The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 March 2021, 10:57 AM   #61
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Oh, please. Let's not bring "cancel culture" to TRF. The origin of the term "third world" is not pejorative. And neither is its common use pejorative. It is just one way to describe characteristics of a country. No one said that the "third world" country or people are lesser than others. Its merely a statement of condition. Everyone seems so ready to take offense at everything today.

agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:01 AM   #62
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceproductions View Post
What country and what watch? No need to share the details, of course, if you aren't comfortable. I totally understand.

Personally, I lived in Baghdad for a year with my Batman, and no one cared. I was also flying through some truly dodgy countries/places. To 99% of the people, they only see a regular watch.
Kenya for the majority.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 02:04 PM   #63
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Take it with you, you may need it in exchange for a plane ticket out if sh*t hits the f*n
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 02:11 PM   #64
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Oh, please. Let's not bring "cancel culture" to TRF. The origin of the term "third world" is not pejorative. And neither is its common use pejorative. It is just one way to describe characteristics of a country. No one said that the "third world" country or people are lesser than others. Its merely a statement of condition. Everyone seems so ready to take offense at everything today.
There a parts in highly developed countries that it’s not safe to walk on the wrong place and loose your watch ....not only in developing countries.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 02:25 PM   #65
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
So true. People just want to be offended these days.

All of you who have felt offended by what I said merely prove this point.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:11 PM   #66
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Kenya for the majority.
See my previous post on this thread if it is Kenya. Not only will your watch be safe there, but it may be safer than in the capital cities of certain European countries, and you’ll likely meet a number of people with very similar watches to yours. Until very recently there was even a Rolex AD that I garnered a BLNR, LVc, Black Daytona and a SD43 (and apparently had a Blue SkyDweller in the safe but never got to see that one). There are other ADs selling high end timepieces.

Obviously if someone goes out for a walk at 3am in a seedy part of town there is a chance one’s luck may turn, but the same could be said of anywhere. I’m sure there are certain places in London taking a stroll with a sleeveless shirt and a LVc - during the afternoon - can have interesting results. But personally I feel very safe. I even once left a limited edition Tolstoy Montblanc fountain pen at the barber shop, and when I rushed back in a panic half a day later they had kept it for me.

TLDR: Either people will ignore your watch, or those who notice will be fellow savants with similar/better watches. Upmarket areas have quite a number of people wearing pretty good timepieces. And by good timepieces I don’t mean a Sub.

———————————-

It depends on what developing country you are moving to, because not all of them are the same. For example, I have seen the highest concentration of luxury watches in certain exclusive spots in Nairobi than I have seen in certain private clubs in London! And talking about London, a Hulk is definitely in more danger on an open wrist there than it would be in Lagos.

I remember taking the RER train from Paris to CDG airport, and having the watch I was wearing at the time properly eyed by some nice young men. When I’m home in Nairobi I walk about in rolled up sleeves, something I’d never do in a large European capital (interestingly I never have that worry in the States).

So, it depends.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 08:33 PM   #67
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Riskier wearing a Rolex visibly in London than in Bangkok.

...and on the topic of third world, here’s some getting up to speed to those who may not have caught up on the subject...

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ld-you-call-it
Old 3 March 2021, 10:13 PM   #68
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Long-term storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Riskier wearing a Rolex visibly in London than in Bangkok.

...and on the topic of third world, here’s some getting up to speed to those who may not have caught up on the subject...

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...ld-you-call-it

That’s not the result that comes up with the search that I put in?

In fact, I have to go looking through many, many results until I find any website that makes reference to the term being offensive.

Catching up? How about rushing off, to find something offensive about the phrase.

Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:02 PM   #69
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
That’s not the result that comes up with the search that I put in?

In fact, I have to go looking through many, many results until I find any website that makes reference to the term being offensive.

Catching up? How about rushing off, to find something offensive about the phrase.

You seem to be taking this personally.
Old 3 March 2021, 11:06 PM   #70
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
See my previous post on this thread if it is Kenya. Not only will your watch be safe there, but it may be safer than in the capital cities of certain European countries, and you’ll likely meet a number of people with very similar watches to yours. Until very recently there was even a Rolex AD that I garnered a BLNR, LVc, Black Daytona and a SD43 (and apparently had a Blue SkyDweller in the safe but never got to see that one). There are other ADs selling high end timepieces.

Obviously if someone goes out for a walk at 3am in a seedy part of town there is a chance one’s luck may turn, but the same could be said of anywhere. I’m sure there are certain places in London taking a stroll with a sleeveless shirt and a LVc - during the afternoon - can have interesting results. But personally I feel very safe. I even once left a limited edition Tolstoy Montblanc fountain pen at the barber shop, and when I rushed back in a panic half a day later they had kept it for me.

TLDR: Either people will ignore your watch, or those who notice will be fellow savants with similar/better watches. Upmarket areas have quite a number of people wearing pretty good timepieces. And by good timepieces I don’t mean a Sub.

———————————-

It depends on what developing country you are moving to, because not all of them are the same. For example, I have seen the highest concentration of luxury watches in certain exclusive spots in Nairobi than I have seen in certain private clubs in London! And talking about London, a Hulk is definitely in more danger on an open wrist there than it would be in Lagos.

I remember taking the RER train from Paris to CDG airport, and having the watch I was wearing at the time properly eyed by some nice young men. When I’m home in Nairobi I walk about in rolled up sleeves, something I’d never do in a large European capital (interestingly I never have that worry in the States).

So, it depends.
BLNR Nairobi, thank you very much for this comprehensive note. Super helpful. We’ll be traveling throughout the region but domiciled in Kenya. Your note gives me great reassurance. I’ve spent time in Kenya in the past, but not for extended periods.

Thanks again.
Old 3 March 2021, 11:08 PM   #71
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
Take it with you, you may need it in exchange for a plane ticket out if sh*t hits the f*n
Appreciate your point. We have a plan (or at least the gov’t has a plan for us) should things go south. However, I’m not too worried w Kenya.
Old 3 March 2021, 11:16 PM   #72
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

All, I’m sorry if I offended anyone with the third-world comment. Especially those from the region. Live and learn, should have said developing. I know better.

However, I will add; the majority on this forum are from developed countries. The concern is not how YOU perceive the comment, but rather, how it would be perceived by the locals from said country of reference. I’ve traveled to over 85 countries, and know for a fact that some would have been offended by my blanket categorization. Therefore, I think we should stop bickering about what’s right and wrong, as our “opinions” from developed countries is essentially moot. Cheers and thanks again all.
Old 4 March 2021, 01:53 AM   #73
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Long-term storage

Quote:
You seem to be taking this personally.

It’s not possible is it, not from people on a forum, many of which don’t know one another?

And certainly not so much as to labour the point like you and others have. After all, you went to the effort of educating us with the use of a Google screenshot.

The topic was about security and it’s ended up with the OP feeling like he has to apologise for the use of a term we all know is often used innocently.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 09:55 AM   #74
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s not possible is it, not from people on a forum, many of which don’t know one another?

And certainly not so much as to labour the point like you and others have. After all, you went to the effort of educating us with the use of a Google screenshot.

The topic was about security and it’s ended up with the OP feeling like he has to apologise for the use of a term we all know is often used innocently.

OP has spoken and I applaud him.

I’ll leave it at that
Old 4 March 2021, 10:10 AM   #75
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
OP has spoken and I applaud him.

I’ll leave it at that

Indeed. Best to the OP.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 10:26 AM   #76
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Where to keep the watch box ?
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 11:43 PM   #77
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
I recently had a bank notify me that the branch was closing in two months due to lack of traffic and to empty my box. So, if you decide on storing in bank, be sure it’s a busy branch that is unlikely to close while you’re abroad.
Good advice. Branch closings are happening all over due partly to the Covid economy and more online/remote banking.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 01:11 AM   #78
biguk997
"TRF" Member

Id probably leave it with a family member to keep it wound occasionally.
biguk997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 10:32 AM   #79
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pause, or just stop? Please make it the latter.

You’re talking about ‘prevention’ and the point I’m making is that police response is generally retrospective, regardless of the situation.

The whole point of this thread is safeguarding your watches/belongings in advance. Someone else who contributed to this thread was spot-on; If you have a safe and have the misfortune to have a home invasion, you’ll be asked to show them it’s location anyway.

There are more people who have expensive watches and other items in their home in the UK without cctv/alarms, than those who do, fact.

Remember this conversation when your alarm goes off and you think the police are coming to your aid rapidly. Then come back...

Actually, don’t.

Your a nice guy.

Bye bye

UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 12:53 PM   #80
Viceproductions
"TRF" Member

Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post

———————————-

So, it depends.
Viceproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2021, 07:53 AM   #81
nicewatchbox
2024 Pledge Member

Bank Safe is the only way to go for such a long period.

You should buy extra insurance too if you have another jewelry.
nicewatchbox is offline   Reply With Quote