The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2021, 09:45 PM   #121
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The nicknames are pervasive throughout the Rolex watch buying public. There really is no turning around the traffic flow on NYC's 5th Ave. As far as why the price differential; imho the Pepsi is a better looking watch and that affects the demand. No other reason.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 09:50 PM   #122
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by baamvino View Post
History
This. But I would add, that with the BLNR, the colors are way more perfected and the watch more integrated as it has less colors. The BLNR is the only 6 digit Rolex in their entire catalog that I would be remotely interested in. The BLRO is still very pastel in nature, and due to that is as loud as a disco ball, despite the Mark 1,2 47 1/2, etc. bezels. Nothing wrong with that, if that’s your bag however.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 09:59 PM   #123
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
No one, absolutely no one that I know personally, prefers the BLRO over the BLNR.

IMHO.... It’s the WIS demand which keeps the BLRO prices high. And Insta hype. I don’t about production nos so I couldn’t add that to the mix.
You know, this is a pretty interesting comment. When I became serious about buying my first Rolex, not knowing anything about the hype on these watches, I wanted the BLRO. My colleague had it and i thought it looked amazing! Although, when it actually came time to buy the watch, I saw both the BLRO and BLNR in person and absolutely fell in love with the BLNR as it sang to me more than the BLRO. I ended up going with the BLNR.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 10:01 PM   #124
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
Honestly the only name I understand is Pepsi. Any other name is beyond my understanding.

Is Batman blue? Why root beer when it’s clearly named chocolate? Why Hulk and not Groot or Yoda or Grogu.

Not a fan of the names either, but I don’t really care what people call watches. More important things to life, chose your battles.
+1

Not sure why there are 5 pages of people debating over nicknames.
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 10:04 PM   #125
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me4u2night View Post
You know, this is a pretty interesting comment. When I became serious about buying my first Rolex, not knowing anything about the hype on these watches, I wanted the BLRO. My colleague had it and i thought it looked amazing! Although, when it actually came time to buy the watch, I saw both the BLRO and BLNR in person and absolutely fell in love with the BLNR as it sang to me more than the BLRO. I ended up going with the BLNR.
This is exactly what makes a market no?

I owned the BLNR for about a year and a half, and just never bonded with it. The color scheme looked much better in photos than in real life to me.

When I saw the BLRO at a Basel 2018 I was done, and knew I had to have it.

So there you go, two different takes on these references.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 10:32 PM   #126
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Yup, this crap got out of hand years ago and should have been squashed. It was a Pandora's box we all though would burn out. It was guised as a movement to make the brand look less stuffy and more fun so the newbies didnt have to learn the actual Rolex designations.

There was a lot of push back to the nicknames and most of the hardcore keepers of the crown left the forum because of it. There was more professional talent and inside watchmaking skill that left than this forum would ever see again.
You make a good point but the nicknames were probably one of several reason's for TRF's decline. I'm certain the constant 'what's it worth / is this gonna' be a good investment' posts were also responsible as weĺl. Owners posting about microscopic dust, pin-sized specs and not perfect time keeping might be other reasons the pros started fleeing. Whatever caused the exodus is irrelevant, but as Mysto says: those glorious days are gone forever.

As to the OP's question: supply, demand, hype, etc. Most likely not just a single factor. 

Didn't mean to Hijack - sorry.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 11:15 PM   #127
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think it’s simply a matter of preference. More seem to prefer the BLRO color scheme. I however do prefer the BLNR and will be picking one up in a couple of weeks from my AD.
It’s funny because my AD has asked me if I’m sure that I don’t want the BLRO a couple of times. I think it’s beautiful, just not for me...
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote