The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 February 2021, 06:10 AM   #1
txnarj
"TRF" Member

AD question for OP or DJ

New member here, been lurking around and reading up on stuff. Just trying to verify some information in light of the current situation regarding inventory and ADs.

My city has two AD's, a locally-owned and a Ben Bridge. I stopped by BB a few weeks ago, not understanding the new sales marketplace, saw they only had some high-end, non-SS models that I had no interest in. The SA basically told me I wouldn't be able to find any inventory at any AD in the country and that was that.

Fast forward to today, I just randomly called the local AD and inquired if they had any DJ's in 36 or 41 in stock. She informed they only had one TT model with a diamond bezel. I asked if I could be placed on a waiting list for a SS model. She invited me to come in, figure out what specifically I want, they would help me order it and it could likely be available in a couple of months, depending on the model. I confirmed with her that all I had to do was stop by, place my order, and be patient for a couple of months, and she laughed and agreed.

I'm just a bit surprised by the two different reactions I got, albeit one was in-person and the other was on the phone. There was no mention of having to buy other items to move up on the list or any of the other AD stories I've read about here. Is this just a bait-and-switch tactic you think or did I find myself a gem? Before this call, I was almost ready to pull a trigger on a gray market DJ, but glad I waited because I would prefer to pay retail if possible.
txnarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 08:25 AM   #2
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
DateJusts can generally be ordered even in stainless steel. I say “generally” because it seems like Rolex turns the ability to order them off sometimes — I think it tends to be later in the year. But if the AD said they can order you one, I don’t doubt that they are being honest. You can also generally order specific configurations, though I have also heard of them turning off the ability to order the specifics — particularly the blue stick/fluted/jubilee and configurations with the Wimbledon dial.

Stainless steel variants of the Oyster Perpetuals, Submariners, GMT Master-IIs, Daytonas, Sky-Dwellers, Explorers, Air Kings, Milgausses, Sea-Dwellers, etc. — these are all allocated to ADs and ADs can’t order them. These are the watches that depend on your “relationship” with the AD. These watches generally will never be put in the case, with the *possible* exception of maybe an Air King or Milgauss if you are lucky.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 08:36 AM   #3
drrd
"TRF" Member

Usually Rolex ADs want to speak to you in person. You can pick up on the reasons for this by reading some of the threads here but flipping is probably the main issue.

Your experience isn't unusual. If the locally owned AD invited you in for a chat then go in for a chat. If your priorities match theirs they'll get you the watch you're looking for and it shouldnt take too long.

Branches of big chains can be problematic. Again this has been discussed a lot already here but common issues are that the store manager doesn't actually have control of stock or of allocation of pieces (this is a head office job) and there may be 'policies' such as not putting you on a waitlist without some prior spending and not prioritising you without some threshold of spending being met and exceeded. The kind of BS you don't need. OTOH you might get lucky, put your name down for something and just get allocated it - it can happen.

So yeah I think your experience is just chain vs independent and therefore pretty normal.

If you're not asking for something in very high demand then I'd say the AD is much more preferable to grey.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Some details are missing here. OP wants a DJ in 36 or 41. So not sure which size. There are only a few hundred configurations of these date just, which configuration do you want? Since many clients seem to want blue index dial, then when you go in to order one the AD may say we can take a deposit but don't know when it will arrive. They may have the watch already but you are a new buyer so they will show you other references to see if you are going to spend. I think it depends on the configuration of the watch you are looking for. Please go in and share the result.
Old 23 February 2021, 11:12 AM   #5
vh2k
"TRF" Member

You need to be vetted, qualified, and background checked. Standard operating procedure.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 12:09 PM   #6
txnarj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid1988 View Post
Stainless steel variants of the Oyster Perpetuals, Submariners, GMT Master-IIs, Daytonas, Sky-Dwellers, Explorers, Air Kings, Milgausses, Sea-Dwellers, etc. — these are all allocated to ADs and ADs can’t order them. These are the watches that depend on your “relationship” with the AD. These watches generally will never be put in the case, with the *possible* exception of maybe an Air King or Milgauss if you are lucky.
So a stainless steel Oyster Perpetual 41 or 36 in a silver dial is also likely out of reach as far as something they'd have on hand or could order for a non-special customer? I'm planning to visit in the next couple of days to see what they say, and I'll be sure to report back. Thanks!
Old 23 February 2021, 12:33 PM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I don’t live in your town but a bit over a year ago I wandered into the BB at the Domain about a half hour before close. The manager waited on me, ironically I was there asking for a friend who was wanting a DJ41. He didn’t have any in stock but let me handle and try on his personal SS Wimbledon. I was wearing my BLRO and he said he was getting them regularly but with lots of customers waiting. I also tried on a couple Panerai and a Grand Seiko.
Overall he was very nice and said to tell my friend he could get him a SS DJ without a super long wait.
Epilogue: my friend ended up buying a lightly used one from a private seller.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 12:52 PM   #8
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
The different responses from the ADs, one of which is a national chain, may be caused by different corporate policies, which may vary due to the business model. A local AD only has to obtain stock for its location. Ben Bridge has scores of locations to supply. i was told by a Ben Bridge sales associate they could still special order certain models, but the customer must pay in advance. And, we are not talking about the SS sports models, but things like the DJ. Even those are becoming harder to obtain, including two tone.

The OP is dealing with ADs with very different business models, which probably accounts for the variance in response.

At either establishment, there's no substitute for developing a good rapport with a sales associate. Purchase history helps, of curse, but just spending time chatting and getting to know each other is important.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 01:05 PM   #9
RotorSelfWinding
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnarj View Post
New member here, been lurking around and reading up on stuff. Just trying to verify some information in light of the current situation regarding inventory and ADs.

My city has two AD's, a locally-owned and a Ben Bridge. I stopped by BB a few weeks ago, not understanding the new sales marketplace, saw they only had some high-end, non-SS models that I had no interest in. The SA basically told me I wouldn't be able to find any inventory at any AD in the country and that was that.

Fast forward to today, I just randomly called the local AD and inquired if they had any DJ's in 36 or 41 in stock. She informed they only had one TT model with a diamond bezel. I asked if I could be placed on a waiting list for a SS model. She invited me to come in, figure out what specifically I want, they would help me order it and it could likely be available in a couple of months, depending on the model. I confirmed with her that all I had to do was stop by, place my order, and be patient for a couple of months, and she laughed and agreed.

I'm just a bit surprised by the two different reactions I got, albeit one was in-person and the other was on the phone. There was no mention of having to buy other items to move up on the list or any of the other AD stories I've read about here. Is this just a bait-and-switch tactic you think or did I find myself a gem? Before this call, I was almost ready to pull a trigger on a gray market DJ, but glad I waited because I would prefer to pay retail if possible.
So, If I'm reading this right, you couldn't buy a DJ from BB but you could order on with Korman?

That sucks because Korman is usually pretty horrible. I mean, good for you but I basically swore them off.
RotorSelfWinding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2021, 01:43 PM   #10
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
My AD has offered to order me a SS DJ, if I were you I’d ask if yours could too OP
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 04:32 AM   #11
txnarj
"TRF" Member

Just an update. I was able to stop by the local AD earlier today. Had a pretty nice conversation with the SA. Because I have some flexibility regarding bezel and dial colors, she seemed relatively confident she could inquire into a SS DJ 36 for me in jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel with a silver dial. DJ41 and OP 41 were all on allocation basis. I think I do prefer the slightly large case size in DJ 41 though, but I'll have to wait and see what the SA says. Thanks to everyone who chimed in!
Old 4 March 2021, 03:58 AM   #12
txnarj
"TRF" Member

Another update here. After speaking to the SA, she promised to contact me in two days and said the lead time for the SS DJ 36 in non-fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet was about 4-5 weeks, and for fluted white gold bezel and jubilee it was about 3-4 mos. I went ahead and placed the order for the fluted/jubilee at the end of last week. No deposit required or anything. Today, I received a msg from SA stating they just got in a DJ 41 white dial with fluted bezel but the oyster bracelet. It was a tough decision, but I know the jubilee bracelet was important to me, so I turned it down. Pretty cool to see that they were keeping me in mind—I'm by no means a whale nor someone who would be an important client to them, but good to know I'm being considered for options.