The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2012, 05:19 AM   #31
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post

Guys...the AP is AWESOME. I see no flaws, love the design and absolutely have no idea why anyone would even consider not buying it. Please don't even consider the DSSD for another minute...there's just no need when you have the AP!

To be honest, I think there's probably not a need for any other watch in the whole world...this is the end all, be all. Anyone that disagrees w/ my opinion is obviously either, 1) blind, 2) brain-dead or 3) both 1 & 2.

Again, in case you couldn't figure it out, the AP is the only choice...I love it and can't see why others would think (or even worse, vocalize) differently.
Why don't you like the DSSD? It is a perfectly acceptible watch.
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 05:34 AM   #32
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
Why don't you like the DSSD? It is a perfectly acceptible watch.
Please read my multiple posts on the subject from years ago...I've posted plenty on why the SubC became my go-to Rolex diver over the DSSD.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 06:20 AM   #33
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
I realize this is probably not going to make a lot of friends, but I just don't get the AP appeal (from an aesthetics standpoint). I've tried to warm up to their look over the years, but it just doesn't do it for me.

The funky stop-sign, non-functioning bezel cases (w/ garish screws), dials that always seem too cluttered w/ their checker board layouts & hands that always seem way too plain & boring all add up to a watch that just doesn't look good to me.

No disputing their movement & build quality, but I've got to like what I'm looking at when I put a watch on my wrist and the AP's just don't do it for me. I've said it before, but to me the AP looks like something a 12 year old with above average drawing skills would design in the mid 80's.

For that reason alone, I would take the DSSD all day long. Good luck!
Totally agree. The wrist shot that was posted shows just how cluttered and incoherent the dial on the AP looks.
Plus $20k for a ss diver on rubber(is that right)......ummm, no(yes I know about the AP's craftsmanship). Besides the spec sheet for the AP is actually closer to the DSSD little brother, the SubC.
A better comparison would be the sub vs ap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxux View Post
I was in the same boat few weeks ago. I was in St. Thomas on vacation and had opportunity to try the Diver and few other APs and PPs. I wanted one quite a bit. Then I stumbled upon discussion here that was comparing the two from wearability perspective. After reading through it I decided not to get AP, but instead placed order for DSSD. I had mine for few weeks now and never looked back.

The key points that turned me back to Rolex were:
1. Great for daily wear and can take the beating w/o showing it
2. I can turn the bezel without unscrewing anything
3. Lume is brighter (I sleep with my watches and look at time when it's dark)
4. The bracelet on DSSD with Glidelock is just marvel of engineering and very comfortable. I hear others complain about big taper of the bracelet, but I do not notice that.

If I was looking for nice diver I wear only sometimes I would probably go with AP. But since I wanted watch that fits my lifestyle I decided on DSSD and I'm happy with it.
Greats points. It's difficult enough using either watch with wet hands, trying to unscrew the inner bezel and then turn that tiny bezel crown is a joke. In the AP I see haute horology but the DSSD is about function, engineering "and" horology.
I guess if you have the money to spend and diving really has nothing to do with the purchase(like most of us), you want something more rare, not really a tool, then go for the AP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
I just condensed what you wrote in two of your posts. Basically these two lines:
He has an opinion and you have yours which in fact I failed to know what it is since all you've seemed to really do is get into an english grammar dispute with this guy.
Sheesh, let it go man.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 06:31 AM   #34
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I have had both. Currently own AP, sold diver. It's a different ball park. I wouldn't mind a DSSD again at some point though as long as I still have my AP. PM me if you have any specific questions.

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 06:38 AM   #35
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
He has an opinion and you have yours which in fact I failed to know what it is since all you've seemed to really do is get into an english grammar dispute with this guy.
I never mentioned his grammar.

My opinion: I'm not a fan of either model being discussed on this thread. If I had to pick one or die a horrible and sudden death, I guess I would rather have the AP.
Old 18 November 2012, 07:53 AM   #36
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
AP without any doubt.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 08:43 AM   #37
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

I had a DSSD, and ironically a H1 too... I liked the DS a lot. The bracelet taper never bothered me, and tbh, I never noticed it. I loved the Glide-lock clasp, but hated the doomed crystal.
The Diver is very nice, never owned one, but I would choose it over the DS.
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 09:11 AM   #38
mineral
"TRF" Member

AP is the choice. I will take Diver anytime.
Old 18 November 2012, 09:38 AM   #39
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt View Post
I had a DSSD....
but hated the doomed crystal.
I have to ask what didn't you like abouut the domed crystal????
That & the matte dial are my favorite features of the Dssd
Old 18 November 2012, 09:53 AM   #40
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had a DSSD, and ironically a H1 too... I liked the DS a lot. The bracelet taper never bothered me, and tbh, I never noticed it. I loved the Glide-lock clasp, but hated the doomed crystal.
No doubt the glide-lock is awesome...DSSD's is much better IMO than the SubC due to the fact you can adjust the length w/o taking the watch off...man I wish the SubC had that version of the glide-lock.

But you 'hated the domed crystal'...really? I loved the domed crystal...gave the watch a very liquid look even when dry.
Old 18 November 2012, 09:55 AM   #41
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
x2. And don't forget the 100% indexed bezel...I love the fact the DSSD bezel has minute markers all the way around the bezel instead of just the first 15 mins as the Sub does. Another plus for the DSSD w/ that feature.
Old 18 November 2012, 10:07 AM   #42
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
x2. And don't forget the 100% indexed bezel...I love the fact the DSSD bezel has minute markers all the way around the bezel instead of just the first 15 mins as the Sub does. Another plus for the DSSD w/ that feature.
Have to agree about the indexed bezel as well
Old 18 November 2012, 11:11 AM   #43
Htab
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: To many
Wow tough decision. I was thinking the same thing. Not sure to trade me dssd for the ap diver
Htab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 11:12 AM   #44
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagebuilder View Post
The look of the AP is not for me. All my watches are round, I don't care for the 6 sided bezel, but that is certainly only my opinion.

But, $12k for a SS diver is plenty. The AP is $19k, on a rubber strap, just too much to me.
The AP is Octagonal,not hexagonal.

Either way, it ain't round!

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 11:35 AM   #45
rohardi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 216570
Diver For me. It will be the first AP I pick up. It will compliment my Sub C well I think!
rohardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 12:29 PM   #46
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

I'm biased with a 7+ inch wrist so I go with the Hublot Oceanographic. I have to say this since I own one:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseire View Post
Abit of topic but I'm in the same dilema. However I'm comparing the AP Diver vs the Hublot Ocenographic 4000 in titanium. Which would you get?
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 12:54 PM   #47
Patrick Lim
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
Choices between the AP would rest on how you intend to use the watch.

If the watch does dive below water (LOL), I would opt for the DSSD.
The AP Diver is way too much of a pretty boy to be worn for rough sports. Can't see the fine polishing go to waste nor surviving multiple dives without getting scratches.

Superficial views, yes. But man, it's a $20k watch and not a G-Shock which is more equally equipped for diving
Old 18 November 2012, 05:10 PM   #48
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickson Lim View Post
It is funny that all the details we appreciate are not yours.
IMO it would be relatively easy to sketch a watch, but to build something with extraordinary craftsmanship is totally another stroy.

Anyhow, it would be harder to draw a hexagon than a circle!

I meant story and octagonal!
Old 18 November 2012, 05:24 PM   #49
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
How many of you guys have owned BOTH? I honestly can say that without long-term wear, it's very difficult to get past any judgements based solely on superficial features. Both are marvelous watches and were in consideration for my next dive watch. I lived with both for some time but ultimately decided the Pelagos (and even the BPFF) were better suited for my purposes.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 07:35 PM   #50
ChristianN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
How many of you guys have owned BOTH? I honestly can say that without long-term wear, it's very difficult to get past any judgements based solely on superficial features. Both are marvelous watches and were in consideration for my next dive watch. I lived with both for some time but ultimately decided the Pelagos (and even the BPFF) were better suited for my purposes.
Oddly enough, reading this thread I was sitting here thinking about the Pelagos myself. It just makes more sense as a "beater" (a term I dislike) then anything else. It will take being hit from a o2 bottle, it will take getting hit by rocks underwater and it wont look worse for wear because of it.

I still feel that I'm missing a Pelagos. It's a brilliant watch.
ChristianN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 10:06 PM   #51
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticketmaster123 View Post
I would also like to add, for those that don't like the Diver, I think it is THE least photogenic watch on earth.

I have only seen 1 photo where I think it looks anything other than awful!

BUT...in real life it looks incredible. So definitely try one on before ruling them out.
I completely agree with this point I always thought the AP's were so so ugly until I saw them in the flesh and they really are beautiful they just photo so badly..

DSSD is the only rolex I think is actually too over designed they tried too hard and it's way too busy IMO.. however if your a 'proper diver' it's the only watch to get!!

The AP movements are actually incredible but obviously that makes the watches twice the price!
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 10:35 PM   #52
nick c
Banned

DSSD
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 11:29 PM   #53
Wristmaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching U
I tried dssd once, it feels and looks like a submariner injected with steroids.. While sub is one of the best looking watch i have to say otherwise for dssd.. Sorry.. The transition from the case, lug and bracelet is just out of proportion.. The bracelet on dssd seems to narrow to be mounted on a case that size..

While for AP diver.. I only got the chance to look at it in pics, then im sold.
Wristmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2012, 11:47 PM   #54
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I haven't owned both. I don't think any of the watches are bad per se. I think the DSSD is too big for my tastes and over kill for diving, since the deepest anyone goes is around 120 ft. The deepest I have ever been is 60-70 ft! The AP is more reasonable in size, and I like how it looks, but it is not my first choice for a diving watch or for an AP watch in general (the skeleton RO automatic was my first AP choice!). In terms of diving watches I loved the TT SubC Bluesy and the BPFF Dark Knight. Though, I don't dive with any of my watches on. I actually end up using dive computers instead; it is just more convenient and easier than using dive tables or calculators.
Old 19 November 2012, 12:20 AM   #55
Blueoctopus007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
AP looks too busy.

Deep Sea all the way, due to it's techical build and looks.

It's a proper dive watch !!!

DAYTONA SS 116520 V SERIES

SEA-DWELLER 16600 V SERIES
Blueoctopus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 12:50 AM   #56
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Quote:
No doubt the glide-lock is awesome...DSSD's is much better IMO than the SubC due to the fact you can adjust the length w/o taking the watch off...man I wish the SubC had that version of the glide-lock.

But you 'hated the domed crystal'...really? I loved the domed crystal...gave the watch a very liquid look even when dry.
I didn't like the glare from the crystal... I get a glare from my Met Dialed Daytona too, i dont wear it often, so i accept it. On my AP FC, I can see the time at a moments glance, even in sunlight.
Other then the crystal, I loved the DS. I choose the Diver in this thread because I never owned it, I like the watch and AP's in general.
Old 19 November 2012, 12:52 AM   #57
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Btw, where the heck is Dalip with his Diver on bracelet pix? Those are enough to sway ANYONE to the Diver!!!
Old 19 November 2012, 02:18 AM   #58
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn't like the glare from the crystal... I get a glare from my Met Dialed Daytona too, i dont wear it often, so i accept it. On my AP FC, I can see the time at a moments glance, even in sunlight.
Other then the crystal, I loved the DS. I choose the Diver in this thread because I never owned it, I like the watch and AP's in general.
interesting, i hadn't noticed anyone mentioning the glare before... that would be a bit of a pain but the dome is sooo unique, i think i wouldn't mind?

Old 19 November 2012, 04:21 AM   #59
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Not a diver personally so the actual functionality for that purpose doesn't matter to me. I love the AP Diver.

Not a fan of the DSSD. I would love a no date Sub though. :)
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2012, 04:44 AM   #60
eric23
"TRF" Member

Diver!! I love the DeepSea but the Diver so nice!
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote