The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 October 2019, 10:11 AM   #271
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Alright, I know I'll get a ton of flack since it's the hottest watch on the market...but the 5711/1A blue. After all the hype, all the exposure, all the commentary on this forum, I finally got a chance to see one in the metal about a month ago.

I don't know if Rolex bracelet quality ruined everything else for me, but I wasn't a fan of the 5711 bracelet feel/heft at all. I wasn't a fan of the small date window. The dial didn't blow me away like I expected either. Personally, I think the 15202 has a higher degree of finishing too.

I also started to get enamored with the Patek 5975 from pictures and videos (I love the unique layout for reading three different scales). It's an anniversary, limited edition piece and with everyone focused on sports watches, the prices for these are compelling. Saw it in person...did nothing for me. I didn't think the strong, angular case fit the charm of the dial.

There are a lot of people that would agree with you. It is an extremely popular watch now but not so long ago you could get these well below retail. The Royal Oak, especially the 15 202, is sublime. I wore a Royal Oak perpetual calendar as my day-to-day watch for several years. It is the antithesis of cheap feeling, and the symmetry is stunning.

To each his own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2019, 09:09 AM   #272
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Rolex 116713 LB

Stunning watch but just didn’t suit me, bought new and sold back to the AD six weeks later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 04:01 AM   #273
nunzio66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509-0072, 16613
I wanted a knock-around watch that I could wear while traveling to dodgy places (South America, Africa) so I bought a Shinola. One day I noticed that the minute-hand of the chronograph had popped off and lodged itself until the second-hand, bringing the watch to a screeching halt. Although they repaired it for $25 I lost faith in the watch and never wore it again.

I only buy Rolex and Omega now.

Alan
N.J.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F9935B2C-D1F3-4BD9-879A-281B3512F558.jpeg (131.7 KB, 472 views)
nunzio66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 04:39 AM   #274
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I've had my 5167 for a few months now and I wear it every day. I love the simplicity and easy to read dial. Plus, nobody knows what it is (except the people at the PP AD or boutique). I like having a secret luxury watch. I am contemplating trading up for the gold model. We shall see. All in all, a fantastic watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROB View Post
Following up on last posts - my everyday is a Rolex Sub, ceramic, occasionally a Speedy... have never handled a 5167... but am on a waitlist for a 5167r - think I'll be disappointed?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2019, 08:42 AM   #275
dbfagan
"TRF" Member

Glashutte Original Senator Navigator. I loved it online, the original pilot watch, but hated it on my wrist
dbfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 12:54 AM   #276
RTG
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Biggest let down for me was a Blue Nautilus. So small and thin, just felt feminine on my wrist. I found Daytona’s too small as well. This is good news for a collector. Most of the watches I like are relatively available.

Biggest positive surprise was the Sub LV. That is one heck of a dial. The AP RO exceeded expectations too.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 01:47 AM   #277
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
DJII. Bought unseen. I could not stand that reese cup bezel
Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 03:28 PM   #278
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdaddylutz View Post
I thought the explorer 2 42 mm was the most durable? Others have said on this thread it feels cheap and light? I was actually considering this watch
I'm pretty surprised how often the Explorer II is mentioned in this thread, but I get that 42mm is a bit too large for some where as 40mm seems to work for everyone.

But...cheap and light? No way. It is substantial. Every time someone holds my Explorer II the first thing out their mouths is "wow this thing is heavy." Nobody ever says that about any of my other watches. In 4 years of nearly daily wear mine still looks brand new and I don't baby it at all. Very durable, very substantial watch.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2019, 03:30 PM   #279
chloebear
Banned

This thread needs some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 December 2019, 01:48 AM   #280
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
I'm pretty surprised how often the Explorer II is mentioned in this thread, but I get that 42mm is a bit too large for some where as 40mm seems to work for everyone.

But...cheap and light? No way. It is substantial. Every time someone holds my Explorer II the first thing out their mouths is "wow this thing is heavy." Nobody ever says that about any of my other watches. In 4 years of nearly daily wear mine still looks brand new and I don't baby it at all. Very durable, very substantial watch.

Not cheap and not light

BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 03:16 AM   #281
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Not cheap and not light

It's all perspective. Don't take it personal.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 03:56 AM   #282
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
It's all perspective. Don't take it personal.

I really didn’t . To each his own
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2019, 06:44 AM   #283
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Daytona did not match the hype.
Old 16 December 2019, 12:42 PM   #284
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburrito View Post
Daytona did not match the hype.
Kinda hard for this watch (stainless version) to live up to what many have built it up in their mind to be. I have worn the new version, and as much as I like it....it is underwhelming considering the hype and secondary market value.
Old 16 December 2019, 01:41 PM   #285
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
Not cheap and not light

You're not helping me....I'm seriously considering adding the Polar to go with my black Explorer II. Amazing picture.
Old 16 December 2019, 02:09 PM   #286
Anamelistic
Banned

Watch: Seiko SKX007
Tudor Heritage Black Bay. 3 adjustments on the clasp with no half links for sizing. A case so high it would satisfy Trumps deepest needs for a border wall and heavy enough to aid you in developing an awkward limp. I wore it to the DMV and they assumed I was there to apply for a handicap tag.
Anamelistic is offline   Reply With Quote