The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 16 March 2020, 01:51 AM   #2101
statsman
"TRF" Member

RW16610, is neutropenia helped by platelet donations? I’m a regular platelet donor (O+, and I lack some virus that 2/3 of the population has, so they like my platelets for people with immunity issues) and I was thinking I need to make a donation before I get exposed to Covid-19 (ha-ha). This next one will be for you, bud!
Old 16 March 2020, 02:04 AM   #2102
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Just remember the extreme measures that Wuhan had to take to get it to subside at the rate it did.

Italy eventually took the same steps, but a bit later in the curve. The effects of this delay will be telling.

Dr. Fauci just stated that his ideal scenario would be where people at the end of this said we overreacted.

I don’t think he has to worry about that, I think he’s building his exit strategy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 March 2020, 02:09 AM   #2103
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Agree that the constant repeating drama over the initial lack of testing capability in some countries is not helping. In my opinion It was initially important bring the issue to light. But now that government and industry seem to be devoting reasonable efforts and resources to increase availability of testing it is time to move on and talk about something constructive. Unfortunately, that does not sell as many clicks.

As to the utility of testing, I also agree that mass testing of people who do not fit the criteria is a waste of time and resources, and in fact is disruptive to the social distancing that is being advocated. Think about the strain this would put on an already over burdened medical system.

I do have one caveat. Since it appears that asymptomatic people may be able to spread Covid-19, people with a known exposure to a confirmed case, or who have spent significant time in outbreak area should also either self isolate or be tested.

I’m not looking for clicks, if you don’t like my opinion you are free to ignore it.

I have one question, how do we know if we have been around a confirmed case or not when we don’t test?

Everyone is now praising the US because you are testing but apparently it doesn’t matter, strange

The U.K. has reduced testing not increased it, that’s my issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 March 2020, 02:13 AM   #2104
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
Testing is a red herring
Try to convince the emergency medical establishment and public health experts that this is correct. I spent my entire career in both disciplines. You are wrong. 100%.
Old 16 March 2020, 02:18 AM   #2105
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Try to convince the emergency medical establishment and public health experts that this is correct. I spent my entire career in both disciplines. You are wrong. 100%.

Thank you Finally someone agrees it’s important, thought I was the only one.

Old 16 March 2020, 02:20 AM   #2106
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Just remember the extreme measures that Wuhan had to take to get it to subside at the rate it did.

Italy eventually took the same steps, but a bit later in the curve. The effects of this delay will be telling.

Dr. Fauci just stated that his ideal scenario would be where people at the end of this said we overreacted.
Good points. I guess it's difficult to tell precisely where we are in the curve until testing gets widely underway.
Old 16 March 2020, 02:38 AM   #2107
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post

Nope, you're not.
Old 16 March 2020, 02:40 AM   #2108
nilel
"TRF" Member

More food for thought

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/
Old 16 March 2020, 02:41 AM   #2109
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Dutch government just issued new measures to contain Corona virus.
Schools, bars, restaurants and sport clubs will be closed for three weeks. Effective from 6 pm CET today.
Old 16 March 2020, 02:45 AM   #2110
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
I’m not looking for clicks, if you don’t like my opinion you are free to ignore it.

I have one question, how do we know if we have been around a confirmed case or not when we don’t test?

Everyone is now praising the US because you are testing but apparently it doesn’t matter, strange

The U.K. has reduced testing not increased it, that’s my issue.

Moggo:

I was not referring you to re: the clicks, I was referring to the media. Sorry if you took it that way.

And I was not referring to GB. I was referring to the US. Sorry that I did not make that clear.

Hang in there.
Old 16 March 2020, 02:45 AM   #2111
nilel
"TRF" Member

Panic. Don't panic. I don't care

But I would argue you lose your right to a ventilator dialysis or ECMO if you aren't practicing social distancing. My daughter showed me all sorts of Instagram posts from last night of people partying with hundreds of others all over major centers in the USA.
Old 16 March 2020, 02:47 AM   #2112
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Moggo:

I was not referring you to re: the clicks, I was referring to the media. Sorry if you took it that way.

