The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 March 2019, 06:59 AM   #1
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

1675 Crystal Replacement

Hello all,

I am recently new in to the vintage Rolex world (as well as watches in general). My most recent purchase was a 1675 chapter ring gilt

I also purchased a domed plexiglass from Michael Young. My question is whether my Rolex AD (NYC) will replace with this new crystal even though it is not a part from Rolex? And if not, do any of you have a recommendation of where to have this done in NYC?
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:09 AM   #2
mag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Zenith,Tudor
Hello,

Rolex or a AD will not use non-original Parts.
You have to find a independent watchmaker for this job,
maybe you can get a recommendation here :-)

Greetings from Germany
MaG
mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:08 AM   #3
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Fit it yourself it’s an easy job
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:15 AM   #4
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
I wouldn’t fit yourself. You are not experienced in this. Let a watchmaker do it, not that you can’t. I wish I could point you to a watchmaker in New York, but can’t. Someone here will chime in.

Welcome to the Vintage world of Rolex.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 01:06 AM   #5
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
I've had two crystals replaced on two different 1680s (took out the top hats and swapped with T19s) at https://www.watchrepairco.com/index.php
They were very nice, very efficient, very reasonably priced and the jobs were done in under a day.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 04:59 AM   #6
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I just nicked my crystal. If I go to RSC they will want a full service? Where can I find an alternative or something relatively well priced.

Truedome is an option but 300 USD.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 06:46 AM   #7
decisive
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
How are you doing this without a crystal press (you aren’t)?
decisive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 07:20 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I just nicked my crystal. If I go to RSC they will want a full service? Where can I find an alternative or something relatively well priced.

Truedome is an option but 300 USD.
There are various aftermarket options for less than $100, including classicwatchrepair.com as noted by the OP. If you know an independent watchmaker with a Rolex parts account (not many of them left), they may be willing to install an authentic crystal without doing a full service.
Old 26 April 2023, 09:24 PM   #9
decisive
"TRF" Member

One benefit of truedome; it’s the only know aftermarket crystal that is molded plastic instead of injected. Injected plastic in my experience is very brittle while the molded from TD might be stronger than the real thing. I’ve had MY crystals crack post installation. The new TD crystals can be twisted and won’t crack.
decisive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 08:40 AM   #10
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decisive View Post
How are you doing this without a crystal press (you aren’t)?
Who said anything about not using a press?
Old 27 April 2023, 09:20 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
One benefit of truedome; it’s the only know aftermarket crystal that is molded plastic instead of injected. Injected plastic in my experience is very brittle while the molded from TD might be stronger than the real thing. I’ve had MY crystals crack post installation. The new TD crystals can be twisted and won’t crack.
FWIW, the forums are also full of first-hand stories about TD crystals cracking. In those threads, the owner of TD generally shows up and offers to install the crystal himself, which is very kind of him, and great service.

I have only had my watchmaker install one TD crystal, and it was fine. It did not pass a full 10bar pressure test to the final "condensation" stage, but there can be many reasons for that, so I'm not going to blame the crystal for that one data point.

My feeling is that if you want a good quality crystal with true vintage looks for a watch that doesn't need a magnifier crystal, go with a TD. If you want the crystal that will be the most reliable and seal the best, go with a new Rolex service crystal.

I might be wrong, but I just looked on the TD site, and they don't seem to have crystals with magnifiers. So overall, for a 1675, I'd be going with a Rolex crystal, because I think it would look wrong without a magnifier. Also, unless I misunderstood him, in previous threads, @Springer has indicated that he thinks vintage GMT crystals and service GMT crystals are very similar, if not identical.
Old 27 April 2023, 09:40 AM   #12
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
Always easy when you know how, but most people don't.

Broken crankshaft on your car? Just change it yourself. Piece of cake.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:10 PM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Sorry but.................

In fairness, and according to forum members and past threads, True Dome crystals have been known to crack. I've had them on a couple of watches that I have purchased and one cracked and on the other one I replaced it with a Rolex crystal.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 05:53 PM   #14
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Always easy when you know how, but most people don't.

Broken crankshaft on your car? Just change it yourself. Piece of cake.
Slightly different degree of difficulty !
But I see what you mean
Old 28 April 2023, 03:39 AM   #15
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
There are various aftermarket options for less than $100, including classicwatchrepair.com as noted by the OP. If you know an independent watchmaker with a Rolex parts account (not many of them left), they may be willing to install an authentic crystal without doing a full service.
Thank you for the tip, I didn't see it being posted before in this thread.
Old 28 April 2023, 10:09 AM   #16
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thank you for the tip, I didn't see it being posted before in this thread.
The very first post mentions Michael Young.
Old 29 April 2023, 05:03 PM   #17
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
The very first post mentions Michael Young.
I didn't realize that was his site. I remembered a different one from him.

Thanks!
Old 29 April 2023, 11:09 PM   #18
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I didn't realize that was his site. I remembered a different one from him.
If you forget again, you can always use Google.

Old 9 May 2023, 12:50 PM   #19
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Sorry but.................

In fairness, and according to forum members and past threads, True Dome crystals have been known to crack. I've had them on a couple of watches that I have purchased and one cracked and on the other one I replaced it with a Rolex crystal.

In fairness John, this is misleading at best.

TrueDomes are manufactured via press molding. There are no other acrylic crystals on market that do this apart from original Rolex crystals. I love the T116 cyclops on 1675 but if someone wants the 38 dome version without cyclops you should not be dissuaded from the D38. I have had the same D38 example mounted on my personal 1675 since the first day of their release without any issues.

Cracks in acrylic crystals are due to 1 of 3 things: Poor fitment/installation, exposure to chemical solvents or abrasives, or blunt impact. This is as true for original Rolex crystals as it is for any other acrylic crystal... and Ive mounted over thousands at this point of both.

You'll all pardon me if I sound defensive but TrueDome is a genuine labor of love for me. It's my hope to bring to the community of collectors a product that will help us enjoy our watches as intended for years to come. If anyone has questions on install and performance don't hesitate to contact me.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 01:33 PM   #20
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

True Dome on my 5513 over here. I am very happy with it and after tons of research I came to the conclusion it was worth the money and quality is better than others available. I rather a TD and an independent service that the risk of sending a vintage watch (that rolex isn't keen on servicing) to Rolex.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 01:35 PM   #21
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
In fairness John, this is misleading at best.

TrueDomes are manufactured via press molding. There are no other acrylic crystals on market that do this apart from original Rolex crystals. I love the T116 cyclops on 1675 but if someone wants the 38 dome version without cyclops you should not be dissuaded from the D38. I have had the same D38 example mounted on my personal 1675 since the first day of their release without any issues.

Cracks in acrylic crystals are due to 1 of 3 things: Poor fitment/installation, exposure to chemical solvents or abrasives, or blunt impact. This is as true for original Rolex crystals as it is for any other acrylic crystal... and Ive mounted over thousands at this point of both.

You'll all pardon me if I sound defensive but TrueDome is a genuine labor of love for me. It's my hope to bring to the community of collectors a product that will help us enjoy our watches as intended for years to come. If anyone has questions on install and performance don't hesitate to contact me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg, there is nothing misleading regarding my post, it is based on my experience. Also, I find it interesting as to why you only singled out my comments and not others that have posted unfavorable opinions regarding their experience or the experience of others with the use of a true dome crystal. I reported my experience Greg, and others have commented not only here but elsewhere with their experience with your crystals - whether it be positive or negative. I'm sure that those who have had a positive experience with your crystals will continue to do so in the future and not be influenced by my experience with these crystals.

Again, my comments are based on my experience and remain the same as I posted.

Thanks for stopping by and good luck with all your future endeavors with these crystals.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 9 May 2023, 02:29 PM   #22
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg, there is nothing misleading at all in my post. Also, I find it interesting as to why you only singled me out for comments and not others that have posted unfavorable opinions regarding their experience or the experience of others with the use of a true dome. I reported my experience Greg, and others have commented not only here but elsewhere with their experience with your crystals - whether it be positive or negative. I'm sure that those who have had a positive experience with your crystals will continue to do so in the future.

Again, my comments are based on my experience and remain the same as I posted.

Thanks for stopping by and good luck with all your future endeavors with these crystals.

No need for the patronizing tone or the well wishes on my future endeavors John. I replied to your post because I reads as insinuating that TrueDomes will crack indiscriminately. This is untrue if installed and used correctly. I invite you or anyone who has had a negative experience with a TrueDome to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to problem solve with you and make sure it functions as it should.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 9 May 2023, 02:31 PM   #23
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
True Dome on my 5513 over here. I am very happy with it and after tons of research I came to the conclusion it was worth the money and quality is better than others available. I rather a TD and an independent service that the risk of sending a vintage watch (that rolex isn't keen on servicing) to Rolex.
Much appreciate yours and others support Jeff!

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 9 May 2023, 02:35 PM   #24
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No need for the patronizing tone or the well wishes on my future endeavors John. I replied to your post because I reads as insinuating that TrueDomes will crack indiscriminately. This is untrue if installed and used correctly. I invite you or anyone who has had a negative experience with a TrueDome to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to problem solve with you and make sure it functions as it should.
There is nothing patronizing at all in my comments. I made my point based on my experience. If you are that concerned about my True Dome comments, maybe you should discuss it with others that have had issues with the True Dome. Again, I'm sure that those who have had a positive experience with your crystals will continue to do so in the future and not be influenced by my experience with these crystals.

Practice more composure here and be more respectful or don't post at all.

For a review of the True Dome crystals as observed by members on this forum, here is a previous thread below:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ight=true+dome

Old 9 May 2023, 03:00 PM   #25
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is nothing patronizing at all in my comments. I made my point based on my experience. If you are that concerned about my True Dome comments, maybe you should discuss it with others that have had a True Dome crack on them. Again, I'm sure that those who have had a positive experience with your crystals will continue to do so in the future and not be influenced by my experience with these crystals.

Practice more composure here and be more respectful or don't post at all.

I agree we should all be respectful. If "Thanks for stopping by and good luck with all your future endeavors..." doesn't read as patronizing and an effort to shut down the conversation I'm not sure what does.

The point is simple: We are all in the same boat as collectors and enthusiasts. We love our watches and want the most for them. Yet we all have increasingly limited access to original Rolex acrylic. Hence TrueDome. You can be a valuable part of making them as good as possible by coming to me if you see an issue with them or you can be dismissive. I hope the former; to have you and other collectors as allies in helping me make sure TrueDome is as good as possible. I apologize if you felt my prior comments were demeaning to you.

I know that thread and have addressed the concerns raised on it.

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 9 May 2023, 03:27 PM   #26
Arnozerosix
"TRF" Member

the True dome is a very strong and reliable option to my eyes. (I don't pay attention to my sub, my 5512 is my toolwatch).
It is very transparent, and keeps its transparency if used with polywatch.
I used the CWP 3 times, not bad, but not as strong as the true dome...it cracked after 3 to 6 months...
Arnozerosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2023, 11:14 PM   #27
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
In all fairness, my TD D19 was fitted almost 3 years ago and is just perfect.

Have ordered a D39 (arrived in 3 days) to replace the service plexi on my DRSD. Watchmaker will be William Rice (UK), I do have the feeling a good technician is paramount, as in any 50 years old delicate item.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020.11.06 IMG_5763.jpg (164.2 KB, 182 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 12:00 AM   #28
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
You'll all pardon me if I sound defensive but TrueDome is a genuine labor of love for me. It's my hope to bring to the community of collectors a product that will help us enjoy our watches as intended for years to come. If anyone has questions on install and performance don't hesitate to contact me. :
For those of us not in the know, are you the founder, inventor, chief investor, etc .... of TD? I assume so, but I think it's important to know that up front as we read your comments.

I'll throw in my 2 cents as a longtime TRF member and a four-decade Rolex hobbyist .... Surely you don't think customers' criticisms of TD crystals, like John's above, are without merit. Why would they make them up or exaggerate? Customers want products to work perfectly all the time. I'm sure the crystals are fine in general, but there is always a risk using non-Rolex parts.

I would politely and respectfully suggest that a defensive approach is not the best strategy for building customer confidence.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 01:37 AM   #29
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
This?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 16.35.13.jpg (164.0 KB, 175 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2023, 02:55 AM   #30
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
For those of us not in the know, are you the founder, inventor, chief investor, etc .... of TD? I assume so, but I think it's important to know that up front as we read your comments.

I'll throw in my 2 cents as a longtime TRF member and a four-decade Rolex hobbyist .... Surely you don't think customers' criticisms of TD crystals, like John's above, are without merit. Why would they make them up or exaggerate? Customers want products to work perfectly all the time. I'm sure the crystals are fine in general, but there is always a risk using non-Rolex parts.

I would politely and respectfully suggest that a defensive approach is not the best strategy for building customer confidence.
Totally and absolutely agree! We all should know, and all of us deserve to know, whether there is vested interest in your comments.

Our respect for JP (springer) is not based on a single comment but the comments he made over all these years. His unbiased and professional comments earn the respect of many (if not all) of us. I, personally, value and will continue to benefit from his 30+ years of experience. I greatly and most truly appreciate his unselfishness to share his wealth of experience and knowledge.
ADINVA is offline   Reply With Quote