The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 March 2019, 08:15 AM   #1
MarcosdelaFrontera
"TRF" Member

Rolex Oyster Perpetual model 6085 repair

I inherited a Rolex Oyster Perpetual from my great uncle in the early 2010s - see attached photo. In August 2014, I had it repaired / refurbished by Seregin’s Fine Timepieces in San Francisco, CA ($850). Sorry - I didn't keep notes on what exactly they did.

According to Seregin's these are numbers for the watch:
Case/Serial # 909751
Model 6085
Year 1953

The watch ran pretty well for several years, after which it started losing a number of minutes per day. I took it back to Seregin's (in 2017-ish?), and they said that the parts were wearing out, and that it would be tricky to repair, because it's difficult to find suitable parts for watches this old. (They did warn me when they did the repair in 2014 that parts could wear out and cause the watch to run poorly.) I put the watch in a drawer and haven't dome anything about it since.

In addition, the crystal is cracked and the face has a little discoloration since it was repaired. When I shake the watch (gently!), it sounds like something is loose inside.

The watch has a moderate amount of sentimental value for me, but mostly I just like its classic look and enjoyed wearing it periodically when it was keeping decent time. After reading a recent NY Times article about vintage watches, I was inspired to research whether there might be watch repairers in other parts of the country or world with more access to vintage parts who would be able to resurrect this watch.

I live in Oakland, CA and frequently travel to Southern California. I also go to various parts of Italy once or twice a year. But I don't mind mailing the watch to someone who might be able to repair it effectively and relatively economically.

Thanks for your collective help.

Mark Middlebrook
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-03-26_rolex_oyster_perpetual_1953.jpg (129.3 KB, 174 views)
MarcosdelaFrontera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Sundaydriver
Banned

Watch: Seamaster, GMT II
RWT did a fantastic job on my 1950 6084.

I don't know if he would be able to help you but it might be worth it to send him a PM.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=6084
Sundaydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 08:11 AM   #3
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosdelaFrontera View Post
I inherited a Rolex Oyster Perpetual from my great uncle in the early 2010s - see attached photo. In August 2014, I had it repaired / refurbished by Seregin’s Fine Timepieces in San Francisco, CA ($850). Sorry - I didn't keep notes on what exactly they did.

According to Seregin's these are numbers for the watch:
Case/Serial # 909751
Model 6085
Year 1953

The watch ran pretty well for several years, after which it started losing a number of minutes per day. I took it back to Seregin's (in 2017-ish?), and they said that the parts were wearing out, and that it would be tricky to repair, because it's difficult to find suitable parts for watches this old. (They did warn me when they did the repair in 2014 that parts could wear out and cause the watch to run poorly.) I put the watch in a drawer and haven't dome anything about it since.

In addition, the crystal is cracked and the face has a little discoloration since it was repaired. When I shake the watch (gently!), it sounds like something is loose inside.

The watch has a moderate amount of sentimental value for me, but mostly I just like its classic look and enjoyed wearing it periodically when it was keeping decent time. After reading a recent NY Times article about vintage watches, I was inspired to research whether there might be watch repairers in other parts of the country or world with more access to vintage parts who would be able to resurrect this watch.

I live in Oakland, CA and frequently travel to Southern California. I also go to various parts of Italy once or twice a year. But I don't mind mailing the watch to someone who might be able to repair it effectively and relatively economically.

Thanks for your collective help.

Mark Middlebrook
If you are in Southern California, specifically Pasadena or LA I've heard (on this forum!) that LA Watch Works is the place. They are located in Pasadena, CA and only open from 9-5:30 M-F or by appointment. They will take your watch by mail too. I personally have not used them before but will in the near future for an immovable bezel on a GMT 1675. I have seen their work on this forum, it's very nice. Do a search for LAWW, you'll find plenty of information and examples of their unique work.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 09:00 AM   #4
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydriver View Post
RWT did a fantastic job on my 1950 6084.

I don't know if he would be able to help you but it might be worth it to send him a PM.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...highlight=6084
that is a good suggestion for 50's pieces like the OP's as Tommy really knows his way around them.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 12:20 PM   #5
MarcosdelaFrontera
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the suggestions.
Old 24 April 2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Vlad
"TRF" Member

No questions, Tommy is the best as far as older Rolexes go ... and he's a really nice guys on top of that!

As far as Seregin, I never used their service, but my absolute favorite watch was purchased from him! As such, I have to say, if they have an amazingly great selection of very very rare Rolexes, then probably they know how to service them.

Bought a very early datejust form him 15 years ago - this is the first time I named the seller.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 07:17 AM   #7
MarcosdelaFrontera
"TRF" Member

Thank you again for all of the suggestions. I wanted to report that I got in touch with Tommy ("R.W.T."), and he did a superb job of repairing my watch. It's great to have it back on my wrist again, and working well.