The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2020, 11:15 AM   #61
DJTOSUB
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of the Saxonia or Cellini. But definitely covet an 1815 or stretch to get a Lange 1.

If you want a dressier Rolex get a DJ. If you want to venture away from the crown you should consider JLC or GS.

Interested in knowing what you finally decide on.
DJTOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:20 AM   #62
slillestrand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 116509
Between the two you are looking at: Rolex takes it for me for not only looks, but other factors as well.

I gave my father Cellini Date - white gold / blue dial / tobacco leather strap.

It's a Rolex, where it every day with confidence and if ever an issue service is easy as it gets.

Lange is a great collector type watch, but the logistics needed to buy and own one take a higher level of commitment.

Scott
slillestrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:33 AM   #63
Justindo
"TRF" Member

The only Cellini I really like is the Moonphase but the time only ones do have nice cases and dials and feel good on the wrist. The Cellinis are very reliable, mainly because the movement is essentially the same movement that's in an Oyster Perpetual, although Langes are very reliable with robust movements as well. You'll spend a little more to service a Lange but it should still be currently around $1000 and Lange has excellent service in the US, which is unusual for a Richemont brand.

That written, Lange has the best hand finished movements of any production brand while the Cellini's movement is a machine made unadorned workhorse; there's a reason they put sapphire casebacks on Langes and solid casebacks on Rolexes. Langes are remarkable values in terms of quality, even at MSRP, and you can usually get a decent discount on them, although that's starting to change. You can also go grey with Lange if the AD won't play. Personally, the Lange is an easy choice and their handwind movements feel amazing to wind while the automatic Cellini will be just like your Explorer. I'd personally spend a little more, however, and go with an 1815, mainly because I like having a second hand and I like the design and more robust feel of the 1815 more than the Saxonia Thin. You really need to try these on at the dealer.

As others have mentioned, you might also want to also look at the 38mm manual wind VC Traditionnelle, which looks somewhat like the Saxonia Thin but has a second hand and looks better, in my opinion. The movement finishing on the Lange is better, however, but I think the VC has a nicer dial. I'd avoid Patek, which is overpriced and offers inferior movement finishing quality compared to Lange and VC. For what it's worth, I own watches from all three brands as well as Rolex.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:41 AM   #64
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

lange
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:46 AM   #65
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Lange. And on a side note, I'm sad you sold the Exp 2. You always took such nice pictures of that watch.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:47 AM   #66
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
I'd go with A Lange & Sohne~
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:51 AM   #67
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I vote Lange. The minute markers splitting the hour markers on the Cellini makes my eyes hurt.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:59 AM   #68
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Sorry I’m not up to speed here but did you have, and part with, a BLRO? IIRC that was your grail, or maybe I’m mistaken.

At any rate, I would choose the Cellini here. But I’d be more keen on 1815 up/down and that would win for me.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 12:08 PM   #69
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Cellini!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 12:27 PM   #70
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
ALS between the two, but I’d look at the VC Patrimony Traditionnelle small seconds as well.
This!
Old 29 December 2020, 01:34 PM   #71
G.Montag
Banned

Subjectively, the Cellini is a much nicer looking watch. Saxonia looks like a generic watch you can buy at a flea market for $10. Also, no one except for people on watch forums knows what a “Lange” is. Whether that’s important, only you can decide.

The only thing I don’t like about the Cellini is the name. It sounds like something that could be the product of a collaboration between Gucci and Celine Dion.
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 01:54 PM   #72
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Montag View Post
Subjectively, the Cellini is a much nicer looking watch. Saxonia looks like a generic watch you can buy at a flea market for $10. Also, no one except for people on watch forums knows what a “Lange” is. Whether that’s important, only you can decide.

The only thing I don’t like about the Cellini is the name. It sounds like something that could be the product of a collaboration between Gucci and Celine Dion.

Watch the light glint and dance across those batons under the AR coated sapphire and you'll get it. The stock photo is rubbish.
Old 29 December 2020, 01:59 PM   #73
steveclr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
I vote Lange. The minute markers splitting the hour markers on the Cellini makes my eyes hurt.
Agreed - looking for a minimalist watch here - even with my eyes, I can determine the minute - Lange for this type of watch
steveclr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 02:08 PM   #74
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
When I read you title I thought really, can this even be close as I'm not a Cellini fan. Not an ugly watch by any stretch but I'm not a fan. That being said the Saxona thin is not a pretty watch. Between these two I would go with the Rolex but I would try going used and find a Calatrava small seconds for around 17K.
Old 29 December 2020, 02:22 PM   #75
LSU-MOOSE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I chose the Cellini
LSU-MOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 02:27 PM   #76
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Lange
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 02:35 PM   #77
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

A few thoughts about Lange.

First, don't bother with preventative maintenance. Send it in for servicing only when you notice something wrong. They're built robustly and can last well over a decade before needing servicing. You won't be saving any money by getting preventative maintenance done.

Second, unless you insist upon buying new, go preowned. Most standard-production Langes, including the models we're talking about, take a hit after being bought brand new. There are quite a few good preowned Lange dealers in the US. One very popular dealer, which is local to me and does a huge Lange business, is currently asking $15.5K for a preowned 40mm white gold 1815 233.026. To me, that's a much more attractive watch than a Saxonia Thin. Feel free to PM me if you get serious about a preowned Lange and want me to check out any of them in person at this particular dealer. I've gone there for other folks on the Forum to look at used Langes they were interested in, to make sure they're not overpolished, etc. (you have to know what to look for on the lugs, the caseback screws, etc., if overpolishing even matters to you -- as well as looking at other things such as whether the crystals have AR coating, which isn't present on many older Langes).

Third, in addition to the 1815 and 1815 Up/Down that some people mentioned as an alternative to a Saxonia Thin, there are other older models that MIGHT be within your budget (though preowned prices have risen on so many brands lately!). Examples of those other families include the older Langematik (date or no-date) models and the older Saxonias. Below is an example of a white gold Langematik (no-date) that's about 20 years old and has the beautiful Sax-0-Mat (zero-reset) automatic movement with microrotor, as well as a yellow gold Langematik with Big Date that has basically the same movement.

Finally, if you want to research different Lange models, check out the "Historic Data" tab on the spreadsheet at http://goo.gl/vWFC7Q.

CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 04:29 PM   #78
CyclePath1
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ, SubC, PAM
ALS and it's not even close for me
CyclePath1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 08:13 PM   #79
Vanalich
"TRF" Member

Saxonia, no question here. It's just a different level of horology plus you get exposed to another (and highly revered) brand

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Vanalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 09:34 PM   #80
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
A few thoughts about Lange.

First, don't bother with preventative maintenance. Send it in for servicing only when you notice something wrong. They're built robustly and can last well over a decade before needing servicing. You won't be saving any money by getting preventative maintenance done.

Second, unless you insist upon buying new, go preowned. Most standard-production Langes, including the models we're talking about, take a hit after being bought brand new. There are quite a few good preowned Lange dealers in the US. One very popular dealer, which is local to me and does a huge Lange business, is currently asking $15.5K for a preowned 40mm white gold 1815 233.026. To me, that's a much more attractive watch than a Saxonia Thin. Feel free to PM me if you get serious about a preowned Lange and want me to check out any of them in person at this particular dealer. I've gone there for other folks on the Forum to look at used Langes they were interested in, to make sure they're not overpolished, etc. (you have to know what to look for on the lugs, the caseback screws, etc., if overpolishing even matters to you -- as well as looking at other things such as whether the crystals have AR coating, which isn't present on many older Langes).

Third, in addition to the 1815 and 1815 Up/Down that some people mentioned as an alternative to a Saxonia Thin, there are other older models that MIGHT be within your budget (though preowned prices have risen on so many brands lately!). Examples of those other families include the older Langematik (date or no-date) models and the older Saxonias. Below is an example of a white gold Langematik (no-date) that's about 20 years old and has the beautiful Sax-0-Mat (zero-reset) automatic movement with microrotor, as well as a yellow gold Langematik with Big Date that has basically the same movement.

Finally, if you want to research different Lange models, check out the "Historic Data" tab on the spreadsheet at http://goo.gl/vWFC7Q.

Never buy a polished Lange. The company don't polish, they laser weld - as in build up, rather than work down - any imperfections.

And yes, Lange is in a different league. (My own below.)

mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 09:41 PM   #81
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Saxonia, but if the Cellini is the moonphase I would go for Rolex.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 09:46 PM   #82
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

Cellini for me.
Old 29 December 2020, 09:57 PM   #83
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Neither. I prefer JLC pre-owned and save 10k for a watch that is arguably as good and aesthetically pleasing. Check out the options available from our Trusted Sellers.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 10:02 PM   #84
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Lange, no question
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 11:56 PM   #85
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Houston is the nearest AD.
You'll either have to go to Houston or Austin.

I would buy pre-owned, an 1815 or the previous generation of Lange 1 would be right near your budget. I honestly wasn't a fan of the Lange Ultra Thin until I saw it in person when I was in Houston over Thanksgiving; the online photos do not do it justice. I dang near bought it on the spot, and I still want one to compliment my Lange 1.

I was looking for a dress watch for a few months this year, and I was near your price range; I ended up with a previous generation Lange 1 in yellow gold. The other pieces I was considering that are in the price range, preowned, are: Patek 5196, 1815, Saxonia Automatic, and Vacheron Traditionalle small seconds.
Old 30 December 2020, 12:03 AM   #86
cbondanz
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG DD40
I’ll go against the masses and say Cellini. It’s more interesting, love the bezel detail and that Lange is a little boring. The movement is definitely gorgeous, but how often will you actually stare at it, verses the dial?
But do agree with others here, whichever route you choice, purchase pre-owned.
cbondanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:06 AM   #87
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
ALS without question. It's a different level of refinement in a dress watch.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 12:10 AM   #88
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
You'll either have to go to Houston or Austin.

I would buy pre-owned, an 1815 or the previous generation of Lange 1 would be right near your budget. I honestly wasn't a fan of the Lange Ultra Thin until I saw it in person when I was in Houston over Thanksgiving; the online photos do not do it justice. I dang near bought it on the spot, and I still want one to compliment my Lange 1.

I was looking for a dress watch for a few months this year, and I was near your price range; I ended up with a previous generation Lange 1 in yellow gold. The other pieces I was considering that are in the price range, preowned, are: Patek 5196, 1815, Saxonia Automatic, and Vacheron Traditionalle small seconds.
Which Lange 1 do you own? Pics?
Old 30 December 2020, 12:32 AM   #89
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
That's the magic I keep hearing about. I know it's hard to explain it without seeing it in person. Did you try on the white or pink gold? Just curious your thoughts between the two.
I tried on the white gold. I'm not sure the pink gold was available. Can't remember.

I did try on the yellow and rose gold versions of the 5196 on the same day. I loved both of those too, maybe even more.

I also tried on the white gold version of the 5196 earlier in the year. At the time it didn't do much for me (the white gold) even though I really wanted it to. I was quite disappointed. But this is a watch that when I see in photos it really grabs me, it was sort of a let down in person. Where I think the opposite of the Saxonia... in pictures it's nice, but in person it was so much better.

I tried the white gold 5196 again recently and I had a change of heart. I do think the drab lighting in the store was causing it to seem blah. It still wasn't quite the same as the marketing photos make it out to be. My 2¢ anyway.

gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2020, 01:03 AM   #90
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Which Lange 1 do you own? Pics?
I have the previous generation Lange 1 in yellow gold (with the L905.1 movement). I wasn't sure about yellow gold, but I think it works so well with this watch; it was how the Lange 1 was first released. The other thing that sealed the deal for me with the yellow gold over rose gold was that the Lange 1s with the L905.1 movement have satin finished sides in yellow, and it's an all polished case with rose gold (I love the contrast). Also, using the seal on the case back, I was able to tell that my Lange 1 case was made by AP - which was something I was looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (1).jpg (73.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (97.2 KB, 182 views)

Tags
a. lange & sohne , cellini , dress watch , saxonia