The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 August 2016, 12:14 PM   #1
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251
Review of my week old SS YMII 116680......

I'm doing this review because I feel there are many out there who are really on the fence about this watch, and I was able to make my decision to buy this watch by reading as much info and viewing pics on our beloved TRF. So, here goes....

First off, when I first saw this watch I thought how ridiculous it was to plaster YACHT-MASTER II right on the bezel. That was it for a couple of years even though I liked te 44mm bc I'm a fairly big/stocky guy (5'11/230 lbs). A few months back, I saw a guy wearing the TT version and was like WOW!! He was wearing a suit and I loved the wrist presence and the size of it (not too big and not too small). I went and tried on the TT and SS and immediately crossed off the TT but knew the SS was probably my next piece. I loved how the watch has some "swagger" to it. The watch pops, esp for a SS!! The bright blue bezel surrounding the crisp white dial and red second hand, etc all just works!!! I really want my watches to be able to be worn in dress and casual situations, and I LOVE this watch with dress clothes!! Also, I love it with short sleeves as well bc
Of its size. The others in my collection is the Daytona C white, BLNR, and a DJII smooth blue Romans. The BLNR is the only one I don't like with dress clothes but that's ok. The YMII is my favorite amongst these in a short sleeve situation esp in summer type clothing. It's the perfect Hamptons/vacation watch but it's way more than that. Anyhow, enough rambling- trust me it's a GREAT and very unique piece that will love esp if you are a "bigger guy" or if you like slightly larger watches. BUT, it's def not too big. Here are some of my favorite pics of this guy posted below. I hope this might help some of you.....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251









Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2016, 06:10 PM   #3
Psmith
"TRF" Member
 
Psmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Real Name: Clive
Location: Pomgolia
Watch: the usual suspects
Posts: 35,006
Nice review and pics
__________________
Psmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2016, 10:42 PM   #4
1William
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North Carolina
Watch: Rolex/Others
Posts: 17,145
Nice. Great collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2016, 11:32 PM   #5
charger
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Posts: 235
Great review
charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2016, 01:11 AM   #6
watchwatcher
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
watchwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Real Name: Larry
Location: Kentucky
Watch: Yes
Posts: 28,647
Nicely done! Thanks for the review.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2016, 03:24 AM   #7
1st amg
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
1st amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Real Name: nicholas
Location: ottawa canada
Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Posts: 5,101
It is an imposing piece. Great quick review. Still love that one.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2016, 10:55 AM   #8
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member
 
ELITEVIDEOGAMES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Real Name: Tom
Location: Long Island NY
Watch: me sell games
Posts: 1,876
I love mine , I constantly want to bump it ahead of others in my rotation.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
I love mine , I constantly want to bump it ahead of others in my rotation.
Yep, I know how you feel. BLNR is starting to rust and even the Daytona is collecting a little dust.......
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2016, 06:56 PM   #10
ming the merciless
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: England
Posts: 458
Thanks for the review but you'll never convince me to buy one of those. Too busy, too much going on, just too loud for this pretty reserved Englishman. The original Yachmaster - yes, I'd have one tomorrow if I could.
ming the merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2016, 09:08 PM   #11
aw662
"TRF" Member
 
aw662's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Southampton
Watch: Date Just ii
Posts: 168
Thinking about getting this watch next. I'm the same with regards to wanting to be able to wear it both smart and casual. I'm more fond of the two tone. Just wondered what it was exactly that made you choose the SS. Despite preferring the two tone. Every time I try them
on I get torn between which one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aw662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 12:13 AM   #12
briboxer
2018 Pledge Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Real Name: Brian
Location: SoCal
Watch: forever changing
Posts: 8,237
Definitely agree that the YMII SS has the right wrist presence. Looks great on you. From your ensemble, it looks like you are a blue guy. One of the only BNIB watches I ever cracked open to wear myself. I get a chance to wear quite a few pre-owned pieces from trades.
I think the BLNR is nice, but I was in Tokyo and Singapore last summer, and saw that it was the "IT watch" for women, so that one isn't a consideration anymore.
The Daytona is the one watch that I find more people are more excited about the pursuit than the ownership.
The YMII has my vote!
briboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 12:37 AM   #13
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw662 View Post
Thinking about getting this watch next. I'm the same with regards to wanting to be able to wear it both smart and casual. I'm more fond of the two tone. Just wondered what it was exactly that made you choose the SS. Despite preferring the two tone. Every time I try them
on I get torn between which one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was easy for me for some reason. Im not against TTs at all and I liked that fact that this was everose gold rather than yellow gold. BUT something about it just didn't do it for me. I wasn't wild about the bezel either. As fas as the SS- I just LOVED the crisp look to the watch and love the bezel color with white gold markers. The SS just works for me. When I tried it on with dress clothes, it was a done deal!!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 12:41 AM   #14
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by briboxer View Post
Definitely agree that the YMII SS has the right wrist presence. Looks great on you. From your ensemble, it looks like you are a blue guy. One of the only BNIB watches I ever cracked open to wear myself. I get a chance to wear quite a few pre-owned pieces from trades.
I think the BLNR is nice, but I was in Tokyo and Singapore last summer, and saw that it was the "IT watch" for women, so that one isn't a consideration anymore.
The Daytona is the one watch that I find more people are more excited about the pursuit than the ownership.
The YMII has my vote!
That's interesting to know about the BLNR. After getting the YMII, my interest in the BLNR has dropped a ton. Ive had the BLNR for two years and the love affair is fading. I also got the Daytona C this year, so that hasn't helped it either. Right mow, the YMII is getting all the action!!!
And YES- Im definitely a BLUE guy!!!!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2016, 12:40 PM   #15
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member
 
ELITEVIDEOGAMES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Real Name: Tom
Location: Long Island NY
Watch: me sell games
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
Yep, I know how you feel. BLNR is starting to rust and even the Daytona is collecting a little dust.......
I could always take that Daytona off your hands If your already bored of it
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 03:59 AM   #16
anothernewphone
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Real Name: Bill
Location: Plymouth Meeting
Watch: 116520
Posts: 3,205
Great info, and nice pics! It looks great on your wrist. It's interesting to hear that you don't like the BLNR in business attire, as I think it would still work well - but the YMII looks surprisingly welcome on your wrist in the long sleeve shirt!
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 09:58 PM   #17
Jk_wattanaporn
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 39
Cool... Watch... How much for the Rolex Yacht master 2 116680 pre-owned, very good condition, box & original papers?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jk_wattanaporn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2016, 10:01 PM   #18
Jk_wattanaporn
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 39
What do you think the price of yacht master 116680 will dropping more? The 116680 pre-owned price is dropping from the new one.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jk_wattanaporn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2016, 01:24 PM   #19
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk_wattanaporn View Post
Cool... Watch... How much for the Rolex Yacht master 2 116680 pre-owned, very good condition, box & original papers?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pre owned completes are running around 13k-ish
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 01:36 AM   #20
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member
 
AlphaOmega4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Real Name: J
Location: @ the Beach
Watch: AK 116900
Posts: 169
@Investr

I have the BLNR.. First Watch, First Rolex.. A 35th Bday gift from my wonderful wife.


I am up for a large promotion in October and plan to celebrate with the purchase of a 2nd Rolex.

This will be it for me for a few years more than likely.

I love the Yachtmaster II and the Rolex C..

you have the exact 3 watches I want.. However I am only at this time going to be the owner of 2 of the 3.

What is your preference between the Daytona C and the Yachtmaster II if you could only own one of the two to pair up with your BLNR.

I personally loved the 2 tone ever rose YMII after trying it on at my Local AD last week.

I would choose the white face Daytona if I went that route.

Looks like I will be paying about 17 to 18k for the Daytona (not sure if its worth it or not but thats the price) or picking up a Pre-Owned YMII SS or 2 tone.. Price new on the YMII makes no sense to me compared to what I can pick up a practically brand new pre-owned one for.

Would love an update from you.

I do agree love my BLNR for almost everything however I do need something different that dresses up a little better.

Best

John
AlphaOmega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 03:46 AM   #21
jrs146
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
jrs146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Real Name: Josh
Location: Lost in time
Watch: me nae nae
Posts: 6,650
The YMII might be the most beautiful watch that I would never purchase. I respect the horology and actually find it quite stunning in looks. I just get a headache every time I try to see what time it is.

Great review and It's awesome you love yours so much. PS. excellent collection!
__________________
"Sometimes the songs that we hear are just songs of our own."
-Jerome J. Garcia, Robert C. Hunter
jrs146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 05:28 AM   #22
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
@Investr

I have the BLNR.. First Watch, First Rolex.. A 35th Bday gift from my wonderful wife.


I am up for a large promotion in October and plan to celebrate with the purchase of a 2nd Rolex.

This will be it for me for a few years more than likely.

I love the Yachtmaster II and the Rolex C..

you have the exact 3 watches I want.. However I am only at this time going to be the owner of 2 of the 3.

What is your preference between the Daytona C and the Yachtmaster II if you could only own one of the two to pair up with your BLNR.

I personally loved the 2 tone ever rose YMII after trying it on at my Local AD last week.

I would choose the white face Daytona if I went that route.

Looks like I will be paying about 17 to 18k for the Daytona (not sure if its worth it or not but thats the price) or picking up a Pre-Owned YMII SS or 2 tone.. Price new on the YMII makes no sense to me compared to what I can pick up a practically brand new pre-owned one for.

Would love an update from you.

I do agree love my BLNR for almost everything however I do need something different that dresses up a little better.

Best

John
Wow!! That's a hard one... First off, amongst those 3 Id put my BLNR in 3rd place just bc the YMII has taken all of its "would-be" wrist time. BUT, you are obviously keeping the BLNR so in your case Id get the Daytona C. The watch is a joy to wear and the white dial is just perfection!!! Also, its great with dress clothes and Im not really a fan of subs and GMTs with dressy clothes. The YMII has a flash to it that I have fallen in love with and I love the 44 case size, but the Daytona would compliment your BLNR perfectly! PERFECTLY!!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 05:31 AM   #23
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
The YMII might be the most beautiful watch that I would never purchase. I respect the horology and actually find it quite stunning in looks. I just get a headache every time I try to see what time it is.

Great review and It's awesome you love yours so much. PS. excellent collection!
I know what you mean.... it was tricky at first but Ive gotten used to it. I keep the second hand running while Im wearing it and that seems to have made it easier.....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 06:07 AM   #24
Lordofrolex
2018 BOND 007 Pledge Member
 
Lordofrolex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Real Name: Brandon
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Watch: Yes Please!
Posts: 6,619
You have a great collection. I really like the look of the SS YM II but when i went to try it on it just didn't call to me.
__________________
Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
Panerai PAM 359
Audemars Piguet ROO "Panda" 26170ST


Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 07:42 AM   #25
AlphaOmega4
"TRF" Member
 
AlphaOmega4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Real Name: J
Location: @ the Beach
Watch: AK 116900
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Investr View Post
Wow!! That's a hard one... First off, amongst those 3 Id put my BLNR in 3rd place just bc the YMII has taken all of its "would-be" wrist time. BUT, you are obviously keeping the BLNR so in your case Id get the Daytona C. The watch is a joy to wear and the white dial is just perfection!!! Also, its great with dress clothes and Im not really a fan of subs and GMTs with dressy clothes. The YMII has a flash to it that I have fallen in love with and I love the 44 case size, but the Daytona would compliment your BLNR perfectly! PERFECTLY!!!
Thank you for that... as much as the YMII pulls on me It still leaves me a bit torn on if I was to go the RG/SS model for a little more detail and dress up or SS and keep it a little more every day and can dress up.

I do not own a Yacht However I do own a BMW M4 and have a love for Sports cars / Racing in general... so you may have helped direct me to my next watch the Daytona C White... Auto Culture has always been of huge interest to me... where as I do love boating and don't think you need to be a sailor to own a YMII

looks like I can pull the trigger on TRF for a Daytona C at 17k ish YMII RG around 16-18k or an SS as low as 13k.

decisions decisions.

again thanks for your input... I hope to be an owner of all 3 at some point.
AlphaOmega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 11:47 AM   #26
Investr
2018 Pledge Member
 
Investr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: Rick
Location: LSU
Watch: Constantly changes
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
Thank you for that... as much as the YMII pulls on me It still leaves me a bit torn on if I was to go the RG/SS model for a little more detail and dress up or SS and keep it a little more every day and can dress up.

I do not own a Yacht However I do own a BMW M4 and have a love for Sports cars / Racing in general... so you may have helped direct me to my next watch the Daytona C White... Auto Culture has always been of huge interest to me... where as I do love boating and don't think you need to be a sailor to own a YMII

looks like I can pull the trigger on TRF for a Daytona C at 17k ish YMII RG around 16-18k or an SS as low as 13k.

decisions decisions.


again thanks for your input... I hope to be an owner of all 3 at some point.
Sounds like you are on the right track. Funnily enough, here is the order in which I bought the 3 watches- BLNR, Daytona C, and YMII. Also, I like TTs but the TT YMII just didn't do it for me for some reason.
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 02:17 PM   #27
16610v
"TRF" Member
 
16610v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: YL
Watch: Submariner
Posts: 641
Wow...OP have the best watches!

The Daytona C white and YMII both share a strong white tone for the dial. For more than 1 year wearing, which one you like more?
__________________
Instagram: litwing23
Patek Philippe: Annual Calendar WG 5396G with Tiffany stamp
Rolex: 116509 WG panda, 116520 black, 16520 white, 5513 Maxi Mk5, 16610LV, SD43 126600 Mk1
IWC: John Mayer Big Pilot 5002-01, Omega: Speedmaster Professional x 3
16610v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2017, 07:10 PM   #28
regnant
"TRF" Member
 
regnant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Close to Rolex AD
Posts: 3,473
Nice review, I missed this one
YM II 116680 is a massive watch aside from the crown digging on my wrist, I can't fault the watch. The solution is simple and easy. I wear leather straps along with such watches whose crown is rubbing my wrist or wear right hand , problem solved
__________________
http://s30.postimg.org/eykg4i271/A_Lange_Sohne_Movement.jpg
regnant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 05:44 AM   #29
Cyberbug
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NJ
Watch: Rolex,Panerai,IWC
Posts: 11
Nice..just bought one from DavidSW
Cyberbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:06 AM   #30
HK Islandboy
2018 DAYTONA Pledge Member
 
HK Islandboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hong Kong
Watch: AP
Posts: 3,169
Great review and great photos. I like this watch a lot and also went through the "I'd never wear that" phase until I tried it on. It's now squarely on the awuiaitikn list!
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2018, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.