The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 February 2021, 01:04 AM   #91
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I would not be surprised if Rolex pulls the plug on Tara Fine in metro Atlanta, leaving only Mayors and Brown.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:05 AM   #92
jmed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
Rolex is going where the money is, Asia. That is China, India and Vietnam etc. It is not USA or Western Europe. No offense to these lovely regions but the reality is that the real income growth is concentrated in these new areas.

There’s no culling of ADs in those parts of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does Asia need Rolex dealers? I thought most Rolex were made in garages over there. That’s the whole reason Rolex is trying to get a handle on their inventory. Most of Asia probably wears fake Rolex watches.
jmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:21 AM   #93
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
Small steps on the march to eliminate the Gray Market;
I think this is doing the exact opposite.
The fewer dealers there are the less likely you are going to be to find one that is willing to sell you the high demand Rolex.

I think that's part of the reason why we are in the position that we are at present.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:27 AM   #94
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post
And when these are removed leaving only the large chains and high volume movers, the distribution of popular models will become much fairer because everyone will then be forced to bundle or build a purchase history.
Well, that's one way to define "fair".
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:28 AM   #95
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmed View Post
Why does Asia need Rolex dealers? I thought most Rolex were made in garages over there. That’s the whole reason Rolex is trying to get a handle on their inventory. Most of Asia probably wears fake Rolex watches.
You realize you’re now peddling in the same stereotypes that you were just getting upset about a page ago when people were making fun of Alabama, right?
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:30 AM   #96
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
I was told this by the sales associate from Ware that I have worked with back in January. I purchased my GMTs from her at Ware.
This is exactly what I am referring to.
I think the smaller dealerships are more appreciative of their local customers.

Closing them down is only going to exacerbate the problem with gray dealers.
Old 22 February 2021, 01:37 AM   #97
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Certainly not my experience. I travel very frequently to China, Japan and Malaysia. Most Asians would be ashamed to wear a fake and would not respect anyone who does. Unlike the US.

Not sure where your info comes from?
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:39 AM   #98
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
The Covid situation, now closing in on one year is, in my opinion, going to result in a dramatic transformation in how virtually all retail sales in the US and major western economies are conducted. Not to mention commercial real estate, the hospitality industry, business travel, the list will be long.
Yeah, I went out to the mall yesterday, historically February is the absolute worst month of the year for retail. (At least in my area.)
I have not seen that mall so full since Christmas in the year 2000.
Old 22 February 2021, 01:42 AM   #99
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
GDP Per Capita Rank:

7. United States
73. China
106. Vietnam
124. India

Yeah, makes sense.
GDP per capita is obviously not the right metric for this particular question - the average person is not the buyer Rolex is looking for in any of these places. Look at number of millionaires, and while the US is still #1, China (#2), Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and S. Korea are in the top 20 as well.
Old 22 February 2021, 01:46 AM   #100
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure if this is another misguided attempt at sarcasm? I'm planning to take a stroll from Da'an to Xinyi in Taipei tomorrow, which will take me past 7 or 8 Rolex ADs on a 1/2 mile walk.
Old 22 February 2021, 01:52 AM   #101
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
GDP per capita is obviously not the right metric for this particular question - the average person is not the buyer Rolex is looking for in any of these places. Look at number of millionaires, and while the US is still #1, China (#2), Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and S. Korea are in the top 20 as well.
You don’t need to be a millionaire to buy a Rolex. In other threads people are talking about using their stimulus checks to purchase them.

But if the US has more millionaires than China with less than 25% of China’s population, I don’t think that bolsters your argument the way you think it does!
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 02:12 AM   #102
rolexnyc718
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You realize you’re now peddling in the same stereotypes that you were just getting upset about a page ago when people were making fun of Alabama, right?
Exactly...
rolexnyc718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 02:12 AM   #103
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
GDP Per Capita Rank:

7. United States
73. China
106. Vietnam
124. India

Yeah, makes sense.
while I'm certain there is no policy to shift distribution from the US to these areas, I don't think GDP per capita is relevant in identifying markets for luxury goods that, by definition, are targeted to the more affluent. China has as many millionaires as the UK and France combined, India has as many as Switzerland. So while these countries are relatively poorer on average, they still contain sizeable markets for luxury goods.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 02:35 AM   #104
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckobros View Post
?
Manufacturer-imposed requirements on retailers have been ruled legal restraints on trade by both the FTC and Federal Courts. Included in these acceptable restrictions are "take-it-or-leave-it" edicts placed on retailers to upgrade storefronts, provide dedicated merchandising space, operating hours, minimum and/or maximum pricing, cleanliness standards, etc.

The FTC website provides the reasoning why allowing such things to occur. They say it is a benefit to consumers because it promotes inter-brand competition. Don't you feel luckier already?

These controls are placed by one commercial entity (the manufacturer) on another entity (the retailer). I would argue that this is not in any way "free trade," but rather the opposite, ie a restraint on free trade.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 02:58 AM   #105
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
Quote:
Grow up! This is a stand up family owned business that’s been a staple there for many many years. Bought my Deep Sea from them and possibly one of the best experiences I’ve had buying Rolex. .
Agreed.
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 03:02 AM   #106
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg443 View Post
I wonder how many watches they provided to the grey market? My ad told me and has always told me that Rolex is really cracking down on those types of dealers.
None. Have you not read some of the earlier posts.

Ware Jewelers are an honest AD that sell to real people. I know that they have blackballed at least one customer when they found out he was a buyer for the gray market.
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:15 PM   #107
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
Before Asia really took off in terms of producing great numbers of upper middle class people, Rolex was in a lot of small towns in the United States. My home town of 40,000 people had a long time AD until 8 or 9 years ago, and the college town I lived in in the mid-90's had an AD and only 17,000 people and was quite literally in the middle of no where. Rolex was an aspirational brand for the middle class for a long time. You worked hard, got to a decent place, and generally bought one Rolex and wore it for the rest of your life.
I live just outside a major city on the east coast and even here we have lost a lot of dealers, I figure when everything shakes out we will be down to one in the city and the same chain having the brand at a few of its suburban locations

Of the people I know, all of which who would be in the upper middle class to upper earnings category virtually none of them seem to care about saving and spending for a luxury watch..a few know of the brands and seem to recognize and admire them, but I don't get the sense they are in the market.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:50 PM   #108
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Lol. Right. And Rolex is absolutely targeting the Asian market over the US and Wester Europe. And for good reason.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 02:58 PM   #109
BigDogGoneHunting
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mips33 View Post
Ware Jewelers is still showing up on the Rolex site
OP said until 3/31/21
BigDogGoneHunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 06:14 PM   #110
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

I would seriously think twice before putting a deposit down on a Rolex with any smaller city and independent AD unless it’s 100% refundable or they carry another line you would use the money on. They are definitely on the chopping block, just a matter of time.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 06:33 PM   #111
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Posts like yours above are not needed on forum just a warning this time, second thoughts have a month off, next time you might not be so lucky be very careful what you post in future.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 09:34 PM   #112
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Racist posts such as this will not be tolerated here. Take some time off, if there’s a next time your time off will be permanent.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 03:24 PM   #113
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Rolex is going where the money is, in the USA. That is on the coasts, Texas and Chicago. It is not Alabama or Oklahoma. No offense to these lovely states but the reality is that the real money is concentrated in a few areas. I am frankly surprised they have as many AD's in the flyover states as they do. Won't be surprised to see this consolidation continue.
There has been a mass exodus of wealth from cities and states to the southeastern U.S. the likes we’ve never seen over the last year or two. We shall see how it all shakes out but following the details is quite intriguing.
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 04:05 PM   #114
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
With so many ADs getting yanked, it really makes you feel sorry for the guys who have been "building relationships" through jewelry purchases for a while based on the promise of a Daytona, only to have their AD loose their status.
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 06:03 PM   #115
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
With so many ADs getting yanked, it really makes you feel sorry for the guys who have been "building relationships" through jewelry purchases for a while based on the promise of a Daytona, only to have their AD loose their status.
Yup, it’s always a risk
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 06:40 PM   #116
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Also...I don’t recall any Rolex AD that I have seen advertising “We buy gold” prominently on their website except for this one. Mayors, Wempe, WOS...etc don’t. It may sound really snotty, but it’s the little things that can create a negative perception.

To me, this is the key.

“We buy gold” is more Walmart than Rolex. It simply is not in keeping with “luxury”. Rolex was right to revoke this dealer’s status.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 01:30 AM   #117
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
To me, this is the key.

“We buy gold” is more Walmart than Rolex. It simply is not in keeping with “luxury”. Rolex was right to revoke this dealer’s status.
Definitely. I was surprised when I saw that flashing on their site. Never seen that before from a Rolex AD and doubt ever will again.
Old 24 February 2021, 03:38 AM   #118
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Have you ever met Ronnie or stepped foot in their store?

Quote:
Definitely. I was surprised when I saw that flashing on their site. Never seen that before from a Rolex AD and doubt ever will again.
Believe it or not, in the communities they are in, the name Ware was and still is more synonymous with high quality than Rolex.
I love all the sideline chirpers throwing shade.
RolexUSA is restructuring their distribution, plain and simple.
Every month, we here in flyover America see it.
My small community used to have a Porsche dealer. And Mercedes. No more.
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 04:17 AM   #119
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadecamporolex View Post
Believe it or not, in the communities they are in, the name Ware was and still is more synonymous with high quality than Rolex.
I love all the sideline chirpers throwing shade.
RolexUSA is restructuring their distribution, plain and simple.
Every month, we here in flyover America see it.
My small community used to have a Porsche dealer. And Mercedes. No more.
I guess that will be put to the test when the line is pulled.

It’s not just “flyover” country. It’s anywhere in the US. Even Florida.

Two independent Rolex AD were dissolved in the last year. They all follow the same model. In smaller towns and in older buildings where display standards and prestige can’t be conveyed. I have an eye on at least 3 more AD in Florida that will be removed in short order, probably more after that as the shift to corporate alignment with chains strengthens.
Old 24 February 2021, 04:44 AM   #120
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
I guess that will be put to the test when the line is pulled.

It’s not just “flyover” country. It’s anywhere in the US. Even Florida.

Two independent Rolex AD were dissolved in the last year. They all follow the same model. In smaller towns and in older buildings where display standards and prestige can’t be conveyed. I have an eye on at least 3 more AD in Florida that will be removed in short order, probably more after that as the shift to corporate alignment with chains strengthens.
3, probably 4. And several consolidations.
Kinnakeet is online now   Reply With Quote