The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 July 2018, 08:55 AM   #31
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
it is the ultimate grail, masterpiece of horology, the "one", the only-should-be-application watch
As the owner of a 5711 white.. and seen my fair share of the blue .I completely agree with this statement on the blue...and the white.

I will own both someday.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 09:39 AM   #32
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
As the owner of a 5711 white.. and seen my fair share of the blue .I completely agree with this statement on the blue...and the white.

I will own both someday.
I assume he was joking

Anyways OP you aren’t the first or last to feel that way about the 5711. The truth is it’s kind of flimsy, particularly compared to a royal oak. That said, many fall in love with the aesthetic and the mere fact that it’s the go to “sport” Patek.

It’s also obscenely comfortable.
Old 18 July 2018, 09:46 AM   #33
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I assume he was joking

Anyways OP you aren’t the first or last to feel that way about the 5711. The truth is it’s kind of flimsy, particularly compared to a royal oak. That said, many fall in love with the aesthetic and the mere fact that it’s the go to “sport” Patek.

It’s also obscenely comfortable.
Doh, I'm being studying and starting at 1680 red submariner dials and pictures for hours so mind is dead =(
Old 18 July 2018, 09:47 AM   #34
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
The watch feels flimsy, the dial is underwhelming, the clasp sucks, and it is very basic... BUT I LOVE IT (If you sell it, I am sure you will miss it and have no shot of getting one back at retail. The watch is a classic look that will never go out of style so enjoy the fact that it is unlike anything else you own). Congrats And Welcome To The Club!

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 09:53 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Doh, I'm being studying and starting at 1680 red submariner dials and pictures for hours so mind is dead =(
Hey I could be wrong! I’ve been down that rabbit hole. You can study for days and weeks.

Funny you should mention thomas is selling a meters first red right now
Old 18 July 2018, 09:53 AM   #36
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
The watch feels flimsy, the dial is underwhelming, the clasp sucks, and it is very basic... BUT I LOVE IT (If you sell it, I am sure you will miss it and have no shot of getting one back at retail. The watch is a classic look that will never go out of style so enjoy the fact that it is unlike anything else you own). Congrats And Welcome To The Club!
As much as I love the 5711 and it is and continues to be my grail watch. I always think...if I sell the 5711a or r, I could buy.

1) Pretty much 3-4 of the hot Rolexes or an AP 15400 + 1-2 rolexes
- Batman
- Hulk
- SD 43
- SD 4000
- Ceramic Daytona

2) Some good ole vintage rolex models to stick in the safe and/or wear- I think you might get a better appreciation value with these:
- 16660 matte dial
- 1680 red and white submariner
- 1665 maybe even a double red sea dweller?!
- 5512 or 5513
- 168000 submariner
Old 18 July 2018, 09:58 AM   #37
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Everything he posted about the 5711 applies to me - the ultimate grail, masterpiece of horology, the "one".

The 3700 advertisement is 1 of the posters on my wall in my childhood days, together with the Lamborghini Miura, a Ferrari Dino and a 911.

I just love beautiful mechanical stuff. Extremely pleased and grateful to own the watch I have craved since young.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 11:40 AM   #38
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerodp716 View Post
Recently acquired a new 5711. Outside of a Calatrava many moons ago this is my first PP. I have to tell you that I am extremely disappointed in this watch. The rotor noise is a buzzkill...no pun intended. The bracelet and clasp just feel cheap to me. I had very high hopes and this was a grail for me. I own many Rolex models and several AP's and have never felt this way about any of those. Did I expect too much or am just missing the allure of the fabled 5711?? I wanted to love this watch and waited for a long time to get it. Maybe I got a lemon. Anyone else's experience mirror this?
Post a picture.
Old 18 July 2018, 11:58 AM   #39
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
Life must be tough, but at least you know what you like - or don't.
Too bad you didn't have a friend who owned one so you could try it on prior.

"extremely disappointed" is pretty strong. Are you sure it's not just slightly disappointed instead?

I love mine. It's the nicest watch I own ... and I own a few.

Quote:
Recently acquired a new 5711. Outside of a Calatrava many moons ago this is my first PP. I have to tell you that I am extremely disappointed in this watch. The rotor noise is a buzzkill...no pun intended. The bracelet and clasp just feel cheap to me. I had very high hopes and this was a grail for me. I own many Rolex models and several AP's and have never felt this way about any of those. Did I expect too much or am just missing the allure of the fabled 5711?? I wanted to love this watch and waited for a long time to get it. Maybe I got a lemon. Anyone else's experience mirror this?
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 12:22 PM   #40
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Years ago I passed on a 5711a at MSRP because of the same reason the OP feels disappointed.

But I didn’t get it then, now I’m into smaller and more refined watches and I really want one.
Old 18 July 2018, 01:24 PM   #41
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear. I have been on a two year waiting list already with no signs of getting it anytime soon. I have worn it and just love it to bits. Don’t have any intimate time with the watch to hear rotor sounds. However, do let me know if you would like to sell. Cash available. : )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 04:26 PM   #42
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Interesting to read the critiques of the 5711. Some people feel the bracelet is flimsy and the clasp is terrible. And the watch is dainty.

For me, the bracelet and clasp are one of the strengths. It is one of the few bracelet watches you can actually forget is on your wrist. Really essentially the opposite style of a Rolex. The bracelet is thin and the clasp is designed so that it is no (or hardly) thicker than the bracelet. That makes the watch the most comfortable bracelet watch I have worn. Further, for me, the elegence of the watch is highly related to the ratio of case diameter to thickness. It isn't easy to make a case like that so thin.

By contrast, the clasp on my SubC is really "solid" and functional and will take immeasurable beating. It, however, comes at the cost of being bulky heavy tank of a clasp that is giant on the wrist in terms of the length thickness and weight. Not saying this is bad---but just that the design goals and tradeoffs to achieve them are entirely different with a SubC vs a 5711. Some people love to he reminded they have a watch on their wrist and associate valie with heft.

Incidentally for this reason in my view the 5711r takes a bit away from the comfort of the 5711 because of the added weight. For others they prefer feeling something heavy on the wrist. Both 5711metals are inpecably finished but with the R you have to be extra careful about scratching. And one I fortunate downside of the Nautilus series is they don't carry scratches and scuffs as well as some other watches.

Just my two cents. At the end of the day really depends what you want out of a watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:41 PM   #43
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

It took me ten years of seriously looking at watches before I appreciated the 5711 and the A/P 15202. If you wear yours around other watch people their enthusiasm will probably rub off. But not loving a watch that you can flip and make 10K on is a problem I'd like to have.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 05:55 PM   #44
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Any time a watch is built up to be some mythical unobtainable masterpiece then it’s hard to exceed expectations since they are starting out unreasonably high

It’s a great watch no question but it’s an issue with what it is vs what it’s built up to be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 06:09 PM   #45
SW1
Banned

I am in the minority of being underwhelmed...it arrived....enthusiastically put it on and there was this blue black dial and i went "that it"? Was gone a few months later and now being outshone by the white
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 07:51 PM   #46
daveyw
"TRF" Member

I bought mine a couple of years ago and it took a while to appreciate its strengths. I went from a GO 70’s blue face to a blue 5711 and yes, it took a while to adjust. The GO was heavier, thicker and with a highly engineered clasp. Whereas Rolex May subtly tinker with clasp engineering or a movement The Nautilus is pretty much unchanged from the 1970’s. What you’re getting or buying into is design history with the Patek- not engineering. Once you’ve got that you will enjoy it’s slimness, lightness and hopefully even the jewellery like clasp.
Congrats on purchase
daveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 08:13 PM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW1 View Post
I am in the minority of being underwhelmed...it arrived....enthusiastically put it on and there was this blue black dial and i went "that it"? Was gone a few months later and now being outshone by the white
I see the price of the white is rising faster now, gap is only £5K, was closer to £8K earlier this year.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 08:33 PM   #48
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I see the price of the white is rising faster now, gap is only £5K, was closer to £8K earlier this year.
£11k difference on 2018 models, according to WF’s prices.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 12:35 AM   #49
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

I appreciate all the comments and it is good to learn that I am not alone with some of my observations and feelings towards this piece. I ended up selling the watch yesterday for a nice little profit so now the search for a new grail begins.
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 01:35 AM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
£11k difference on 2018 models, according to WF’s prices.
I'm sure it is, this was on Chronext who are more reasonable with their gouging.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 01:57 AM   #51
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
Swap it with a 5712A, problem solved.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 01:59 AM   #52
briboxer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: forever changing
Surprised at the disappointment? I have worn many different timepieces. My Bubba still having been my favorite. This Nautilus has a subtle presence on the wrist and classic understatement, while still being a good "investment" for you to pass on to your son:)

Rose Gold surely wouldn't be bad, if the steel feels too light:)
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 02:57 AM   #53
BobDyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briboxer View Post
Surprised at the disappointment? I have worn many different timepieces. My Bubba still having been my favorite. This Nautilus has a subtle presence on the wrist and classic understatement, while still being a good "investment" for you to pass on to your son:)

Rose Gold surely wouldn't be bad, if the steel feels too light:)

Your commitment to the color blue is impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BobDyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 03:12 AM   #54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I appreciate all the comments and it is good to learn that I am not alone with some of my observations and feelings towards this piece. I ended up selling the watch yesterday for a nice little profit so now the search for a new grail begins.
Wow...that was fast! Not sure if you will ever enjoy another "grail" watch from Patek since you may be blacklisted from the AD with that quick turnaround. I'm sure the Certificate of Authenticity has your name and AD info. Patek surely will have that information also and seeing that it was sold within one month's time, there may be repercussions on future purchases on Patek pieces...
1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 03:23 AM   #55
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Sorry to hear . I can sympathize...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:07 AM   #56
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow, that does sound fast. How long did you own it for/many wrist outings?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:13 AM   #57
daveyw
"TRF" Member

Not sure I’d sell a ‘grail’ watch that fast. Does sound like that you never ‘really’ wanted one anyway :/
daveyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 04:40 AM   #58
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Buddy has a 5712. I think underwhelming is the right word. Very thin. Light. Cool for some but I would forget its on my wrist. Beuatiful no doubt, but the lack of heft is a no go for me.
Old 19 July 2018, 05:32 AM   #59
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1688 View Post
Wow...that was fast! Not sure if you will ever enjoy another "grail" watch from Patek since you may be blacklisted from the AD with that quick turnaround. I'm sure the Certificate of Authenticity has your name and AD info. Patek surely will have that information also and seeing that it was sold within one month's time, there may be repercussions on future purchases on Patek pieces...
And that's perfectly fine with me should that happen. Once I purchase something with my money it belongs to me and I have the freedom to do with that what I wish. There are plenty of other brands that I enjoy and can spend money on.
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 07:25 AM   #60
pam66
"TRF" Member

5711r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer222 View Post
Get a 5711R, totally different experience!
yes!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4274.jpg (54.8 KB, 291 views)
pam66 is online now   Reply With Quote