The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 November 2020, 10:10 AM   #31
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I think the Yachtmaster looks good on you.

The CHNR looks great too, very classy and a perfect fit on you in my opinion.

If you still seek something larger, how about a Sea-Dweller 43mm or Explorer II 42 mm (particularly the polar Exp 2, the white dial makes it look even slightly bigger).
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 10:57 AM   #32
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Thank you again for the suggestions.

While my wrists are 7 3/4 - 8” they are quite round vice the flatter profiles some have so that’s probably why the YM isn’t too bad.

The WG YMII is definitely an option; finding one in a store may be a challenge but not impossible. It is quite pricey for being in rubber... but it does look incredible.

Cant say the P01 does anything for me although the ProPlof was considered. I think I have the solid diver though, not sure I need something else quite that rugged - I am probably looking for a more refined look or PM at this point.

Speed masters are an option, they definitely are a great size. I have considered the dark side of the moon, and haven’t dismissed it either. It would certainly look and wear differently than the others.

The Exp 2 looks good. I really need to try one of those on.

Breitlings aren’t my thing; I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one in person that truly jumped out at me, and they are usually quite busy dials.

I’ll have to look at the Grand Lange 1 more; it’s a beautiful watch and might be ok at 41mm. The Lange 1 is definitely too small though.

I’ll have to look into the AP ROO a little more. Admittedly another watch I haven’t had a chance to try on and probably won’t until l can travel to a more metropolitan area (once military travel regulations subside a little). Definitely an option though!

I’ll take another look at the Super Avenger II. Definitely easier to come by than some of the others.

I was actually looking at the Fifty Fathoms just yesterday. It didn’t do much for me, I’m not sure why. Cool history, big in the diver world but... meh.. I don’t know.

Previous Panerai’s included a steel 44mm and a titanium 47mm. Size wasn’t an issue but finish also wasn’t the same as the Rolex’s or Omegas..don’t think I can go back I’m afraid... which is a shame because I have a ton of straps haha.

The skydweller is definitely a solid contender. I love the blue but not sure I want another blue watch, and therefore think black is probably more likely.

I definitely liked the CHNR, but my wife wasn’t as much of a fan - I think skin tone concerned her, but then I think lights in an AD are a poor reflection of what it would actually look like.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 12:31 PM   #33
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Those of you who have larger APs, could you please post some pics?
I’m not a particularly dainty person and I’ve heard APs are considerably less robust than Rolex’s. Thoughts?
Old 8 November 2020, 01:58 PM   #34
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
Thank you again for the suggestions.

While my wrists are 7 3/4 - 8” they are quite round vice the flatter profiles some have so that’s probably why the YM isn’t too bad.

The WG YMII is definitely an option; finding one in a store may be a challenge but not impossible. It is quite pricey for being in rubber... but it does look incredible.

Cant say the P01 does anything for me although the ProPlof was considered. I think I have the solid diver though, not sure I need something else quite that rugged - I am probably looking for a more refined look or PM at this point.

Speed masters are an option, they definitely are a great size. I have considered the dark side of the moon, and haven’t dismissed it either. It would certainly look and wear differently than the others.

The Exp 2 looks good. I really need to try one of those on.

Breitlings aren’t my thing; I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one in person that truly jumped out at me, and they are usually quite busy dials.

I’ll have to look at the Grand Lange 1 more; it’s a beautiful watch and might be ok at 41mm. The Lange 1 is definitely too small though.

I’ll have to look into the AP ROO a little more. Admittedly another watch I haven’t had a chance to try on and probably won’t until l can travel to a more metropolitan area (once military travel regulations subside a little). Definitely an option though!

I’ll take another look at the Super Avenger II. Definitely easier to come by than some of the others.

I was actually looking at the Fifty Fathoms just yesterday. It didn’t do much for me, I’m not sure why. Cool history, big in the diver world but... meh.. I don’t know.

Previous Panerai’s included a steel 44mm and a titanium 47mm. Size wasn’t an issue but finish also wasn’t the same as the Rolex’s or Omegas..don’t think I can go back I’m afraid... which is a shame because I have a ton of straps haha.

The skydweller is definitely a solid contender. I love the blue but not sure I want another blue watch, and therefore think black is probably more likely.

I definitely liked the CHNR, but my wife wasn’t as much of a fan - I think skin tone concerned her, but then I think lights in an AD are a poor reflection of what it would actually look like.

Just to correct you, it is the WG YM42 on oysterflex, not the YMII. Two very different watches. I suggest you start digging into AP ROO. If you haven't tried any on, they wear much larger than the specs would suggest. I would say at least 2-3mm larger.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 04:08 PM   #35
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Just to correct you, it is the WG YM42 on oysterflex, not the YMII. Two very different watches. I suggest you start digging into AP ROO. If you haven't tried any on, they wear much larger than the specs would suggest. I would say at least 2-3mm larger.
Good catch - I’m aware; I misspoke/typed. Love the WG YM42, dislike the YMII.

Good to know about the AP. Right now I’m looking at the AP RO
15500ST.OO.1220ST.01

I like the look of the rose gold one but can’t swing 60k, whereas 30k is far more manageable. Would really have to try one on first though
Old 8 November 2020, 04:31 PM   #36
Lol-x
Facilitator

Fixed those photos for you.
You need to ensure they are the right way up before uploading.
Sky-Dweller seems like a good move for you.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 05:01 PM   #37
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Fixed those photos for you.
You need to ensure they are the right way up before uploading.
Sky-Dweller seems like a good move for you.
I appreciate it. They’re the right way up in my phones gallery?
Old 8 November 2020, 05:02 PM   #38
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

What are everyone’s thoughts on the VC overseas chrono? Or VC in general? It’s 41mm so might fit the size bill, is something a little different, and obviously many love VC. I just haven’t tried any on myself...
Thoughts?
Old 8 November 2020, 05:41 PM   #39
TTalk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandopat View Post
Apologies on the pics being rotated - I have no idea why this site does that.
Here ya go...

The pic of the YM is not quite representative because it's rotated away from straight on and that makes the dial look smaller than it is, but the YM does ride smaller/lower than the others.

If your YM rides on the outside of your wrist, you might consider adjusting links on the 12 and 6 o'clock sides to adjust the watch more to the inside of your wrist. It'll look bigger from your perspective.

By comparing wrist shots, I would not say your watches are necessarily relatively smaller than this member's watch is on his. Which I think looks just fine...

You're a mountain of a man. I think the zoomed out shot of you with the YM gives a distorted perception of size, relative to your overall body. If we were to rely on that you'd have a tennis ball sized clock on your wrist with a 3" wide and 3/4" thick links. And it would get in your way, every day.

On the wrist gives the best comparative look, imo. Here and here are two of many threads with pictures of men with big and small wrists wearing 36mm Rolexes. Browse through those, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that looks way too small for a wrist.

And thank you for your service.
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2020, 06:13 PM   #40
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTalk View Post
Here ya go...

The pic of the YM is not quite representative because it's rotated away from straight on and that makes the dial look smaller than it is, but the YM does ride smaller/lower than the others.

If your YM rides on the outside of your wrist, you might consider adjusting links on the 12 and 6 o'clock sides to adjust the watch more to the inside of your wrist. It'll look bigger from your perspective.

By comparing wrist shots, I would not say your watches are necessarily relatively smaller than this member's watch is on his. Which I think looks just fine...

You're a mountain of a man. I think the zoomed out shot of you with the YM gives a distorted perception of size, relative to your overall body. If we were to rely on that you'd have a tennis ball sized clock on your wrist with a 3" wide and 3/4" thick links. And it would get in your way, every day.

On the wrist gives the best comparative look, imo. Here and here are two of many threads with pictures of men with big and small wrists wearing 36mm Rolexes. Browse through those, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that looks way too small for a wrist.

And thank you for your service.
Appreciate you fixing the pics. I used the zoomed out shot to provide some relativity on why from afar it can certainly be considered to be on the smaller size, and why my wife makes mention of it. The YM sits perfectly centered, I just took an angled shot, which you are absolutely right is not necessarily a good portrayal of how it looks compared to the others.

What does and doesn’t fit well is always a personal choice. When it comes to zoomed in pics I think many/most with an 8” wrist might be able to manage a 40mm watch - I think it becomes more problematic when you zoom out and see how that wrist fits on a person, hence farther out pic. I think most would agree 40 is as small as I can go, and that 40 should be one which looks bigger given the choice, not the reverse.

Also, thank you to all who thanked me for my service; I rarely know what to say - I love what I do, even if we (my wife and I are both active duty Marines and she has actually been doing this for 25 years vice my meager 13), occasionally press pause on our lives for 6-12 months at a time.