The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 February 2018, 09:42 AM   #31
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexbound View Post
Do they TRF members protect their data? See this thread -

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=585641

Seems like there have been incidents of identity theft in this forum, so yeah I would be concerned about posting a watch to anyone without payment.

Just makes me concerned that you are promoting the shipping of valuable watches to people (it doesn't matter who they are IMHO) without payment.
Well that's when it's up to the private seller to make sure he's dealing with the actual person they want to deal with it. I always try to confirm buyers/sellers via multiple methods. As for sending a watch w/o payment, think of the other side of the coin. When a buyer sends a wire (which is basically the same as handing over cash) without a watch, what's the difference? It's a risk either way.

What the "trusted sellers" (by that I mean people who sell here often that have been for a while and have a good history of transactions) has on their side is that they have a KNOWN HISTORY of good transactions. Some random private seller may not.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 09:46 AM   #32
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
I was considering a watch a few months ago that DavidSW had listed. If I was going to purchase it I was going have to do a trade with him. I sent 2 watches to him on a label he provided and when we could not get it done he sent them back as well.I had never done business with him but I did my due diligence and knew everything I could about him and his business so I was confident he was the one I was dealing with and sending my watches to. Research and research. I would have no problem as long as I KNOW who I'm dealing with. Relationships are what drives seller/buyer confidence. Know the seller and make sure he knows you.
forgedblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 08:16 PM   #33
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
I wouldn’t send thousands of dollars to ANYONE I don’t personally know or a valuable watch.Either they use pay pal or use trusted seller escrow or NO deal - simple. You are just setting yourself up for trouble w/0 protection.
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 12:54 AM   #34
newbee1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex day date
I understand your dilemma as I wanted to purchase a watch on TRF but seller only accepted wire transfer. I wasn't comfortable with this arrangement as I believe with paypal and cc payment, I have dual level of security which is not available in wire transfer. I ended up passing that deal and bought it somewhere else. There are no forum recommended sellers/buyers so you need to do your research and take risk. Search this forum and you'll see there were/are some bad apples as well. Good luck!
newbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 01:17 AM   #35
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

TRF “trusted sellers” now asking for watch first before payment?

Any transaction, anywhere, for anything, has some element of risk involved.

This discussion has done a good job covering some of them already. The one item I’d add is the uncertainty factor. It rarely happens but when it does, you have little leverage.

While a seller has a good reputation, one that has been built over years of positive transactions, it can turn on a dime when things go bad. That’s the uncertainty factor. And it could be an untimely health matter, or accident that leaves your transaction in limbo.

Mitigating it via escrow only shifts the risk to a 3rd party - one that could also go bad. The escrow undoubtedly will cost $$$ but doesn’t improve risk avoidance.

This is best solved by meeting the trusted buyer face to face - in almost any region of the US you can find a TRF seller a short drive away. If you are situated in other Countries, maybe not so convenient. Face to face mitigates those factors methinks. I have met them before locally, or met up at a midway location. I have sent a watch ahead of payment with Tony (justrolexes) and there are others mentioned in the posts who I’d trust, too.

Sure, there is an infinitesimal risk of an internet hijacker taking over a seller’s account - then agreeing to meet you - but the odds that the hijacker also lives nearby - and will show up - are below any other risks that a F2F solves.

Just my

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 01:29 AM   #36
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
both asked for watch first before payment, unless I take Paypal.
I would expect nothing less.

You are asking them to buy your watch, they have the right to examine it first.

I sold a watch in this manner and was fine with it since the person has a stellar reputation here.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 11:04 AM   #37
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I have a grey dealer in France, bought 5-6 pieces from him, sold 5 through him, I give him the watch and he wires me the money once he checked them, zero problems, he even became a friend, if you are dealing with one of the top ones, DavidSW, Takuya, and a few others I think you have nothing to fear, but better be careful anyways, my dealer became a trusted guy after a few years, I wouldn’t have trusted him at the start like I do now. Anyways if they are ok with paypal you are both covered I would imagine
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 11:20 AM   #38
Max16013
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16013
Seems fair to me - if they’re trusted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Max16013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:21 AM   #39
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

In the past I have done either F2F or sold a watch to the end user by shipping it. I received the monies prior to shipping. Just did a deal with Chase, we agreed on condition and price, he sent me a label. I shipped the watch the same day and he received it the next day. The day he received it I was wired the monies. Quite simple. We all know who are the Trusted Sellers on the forum, they have too much to lose by even one bad report.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 02:01 AM   #40
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
That is the normal here if they are a trusted seller.. Nothing out of the ordinary there..
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 02:55 AM   #41
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I would expect nothing less.

You are asking them to buy your watch, they have the right to examine it first.

I sold a watch in this manner and was fine with it since the person has a stellar reputation here.
Why don’t I get the same courtesy when I buy a watch from them? I should be able to inspect it before wiring the money, then renegotiate if the pictures didn’t match the condition.

I get it, it’s a rigged system. But any of these guys could go belly up and the seller would be SOL. There is a risk, and the TS is tying up merchandise free of charge. Where else do you do business where there is no reciprocity in the transaction process?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 04:28 PM   #42
zaratsu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Why don’t I get the same courtesy when I buy a watch from them? I should be able to inspect it before wiring the money, then renegotiate if the pictures didn’t match the condition.

I get it, it’s a rigged system. But any of these guys could go belly up and the seller would be SOL. There is a risk, and the TS is tying up merchandise free of charge. Where else do you do business where there is no reciprocity in the transaction process?
Because we have not built up the same reputation as the Trusted Sellers.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
zaratsu is offline   Reply With Quote