The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 February 2023, 11:37 AM   #1
Hslim888
"TRF" Member

Icon19 How long will you wear your watch until service?

Hello,

I just wonder how often should we service watches.

I read on the internet the common practice is 5-7 years for AP and Rolex up to 10 years.

But I have watches that are old because given to me by relatives who passed away and have no immediate family.

I expect these are not serviced for at least 12 years and above but they are still keeping time well, and the power reserve is good only cosmetic-wise (the rotor seems like has stains and scratches, beat up cases, etc.).

Overall the functionality is still exceptional. I saw one youtube said you don't need to service watch until it's not functioning well. otherwise, keep wearing it.

I want to get everyone's opinion.
Hslim888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 12:46 PM   #2
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
For Rolex, I lean towards servicing when timekeeping becomes an issue. Since the wearable parts are, relatively, cheap to replace during longer interval service (+10yr). However, I can’t believe this to be true with HH level pieces since their maintenance and parts are significantly more expensive. I’m going with 5-7 with my AP. Curious to other replies.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 01:59 PM   #3
whiterabbit66
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO,
I am not sure if a service is really needed if the watch has been looked after and is running fine? My RO is about 5 years old, rarely worn and I seen no point in service until there is an issue. My Rolex Sub is about 10 years old and still perfect too without a service. Its not like a car where they will you leave you stranded by the road so what's the risk? Will no service cause more costs down the road, seems unlikely.
whiterabbit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 02:07 PM   #4
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I’m of the school of thought with Rolex don’t fix it if it ain’t broke. Most parts that are likely to wear are included in the service price anyway. Now I have heard on higher end watches it makes sense to service them more regularly since the parts can be very expensive.
ExplorerI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2023, 03:54 PM   #5
Hslim888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
For Rolex, I lean towards servicing when timekeeping becomes an issue. Since the wearable parts are, relatively, cheap to replace during longer interval service (+10yr). However, I can’t believe this to be true with HH level pieces since their maintenance and parts are significantly more expensive. I’m going with 5-7 with my AP. Curious to other replies.
Interesting Yesterday I went to AP and ask the SA to take a look at my watch and he said my royal oka seems very good for its age and if the time keeping and the power reserve is very well then no immediate service is required.
Old 7 February 2023, 03:56 PM   #6
Hslim888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit66 View Post
I am not sure if a service is really needed if the watch has been looked after and is running fine? My RO is about 5 years old, rarely worn and I seen no point in service until there is an issue. My Rolex Sub is about 10 years old and still perfect too without a service. Its not like a car where they will you leave you stranded by the road so what's the risk? Will no service cause more costs down the road, seems unlikely.
Yes, I watch a Youtube channel that mentions whether you service your watch at 5 years mark for maintenance or 20 years because it breaks the cost will be relatively the same.
Old 7 February 2023, 03:57 PM   #7
Hslim888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
I’m of the school of thought with Rolex don’t fix it if it ain’t broke. Most parts that are likely to wear are included in the service price anyway. Now I have heard on higher end watches it makes sense to service them more regularly since the parts can be very expensive.
Kinda my principle to0, I think with AP should be the same. if the time keeping is still well and the power reserve is still good why bother?

Tags
audeamars piguet , rolex , service