The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 14 December 2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
durablity of solid gold watch cases

I know it s a kind of oxymoron but still , how fragiles are the solid gold watch cases? I know scratching easily but do they break,bends much easier comparing to SS or just in theory .If you do have experience please share with me it shouldn t be just Rolex you can name any brand.
thanks

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
I know it s a kind of oxymoron but still , how fragiles are the solid gold watch cases? I know scratching easily but do they break,bends much easier comparing to SS or just in theory .If you do have experience please share with me it shouldn t be just Rolex you can name any brand.
thanks
Gold is softer than stainless steel so it will scratch and scuff easier, but iirc gold is also the most non-reactive of all metals and doesn't react with oxygen which means it can't rust or tarnish. Of course that assumes pure gold and obviously not strictly applicable to gold alloy.

I've seen some bending on gold watches over the years with very thin lugs, but it's usually with ones that have attached lugs and not ones that are solid with the case.

In practical use, the only real difference is in propensity for acquiring surface scratches, but I don't think that in any way impacts durability.

Platinum is my choice for greatest metal density, purity, and possibly the least potential for lost metal during a proper polish.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2017, 10:16 PM   #3
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No, they don't bend or break. Anything that scratches your PM watch will also scratch your SS. No noticeable difference.
Nothing to worry using PM.
Old 14 December 2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
G
In practical use, the only real difference is in propensity for acquiring surface scratches, but I don't think that in any way impacts durability.

Platinum is my choice for greatest metal density, purity, and possibly the least potential for lost metal during a proper polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
No, they don't bend or break. Anything that scratches your PM watch will also scratch your SS. No noticeable difference.
Nothing to worry using PM.
indeed it s interesting that HV values all three Gold/SS/Pt how similar (125/150/130)

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 15 December 2017, 01:51 AM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Yeah, they've pulled up gold doubloons that were submerged in saltwater for a few hundred years and they still look pretty good.

I'd say gold is sufficiently durable.

Old 15 December 2017, 02:14 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

A PM case is hollowed out, a substantial drop could damage the case in a way which can potentially compromise water resistance, whereas this is less likely to happen with a stainless steel case.
Yes I've seen this happen myself, a bulge appeared on the surface underneath the fluted bezel (DD), this had to be ground off to make the bezel fit properly and make the watch pass the test. The case back also didn't screw into the case as smooth as it should.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:14 AM   #7
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
A PM case is hollowed out, a substantial drop could damage the case in a way which can potentially compromise water resistance, whereas this is less likely to happen with a stainless steel case.
Yes I've seen this happen myself, a bulge appeared on the surface underneath the fluted bezel (DD), this had to be ground off to make the bezel fit properly and make the watch pass the test. The case back also didn't screw into the case as smooth as it should.
are you positive on that ? i know some cheap brands offered hollowed cases used to be but i ve understood the modern times PM cases are just as it is full PM nothing hollowed inside.

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 15 December 2017, 05:17 AM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
are you positive on that ? i know some cheap brands offered hollowed cases used to be but i ve understood the modern times PM cases are just as it is full PM nothing hollowed inside.
It's not like it's fully hollowed, but all PM cases have less 'meat' on them than SS ones. That and the metal being softer explains my previous post.
Old 15 December 2017, 05:33 AM   #9
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's not like it's fully hollowed, but all PM cases have less 'meat' on them than SS ones. That and the metal being softer explains my previous post.
i thought the fine ones are casted in machine from 100% "meat" or forged from PM it seems i was wrong, however PP use cold forged gold according this article
https://link.springer.com/content/pd...bf03215478.pdf

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 15 December 2017, 05:48 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
i thought the fine ones are casted in machine from 100% "meat" or forged from PM it seems i was wrong.
I'll try to make a comparison picture soon which I'll post to this thread.

Then you can clearly see that even new PM cases are definitely different from their SS cousins.
Old 15 December 2017, 06:10 AM   #11
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'll try to make a comparison picture soon which I'll post to this thread.

Then you can clearly see that even new PM cases are definitely different from their SS cousins.
thanks , looking forward watching it

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 15 December 2017, 10:22 PM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

I didn't expect to make two pictures today, but here they are. A SS Daytona vs a Rose gold Daytona.

Both pictures show the inside of the case opposite of the crown&pushers. You can clearly see that the gold one is pretty hollowed.
Old 15 December 2017, 11:03 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
And this one quite a bit of gold is removed from the case ring.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 02:32 AM   #14
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't expect to make two pictures today, but here they are. A SS Daytona vs a Rose gold Daytona.

Both pictures show the inside of the case opposite of the crown&pushers. You can clearly see that the gold one is pretty hollowed.

Okay it s clear now the case walls are not as thick as on the SS one ,when you said hollow i thought u ve meant inside the material like a tube ,except saving costs i guess no other reasons beyond.

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 16 December 2017, 03:03 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Okay it s clear now the case walls are not as thick as on the SS one ,when you said hollow i thought u ve meant inside the material like a tube ,except saving costs i guess no other reasons beyond.
Yes, hollow might not be the best way to put it.
Old 16 December 2017, 05:17 AM   #16
Bigblu10
Banned

Do you think this is to save Rolex money i.e. less gold in the watch or to save weight, as PM gold watches are pretty hefty.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 05:24 AM   #17
poldino
"TRF" Member

In a nutshell: less volume + softer material + higher mass (hence stronger force upon impact) = much higher probability to deform a gold case compared to a SS one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poldino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 06:13 AM   #18
TG3N
"TRF" Member

That's very interesting/surprising - thanks for your pictorial efforts, Padi & Bas.

I also wonder why they do this i.e. offer less metal (by volume) than in the SS equivalent. Presumably, doing so is detrimental to the structural solidity (as per Bas' reference to 'bulging' of the case), but may make the watch less overly heavy.

I was always of the understanding that the actual base cost of a precious metal bore little relation to the end RRP of a precious metal piece (even allowing extra cost for machining difficulty, security measures, waste collection etc.) i.e. the price differential between a SS & Platinum Daytona will be much more than just the cost difference of the raw materials, Platinum over SS.

So, if Rolex are making excellent profit on a PM piece already, and the cost to offer a more solid PM case would be relatively negligible, to either Rolex or buyer, why do they 'hollow' out PM cases, if not for weighting purposes?
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 08:45 AM   #19
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG3N View Post
That's very interesting/surprising - thanks for your pictorial efforts, Padi & Bas.

I also wonder why they do this i.e. offer less metal (by volume) than in the SS equivalent. Presumably, doing so is detrimental to the structural solidity (as per Bas' reference to 'bulging' of the case), but may make the watch less overly heavy.

I was always of the understanding that the actual base cost of a precious metal bore little relation to the end RRP of a precious metal piece (even allowing extra cost for machining difficulty, security measures, waste collection etc.) i.e. the price differential between a SS & Platinum Daytona will be much more than just the cost difference of the raw materials, Platinum over SS.

So, if Rolex are making excellent profit on a PM piece already, and the cost to offer a more solid PM case would be relatively negligible, to either Rolex or buyer, why do they 'hollow' out PM cases, if not for weighting purposes?
Excellent profit plus several grams gold multiplied by number of watches turned out is even better than excellent
Old 16 December 2017, 09:13 AM   #20
Bigblu10
Banned

So to reiterate, don't drop your solid gold watch on a hard surface or you will cry all the way to the bank!
Old 16 December 2017, 09:15 AM   #21
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG3N View Post

No doubt that little bit of gold they save from each case adds up to a bunch of gold=$$
Old 16 December 2017, 10:00 AM   #22
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bas, would you know if the same is true for platinum as with gold?
Old 16 December 2017, 01:32 PM   #23
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
This is very interesting! Thanks for sharing and especially the photos.
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 01:39 PM   #24
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
In the electric guitar world, the process used to 'lighten' a heavy solid body instrument is referred to as *chambered*.

Perhaps this is a better description.

Mark

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2017, 03:57 PM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Bas, would you know if the same is true for platinum as with gold?
Probably.
One passed my hand yesterday but sadly my colleague didn't have to take it out of the case.
Old 16 December 2017, 06:39 PM   #26
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
So to reiterate, don't drop your solid gold watch on a hard surface or you will cry all the way to the bank!
No, that is exaggerating, the new PM sport watches have enough body. It's not exactly a tin can
Old 19 December 2017, 04:56 AM   #27
Passionata
"TRF" Member

I m also interested in the manufacturing of different PM cases ,afaik some are stamped ,some are cold forged and the others are casted .I think the highest density you got by cold forged or milled pieces.

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 19 December 2017, 05:01 PM   #28
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I m also interested in the manufacturing of different PM cases ,afaik some are stamped ,some are cold forged and the others are casted .I think the highest density you got by cold forged or milled pieces.
I find this interesting too. I'll try to get some insight.
Old 19 December 2017, 05:32 PM   #29
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I find this interesting too. I'll try to get some insight.

Obviously not comparable to the great great can i wear my Rolex series but still;-)

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 19 December 2017, 05:33 PM   #30
Passionata
"TRF" Member

durablity of solid gold watch cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmp View Post
In the electric guitar world, the process used to 'lighten' a heavy solid body instrument is referred to as *chambered*.

Perhaps this is a better description.

Mark

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

In tooling/mechanical engineering it s called cavity

---------------------

IG @passionata1