The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 31 July 2022, 02:03 AM   #1
Voltesvdx
"TRF" Member

Attempted robbery is making me rethink this hobby

Went through an incident recently that frankly shook me and it’s making me think about selling my entire watch collection. Short story is someone tried to rob me of my Sub Lv and through some miracle and training, I was able to come out of the situation relatively unharmed with my watch still in tact.

All of my watches are fully insured so I’ve always had the attitude that I’m protected if I lose it. Plus I typically always pay attention to my surroundings.

however….what I never thought about was the fact that I was with a family member when this attempted robbery happened…and I feel like I put that person in danger for wearing this watch while we were out.

My mind is also racing thinking through all the different what if scenarios… if Me or the family member I was with was seriously injured or killed. I know statistically getting robbed of your watch is low…but actually having it happen to me has just…well…F’d with my head.

I love my watches. I’ve worked hard to obtain and enjoy them..but at the moment..I feel hesitant to wear them now. So I’m thinking what’s the point of having all this money tied up in expensive watches if I’m too dam worried to wear them.

Anyways…sorry for the long ramble. I guess I’m just looking for input on if I’m over reacting.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:05 AM   #2
JRedford
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure if you are overreacting or not…I wear my blingy watches around my house and my less blingy watches in public. This has worked for me.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
Old 31 July 2022, 02:05 AM   #3
JRedford
"TRF" Member

Dup.
Tired of lying in the sunshine, staying home to watch the rain You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today And then one day you find ten years have got behind you No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun
Old 31 July 2022, 02:10 AM   #4
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

I’m glad to hear you guys came out of it unharmed. I hope you find some peace of mind in all of this
Old 31 July 2022, 02:11 AM   #5
spikep
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear what happened. Mind sharing if you were in a safe part of town etc. I wear my watches daily but also understand the world is changing and maybe I need to as well.
16610 LN, 16610 LV, 126610 LV, 126622 Rhodium, 126710 BLRO jubilee, 126710 BLRO oyster, 126719 Meteorite, 116710 BLNR, 126711 CHNR, 126715 CHNR, 326934 BLACK, 326934 GREEN, 216570 BLACK, 116500LN WHITE, 116500LN BLACK, 126710 VTNR jubilee
Old 31 July 2022, 02:15 AM   #6
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Glad you’re ok.

I can imagine how you must feel, but if you’re asking for advice, people will always give it based on their own personal experiences. If they have never been robbed, or the target of a robbery, they won’t be able to advise you.

I suspect this experience will just make you even more observant.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:15 AM   #7
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Old 31 July 2022, 02:16 AM   #8
Voltesvdx
"TRF" Member

Yes was actually in an affluent area where it’s very common to see people with expensive watches. But there has also been an uptick of people coming into our city and committing crimes. (At least the ones that have been caught).
Old 31 July 2022, 02:20 AM   #9
Bigdaddy38
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116515B
Can you share where this occurred and what transpired ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ALS 1815 Flyback Chrono Rosegold, Daytona 116515B RG/Chocolate, SkyD Blue Dial Jubilee 326934, Sub 122610LV, Explorer II 216570 Polar, Blue Yacht Master 40 126622, Tudor BB Pro, BB925 Silver, Breitling W. Navi A24322 White, Speedy 3861, Tissot PRX 80
Old 31 July 2022, 02:22 AM   #10
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

You are not overreacting at all. Sounds to me like normal post traumatic anxiety. “What ifs” are a telltale sign. That should wane with time :) However, your feeling toward the hobby may remain changed, it is just “stuff” and not worth risking the lives of our loved ones or self. Overall, like you said, the chances of those occurrences are very low and you can probably feel safe knowing that ;)
Old 31 July 2022, 02:22 AM   #11
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

You are not overreacting at all. Sounds to me like normal post traumatic anxiety. “What ifs” are a telltale sign. That should wane with time :) However, your feeling toward the hobby may remain changed, it is just “stuff” and not worth risking the lives of our loved ones or self. Overall, like you said, the chances of those occurrences are very low and you can probably feel safe knowing that ;)
Old 31 July 2022, 02:22 AM   #12
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

I’m really sorry this happened. What a nightmare.

I hope I’m not being too personal, but, having gone through something similar with a friend, make sure you talk to someone about it if it starts affecting your life negatively. Take care.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:22 AM   #13
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

duplicate post
Old 31 July 2022, 02:26 AM   #14
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
If you could share the details of rhe encounter it would be appreciated. Might help other members avoid becoming a victim.

But aside from that I think it's a matter of having to think about where you are going and what to wear ahead of time. Wasn't as much an issue a few years ago but things have changed. I'm very selective on what watches I wear based on where I'm going and what I plan to do these days. Just a sing of the times unfortunately

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Old 31 July 2022, 02:33 AM   #15
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It’s natural to have a reaction soon afterward.

My input is to do as you say, put them away, but only for a few weeks or months. It’s too easy to make a rash choice that you may later regret.

Then make a calmer assessment.

Around here the same “safe areas” are also peppered with sketchy solo grabbers or wandering groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 31 July 2022, 02:34 AM   #16
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Sorry to hear and hope you can work your way through this...

Good luck with it.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:34 AM   #17
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Ach! The dreaded double post!
Old 31 July 2022, 02:34 AM   #18
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
It would be great if you could explain the incident including what you were wearing, T or long sleeve.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:44 AM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltesvdx View Post

I love my watches. I’ve worked hard to obtain and enjoy them..but at the moment..I feel hesitant to wear them now. So I’m thinking what’s the point of having all this money tied up in expensive watches if I’m too dam worried to wear them.
You are not over reacting, I have felt the same way for quite some time
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 31 July 2022, 02:51 AM   #20
mwc5k
"TRF" Member

Glad everyone is ok.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:53 AM   #21
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Went through an incident recently that frankly shook me and it’s making me think about selling my entire watch collection. Short story is someone tried to rob me of my Sub Lv and through some miracle and training, I was able to come out of the situation relatively unharmed with my watch still in tact.

All of my watches are fully insured so I’ve always had the attitude that I’m protected if I lose it. Plus I typically always pay attention to my surroundings.

however….what I never thought about was the fact that I was with a family member when this attempted robbery happened…and I feel like I put that person in danger for wearing this watch while we were out.

My mind is also racing thinking through all the different what if scenarios… if Me or the family member I was with was seriously injured or killed. I know statistically getting robbed of your watch is low…but actually having it happen to me has just…well…F’d with my head.

Anyways…sorry for the long ramble. I guess I’m just looking for input on if I’m over reacting.
So sorry to hear about this. That would make me re-think things too, but I'd probably just not wear certain watches in certain places.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:54 AM   #22
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:

Overreacting? No. Thinking in a responsible manner for your loved ones? Yes.

Glad your family is ok.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:57 AM   #23
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
You are not over reacting, I have felt the same way for quite some time
I'm with you guys.
Old 31 July 2022, 02:58 AM   #24
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
Sorry that happened to you. I am curious as to what the circumstances were of the attempted robbery? Did any of the four S's come in to play?

The 4 S's rule:
Avoid
Stupid places
Stupid people
Stupid times
Stupid things (doing)

I find that especially on here too many folks are concerned with big picture things like countries or cities and is it safe to wear your watch or be out and about in them.

The fact is I have found myself traveling in high crime 3rd world countries and have at times felt safer than I would walking in my own 1st world neighborhood. It is all situationally dependent on where exactly you are, how you carry about yourself and avoiding those 4 S's.

This mentality goes way beyond feeling safe wearing a high end watch. To me it is all about avoiding any sort of potentially deadly physical confrontation.

Stupid Places: Dark alley, unlit area, subway station or somewhere else without an easy exit, known high crime neighborhood. Always keep your head on a swivel and have an escape plan.

Stupid Times: for me personally thats being out and about past a reasonable hour for the given location. Might be 8pm in some areas, maybe 10-11 in others. But generally nothing good goes down after midnight.

Doing Stupid things: Are you yourself or are you around lots of inebriated people (drugs, alcohol?), any other illicit activity

Stupid People: basically anyone engaging in any sort of behavior or activity that you wouldn't care to be associated with.
Old 31 July 2022, 03:00 AM   #25
Fifteen
Banned

Sorry OP you have to deal with this. I am paranoid about this as well. Pisses me off that people have to worry about this daily just to enjoy our hobby. Any tips on how you were able to thwart off the thugs?
Old 31 July 2022, 03:03 AM   #26
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
No details and way to vague for any input -

So far the details are:
Sub LV
You have Insurance
Your Training
You Pay Attention

Sorry but ?????
Old 31 July 2022, 03:03 AM   #27
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Double post the some reason
Old 31 July 2022, 03:10 AM   #28
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

I’m glad you are all ok, I think we’re all intrigued to hear the details.
Old 31 July 2022, 03:10 AM   #29
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

I’m glad you are all ok, I think we’re all intrigued to hear the details.
Old 31 July 2022, 03:34 AM   #30
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
In today's world it is just not advisable to wear a hot model or PM Rolex out and about. The risk is low in most areas of the US, but it is there, and you are not a victim until you are. It really boils down to how much tolerance for risk one has. All the warnings of being aware of your surroundings and being alert, only give you an earlier heads-up that you have a big problem. Can happen anywhere, anytime.
Closed Thread