And I was not referring to GB. I was referring to the US. Sorry that I did not make that clear.

Hang in there.

Old 16 March 2020, 02:47 AM   #2113
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
I dont disagree that testing is not important.

Let me ask you this, let's say that everyone in the UK was tested on Monday and we find some and they are removed from the population, do we then test everyone on Tuesday?

The way this is happening is that if one suspects that one has the virus, one self quarantines, if the symptoms dont go away or gets worse, one is taken to hospital where one is tested to see if one has the virus.

Are you suggesting that everyone that has a sniffle be tested straight away? Where would they get tested, at a doctors or should they go to a hospital or should an ambulance be tasked their house?

You are saying test, test, test. How would it happen, would it be a daily thing for the whole of the population?

DAVE

Old 16 March 2020, 02:49 AM   #2114
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilel View Post
Panic. Don't panic. I don't care

But I would argue you lose your right to a ventilator dialysis or ECMO if you aren't practicing social distancing. My daughter showed me all sorts of Instagram posts from last night of people partying with hundreds of others all over major centers in the USA.
Yup saw that too... Unbelievable... (or maybe not)
Old 16 March 2020, 02:52 AM   #2115
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
RW16610, is neutropenia helped by platelet donations? I’m a regular platelet donor (O+, and I lack some virus that 2/3 of the population has, so they like my platelets for people with immunity issues) and I was thinking I need to make a donation before I get exposed to Covid-19 (ha-ha). This next one will be for you, bud!
Thanks! I'm actually not sure but should find out soon enough, one way or the other. There wasn't much the hemotologist could do back then but he did say when it gets severe basically that I would be getting sick much more often.

I did win a battle with viral meningitis and another infection before that but have had no other issues.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutropenia
Old 16 March 2020, 03:00 AM   #2116
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I dont disagree that testing is not important.

Let me ask you this, let's say that everyone in the UK was tested on Monday and we find some and they are removed from the population, do we then test everyone on Tuesday?

The way this is happening is that if one suspects that one has the virus, one self quarantines, if the symptoms dont go away or gets worse, one is taken to hospital where one is tested to see if one has the virus.

Are you suggesting that everyone that has a sniffle be tested straight away? Where would they get tested, at a doctors or should they go to a hospital or should an ambulance be tasked their house?

You are saying test, test, test. How would it happen, would it be a daily thing for the whole of the population?

Dave (hope it’s ok to call you that), I honestly get your point, we can’t test everyone daily but if we self-isolate we are not even having to tell anyone.

Why issue figures daily that just as well have been made up by a lottery machine. If those self-isolating now for 7 days are better after that time we still don’t know what they had so they then get stuck in a potential 2 weeks or more lockdown.

If we knew they had it and recovered they could help others less able when things get bad for them as they could be exempt from a lockdown.

It’s proven effective, look at South Korea, USA are now putting a huge emphasis on testing are they wrong?

This has nothing to do with politics or parties as I’m pretty much apolitical so don’t have a horse in the race. Just interested in humanity and testing has proven effective.

As for where, it’s a simple swab, not highly skilled, drive-thru systems were used in South Korea and results in 4 hours. I believe the US are now setting them up.

I have a sore throat and a runny nose, don’t meet any criteria so carry on I guess. It appears we are being asked to diagnose ourselves with next to no knowledge, 111 don’t even want to take a call.

One of the questions is ‘Have you been in contact with a confirmed case?’ Ummmm no idea as you are not testing.....

Old 16 March 2020, 03:03 AM   #2117
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Dr Fauci now calling for a 2 week "national shutdown".

“I think Americans should be prepared that they are going to have to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing,”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...onal-shutdown/

I was planning to head to Florida on vacation at the end of this week but I think I will go ahead and cancel it at this point.
Old 16 March 2020, 03:09 AM   #2118
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Dave (hope it’s ok to call you that), I honestly get your point, we can’t test everyone daily but if we self-isolate we are not even having to tell anyone.

Why issue figures daily that just as well have been made up by a lottery machine. If those self-isolating now for 7 days are better after that time we still don’t know what they had so they then get stuck in a potential 2 weeks or more lockdown.

If we knew they had it and recovered they could help others less able when things get bad for them as they could be exempt from a lockdown.

It’s proven effective, look at South Korea, USA are now putting a huge emphasis on testing are they wrong?

This has nothing to do with politics or parties as I’m pretty much apolitical so don’t have a horse in the race. Just interested in humanity and testing has proven effective.

As for where, it’s a simple swab, not highly skilled, drive-thru systems were used in South Korea and results in 4 hours. I believe the US are now setting them up.

I have a sore throat and a runny nose, don’t meet any criteria so carry on I guess. It appears we are being asked to diagnose ourselves with next to no knowledge, 111 don’t even want to take a call.

One of the questions is ‘Have you been in contact with a confirmed case?’ Ummmm no idea as you are not testing.....
Of course Moggo, please call me Dave, my friend, I do understand your points, I really do, I am also politically neutral as well, I wasn't suggesting you weren't, none of your written thoughts suggested it.

I do think that a "immediate" you have it or you don't have it" test would be ideal, I think these are in the pipeline.

If I was to give an opinion as to why everyone is not tested, it would be because I think that they would be overwhelmed and they fear this.

Your well though out points are well received my friend, between us, somewhere lies the answer.

DAVE

Old 16 March 2020, 03:17 AM   #2119
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Of course Moggo, please call me Dave, my friend, I do understand your points, I really do, I am also politically neutral as well, I wasn't suggesting you weren't, none of your written thoughts suggested it.

I do think that a "immediate" you have it or you don't have it" test would be ideal, I think these are in the pipeline.

If I was to give an opinion as to why everyone is not tested, it would be because I think that they would be overwhelmed and they fear this.

Your well though out points are well received my friend, between us, somewhere lies the answer.

To be honest I’m not hugely worried about getting it, but I’d like to know.

I have underlying health problems that don’t make me more susceptible should I get the virus but they make a long lockdown extremely frightening for me.

Stay safe

Old 16 March 2020, 03:28 AM   #2120
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Yup saw that too... Unbelievable... (or maybe not)
I remember during the swine flu outbreak a few years back, I saw people decide on their own to avoid crowds and going out so they wouldn't get it.

With the coronavirus, since the government is shutting things down, people are defiantly going the opposite direction in terms of "social distancing".

In other words "social distancing" is considered lame and boring now, which is also a surprise to me since young people seemingly couldn't care less about socializing in person (just messaging online on weekends as opposed to going out), but NOW they want to!!!

I guess people really do want what they can't have and will sacrifice health to overcome FOMO?? Idk It's weird. My allies have teenagers and they all want to go out now, where as before they were buried in a phone all the time.

The social behavior analysis of all this will be fascinating for years to come.
Old 16 March 2020, 05:09 AM   #2121
CalSRQ1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Dr Fauci now calling for a 2 week "national shutdown".

“I think Americans should be prepared that they are going to have to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing,”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...onal-shutdown/

I was planning to head to Florida on vacation at the end of this week but I think I will go ahead and cancel it at this point.
I live here. You should. I just stopped my parents from coming down. Lots of people in quarantine, including hospital staff. Don’t risk it- stay put
Old 16 March 2020, 05:10 AM   #2122
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Dutch government just issued new measures to contain Corona virus.
Schools, bars, restaurants and sport clubs will be closed for three weeks. Effective from 6 pm CET today.
Just saw that, I think many kids will be happy about that
Old 16 March 2020, 06:23 AM   #2123
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Am I the only one not worried??
You were saying?
Old 16 March 2020, 06:33 AM   #2124
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Let’s see, 2,726 confirmed case in the US, out of 300 million people, I don’t know how many deaths but I believe it is less then 10, so that’s... not very many. I don’t think I will join the ridiculous hoards of panic and start building a shelter.
Old 16 March 2020, 06:43 AM   #2125
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Let’s see, 2,726 confirmed case in the US, out of 300 million people, I don’t know how many deaths but I believe it is less then 10, so that’s... not very many. I don’t think I will join the ridiculous hoards of panic and start building a shelter.
I sincerely hope you're right, Paul, I really do.
Not sure the, 'head in the sand' is a good strategy though, and I hope we can laugh about this in a month.........or four.
Do you have any loved ones in the vulnerable groups?
I hope not.

