The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 December 2020, 10:19 PM   #31
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Ym2 yellow gold
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2020, 11:26 PM   #32
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Air King

They just don't sell
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 12:27 AM   #33
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I for one see the SD43 being discontinued and not replaced. Four Sea-Dwellers currently on offering (126600, 126603, 126660 and 126660 JC), it seems too many.

Looking back at the recent history of the Sea-Dweller, the 16600 was killed in 2008 with nothing to replace it until 2014. Then came the short-lived 116600, discontinued in 2017 and instantly replaced with the 126600. It looks to me like the Sea-Dweller has been kind of fickle lately.

The SD43 will be 4 years old already in March 2021 and it's probably not the first choice when it comes to Rolex divers, despite its inherent qualities. With the new Sub 126610 benefiting from a slightly larger case than its predecessor and most importantly redesigned lugs, the SD43 makes less sense and we have the Deepsea to cover the large diver segment, let's not forget. I see even more overlap than before between Sub and SD43, combined with the fact the Sea-Dweller was never meant to be a high volume seller in the first place. I could be wrong but I think its days are numbered, despite the fact the SD43 remains my absolute favourite black diver to this day (even if I'm a bit bored of black divers lately).

On the secondary market, now that the explosion from the first days following the 2020 launch has softened, the Sub41 and SD43 are both trading around $16k, give or take a few hundred. That tells me people are prepared to pay SD43 money for a Sub41. My crystal ball says bye bye SD43.
Interesting points, many I agree with. I have my SD43 MKI so discontinuing would only make mine more desirable.

The idea of trimming the diver line makes some sense, but I wonder if the DSSD wouldn’t be the one to go instead. It is a technical marvel, but just so large that few people can pull it off. The JC version dial is terrific, but that doesn’t change the massive proportions, particularly the thickness, of it. I think the buyer pool for the SD43 is far larger than for the DSSD, and if you’re going to make one and cut one, then make the one that has a better chance to sell more.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 12:34 AM   #34
Eagles4133
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 / 114060
Explorer 1 will most likely get the movement upgrade of the others, but for that they would have to work in what makes the current one a little different, such as the paraflex shock absorbers which makes it different that the 3131 which the Airking and Milgauss use. You could say that they maybe would change the size of the explorer but they are not a car company where everything needs to be the same. They are Rolex and can pretty much do what they want. It is nothing for them to have a one-off 39MM case size watch. For some companies it would make sense for all those items to align, but Rolex basically prints money and they are a non-profit.
Eagles4133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 02:35 AM   #35
T01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
Milgauss for sure
I'd say this is a solid guess.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 03:09 AM   #36
prnceofpersia23

Watch: 116500LN
Who knows with Rolex. You got watches like the Air-King, Milgauss, etc that people keep predicting will be goners, while watches like the OP39 and SD4K got short production runs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
prnceofpersia23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 04:40 AM   #37
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Luis View Post
No brainer. The Explorer I. Needs new movement so at least will get new number. I hope it stays same size.
Needs?? I don't think it needs a new movement at all, just a bit of a strong word you know. Considering the problems 32xx series movements have shown, the Explorer would do better if left alone, after all while out "exploring" what you need most in a watch is that it runs reliably.

I'm sure it will get updated soon though as it makes production/manufacture across the brand easier. Given the choice however, I'd stick with a 3130 Explorer for now, until a few more years when they figure out the 32xx issues.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 05:31 AM   #38
Cheapside Genie
"TRF" Member

I could see the Root Beer GMTs with Rose gold jubilee bracelet options, as they used to be (although yellow gold).
♛ 226627 Titanium YM, 126518LN YG Daytona, 116500LN Daytona Black, 116519LN WG Daytona Silver/Black Dial, 126600 Mk 1 SD50, 126711CHNR GMT II, 126710BLRO GMT II Oyster bracelet, 124060 Submariner, 214270 Explorer I Mk 2, 126334 Datejust Mint Green Jubilee
Cheapside Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 05:36 AM   #39
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary3535 View Post
Your thoughts / best guess on what models may be discontinued next ?

43mm bi metal seadweller its just odd and fits in nowhere
miguass GV black dial been around for ever

your thoughts ?
I don't think so. TT watches are increasingly more popular...
Old 3 March 2021, 07:16 PM   #40
varcuuvi
2024 Pledge Member

Milgauss or Yacht-Master II
varcuuvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 07:47 PM   #41
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Airking is certainly... Duh? Not a Big Pilot type of watch and historically the GMT has that segment covered.

I have difficulties seeing Rolex, the king of the tool watches, totally vacating the engineer niche. It has historical roots. However, the current Milgauss makes NO SENSE and it is far from compelling / competitive against Omega's movements. All IMHO and with respect to said watch and owners.
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 08:20 PM   #42
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
A 41mm Explorer would be a travesty, which doesn't mean that Rolex won't do it.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 08:24 PM   #43
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterE View Post
Airking is certainly... Duh? Not a Big Pilot type of watch and historically the GMT has that segment covered.

I have difficulties seeing Rolex, the king of the tool watches, totally vacating the engineer niche. It has historical roots. However, the current Milgauss makes NO SENSE and it is far from compelling / competitive against Omega's movements. All IMHO and with respect to said watch and owners.
The Air King needs more subdued colors, more lume, and maybe a reduction in size to 38mm.

Forty millimeters is not a bad size, so the colors and lume would be enough to give the watch more appeal.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 08:33 PM   #44
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The Air King needs more subdued colors, more lume, and maybe a reduction in size to 38mm.

Forty millimeters is not a bad size, so the colors and lume would be enough to give the watch more appeal.
Interesting suggestions... I still don't see it though.

In theory (you can tell I have gobbled up all Rolex marketing ) Rolex watches are designed as tools. Reducing the size to 38mm does not seem to go well with the tradition of large pilot watches so that they can be highly legible and worn over the pilot leather jackets...

That's why I say I don't see it fit anywhere. Airline pilots are covered with their GMTs. Other pilots? Well, unless it transforms into an IWC Big Pilot type of watch (which would never happen), not sure how that works. Specially if you already have a larger 41 mm go-anywhere dare-all highly legible explorer.

My 2 cents...
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 08:38 PM   #45
pam66
"TRF" Member

platona
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 08:58 PM   #46
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Have had my JC FOR 5 years now...
But now wearing my SD43 more...

I don’t think they will discontinue the JC as they have just changed the braclet and sizing etc...
Plus it seems to be selling very well
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 09:13 PM   #47
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Could see the BLNR discontinued in favor of Coke (RONR??) at around the 10 year mark?
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 09:48 PM   #48
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Both explorers. Milgauss and air king. I have a feeling this iteration of the air king will be gone for good. I can see a datejust version of it at some point. Milgauss may still be around for another year but exp for sure getting replaced in April. Two more years and we should be seeing a new Daytona too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote