The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2018, 02:18 PM   #61
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Today 5711 and it’s not even close.

Want a Daytona? Spend 20-30k at your Rolex dealer.

Want a 5711? Spend 50-100k at your Patek dealer.
True dat. Or if you are lucky to bundle; you MAY get on the wait list (which isn't really a waitlist; its a list of preferred customers).
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 02:49 PM   #62
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely the 5711 is harder these days.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:04 PM   #63
kuota_kalibur
"TRF" Member

Based on my experience

Easiest to hardest

Black Daytona, White Daytona, 5711 White, 5711 Blue.

All from AD and SRP only. They reserve it to collectors with several Pateks complications. When you only want to get the popular models like Aqua or Naut or it will be just your first purchase, forget about it and just pay double in grey market esp. if you plan on getting one, two watches only from Patek in the next couple of years.

When you have grand complications, chronographs, world timers, annual calendar, regulators, perpetual calendars, which is what Patek is really about, they reward you with hard to get pieces like 5711, 5990, etc.

When I talked to Patek reps, they insist Patek is about complications and they're pushing this instead of sports watches. The dangers of being a Patek Nautilus Company like AP Royal Oak company.

My Infinity Stones. LOL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6914.jpg (202.0 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6981.jpg (183.0 KB, 333 views)
kuota_kalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:42 PM   #64
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuota_kalibur View Post
My Infinity Stones. LOL.
Job done.

For me it turned out to be much more difficult to get a black 116500 from my Rolex AD. In fact, I´m still waiting for it.

Getting a 5711 blue from my PP AD was much easier.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 03:59 PM   #65
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
My Infinity Stones. LOL.
Just brilliant.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 08:40 PM   #66
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
Job done.

For me it turned out to be much more difficult to get a black 116500 from my Rolex AD. In fact, I´m still waiting for it.

Opposite problem for me - got offerred DaytonaC 6 months after basel. Have been waiting 1.5 years so far for a 5711 or 5712 from same AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 09:55 PM   #67
Littleprince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
Job done.

Same with me. Already waiting 10 months for the 116500 white. Still no clue when will it arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram —> @little_prince_04
Littleprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:59 PM   #68
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Easiest to hardest

All from AD and SRP only. They reserve it to collectors with several Pateks complications. When you only want to get the popular models like Aqua or Naut or it will be just your first purchase, forget about it and just pay double in grey market esp. if you plan on getting one, two watches only from Patek in the next couple of years.

When you have grand complications, chronographs, world timers, annual calendar, regulators, perpetual calendars, which is what Patek is really about, they reward you with hard to get pieces like 5711, 5990, etc.

When I talked to Patek reps, they insist Patek is about complications and they're pushing this instead of sports watches. The dangers of being a Patek Nautilus Company like AP Royal Oak company.

My Infinity Stones. LOL.

Where Is the blro
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:04 AM   #69
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Where Is the blro

Lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:07 AM   #70
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

:
i agree but with not being a sports watch company. They don't make that many and are a dress watch company primarily and appear to want to remain so.

Nautilus's with complications are not easy to get either. AC, the new PC, Chronographs, travel time. So its about limiting sports watches IMO vs pushing complications.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:11 AM   #71
Sam Philip
Banned

Both 5711 and Daytona are hard to get and I think 5711A is hard to get than the Daytona. Some have flipped more than one Daytona but can't get a 5711
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:21 AM   #72
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
As a local repeat customer I've been offered a DaytonaC black dial. I turned it down as it wasn't something I wanted at the time and felt it should go to the next person in line who probably wanted it more than me.

An acquaintance of mine has gotten three from the same AD on the east coast.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:34 PM   #73
kuota_kalibur
"TRF" Member

Yes I agree with you Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i agree but with not being a sports watch company. They don't make that many and are a dress watch company primarily and appear to want to remain so.

Nautilus's with complications are not easy to get either. AC, the new PC, Chronographs, travel time. So its about limiting sports watches IMO vs pushing complications.

This year I asked my AD how many 5712r they got. Just 1.
5726a. Just 1 also.

Didnt ask about other references anymore. LOL.
kuota_kalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:20 PM   #74
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
$24,800
Wow. Just insane to think PP went up by more than $5k in 2 years on the 5711, and despite that, demand remains sky high and t's still impossible to get

I got my 116500 in about 3-4 months. I was told "5 years" for the 5711 or 5712, which is code for "it ain't happening"
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:22 PM   #75
thejerseyrock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, AP
Quote:
Easiest to hardest

My Infinity Stones. LOL.
I'll take an "easy" black daytona... please ???
thejerseyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 06:34 PM   #76
rolexbrand
Banned

5711 Blue Dial all day
rolexbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 07:25 PM   #77
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejerseyrock View Post
I'll take an "easy" black daytona... please ???
Same here.

My family owned and operated AD retired around three years ago and is now part of a smaller chain. So now all pieces arrive at their HQ and are now allocated to the stores which makes it difficult to get the sought after references in my location.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:23 AM   #78
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Hard to compare the two considering the difference in production numbers?

Just throwing numbers out,
If Patek makes 2000 5711 per year,
Rolex might produce 20K Daytona per year?
Old 16 August 2018, 02:36 AM   #79
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Hard to compare the two considering the difference in production numbers?

Just throwing numbers out,
If Patek makes 2000 5711 per year,
Rolex might produce 20K Daytona per year?
production for Rolex is obviously way higher but i think its balanced somewhat in the number of buyers after the Rolex being way higher too. I still think adjusting for production volume and demand the 5711 is still quite a bit harder to acquire.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 16 August 2018, 04:12 AM   #80
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
production for Rolex is obviously way higher but i think its balanced somewhat in the number of buyers after the Rolex being way higher too. I still think adjusting for production volume and demand the 5711 is still quite a bit harder to acquire.
All true and agreed by the simple nature of production the 5711 should perpetually remain harder to get

My thinking is there are far fewer disappointed 5711 wishful owners than Daytona seekers, adding up the collected frustration from the two teams the cry’s would be far louder from the Daytona camp:)

All said I’d rather have the new Pepsi
Old 16 August 2018, 04:26 AM   #81
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Easiest to hardest

My Infinity Stones. LOL.
This......^^^ In today market.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 05:54 PM   #82
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Harder to get 5711 or Daytona C?

Daytona has always been harder to get than the Nautilus 5711. It would take good timing like towards the possible end of the Daytona life cycle to be able to get one. The Patek 5711 was just a recent phenomenon, like some 3-4 years ago when it became a hard-to-get timepiece.

I have both timepieces. To be honest, I have to decline the 5711 twice before landing one in 2012. Why was that so? Because I was initially attracted to the complicated Patek timepieces. Looking back, glad that I took the 5711 plunge earlier and it definitely made me smile that the 5711 hype created a “bandwagon” of “me too I wanted that piece also” during the last 3-4 years.

There’s a comment that you can’t get a Nautilus and Aquanaut model unless you purchase several complicated timepieces. My answer to that is it is just a matter of timing and patience, all these hypes will soon pass. Once it dies down it will be available like it was 6-7 years ago. I also know of some collectors who initially look down at the 5711 and now wanted a piece of it. Factor that in, hence, it became a hard to get timepiece.

Daytona will always be special for me. It was my first complicated and expensive timepiece - the 116520. And it is a Rolex.

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 06:52 PM   #83
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post

I also know of some collectors who initially look down at the 5711 and now wanted a piece of it

Totally true, I am not a fan of Aquanaut or the Nautilus (and still not interested) but a lot of my friends who used to never want to wear Aquanaut or 5711 because they are deemed as entry level Patek (basically it means not expensive /exclusive enough for them) but now have one because they are hard to get.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 08:36 PM   #84
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Easiest to hardest

My Infinity Stones. LOL.
That's a lovely pair of pairs!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 08:42 PM   #85
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexavidfan View Post
There’s a comment that you can’t get a Nautilus and Aquanaut model unless you purchase several complicated timepieces. My answer to that is it is just a matter of timing and patience, all these hypes will soon pass. Once it dies down it will be available like it was 6-7 years ago. I also know of some collectors who initially look down at the 5711 and now wanted a piece of it. Factor that in, hence, it became a hard to get timepiece.

Daytona will always be special for me. It was my first complicated and expensive timepiece - the 116520. And it is a Rolex.

I think with the Rolex buyers there is more patience and a need to have to wait for the retail price, with the Patek guys they are not so used to waiting nor do they need to buy at retail only, so that explains why the Nautilus price keeps rising and rising even now, whereas the Daytona has somewhat plateaued.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 09:16 PM   #86
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Totally true, I am not a fan of Aquanaut or the Nautilus (and still not interested) but a lot of my friends who used to never want to wear Aquanaut or 5711 because they are deemed as entry level Patek (basically it means not expensive /exclusive enough for them) but now have one because they are hard to get.

And Rolex followers do not buy into hype? Everyone loves jubilee bracelets all of a sudden, wonder why that is.... and I still do not want a BLRO or a Daytona. Point is there will be those who buy into market hysteria and need to have a watch because of that and are those who love watches. Hard to differentiate that sometimes but who really cares? All that matters is what makes YOU happy.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 02:26 AM   #87
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
And Rolex followers do not buy into hype? Everyone loves jubilee bracelets all of a sudden, wonder why that is.... and I still do not want a BLRO or a Daytona. Point is there will be those who buy into market hysteria and need to have a watch because of that and are those who love watches. Hard to differentiate that sometimes but who really cares? All that matters is what makes YOU happy.

Did I say something about Rolex followers?
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 02:46 AM   #88
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Point was your point could be made about other brands/references, particularly Rolex, which is the other brand this thread is about.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 02:53 AM   #89
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post

i was never a jubilee fan.
A. Because it was on DJ's which is not really my thing
B. when i saw people convert jubilees without the oyster clasp onto sporty watches it looked off (super jubilee)

First time i tried a jubilee that was supposed to go on a GMT, i was sold. So to some extent i never gave the bracelet a chance because of the watch it usually goes on and because im not a fan of retrofits.
Old 17 August 2018, 02:56 AM   #90
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Blame it on social media for hard to get watch......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote