The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 December 2017, 06:00 PM   #1
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Afraid to wear my Daytona....

My every day watch is normally my 16610 2010 Sub with a 2016 GMT clasp (perfect combination) bought nos. I use this most days and will wear it anywhere but it is in pretty perfect condition still.

Now I have a DaytonaC, very lucky to get it from my fantastic AD in the U.K who love their watches too. I have worn it quite a bit and to be frank it does have some scratching on the bracelet etc which tends to show the marks quite easily.

Then Daytona is very pretty and I like it a lot and aesthetically it is superior to the Sub but to me it feels very delicate when I wear it.

I would love to put it on and used it most days but I am so scared of marking it that I default to the Sub. The Daytona I feel needs to be babied to keep it looking tip top while the Sub just takes everything and still looks superb.

This probably has loads to do with the PCL but the Daytona just feels like a dress watch and not what Rolex has been to me as rugged (via Subs and GMTs that I have owned).

I am a year in with the Daytona and it has stated just coming out for meals out etc and I just cannot get it back to being a daily wearer.

For sure I am being silly but I want it as my default watch and daily wearer but go to the Sub every time right now.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 06:18 PM   #2
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Just wear it. You'll get over it. Enjoy!
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 06:21 PM   #3
peterpl
Banned

Just wear it. Its only a watch.

Its like buying a Ferrari and never driving it. Whats the point?
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 06:22 PM   #4
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
It takes a while to get used to it. Just wear it.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 06:24 PM   #5
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
My every day watch is normally my 16610 2010 Sub with a 2016 GMT clasp (perfect combination) bought nos. I use this most days and will wear it anywhere but it is in pretty perfect condition still.

Now I have a DaytonaC, very lucky to get it from my fantastic AD in the U.K who love their watches too. I have worn it quite a bit and to be frank it does have some scratching on the bracelet etc which tends to show the marks quite easily.

Then Daytona is very pretty and I like it a lot and aesthetically it is superior to the Sub but to me it feels very delicate when I wear it.

I would love to put it on and used it most days but I am so scared of marking it that I default to the Sub. The Daytona I feel needs to be babied to keep it looking tip top while the Sub just takes everything and still looks superb.

This probably has loads to do with the PCL but the Daytona just feels like a dress watch and not what Rolex has been to me as rugged (via Subs and GMTs that I have owned).

I am a year in with the Daytona and it has stated just coming out for meals out etc and I just cannot get it back to being a daily wearer.

For sure I am being silly but I want it as my default watch and daily wearer but go to the Sub every time right now.
If it bothers you that much, have the PCL’s brushed and you have your in destructible tool watch.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 06:26 PM   #6
PascalSwiss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
If it bothers you that much, have the PCL’s brushed and you have your in destructible tool watch.
Not sure if this is possible, maybe you can switch bracelets with your Sub.
Or, put it on some other strap for the daily use and go back to PCL occasionally.
I had the same sentiment with my TT PCL and ended up putting a rubber b on.
PascalSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 07:18 PM   #7
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Not a Daytona but my sd43 got a bang the other day when a friend called me and i picked up the phone and scratched the watch on the car door glass i was closing . Im over it after a few days of staring at the scratch but not sure if ill ever pick up or call him again though.
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 07:22 PM   #8
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalSwiss View Post
Or, put it on some other strap for the daily use and go back to PCL occasionally.
Of course it’s possible, it’s one of the easiest mods anybody could do.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 07:23 PM   #9
gin@tonic
"TRF" Member

Wear and enjoy! These are so well made that unless seriously abused they will around longer than us! What’s the worst can happen........ a service after a few years will bring the watch back to a new condition.
gin@tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 07:27 PM   #10
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudestew View Post
Not a Daytona but my sd43 got a bang the other day when a friend called me and i picked up the phone and scratched the watch on the car door glass i was closing . Im over it after a few days of staring at the scratch but not sure if ill ever pick up or call him again though.
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 07:43 PM   #11
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

First, congrats on getting a fine timepiece. Have a Daytona and please believe me, they can take a beating! If you're that concerned about the bracelet, then there are options of course.

Options are.... Just wear and enjoy her as is, it is a solid timepiece. Brush the centers links if you want. Another option is choose a different strap, such as Everest or Rubber B. Maybe you prefer NATO or something made from leather. Getting different bands also allows for you to change the look/feel of the watch.

Whatever you choose, rest assured it is a solid timepiece, extremely durable, and meant to be worn daily. Enjoy your time :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 08:27 PM   #12
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Wear and enjoy.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 08:36 PM   #13
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

The case too looks very shiny. If PCLs were brushed, wouldn't the case need to be also?
How easy is that to get done and how much would either mod knock off its value?

I found my 16610 bracelet very flimsy and easily scratched whilst the SubC I tried seemed to have a far more robust bracelet, if a little less comfortable due to it's engineered feel.

I think maybe you're just babying it due to its precious-ness, newness, and need to nurture it. If you had no other Rolex you'd be wearing it daily for sure. This is the problem with having more than one. Ditch the rather common Sub (as I did) and wear the rarer, prettier, Daytona. Who cares what happens to it. A scratched up Rolex is a loved Rolex!

DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 08:37 PM   #14
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

One way to overcome your hesitation is to put it in a rotation and stick to it - unless you do some activities like car repair etc. When you rotate watches, you will enjoy them more as you will not get bored with them and they will collect scratches in a lesser rate.

You have a beautiful watch, it would be a shame not to wear it.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 08:43 PM   #15
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascalSwiss View Post
It's not only possible it is also easy to bring back to PCL at any time later as well.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 08:51 PM   #16
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
Enjoy life. Dead is forever. Wear the watch.
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 09:07 PM   #17
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
It's not only possible it is also easy to bring back to PCL at any time later as well.
...whilst losing a little metal on each occasion.
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 09:10 PM   #18
EmilA
"TRF" Member

IMO, it’s just a watch. I would wear it like I would wear any other watch. Same goes for a car or anything else.
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 09:16 PM   #19
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
IMO, it’s just a watch. I would wear it like I would wear any other watch. Same goes for a car or anything else.
True, but on the center links I think this is a trivial concern.

First, it's only really the deep scratches that require removal of significant metal, and second, it's on the case edges or contoured areas that it's most problematic. On a more flat surface the metal loss, minimal as it is, would be virtually imperceptible.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 09:41 PM   #20
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

I've never understood the "it's just a watch". People must have a lot of money to be able to dismiss something costing so much in such a cavalier manner.

A Ferrari is just a car, a diamond is just a rock, gold is just another metal, the Mona Lisa is just another painting...
Old 1 December 2017, 09:53 PM   #21
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
Wear the hell out of that thing! Enjoy it...

David cote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 09:56 PM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
How is the time keeping performance?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 09:59 PM   #23
Karle12
Banned

Watch: Rolex, Omega, etc
Just wear it, you would get over the feeling
Karle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 10:04 PM   #24
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
I’m personally not crazy about a brushed bracelet with the fully polished case. IMO it looks off. You’d have to brush the top of the lugs too which given what we know about you thus far is likely not an option (I wouldn’t do that either to my new Daytona).

That said, I think this warm up period takes time. For me I get through it in about 1-2 months. For others it will take longer. Just keep wearing it little by little and before you know it, it will reach daily wear status.

If it still continues to bug you, you could source an alternative bracelet/strap. I’m not a big fan of PCLs, so I’m always tinkering. Super jubilee looks awesome IMO. Everest makes some great straps or if you can get your hands on an Oysterflex, the look and feel is incredible!

Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 10:14 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
As above you have several options:

Wear and enjoy
Polish the centre links
Put it on a rubber b

Graet looking watch btw.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 10:16 PM   #26
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
I wear what I feel like that morning, Patek or IWC or one of my Daytonas..., like my pens.... I use what I own.... So should you :) enjoy your time piece
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 10:27 PM   #27
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWays View Post
I've never understood the "it's just a watch". People must have a lot of money to be able to dismiss something costing so much in such a cavalier manner.

A Ferrari is just a car, a diamond is just a rock, gold is just another metal, the Mona Lisa is just another painting...
I see your point, but I think if you can't afford to enjoy it, then you can't afford to buy it.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 10:55 PM   #28
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWays View Post

Exactly.

It is just a watch.

If an object brings this much anguish in your life, perhaps moving on would be a better idea.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2017, 10:56 PM   #29
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I see your point, but I think if you can't afford to enjoy it, then you can't afford to buy it.

I agree.

It isn't just a watch, though, or this would be the Timex forum. People don't plunk down 10K on something that just tells them the time. If they just wanted to know the time, they'd pull out their cell phone, so it ain't "just a watch".
Old 1 December 2017, 11:04 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Buy a Patek and you'll throw this around like it's a G-Shock.

But seriously wear the Sub for the harder yards and wear the D500 at other times, both should get similar wear time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote