The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 2 December 2017, 07:43 AM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Would you consider all bets being off on Omas pricing?

I'm looking at a new Paragon right now but the asking price is double what it was a year ago and that still seems like the cheapest price around. This is for the titanium version so limited to 100 pens. Crazy how prices are on these.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2017, 08:28 AM   #2
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Well wait awhile. Should Omas emerge from the ashes even under a different name prices may stabilize.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2017, 03:29 PM   #3
tamiya
"TRF" Member

I thought components of Omas as it existed before (brandname & design, parts/inventory, labour/skills, plant & machinery) has parted several different ways to different buyers and unlikely ever to be reunited like before.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 05:03 AM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
I thought components of Omas as it existed before (brandname & design, parts/inventory, labour/skills, plant & machinery) has parted several different ways to different buyers and unlikely ever to be reunited like before.
As far as I know the equipment has been liquidated. It looks like ASC has some material stocks but they're not making faceted pens so far. Also the bands look to be laser etched but I haven't seen one in person yet to be sure. At least there's still hope!
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 6 December 2017, 09:56 AM   #5
Rusty888
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc BLNR
All omas old stock was sold off and is sold via eBay with new pieces being released every week. They keep going up.

The arco material ASC bought out the contract of the arco rods so they will keep being made but I’ve looked and they just aren’t as nice as the omas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rusty888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
In my opinion I do think all bets are off on the prices of the most desirable OMAS pens. Anything Arco included as well as the Titanium and Metal cap FPs and the Transparents / Demonstrators in models such as the Albas and 360s.

I was shocked to see a 360 in Arco Brown recently sell for $4200.00. A pen that was acquired for $1200.00 just before OMAS went down. Supply and demand will continue to drive the prices up for select OMAS pens and they may become some of the rarest FP one day.

I picked up a Arco Dama about 7 years ago. One of 53 made. So most of the OMAS models in select celluloids were not made in great quantity.

Even is someone somehow revives the name I have read that celluloids like the Arco are gone forever. All their rod stock was purchase by a couple of other penmakers. ASC purchased a lot and even Conid bought a few rods.

This is just my opinion. Great thread!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 05:01 PM   #7
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
In my opinion I do think all bets are off on the prices of the most desirable OMAS pens. Anything Arco included as well as the Titanium and Metal cap FPs and the Transparents / Demonstrators in models such as the Albas and 360s.

I was shocked to see a 360 in Arco Brown recently sell for $4200.00. A pen that was acquired for $1200.00 just before OMAS went down. Supply and demand will continue to drive the prices up for select OMAS pens and they may become some of the rarest FP one day.

I picked up a Arco Dama about 7 years ago. One of 53 made. So most of the OMAS models in select celluloids were not made in great quantity.

Even is someone somehow revives the name I have read that celluloids like the Arco are gone forever. All their rod stock was purchase by a couple of other penmakers. ASC purchased a lot and even Conid bought a few rods.

This is just my opinion. Great thread!
I KICK myself for not picking up a Paragon with a gold vermeil cap about a year ago! It was about $500 and it just didn't strike me at the right time. I had seen another one earlier and made the stupid mistake of thinking there would be more than a couple.......... Honestly I've made several mistakes.....several........ in building my Omas collection, not by the models but prices paid. Unfortunately I had to make ground quick as it turns out! If only I had another year EDIT: I did pick up a couple nice pens from Jim's collection at great prices though
Old 7 December 2017, 01:08 PM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
I KICK myself for not picking up a Paragon with a gold vermeil cap about a year ago! It was about $500 and it just didn't strike me at the right time. I had seen another one earlier and made the stupid mistake of thinking there would be more than a couple.......... Honestly I've made several mistakes.....several........ in building my Omas collection, not by the models but prices paid. Unfortunately I had to make ground quick as it turns out! If only I had another year EDIT: I did pick up a couple nice pens from Jim's collection at great prices though
I am inclined to think that the days of an easy OMAS collection is at an end.

OMAS will not return. Regardless of who obtains their name, equipment, or even their almost nonexistent rod material, OMAS is gone forever. It has been about 2 years and we who love OMAS pens are not to be satisfied, except with the lovely pens we now have.

ASC will be interesting to watch. I have purchased a couple of their pens and they are gorgeous. But I am skeptical. There is no replacing OMAS.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote