The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2021, 02:26 AM   #1
Oliverstevens
"TRF" Member

Rolex Oysterquartz Ultimate Guide & Surprising Facts

Do you know any cool facts about the Oysterquartz model. It is a model I dont often see much on but am definitely a fan of its aethetic and overall look. I had to look up an article on them and found that is most knoiwn for its mechanical calibers but honestly I think that it is just so rare, with less than 25,000 ever produced. Which one produced is your favorite if you were to choose? I think my favorite would have to be the Oysterquartz Day-Date 19019, I have always been a fan of white gold. https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ide-facts.html has a list of all of the models, take a look and let me know! I would also love to see a revival of this model, prefferbly in white gold of course but I think its time we get something along the Oysterquartz line.
Oliverstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 02:44 AM   #2
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverstevens View Post
Do you know any cool facts about the Oysterquartz model. It is a model I dont often see much on but am definitely a fan of its aethetic and overall look. I had to look up an article on them and found that is most knoiwn for its mechanical calibers but honestly I think that it is just so rare, with less than 25,000 ever produced. Which one produced is your favorite if you were to choose? I think my favorite would have to be the Oysterquartz Day-Date 19019, I have always been a fan of white gold. https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ide-facts.html has a list of all of the models, take a look and let me know! I would also love to see a revival of this model, prefferbly in white gold of course but I think its time we get something along the Oysterquartz line.

I like some Oysterquartz
Old 3 August 2021, 02:55 AM   #3
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
I like the Oysterquartz too, I really do! A re-issue would be the ideal solution for all the people who whine here and elsewhere on the internet about their mechanical Rolexes daring to lose or gain 2 secs/day...!!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 03:07 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliverstevens View Post
And before the Pre Rolex own 100% made in-house quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement. Now Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor, the battery life then was around 12 months. But at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement, to fit there Oyster case, so only stated the first Rolex quartz ref 5100 was water resist and not waterproof, now this was the first Rolex ever produced with a sapphire crystal. Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement, and the design was very still close to the beta movement, but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Calibre: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ± 60 seconds a year (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Now some of the selected Grand Seiko Japanese quartz model these were very accurate quartz model but very very expensive even back then.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 2 seconds per year after adjustment.
Now certainly the Japanese movement accuracy was much better than the Rolex movement
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is known about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

Now lets not forget there are quite a lot of mechanical parts in a Rolex quartz analogue watch. The same type drive train as in like say the cal 3035 less the balance and escapement and main spring. Its main spring is the battery and escapement the quartz crystal, and the quartz movement was more expensive than its mechanical brother if ever it needs replacing. Service time around the same as the mechanical as for cost I would have thought around the same as mechanical. But Rolex used to replace batteries free of charge and replace case back seals at one time, and today most top quality ETA quartz analogue can match or beat the Rolex quartz for accuracy.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 05:18 AM   #5
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I am really pleased I bought this, I looked for quite some time to get the right one at the right price. I wasn't looking to buy a TT, but I saw this one for sale, I had dealt with the seller before and 24 hours later, I was wearing it with pride.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
DJ 16030 - Buckley dial
DJ 16220
DJ OQ 17013
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 05:27 AM   #6
johnliley
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 August 2021, 06:20 AM   #7
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Passed on one in 1987 for an Oyster Perpetual Date.
The ticking of the OQ was too LOUD for me.
Now I wish I had bought one.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 07:39 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex Oysterquartz Ultimate Guide & Surprising Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I suppose an owner could try adjusting the OQ movement, but more apt to be a watchmaker doing the work.

According to oysterquartz.net website,
the rate trimmer allowed the factory to fine tune fore shipping and also allows for manual adjustment when the movement is serviced. This is to compensate for the frequency drift that comes with the aging of the quartz crystal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 08:52 AM   #9
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:

Now some of the selected Grand Seiko Japanese quartz model these were very accurate quartz model but very very expensive even back then.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 2 seconds per year after adjustment.
Now certainly the Japanese movement accuracy was much better than the Rolex movement
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is known about this movement.
My OQ was never very accurate (about +10 secs a month). My Grand Seiko 9F on the other hand hasn't gained or lost a second in the last five months, and I have a 1978 Seiko Superior (once costing the price of several Rolex watches) that was originally rated at an amazing +/- 5 secs a year, which still does pretty well at a steady +4 secs/month: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=791591
Old 3 August 2021, 09:36 AM   #10
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Some of my favorite white-gold OQs. Id love to see this style make a return but I am doubtful.

Also, Last pic is from a TRF members collection.

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:42 AM   #11
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Love mine. My father gave it to me on my med school graduation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6E6FBDEA-8C40-44C8-89BA-A80003783573.jpeg (120.1 KB, 216 views)
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:08 PM   #12
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
My OQ was never very accurate (about +10 secs a month). My Grand Seiko 9F on the other hand hasn't gained or lost a second in the last five months, and I have a 1978 Seiko Superior (once costing the price of several Rolex watches) that was originally rated at an amazing +/- 5 secs a year, which still does pretty well at a steady +4 secs/month: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=791591
Never owned an oyster quartz but I had a couple of GS quartz, one with a 9F and another with a 8J. I cannot speak for the 9F as I kept it for only a couple of months, I got it on a trade and it was not really my style; the 8J on the other hand was running a stunning +8sec/year and it had the independently adjustable hour hand, a feature that's missing in the 9F series.

My most precise watch ever was a Breitling B1 that was running an incredible +2.5 sec/year.

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:22 PM   #13
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
And before the Pre Rolex own 100% made in-house quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement. Now Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor, the battery life then was around 12 months. But at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement, to fit there Oyster case, so only stated the first Rolex quartz ref 5100 was water resist and not waterproof, now this was the first Rolex ever produced with a sapphire crystal. Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement, and the design was very still close to the beta movement, but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Calibre: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ± 60 seconds a year (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Now lets not forget there are quite a lot of mechanical parts in a Rolex quartz analogue watch. The same type drive train as in like say the cal 3035 less the balance and escapement and main spring. Its main spring is the battery and escapement the quartz crystal, and the quartz movement was more expensive than its mechanical brother if ever it needs replacing. Service time around the same as the mechanical as for cost I would have thought around the same as mechanical. But Rolex used to replace batteries free of charge and replace case back seals at one time, and today most top quality ETA quartz analogue can match or beat the Rolex quartz for accuracy.
Thank you for the history lesson Peter
Old 3 August 2021, 04:36 PM   #14
58junior
"TRF" Member

Didn’t they also make steel and two tone versions of the oyster quartz?
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 04:58 PM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58junior View Post
Didn’t they also make steel and two tone versions of the oyster quartz?
Yes, for about 25 years.
Old 3 August 2021, 05:58 PM   #16
Andad

Watch: A few.
Indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CB9E6CAA-014D-428B-B7C6-1002FBDA3C86.jpeg (124.4 KB, 147 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote