The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2021, 01:34 PM   #31
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Great story. I would have the watch repaired at RSC and keep the dial if possible. The story, just the way you say, definitely has a ring of truth to it. A “pretty” Rolex Submariner is still a very durable dive watch to someone who is in an extreme job.
Old 2 March 2021, 01:35 PM   #32
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Call Don Shipley to authenticate seller.
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 01:39 PM   #33
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
One of our good friends is a Rolex-loving police officer who himself owned many Rolexes including a “Bluesey” and also got the original LV Submariner when it came out (and promptly put it in the safe). He would not wear a Rolex to work because it’s a dirty job and you could damage the watch.

Why would a combat soldier want to wear something shiny with gold in it? It’s one thing for Vietnam era soldiers to wear an original, all SS Submariner, which was considered a tool watch sold at the PX then, but yet another to wear a modern, expensive Sub. I’d be worried the crystal would break in the jungle or the desert and destroy the watch. My husband stopped wearing his black TT Sub and switched to a 16710 in large part because the Sub’s gold center link scratched too easily, and he felt more comfortable with a brushed SS Oyster bracelet for daily wearing. The TT Sub is his “special occasion” watch.

One of our neighbors was a Navy Seal. It’s not a secret. But, he didn’t kill OBL, either.

Anyway, to answer the specific question, I would switch the dial. It doesn’t look good, and detracts from the beauty of the watch. If the damage was from your combat duty, or from combat of a relative (uncle, grandfather, etc.) that would be different.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 01:39 PM   #34
FLAMAN
"TRF" Member

Military combat would not have shiny objects giving away position. The moment you pull that watch out to check the time would compromise your passion. sorry
FLAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 01:49 PM   #35
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMWatchFan View Post
Question:

Say I forget the story, send it to Rolex, it’s authentic but Rolex wants to overhaul, replace the dial, replace the hands, and replace the bezel insert. What would that cost approximately? $800 overhaul + $500 dial + $150 hands + $150 bezel insert? Am I off +/- by a lot?
It's a reasonable estimate. Also buys you peace of mind and a brand new looking bluesy that you'll enjoy for many years.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 02:02 PM   #36
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I'd be very suspect. I had been scammed by someone posing as a Navy Seal selling a fake submariner in the past. I ended up coming out ahead. I seriously doubt any professional operator would wear that watch in the field. Forget about the potential damage to the watch. It is very flashy and stands out. That alone can cost someone their life in the field.
Old 2 March 2021, 02:15 PM   #37
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.thewatchbuyersgroup.com/...battle-result/

Well some Army gent wore a bluesy overseas.

And

https://www.watchprosite.com/horolog...9011.10106446/
Old 2 March 2021, 02:16 PM   #38
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclowe View Post
As a former Army infantry officer who trained with SEALs and Special Forces operators I can say with certainty that the story isn’t true.

Like most professional soldiers, in the field I wore a cheap, reliable, black digital watch (Casio G-Shock) with a black strap because it was affordable, I wouldn’t mind if it was damaged, and most important: it wouldn’t give away my position to an enemy.

If the seller actually did serve as an operator then it’s most likely this watch was for garrison use only.

My two cents...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely agree. I was a Navy Fighter Pilot in Desert Storm and admit to having no experience in “boots on the ground” But I HAVE been in combat. I wore a plastic Casio. Everyone I knew that went in to combat also NEVER wore a Rolex or any kind of fine timepiece. I can not see how a SEAL, doing COVERT Ops behind enemy lines would be wearing a shiny Gold and Blue SS Rolex. I just don’t believe it.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 02:31 PM   #39
just1time
"TRF" Member

I call Complete BS on the combat story. Makes no sense. But what does it matter. Watch is paid for. What he sold you on to buy the watch is no longer relevant.
Enjoy your watch
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 02:41 PM   #40
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

FIRST..... I’m ex Navy and certainly wasn’t a SEAL but I can say with 100% certainty that one would never wear a TT gold watch EVER in any training or combat. They all wore G shock type dive watches. As far as a challenge coin goes...... anyone can have one made as there is no check of military records (DD214s). Blacking out the name to me would be VERY sketchy, perhaps stolen. I’m always in shock that people buy high end goods on eBay! Good luck as I feel you will need it.
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 05:45 PM   #41
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

There are a lot of people claiming to be operators out there, but for what it’s worth this guy is the real deal - devgru operator. And here is what he wore;
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A725FB89-4A88-451C-9DE6-FCC99C1158D7.jpeg (87.6 KB, 448 views)
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 08:03 PM   #42
rallyx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Holly's Lady DJ
What is the color of the boathouse at Hereford?
Ronin.jpg
Old 2 March 2021, 08:18 PM   #43
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
https://www.amazon.com/Challenge-Spe...91823681&psc=1
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 08:25 PM   #44
maxx0ne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman1 View Post
There are a lot of people claiming to be operators out there, but for what it’s worth this guy is the real deal - devgru operator. And here is what he wore;
The OP story seems odd to me but I would say this it is not uncommon for tier 1 operators to wear a Rolex on deployment, many do to pass on the watch to their sons. Usually it’s a SS piece.
maxx0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 08:33 PM   #45
winst
"TRF" Member

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyx View Post
Attachment 1205872
What film is that - I’m trying to remember?
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 09:31 PM   #46
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
Hmm... I work for the Navy and have helped teach a lot of current and future SEALs and have good friends who are SEALs. For what it's worth, if you share this person's name with me, the odds are better than not that I'd at least be able to confirm for you that he is/was indeed a SEAL, but it sounds like he's withheld that information from you. That part gives me pause: SEALs do secret things, and their membership in certain groups and activities might be kept secret, but they also wear uniforms with huge trident insignias on them---it's not like someone who's a SEAL has to keep that fact a secret, like someone might who's in the clandestine service of the CIA, say. But if this guy really is/was a SEAL who was interested in keeping his identity on the down-low, I'd imagine he'd be more likely to tell you his name and less likely to tell you he's a SEAL. It just doesn't quite make sense to me.

One of my good buddies here is a soon-to-retire SEAL who served on both the enlisted and officer side, on several teams and in several regional commands. His daily watch is a two-tone Rolex---though it's a Datejust, not a Sub. We did have a conversation about Rolex once, and he did specifically mention that the Sub is the classic SEAL watch---I bet a lot of SEALs (especially former ones with post-Navy careers and expendable income) own them. If they came through the Academy, the Bluesy in particular might be a popular choice, given its color-scheme and how it matches with the school colors. So the idea of a SEAL owning a Bluesy doesn't bother me, but the above circumstances do, as does the idea that it was combat-worn. (My friend's Rolex is his office watch--the one he wears when he's in civvies or khakis, not one he'd wear on deployment.)

Obviously no one is going to be able to confirm the veracity of this story for you without additional info---and if it's true, that's certainly cool. (So a small piece of shrapnel nicked the super-hard sapphire and then sent a spray of bits onto the dial?---is that it?) But without better documentation/proof... I don't see how this adds value to the watch. The opposite may in fact be true.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 09:37 PM   #47
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winst View Post
R

What film is that - I’m trying to remember?
Ronin - and I don't know what colour the boat house is at hereford.
Old 2 March 2021, 09:51 PM   #48
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Hmmmmm.... Was his name Brian Williams?

Williams has said on television multiple times that he flew into Baghdad with the Navy's SEAL Team Six, which was responsible for carrying out the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, about three days after the US invaded Iraq, according to The Huffington Post. He has also said he received a SEAL's knife and a piece of the helicopter from the bin Laden raid as gifts.
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 09:52 PM   #49
Stratos
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMWatchFan View Post
I did not pay a premium for it but I wasn’t expecting the imperfections in the dial.
You describe a watch that has been through hell, yet you did not expect any imperfections.

It does not make any sense.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 09:59 PM   #50
MikeMWatchFan
"TRF" Member

Update!

Upon close examination under light at a specific angle I can read the pen indentations of his name and address on the warranty paper even with the black marker flat across it. The name and address match up after a Google search but the name is super common first/last so will be hard to find the actual him on Google.

I will contact Don Shipley and the TFR member above to help verify if his name is in the SEAL database. The seller told me what BUDS class he was in so should be relatively easy to someone who has access to records.
MikeMWatchFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:02 PM   #51
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftd View Post
Call Don Shipley to authenticate seller.

This is the exact first thought that crossed my mind.

Ask for his BUD/S class number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:07 PM   #52
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar10213245 View Post
a Navy Seal wearing his bluesy during combat missions?

Hmmmmm....
Have to agree IMHO very highly doubtful.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:13 PM   #53
Peter B.
"TRF" Member

I think this is a case for Don Shipley....
Peter B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:13 PM   #54
Brich436
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124270
I will chime in and say my Company First Sergeant wore a coke GMT Master 2 in the field and in combat. I was in the Marines from 1997 to 2003.

I know the 16610 was very popular with SEALs...... but I do not buy this story. Namely because the gold is too reflective and could give away your position. It’s possible this is all true but I don’t think it’s probable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
124270 "R#" Explorer 1
79030B Black Bay 58
Brich436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 10:18 PM   #55
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Looks like you’ve got yourself a watch there fella, hope it all works out.
Old 2 March 2021, 10:19 PM   #56
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I don't buy the story at all but the watch looks legit to my eyes. Send it to RSC to replace the dial and wear & enjoy it.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 11:13 PM   #57
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Ronin - and I don't know what colour the boat house is at hereford.
That was it - thanks for the response, it was doing my head in trying to remember it’s name!
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2021, 11:18 PM   #58
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyx View Post
Attachment 1205872
Unfortunately nobody told Deniro how to correctly pronounce Hereford, which kind of killed that scene for me.
Old 3 March 2021, 12:45 AM   #59
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Any good fraud who did his research can provide a legit BUDS class number. Years back when there was a doc series that followed a class through the whole class, that class was 233 0r 234. Ive become a professional at busting phones SEALS, also 99.9% of these guys will mention nothing about what they did or even if they were a SEAL. I’d bring that watch to an AD asap and see what you really have there....
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 12:50 AM   #60
MikeMWatchFan
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Going to an AD today to have them look at it.
MikeMWatchFan is offline   Reply With Quote