The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2020, 04:44 AM   #31
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Lange for the better movement finish and value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 04:54 AM   #32
Stoffel
Banned

I prefer the Lange by a mile, although I like a seconds hand and so prefer the 1815.

Have you considered the vacheron constantin patrimony traditionnelle with the sub seconds at six o’clock? If I had a need for a dress watch that would probably be my pick.
Stoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 04:56 AM   #33
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
I’m a biased owner I want to add a light colored dial on strap and as I look at PP or JLC, I keep gravitating towards another offering from ALS despite not wanting to be overly redundant in a very small collection.

And, yes, I would highly recommend looking at the Saxonia outsize date...so versatile in my opinion. Again, biased owner...

Wow! Stunning piece

Old 29 December 2020, 05:08 AM   #34
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Cellini...not even close!!
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 05:10 AM   #35
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
ALS between the two, but I’d look at the VC Patrimony Traditionnelle small seconds as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoffel View Post
I prefer the Lange by a mile, although I like a seconds hand and so prefer the 1815.

Have you considered the vacheron constantin patrimony traditionnelle with the sub seconds at six o’clock? If I had a need for a dress watch that would probably be my pick.
I think Vacheron is pretty much the coolest watch brand out there. I covet pretty much every model in their lineup. Unfortunately I'm trying to stick to a more reasonable budget. Is there anything cooler than the Maltese Cross buckle on a Vacheron?
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 05:12 AM   #36
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I was in the same dilemma and chose the 1815 up/down. I was initially going to buy saxonia thin but it just didn't do it for me when on the wrist. Once I tried the 1815 line, it was an easy decision. Rolex does great sports watches.. get a true dress watch from one of the best brands on the planet.
NYG1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 05:12 AM   #37
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/a-lan...-white-gold-2/

37mm white gold. Beautifully finished movement for a song.

Chase has a rose gold 40mm for sale on the forum.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=778600

You should be able to get it for a tax discount or maybe that plus another 5% an AD (not boutique).
Thank you for passing these on! I saw the white gold one on David's web site, but prefer the pink gold. You'd scarcely know they made the pink gold model. You only ever see the white gold ones.
Old 29 December 2020, 05:19 AM   #38
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would go with the Lange. As good as it gets for the price.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 05:26 AM   #39
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Cellini would be an easy choice for me.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 05:33 AM   #40
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Lange for all the reasons stated, but the dial as bauhaus as it may be, it is boring as *bleep*.

The Cellini is a beautiful underrated piece, but everything else is “ordinary” or standard Rolex.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 05:38 AM   #41
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristis View Post
these watches look very different so I’m surprised they fulfill the same criteria, or maybe it’s suggesting you need additional criteria to narrow the list and compare more similar watches. the ALS is far more minimalist and note it doesn’t have a seconds hand, something that would drive me crazy.

My collection was trending towards larger and larger watches with my Explorer II being my foundation piece. Then I did an about face when I got my Explorer. Suddenly I really really liked wearing a smaller, cleaner (no date) watch. A couple of years ago I never would have considered a watch without a seconds hand, but I'm really loving the minimalism of the Lange.

I agree that the two I've chosen are quite different. I've been on the hunt for a dress watch for two years and it seems like there are two camps; Relatively inexpensive steel models and extremely cost prohibitive gold models. These two - assuming I can buy new at a discount or gently used - seem to fit the bill and the budget.
Old 29 December 2020, 06:13 AM   #42
Tristis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
My collection was trending towards larger and larger watches with my Explorer II being my foundation piece. Then I did an about face when I got my Explorer. Suddenly I really really liked wearing a smaller, cleaner (no date) watch. A couple of years ago I never would have considered a watch without a seconds hand, but I'm really loving the minimalism of the Lange.

I agree that the two I've chosen are quite different. I've been on the hunt for a dress watch for two years and it seems like there are two camps; Relatively inexpensive steel models and extremely cost prohibitive gold models. These two - assuming I can buy new at a discount or gently used - seem to fit the bill and the budget.

Thanks for the extra details- it does feel like adding the Lange to have along with you explorer will give you something that adding the Cellini wouldn’t (mainly the display case back and seeing the excellent movement finishing that ALS are known for).

Tristis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 06:17 AM   #43
mgd55
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 16570
I’ll add to the ALS support. I felt like the Saxonia Thin was slightly underwhelming when I finally spent some time handling the range, and ended up firmly in the Outsize Date camp. Yes, it departs from the strict, traditional definition of a dress watch, but it feels more substantial and it’s a little more interesting imho. It’s a step up in price, but to me it’s also a more versatile watch than the Thin.

The Cellini moonphase is the one from that line that really stands out to me, but I don’t think it’s in the same league as ALS.

mgd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 08:12 AM   #44
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd55 View Post
I’ll add to the ALS support. I felt like the Saxonia Thin was slightly underwhelming when I finally spent some time handling the range, and ended up firmly in the Outsize Date camp. Yes, it departs from the strict, traditional definition of a dress watch, but it feels more substantial and it’s a little more interesting imho. It’s a step up in price, but to me it’s also a more versatile watch than the Thin.

The Cellini moonphase is the one from that line that really stands out to me, but I don’t think it’s in the same league as ALS.

Sounds like I absolutely need to see these in person and look at some options. Does anyone know if there's a Lange dealer in the Dallas Metroplex?
Old 29 December 2020, 08:15 AM   #45
Moose500
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
ALS all day long, but 1815 is they way I would (and hopefully will someday) go.
Moose500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 08:21 AM   #46
ajw99
"TRF" Member

I'm a big fan of ALS. I do find the base Saxonia a bit bland from the front but the back is like a piece of art. I'm just not a Cellini fan, regardless, except for the last Danaos models that haven't been produced for well over a decade (I believe).
ajw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 08:30 AM   #47
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Cellini..more gold..tougher movement..still not particularly waterproof if that matters..
Lange..less gold.. actual hand made workmanship...kind of boring unless you spend tons..
I would go for the Cellini..but the Moonphase which is stunning...and different.
The VC Patrimony is slick..
But servicing on Lange or VC..in 10 years..is a gonna..kill ya..if they are even in business anymore..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 09:34 AM   #48
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Sounds like I absolutely need to see these in person and look at some options. Does anyone know if there's a Lange dealer in the Dallas Metroplex?

Houston is the nearest AD.
Old 29 December 2020, 09:40 AM   #49
copperjohn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp
I do like the Lange, but me, personally, I need a seconds hand.
copperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 09:52 AM   #50
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Saxonia, and I've tried on the thin. Incredible in person and very comfortable. I've also tried the Cellini and it was nice, but the Lange sung to me more.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 10:01 AM   #51
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperjohn View Post
I do like the Lange, but me, personally, I need a seconds hand.

Me too. I like the ALS 1815 with the small seconds at the bottom. No other complications.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 10:01 AM   #52
jed11
"TRF" Member

To complicate things...add the Patek 5196 in the mix

jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 10:20 AM   #53
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
To complicate things...add the Patek 5196 in the mix

That does compliment things! I love most all of the Calatravas, in particular the sector dial. Even used that's way out of price range unfortunately.
Old 29 December 2020, 10:21 AM   #54
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Houston is the nearest AD.
Well that explains why I couldn't find anything in Dallas! Dang I might have to make a sight unseen call or wait until our trip to Vegas later this year.
Old 29 December 2020, 10:22 AM   #55
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Saxonia, and I've tried on the thin. Incredible in person and very comfortable. I've also tried the Cellini and it was nice, but the Lange sung to me more.
That's the magic I keep hearing about. I know it's hard to explain it without seeing it in person. Did you try on the white or pink gold? Just curious your thoughts between the two.
Old 29 December 2020, 10:54 AM   #56
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
ALS has better finishing, beautiful case-back, and more refined craftsmanship...

HOWEVER, I think the Cellini has a very robust movement (same 3132 in your explorer) and would be easier to service down the road. Also, I prefer larger crowns and the Cellini has an attractive crown. I also like the Cellini better in terms of overall case design, lug appearance, and dial furniture is more legible so it is more functional for time-reading.

So between these two I'd personally pick the Cellini.

Frankly if you want a GREAT dress watch and are willing to branch out I'd say GS manual-wind SBGW231 is superbly finished, classy, and beautiful, at a great bargain. You could always stick with Rolex and use a nice OP or DJ as a dress piece. I love the smaller (36 mm) OP for this, and the white OP36 ref. 116000 could easily pair with a black strap and absolutely slay as a dress piece.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 10:59 AM   #57
Auger
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP
lange for me
Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 10:59 AM   #58
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
ALS has better finishing, beautiful case-back, and more refined craftsmanship...

HOWEVER, I think the Cellini has a very robust movement (same 3132 in your explorer) and would be easier to service down the road. Also, I prefer larger crowns and the Cellini has an attractive crown. I also like the Cellini better in terms of overall case design, lug appearance, and dial furniture is more legible so it is more functional for time-reading.

So between these two I'd personally pick the Cellini.

Frankly if you want a GREAT dress watch and are willing to branch out I'd say GS manual-wind SBGW231 is superbly finished, classy, and beautiful, at a great bargain. You could always stick with Rolex and use a nice OP or DJ as a dress piece. I love the smaller (36 mm) OP for this, and the white OP36 ref. 116000 could easily pair with a black strap and absolutely slay as a dress piece.

Thanks for such a well thought out response! My original thought was 2 nice watches or one gold watch. When I was leaning steel dress watch I had it down to the SBGW231 and the JLC Master Control with date. I absolutely love the GS!

Old 29 December 2020, 11:05 AM   #59
ts3
"TRF" Member

The Cellini does nothing for me in terms of aesthetics which leaves the Saxonia Thin.

I very much like minimalist stuff and the Saxonia Thin is as minimalist / "form follows function" / "less is more" as it gets and very much in the tradition of the Bauhaus. It certainly looks great on pics. On my wrist, however, the 37mm Saxonia Thin felt a little too austere, possibly too much so for long term love. It also wears larger than one might expect as the bezel, lugs, and markers are all extremely narrow and the dial as empty as they come.

If it was a little less expensive I'd recommend the new 38mm 1815 Thin with enamel dial instead, an absolutely gorgeous piece. Within your budget there are lots of other past and current 1815s that I would look at before deciding on the Saxonia Thin.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:06 AM   #60
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
The Saxonia by a long shot!

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a. lange & sohne , cellini , dress watch , saxonia