Watches eh? Do they really matter?
Old 16 March 2020, 06:55 AM   #2126
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
I sincerely hope you're right, Paul, I really do.
Not sure the, 'head in the sand' is a good strategy and I hope we can laugh about this in a month or four.
Do you have any loved ones in the vulnerable groups?
I hope not.

Watches eh? Do they really matter?
Yes, my 86 year old mother, and she(we) are taking reasonable precautions; the hand washing, the sanitizer, the avoiding gatherings etc. But I just came out of a supermarket, went in there to buy a newspaper. The scene was absolute chaos, hoarding, fighting over articles, general panic; it’s a testament to the stupidity of the human race. When brain-eating Zombies start walking around I’ll get concerned.
Old 16 March 2020, 07:18 AM   #2127
statsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020..._United_States

63 deaths in the US. Over 3100 active cases (New availability of testing has this number growing quickly). The fear is of a situation like Wuhan or Italy where the hospitals were overwhelmed with very sick, very contagious people, leaving too few resources for others needing significant care.

Italy went from 620 cases on Feb. 22 to 10,000 on March 4. They have only doubled in the 11 day’s since they shit the country down. The US had over 600 on March 4, and 11 day’s later we are over 3,000. That’s better than Italy, especially for our larger size, but no reason for a parade yet.

The runs on the stores are ridiculous for some items (why water? Do they think the utilities are closing?) but understandable for others (sanitizer).

In my opinion, refusing to try social distancing is stupidly selfish and not brave independence. We need to flatten this curve of growth to buy time, time for treatments, time for a vaccine, time for hotter temperatures.
Old 16 March 2020, 07:26 AM   #2128
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
There are currently two ER docs in critical condition with the virus in the US after treating patients, one being a previously-healthy 40 year-old. This is serious.
Old 16 March 2020, 07:29 AM   #2129
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
There are currently two ER docs in critical condition with the virus in the US, one being a previously-healthy 40 year-old. This is serious.
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this. The sacrifice healthcare professionals have been making for the betterment of society is something I'm extremely grateful for.

I just hope the general public can keep their cool as much as possible but abide by the guidelines / instructions provided by the experts to prevent the spread of this deadly virus.
Old 16 March 2020, 07:31 AM   #2130
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020..._United_States

63 deaths in the US. Over 3100 active cases (New availability of testing has this number growing quickly). The fear is of a situation like Wuhan or Italy where the hospitals were overwhelmed with very sick, very contagious people, leaving too few resources for others needing significant care.

Italy went from 620 cases on Feb. 22 to 10,000 on March 4. They have only doubled in the 11 day’s since they shit the country down. The US had over 600 on March 4, and 11 day’s later we are over 3,000. That’s better than Italy, especially for our larger size, but no reason for a parade yet.

The runs on the stores are ridiculous for some items (why water? Do they think the utilities are closing?) but understandable for others (sanitizer).

In my opinion, refusing to try social distancing is stupidly selfish and not brave independence. We need to flatten this curve of growth to buy time, time for treatments, time for a vaccine, time for hotter temperatures.
Can’t argue, the numbers will definitely rise as testing becomes more prevalent. On the flip side I saw an interview on CNN where a person that was tested positive said she felt like she had a cold for a couple days and then was fine. That will be the majority of cases. Yes, we all should take REASONABLE precautions as you stated, and the vulnerable need to be extra careful, but frankly this Armageddon mentality that people are adopting disgusts me. The end is not near stupid-stupid people, wash, use sanitizer, avoid gatherings, everything will be fine. For those of you hoarding toilet paper (when did that become a cure for a virus?) hunker down in your nuclear bomb shelters and wait for the end of the world, the reasonable humans of the race will take appropriate precautions and go on living.
Closed Thread