. Nobody with any brains in their head will judge you on what watch you wear and 99% of people won't even notice. Wear the one you want. It's your money.

L

PS Pics please.
jldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 09:44 AM   #63
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
Say what?!

A sub is NOT more casual than any Luminor.
Say what?!
Old 12 October 2011, 09:53 AM   #64
jldc
"TRF" Member

You're welcome to your opinion (however misguided) but the Luminor is more casual than ANY rolex. The Rad is about equal to a sub in "dressiness" on an OEM gator and more casual on anything else.

L
Old 12 October 2011, 09:58 AM   #65
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're welcome to your opinion (however misguided)
lol. I like what you did there.
Old 12 October 2011, 10:29 AM   #66
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Back to topic. Great work in deciding what you like. Now get some pics on here! :)
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 12:27 PM   #67
Actsulb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II (Coke)
My vote is for the Rolex, it is a timeless classic with understated elegance. It doesn't need to shout that You have arrived but rather it speaks for itself to those who know timepieces. Good luck with your selection.

A Crown for Every Achievement
Actsulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 02:21 PM   #68
fstnlgl
"TRF" Member

If you want to walk into a room with the same watch "Rolex" that others are also wearing, go with the DJ Rolex. However, if you go with the Panerai, chances are that you will be the only one with a Pam!!! and answering questions about it. Go with what grabs ya..
fstnlgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 02:35 PM   #69
psv
"TRF" Member

Another vote fir the Rolex. I get tired of Panerais very fast and I don't think they as versatile as some people think they are. I hope the 372 will change my mind.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2011, 11:57 PM   #70
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
You're welcome to your opinion (however misguided)

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 12:07 AM   #71
jldc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
Nah. No need for popcorn. Just taking a cheap shot. No offense intended (or taken, I believe). Beautiful timepieces, both, and I wish the OP the best with his new Pam.

L
Old 13 October 2011, 12:21 AM   #72
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Nah. No need for popcorn. Just taking a cheap shot. No offense intended (or taken, I believe). Beautiful timepieces, both, and I wish the OP the best with his new Pam.

L
Yup, love a good ribbing as much as the next WIS.

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2011, 09:19 AM   #73
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No offense intended (or taken, I believe)
L
Correct.
Old 14 October 2011, 12:42 PM   #74
princeton3

So you guys are aware that I decided on the 359. Found an out of state dealer offering a deep double digit discount-has one in stock and now I suddenly have cold feet!!!!!

Help me understand how you guys pull the trigger so quickly with so much money involved?
princeton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2011, 12:44 PM   #75
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Clearly the DJ II.
Old 14 October 2011, 12:49 PM   #76
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princeton3 View Post
So you guys are aware that I decided on the 359. Found an out of state dealer offering a deep double digit discount-has one in stock and now I suddenly have cold feet!!!!!

Help me understand how you guys pull the trigger so quickly with so much money involved?
I knew from the beginning. 359 all the way.

My shopping suggestions.

You want the quick and ez new in box? Contact Mosco, DAVIDSW, or bodybump here on TRF. Else, just keep checking TZ and P.com for a deal. Be sure to check their refs. I'd tell you the price to go for etc, but do it on your own. You'll find out that the hunt is half the fun (really). As soon as you get this 359 and wear it for a few weeks/months........the cravings will set in and you'll want another. Why do you think there are forums like this???? For watch junkies, that's why...aka you. Enjoy the excitement of tracking one down.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2011, 01:16 PM   #77
kekes7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and I'm about to pull all of it out trying to decide on the right watch. I keep going back and forth on these two watches. I had all but eliminated the djii and had decided to go with the Pam, but each time I see one or read about it, the thought of having one creeps back into my head...

This quote was taken from another thread I started so you guys will have some reference in terms of providing your responses....

My lifestyle-
Daytime = lawyer = suits (no business casual)
Evenings = dinner out, movies, hanging with friends, and of course wife and kids (4 and 17) = polo shirts, dress shirts with sleeves rolled up, or casual t-shirt, jeans/slacks/shorts
Weekends = anything goes (range from suits to casual t-shirts, jeans, slacks, shorts)
Vacations 4x year = Hawaii to Carib to Europe, etc.

Please help out here; which would you choose and why??

I can only get one so please don't recommend getting both.... Thanks!!
AS a rolex and a pam359 owner , i would say get the 359 or ...... a rolex DSSD based on what you have written above
kekes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2011, 01:24 PM   #78
kekes7
"TRF" Member

Quote:

for me, my friend showed me a 359 he was considering. i saw it and fell in love with it. at the time i was looking at a blancpain 50 fathoms. within 7 days i was the owner of a 359.

for me some watches just talk to me and i must have them
kekes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2011, 03:27 PM   #79
Langleyz
"TRF" Member

Buy it!

It only seems like a lot of money before you buy it.
Old 14 October 2011, 10:18 PM   #80
jldc
"TRF" Member

FWIW drgross has a nice 359 for sale right now. I've never dealt with him personally, but he seems to be selling quite a few Panerai

L
Old 15 October 2011, 02:19 AM   #81
princeton3

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Clearly the DJ II.
Old 15 October 2011, 02:21 AM   #82
princeton3

Quote:
FWIW drgross has a nice 359 for sale right now. I've never dealt with him personally, but he seems to be selling quite a few Panerai

L
Thanks for the heads up...!
Old 15 October 2011, 12:58 PM   #83
guyrolex

Watch: DSSD, SubC LV
I have 4 Rolex sports models and one Pam 312- Rolex is my favourite watch brand by far, although I do love my 312. But if I were you, I would go the the Panerai - I wear my Pam for business, dress and casual and it fits in perfectly in every case. I work on Wall Street and Pams are the watch of choice for professionals, but a close second would be Rolex sports models like the DSSD, Daytona, and Sub and GMT ceramics. But you just never see the newer bigger Datejusts on anyone, and the only time you see the older smaller 36mm DJ's are on older gents which are usually two-tone gold/silvers. The new DJ above seems very blingy and would not really look too cool with casual. It will also have a much lower resale value if you are ever looking at flipping it.
guyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2011, 04:41 PM   #84
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Pam!!!
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2011, 01:15 AM   #85
princeton3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrolex View Post
I have 4 Rolex sports models and one Pam 312- Rolex is my favourite watch brand by far, although I do love my 312. But if I were you, I would go the the Panerai - I wear my Pam for business, dress and casual and it fits in perfectly in every case. I work on Wall Street and Pams are the watch of choice for professionals, but a close second would be Rolex sports models like the DSSD, Daytona, and Sub and GMT ceramics. But you just never see the newer bigger Datejusts on anyone, and the only time you see the older smaller 36mm DJ's are on older gents which are usually two-tone gold/silvers. The new DJ above seems very blingy and would not really look too cool with casual. It will also have a much lower resale value if you are ever looking at flipping it.
Very thoughtful and substantive response. Thank you! I have decided on the Pam...trying to get past the cold feet stage now.
Old 16 October 2011, 08:59 AM   #86
jacksonian

Cold feet stage is tough. This is not an insignificant amount of money unless you're a millionaire (and I mean net worth). I check to make sure I have everything else I need like enough savings in the bank, debts paid off or on a comfortable payoff schedule, emergency cash level satisfactory, etc...and if it won't add any stress to my life. If all lights are green, then just go for it.

With big decisions like this, I use my "try it on for size" trick. I just go ahead in my mind and mentally commit to buying it. I tell myself it's done, it's bought, it's over. And then I let that sit and sink in for a day or two. I usually feel either, "oh crap, what was I thinking?" or, "oh yeah, that feels good." It's like trying on a pair of pants at a store. Sometimes they look great on the rack , but then they just don't fit. So this way I try it on mentally. Seems to work for me.
jacksonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2011, 06:30 PM   #87
+SwissWatch
"TRF" Member

A good lawyer as you are, this is not going to be your first and last purchase I am sure, it's just going to be the first of two, a few, or many....

cold feet...it's a slippery slope if you get the 359 my friend...after you buy it, it's off with the strap hunt I guarantee you ! And why would you ask do we spend that much on straps?...coz it's half the fun and fulfillment.

I started as a Seiko lover, then a tag heuer collector, then a DJ fan, to a GMTIIC fanatic....and now I have a dress regiment before I leave the house, I have to make sure that the strap I wear on my pam312 matches or coordinates with the clothes I wear and the activity at hand, silly...really silly, but every time I do so brings me a joy I cannot understand, so dont ask me what watch gets most of my wrist time ;-)

I love Rolex, it's my childhood dream, but my mid-life dream is the Pam :-) so I keep both :-)...and some others more forgettable left over from my past. GO FOR IT !!!

p.s.
you may want to have your SI actively involved by converting them too, believe me it takes a lot of effort but pays off well, my wife's a risti now too :-) but that's only after i bought her a YM, she's got to have what I have, pay to play !
+SwissWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2011, 08:21 AM   #88
princeton3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Cold feet stage is tough. This is not an insignificant amount of money unless you're a millionaire (and I mean net worth). I check to make sure I have everything else I need like enough savings in the bank, debts paid off or on a comfortable payoff schedule, emergency cash level satisfactory, etc...and if it won't add any stress to my life. If all lights are green, then just go for it.

With big decisions like this, I use my "try it on for size" trick. I just go ahead in my mind and mentally commit to buying it. I tell myself it's done, it's bought, it's over. And then I let that sit and sink in for a day or two. I usually feel either, "oh crap, what was I thinking?" or, "oh yeah, that feels good." It's like trying on a pair of pants at a store. Sometimes they look great on the rack , but then they just don't fit. So this way I try it on mentally. Seems to work for me.
I will give the "try it on for size" trick a try and see if it works for me. It always seems like the right deal comes along when you haven't totally committed. I would never have found a dealer offering such a deep discount if I was 100% committed to the purchase. I think part of my cold feet has to do with being assured that I have found the "perfect watch." I have considered a few other models and I believe I'm making the right decision, but the cold feet seems to stem from realizing that this watch will be the ONE for quite a while and I'm afraid it may not be that after I purchase it. I really love the watch so I don't anticipate this happening but you never know...
Old 18 October 2011, 08:26 AM   #89
princeton3

Quote:
Originally Posted by +SwissWatch View Post
A good lawyer as you are, this is not going to be your first and last purchase I am sure, it's just going to be the first of two, a few, or many....

cold feet...it's a slippery slope if you get the 359 my friend...after you buy it, it's off with the strap hunt I guarantee you ! And why would you ask do we spend that much on straps?...coz it's half the fun and fulfillment.

I started as a Seiko lover, then a tag heuer collector, then a DJ fan, to a GMTIIC fanatic....and now I have a dress regiment before I leave the house, I have to make sure that the strap I wear on my pam312 matches or coordinates with the clothes I wear and the activity at hand, silly...really silly, but every time I do so brings me a joy I cannot understand, so dont ask me what watch gets most of my wrist time ;-)

I love Rolex, it's my childhood dream, but my mid-life dream is the Pam :-) so I keep both :-)...and some others more forgettable left over from my past. GO FOR IT !!!

p.s.
you may want to have your SI actively involved by converting them too, believe me it takes a lot of effort but pays off well, my wife's a risti now too :-) but that's only after i bought her a YM, she's got to have what I have, pay to play !
Exactly! I keep telling myself that this will not be my last and final watch. But then again, with the prices as they are, I realistically may not be able to purchase another for quite a while. At some point, I will just have to take the plunge and go for it (like you said). My finances are in order and I don't foresee anything changing in the near future (knock on wood) with regard to my income.

Hopefully my next post will be wrist shots...!!
Old 18 October 2011, 09:05 AM   #90
Bobble

Watch: GMT IIc, Daytona
I think it's an easy decision really, you like them both just as much as each other... then buy the one that will hold it's value the most, that way should you decide you really must have the other, then you will loose less.

Me? I'd have the Rolex, I think the Pam's are too tall.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote