The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 February 2021, 04:42 AM   #1
KMalone
"TRF" Member

Icon8 Ware Jewelers ~ Alabama

Ware Jewelers is one of my regular stops in my hunt for a SS Rolex watch. I usually touch base with them about every 6-8 weeks or so via email/phone. I usually visit the store once every 4-6 months.

I was just informed that Rolex has notified Ware that beginning March 31, 2021 they will no longer be an AD for Rolex.

The SA stated "Rolex seems to want to become even more exclusive and only be available in big cities. They are pulling product from jewelers like us every month."

Just an FYI . . .
KMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 04:43 AM   #2
anthonys88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622
Pulling what product? Every AD I go to has empty cases!!!
anthonys88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 04:58 AM   #3
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Not surprising. Rolex is indeed moving upmarket and out of small- to medium-sized towns (with obvious exceptions like Greenwich, CT; Hamptons; Orange County; etc.).

I wonder if the next step will be trying to dictate what brands it can and cannot be sold beside.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 05:01 AM   #4
Stewart_88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys88 View Post
Pulling what product? Every AD I go to has empty cases!!!
Old 19 February 2021, 05:14 AM   #5
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMalone View Post
Ware Jewelers is one of my regular stops in my hunt for a SS Rolex watch. I usually touch base with them about every 6-8 weeks or so via email/phone. I usually visit the store once every 4-6 months.

I was just informed that Rolex has notified Ware that beginning March 31, 2021 they will no longer be an AD for Rolex.

The SA stated "Rolex seems to want to become even more exclusive and only be available in big cities. They are pulling product from jewelers like us every month."

Just an FYI . . .
As other posters have said, this happening all over.
You may not know the entire story from this AD. Rolex is now asking AD’s to create an exclusive boutique in their store. This remodeling can cost upwards of $100K and many AD’s don’t want to put out that kind of money upfront so Rolex pulls the franchise agreement. If this is a small operation, I feel sorry for them. I used to visit an AD in northern NJ who sold Rolex for 35 years, Rolex pulled the franchise, the store did not want or have the right space to create and exclusive area for Rolex.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 05:25 AM   #6
KMalone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
You may not know the entire story from this AD. Rolex is now asking AD’s to create an exclusive boutique in their store. This remodeling can cost upwards of $100K and many AD’s don’t want to put out that kind of money upfront so Rolex pulls the franchise agreement. If this is a small operation, I feel sorry for them. I used to visit an AD in northern NJ who sold Rolex for 35 years, Rolex pulled the franchise, the store did not want or have the right space to create and exclusive area for Rolex.
I wouldn't invest another $100k for Rolex either when the current store has very valuable and empty display cases.

Ware has 4 locations in Alabama. I don't think they are a 'Mom & Pop' outfit and I think they've been a Rolex AD for many years. The've been in business since 1946!
KMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 05:41 AM   #7
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMalone View Post
"Rolex seems to want to become even more exclusive and only be available in big cities. They are pulling product from jewelers like us every month."
Maybe, maybe not.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 05:49 AM   #8
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I seen a 3 location chain lose their status one by one.....
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 06:20 AM   #9
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Looking at their locations, they had a mix of newer and older storefronts...which is not that favorable. Also only 2hr drive to Atlanta (Mayors) and Birmingham....bigger cities, unfortunately makes their location superfluous.

Also...I don’t recall any Rolex AD that I have seen advertising “We buy gold” prominently on their website except for this one. Mayors, Wempe, WOS...etc don’t. It may sound really snotty, but it’s the little things that can create a negative perception.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 06:23 AM   #10
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Ouch. So by the end of Q1 we're going to see less Rolex ADs?
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 06:31 AM   #11
EconTigerOrange
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 MKI
Quote:
Is Rolex chipping in for the cost of the boutique because the AD that’s adding a boutique in my area is knocking down a wall and taking the space next door in order to fit the boutique. I imagine the cost is well above $100K. Even the SA said she’s not sure of the point since it’ll be empty cases.
EconTigerOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 06:36 AM   #12
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Looking at their locations, they had a mix of newer and older storefronts...which is not that favorable. Also only 2hr drive to Atlanta (Mayors) and Birmingham....bigger cities, unfortunately makes their location superfluous.

Also...I don’t recall any Rolex AD that I have seen advertising “We buy gold” prominently on their website except for this one. Mayors, Wempe, WOS...etc don’t. It may sound really snotty, but it’s the little things that can create a negative perception.
While the bolded makes sense, at the end of the day I’m guessing Rolex just thought Auburn/Opelika, AL are not “premier” enough cities to sustain a Rolex AD. Wouldn’t be surprised if Birmingham is ultimately the only city in Alabama that is able to do so.

Query whether ADs in cities like NYC/LA/SF/Chicago might see more inventory in the long run as more and more small-town dealers are removed from the network. I know, I know — more DateJusts for all of us.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 07:13 AM   #13
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Dumb question (forgive me): if the cases are empty, doesn't that imply inventory is being sold and thus profit being made?
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 07:22 AM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconTigerOrange View Post
Is Rolex chipping in for the cost of the boutique because the AD that’s adding a boutique in my area is knocking down a wall and taking the space next door in order to fit the boutique. I imagine the cost is well above $100K. Even the SA said she’s not sure of the point since it’ll be empty cases.
Rolex isn’t paying anything towards the remodel at all. The AD pays for everything.
Old 19 February 2021, 07:44 AM   #15
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Rolex seems to want to move away from "shop-in-shops" and have dedicated boutiques only. I foster my relationship at a dedicated boutique only now as a result of the fear of any other type of AD losing their status.
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 07:50 AM   #16
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Less AD's means less empty cases to visit.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 08:02 AM   #17
Paul7
Banned

All part of the sad move by Rolex to being expensive jewelry. Thank goodness for vintage pieces, no waiting list.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 08:10 AM   #18
Valkyrie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
Dumb question (forgive me): if the cases are empty, doesn't that imply inventory is being sold and thus profit being made?
No - it implies they don't have any Rolex watches to sell.

AD's I have spoken with tell me that they have received only about 50% of the number of Rolex watches they expected over the past year, presumably due to the pandemic. Hopefully this will change going forward.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 08:19 AM   #19
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
Rolex seems to want to move away from "shop-in-shops" and have dedicated boutiques only. I foster my relationship at a dedicated boutique only now as a result of the fear of any other type of AD losing their status.
Same here.
I am wondering what will happen to Ben Bridge since most of their stores are within the mall.
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 09:06 AM   #20
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
I am disappointed in Rolex. I have purchased numerous Rolexes from Ware. I just called and spoke to the manager of the store I deal with on a regular basis and she was sad.

The Ware location in Auburn is a beautiful store. They literally tore down the old showroom and rebuilt to showcase Rolex.

I have read other threads with people speculating why other ADs lost their status, and I can say that this AD is stand up and honest. I have purchased the following watches from them:
Discontinued Black Milgauss for 35% off
Discontinued Explorer 214270 MK1 for 30% off
BLNR on jubilee
White Daytona 500

They know that I love watches. Nowhere else would I have been able to purchase a ceramic Daytona with my spend history. They are honest and take care of their customers and because they know that I love watches I got access to watches most regular customers would never see.

I will continue to do business with them whenever I can and if you are ever near one of their locations stop in, because they might not carry Rolex any more, but whatever new line they carry, will be backed by an honest business.
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 09:22 AM   #21
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Hats off to Ware for being a great business. I played little league ball for a team they sponsored when I was 10 years old, back in 1978. I was number 10. Grew up in Auburn. Bought from them over the years and sad to hear the news.

There will be less ADs. It will get harder for folks like me to find new at an AD.

Rolex has a strategy and we will see it unfold and understand their priorities down the road.

Not gonna like it. But that’s out of our hands.
Old 19 February 2021, 09:24 AM   #22
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by McinRolex View Post
Same here.
I am wondering what will happen to Ben Bridge since most of their stores are within the mall.
Houston has three Ben Bridges all in malls. In years gone by they had Rolex in Willowbrook, Memorial City, and the most upscale Galleria. The Galleria lost the brand first when Deutsch ponied up for a Rolex only Boutique, my current AD. Memorial City quit selling Rolex a couple of years ago. The SA told me since their inventory was so low they decided to consolidate stock at the other store. I personally believe it was because the freestanding Thomas Markle AD was just across the street from the mall and had a separate room for them.
The Willowbrook location was quietly dropped from the Rolex site not long ago. The mall had lost much of its luster but it has another Thomas Markle location not too far away. There are now only five Rolex sellers left in our big city and only three owners. It’s getting tougher to be an AD every day.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 09:27 AM   #23
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
I purchased my first Rolex from them. Sad. Very sad.
Old 19 February 2021, 09:45 AM   #24
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Rolex isn’t paying anything towards the remodel at all. The AD pays for everything.
Not sure of that. In the lawsuit going on in Chicago, it states that if the AD sold a certain amount of watches, Rolex would contribute to the construction project.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 09:50 AM   #25
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
Less AD's means less empty cases to visit.
So all the former customers of a defunct AD will now just fade away?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 10:01 AM   #26
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovda View Post
So all the former customers of a defunct AD will now just fade away?
That's a free market for you.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 10:02 AM   #27
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Not sure of that. In the lawsuit going on in Chicago, it states that if the AD sold a certain amount of watches, Rolex would contribute to the construction project.
I agree. Heard from a two store AD here in New Jersey, he was relocating one of his stores to a nicer location, Rolex helped with the $250,000 renovation they wanted (insisted) just for the Rolex displays.
Old 19 February 2021, 10:11 AM   #28
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's interesting. Mayor's in a mall in Florida lost Rolex because they wouldn't pay for the remodeling, but the other Jeweler in the mall did without hesitation.

Maybe they are picking and choosing who they subsidize build outs for with performance deals.
Old 19 February 2021, 10:28 AM   #29
EconTigerOrange
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 MKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
That's a free market for you.
I don’t see this impacting supply or demand, just where to go for the supply.
EconTigerOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 04:45 AM   #30
mips33
"TRF" Member

Ware Jewelers is still showing up on the Rolex site
mips33 is offline   Reply With Quote