The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 January 2016, 05:55 AM   #31
allprettythings
Banned

Watch: What happens
I was thinking the same thing when I first started to peruse the forum. I believe there are true watch aficionados that appreciate all of the intricacies that go into the making of the individual pieces....these people can memorize every minute detail of the watch they are wearing. They know the legacy, how and where it was made and the changes from year to year / generation to generation.

Then there is the other side of the ledger who can appreciate a fine time piece and see it for just that. A beautiful accoutrement that adorns their wrist. I for one cannot tell you a thing about any of my watches except that they put a smile on my face every time I put one on.
Old 3 January 2016, 05:57 AM   #32
mincepie
"TRF" Member

i didnt know what the Sub i wanted was called let alone the ref number, after poking about on here reading all the posts and getting a steer from the chaps i know i now need to try on a 116613 LB

It was confusing at first but i now have a much better idea. Like anything new the more to do it or research it the more familiar you become.

Long live the watch geeks i say
Old 3 January 2016, 05:59 AM   #33
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardm View Post
Well, MY simple answer is: I donīt.

When talking about cars I remember the model name, like Porsche 911 Turbo, but I donīt remember the part number in the dealerīs catalog.

I feel itīs the same with reference numbers. I remember the model NAME, like Submariner no-date, but I donīt find the reference number very interesting.

I think reference numbers are mostly useful for people that need to show that they are REALLY WIS as they know the reference number

I honestly think this forum would be better of, more interesting and more welcoming of new members, if people stopped flaunting the reference numbers and sticked to the model names, like Rolex do in their advertising.

But I guess others beg to differ...
Well car models are year dependent just like watches. There are different generations of sub/ GMT/ Daytona....

To quote your example of a 911 turbo, if you say 993/ 996/ 997/ 991 turbo, people familiar with 911 will immediately know what year or generation 911 you are talking about.

I won't say it is flaunting. Just a quick way of conveying info.

It takes time... I just google if I don't know what people are talking about.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:04 AM   #34
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona88 View Post
Being a BMW fan, I guess I got used to referring to numbers, which differentiate body styles, engines, and production years. Sort of the same for Rolexes, I suppose.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:05 AM   #35
Goldfish68
"TRF" Member

Seriously would somebody also memorize the serial numbers of their multi units collection(s) ?
Old 3 January 2016, 06:06 AM   #36
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
serial numbers are not the same thing at all ,,,
Old 3 January 2016, 06:12 AM   #37
Globule
"TRF" Member

Watch: out for snakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Not a great attitude. No one is forcing you to stay.
I come on to this forum for pleasure and I don't generally involve myself in the more controversial topics which just cause me to lose more hair, but I have to defend CG 123's point of view. I too find the constant reference to model numbers confusing and irritating when I have to look then up before getting the thread into context. I can understand nicknames and such as "BLNR" as they are more intuitive, but numbers leave me cold.

Whilst you are of course correct that no-one is forced to stay, your response, with all respect, smacks of smug elitism. I am making no personal attack but I reserve my right to express my opinion.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:17 AM   #38
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I would hope those that are new to TRF would make the effort to understand the derivation of the model numbers. It is VERY helpful in immediately knowing the PRECISE model.

Examples:
xxxx19 WG
xxxx18 YG
xx67xx GMT
xx66xx Sub Date
Old 3 January 2016, 06:19 AM   #39
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globule View Post
I come on to this forum for pleasure and I don't generally involve myself in the more controversial topics which just cause me to lose more hair, but I have to defend CG 123's point of view. I too find the constant reference to model numbers confusing and irritating when I have to look then up before getting the thread into context. I can understand nicknames and such as "BLNR" as they are more intuitive, but numbers leave me cold.

Whilst you are of course correct that no-one is forced to stay, your response, with all respect, smacks of smug elitism. I am making no personal attack but I reserve my right to express my opinion.
My response was in direct reference to a post that was insulting to trf and its members.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:26 AM   #40
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Ok, you are right, but you get my point? And everyone know which watch I was reffering to
Are you sure? Submariner no-date may refer to 6200, 6204, 6205, 6538, 5508, 5510, 5512, 5513, 5514, 5517, 14060, 14060M and I'm sure that I forgot some references.

In short, numeric references are way more precise than the name IMHO.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 3 January 2016, 06:28 AM   #41
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Are you sure? Submariner no-date may refer to 6200, 6204, 6205, 6538, 5508, 5510, 5512, 5513, 5514, 5517, 14060, 14060M and I'm sure that I forgot some reference.

In short, numeric reference are way more precise than the name IMHO.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:29 AM   #42
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Are you sure? Submariner no-date may refer to 6200, 6204, 6205, 6538, 5508, 5510, 5512, 5513, 5514, 5517, 14060, 14060M and I'm sure that I forgot some references.

Don't forget 114060.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:34 AM   #43
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Quote:
Why should he have to wait 1000 post to understand whatīs written? Wouldnīt it be easier if we all used the model names in stead.

Saying Mercedes E class, BMW M3, Land Cruiser or 911 without saying which generation it is doesn't make sense.

Same with watches. I bought a Submariner refers to a LOT of very different watches.

Becoming a WIS takes some efforts even when you are gifted on the Idiot part 😂. (No offense to anyone).
Old 3 January 2016, 06:40 AM   #44
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I have been "collecting" Rolexes since the late 80's. I joined some of the different watch forums a couple of years ago as I started looking at purchasing some vintage pieces for my collection. While I have loved watches and particularly Rolexes for a long time, I did not know any of the reference numbers even though I have owned many different models over the years.
I personally enjoy the process of learning, so I like the fact that people here use reference numbers and force me to do some research to understand what they are referring to. This has greatly helped me in conversing with other WIS and also been very helpful in shopping for watches and parts. This is especially helpful in the vintage arena👍🏻.
To me this is what makes this community so great, people freely sharing their knowledge and experience with others.
So I say thanks to those that have given me a free education in horology.
Ty: By height.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:47 AM   #45
Viffer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060,351050,79190
Quote:

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Nice info pity about the "no date" bit, they are all just Submariners, which is where the thread went pear shaped.
And if you can't remember reference numbers, just buy a piece which is named after your favourite cartoon character, simple
"Smug elitist"
Old 3 January 2016, 06:49 AM   #46
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

I love that there are people here passionate enough to know all the reference numbers. But, I also love that it's an open and (generally) welcoming enough community that you can participate and learn without knowing all the numbers yourself.

The people in the forum range from those with watch collections that are the envy of all, to teenagers inheriting their dads old watch, or those that can only dream of owning a Rolex. It's good to be inclusionary.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:53 AM   #47
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Well, one thing IS more important than reference numbers; it has been shown time and time again….never argue with a mod!
Old 3 January 2016, 06:55 AM   #48
Star Ferry
Banned

I don't like using reference numbers by themselves to refer to a watch, but they're not that hard to Google. That's what I would have done instead of starting a thread

Nor do I think reference numbers in and of themselves constitute horological knowledge.. but they do lend a common language to the forum. Every human endeavor has its own set of jargon, whether one is a sociologist, cardiologist or proctologist
Old 3 January 2016, 06:55 AM   #49
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I love that there are people here passionate enough to know all the reference numbers. But, I also love that it's an open and (generally) welcoming enough community that you can participate and learn without knowing all the numbers yourself.

The people in the forum range from those with watch collections that are the envy of all, to teenagers inheriting their dads old watch, or those that can only dream of owning a Rolex. It's good to be inclusionary.
I get what you mean but I think that tolerating Hulk and Batman is a huge inclusionary sign. People should do their homework and stop whining IMO.
Old 3 January 2016, 06:56 AM   #50
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Well, one thing IS more important than reference numbers; it has been shown time and time again….never argue with a mod!
You can argue all you like....just don't be antagonistic and rude when doing so
Old 3 January 2016, 07:04 AM   #51
skatr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Citizen Air Diver!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Don't forget 114060.
It took one swipe to select "114060" and one right click brought me to a google results page with the info. No typing involved. This thread is getting ridiculous.
Old 3 January 2016, 07:09 AM   #52
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
It'd actually quite easy 4 digit is the oldest followed by 5 digit and current lineup is 6 digit.
Closed Thread