The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2021, 04:59 AM   #1
Isbell
"TRF" Member

OP39 Pricing

Howdy folks,

As the title implies, I am curious about your opinions on the current prices of the OP39s- the white dial models specifically. This was on the top of the list for my next acquisition until September when the discontinuation of the model caused its resale value to double

I understand the market uptick for Rolex in general is not going anywhere, but I just can't see a simple, time only 3 hander (without the luxuries of more expensive clasps and bracelets, too) holding steady at this price point indefinitely. I am reaching out to get others' opinions, however, because I am by no means an expert on market fluctuations and Rolex pricing like many on here are. Please provide your opinions on the sustainability of this huge increase in price for Rolex's most basic watch and when you think it may correct itself and be more in line with how it was pre-discontinuation.

Thanks.
Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 05:27 AM   #2
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
OP39 Pricing

The OP39 white is simply a very gorgeous 3 hand watch, and to make matters worse Rolex discontinued after about 2 years making it one of the if not the shortest run model in Rolex lineup. That can explain the price reflection on the resale market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 February 2021, 05:46 AM   #3
AndrewMeadville
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP39, DJ36, BB58
The white dialed model is truly exquisite. Add the short two year production run and you have an all time classic. During the 5 year run of the 39OP the line was much loved by the watch community. I personally know collectors who wouldn’t touch a Rolex due to the attached preconceived stigma associated with the brand that went absolutely head over heals for the model back in 2015 and just had to have one and did in fact acquire one. I personally was lucky enough to find the one I was after, the Dark Rhodium, during my travels abroad. Mine actually just celebrated its 1 year birthday on February 12. Picked it up at an AD in Prague last year and it has received ample wrist time since. An added perk was after getting the 20% VAT refund back and then the model being discontinued, I’ve had a 100% return on investment. I expect the entire line to hold steady in the near term and appreciate nicely long term. Especially the white dial. Not bad for a simple three hander.
AndrewMeadville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 07:32 AM   #4
luckyace
"TRF" Member

Andrew's right on the money. I was never interested in Rolex (except for the 16570) because of the brand image and the flashy designs...until my first encounter with the OP39s. I loved the simplicity and the size so much I ended up picking up all five variants. I didn't set out to collect the full set but in retrospect, I'm glad I did. I

t's inexplicable why Rolex decided to replace the 39s with 41s and add the double stick indicies. Instead, I wish they'd have changed the first 3 color variants to match the black/white version with lumed stick indicies all the way around and neutral pip colors.
luckyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 08:42 AM   #5
bremersm
Banned

If Rolex was smart they would release white dial Explorer one to replace the beloved OP39 white.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2021, 09:03 AM   #6
AndrewMeadville
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP39, DJ36, BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
If Rolex was smart they would release white dial Explorer one to replace the beloved OP39 white.
If this happens.... TAKE. MY. MONEY!!!
AndrewMeadville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 11:26 AM   #7
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMeadville View Post
If this happens.... TAKE. MY. MONEY!!!
Probably would get my money too.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:24 AM   #8
jlv982
2024 Pledge Member

The white explorer is coming!!!! (Hopefully)
jlv982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:28 AM   #9
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I feel your pain.
I've got a DJ with a white dial and just don't need a date.
I'm still young enough to have the mental agility to know what day it is and what date it is, without looking at a watch.
Old 23 February 2021, 12:41 PM   #10
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

It’s simply a great three-hander. Perfect size. Uncluttered, classic styling. Robust movement. Great for work or play like a Submariner in disguise. Only produced for two years. What’s not to like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0B31BDC9-9E51-45AF-BA63-954FD0EE0C67.jpeg (223.7 KB, 117 views)
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote