The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 4 April 2020, 07:46 PM   #5071
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggo View Post
Does anyone wake up in the morning and struggle to believe this is all happening?

My mental health is starting to suffer pretty badly, I just can’t take all this in at times. It’s so surreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes - but it will be okay - day by day we are getting closer to the 'darkest day' and after that it just gets better. One day at a time friend. Keep going.
Old 4 April 2020, 08:11 PM   #5072
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does anyone wake up in the morning and struggle to believe this is all happening?

My mental health is starting to suffer pretty badly, I just can’t take all this in at times. It’s so surreal.

Agreed, it’s almost unbelievable to contemplate how much our lives ha e changed in 6 weeks. To gain a semblance of balance, it might be a good idea to take a break from the news, and perhaps also this thread!

I agree, it’s hard to mentally navigate through when so much is beyond our ability to influence. I would try, instead, to focus on what you can control.

Keep your spirits up, try to eat well, and try to enjoy some decent spring weather this weekend!

Old 4 April 2020, 08:15 PM   #5073
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

We are being asked to stay at home at watch TV, FFS.

If you are in good health and your friends and family are all similarly then you really should count your blessings, sit back, relax and tune out of constant media hysterics.

This will blow over.
Old 4 April 2020, 08:46 PM   #5074
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
You may watch it Dr Shiva
Vitamin A and D ,no worry

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 4 April 2020, 08:49 PM   #5075
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Thanks for the kind messages

I appreciate people saying ‘all you need to do is stay home’ but that is different for different people. It takes a huge toll on those susceptible to mental health and other problems to begin with believe me.

I wish I could sit and watch tv and tune it all out but the other health issues unfortunately didn’t go away when this pandemic arrived.

(Really not trying to moan as I appreciate some are going through catastrophic times and they are in my thoughts )

Old 4 April 2020, 09:13 PM   #5076
Brew
"TRF" Member

The magnitude of the failure of world leaders is simply overwhelming to contemplate. No need for them to even be interested in the news. They just needed to watch Netflix to see what was coming. And yet they have failed us.

I wake up angry, then the news reports the death toll, and I get sad.

Later, I may venture out to the supermarket, which has become a dreaded event. Will I bring back home the virus that kills my mother? I don't know. Stay tuned, I'll let you know, . . . . hopefully.

Yeah, I'm scared, angry, and sad, all at once, and in varying degrees at different points during the day.
Old 4 April 2020, 09:21 PM   #5077
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Easy to point a finger at the young generation when it is caused by the parenting of the generation before that
Was that fair Bas?

Old 4 April 2020, 10:09 PM   #5078
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Absolutely, yes. I also find myself feeling some guilt and disconnectedness from what is happening. I’m sitting here warm (even though it’s 9 degrees F) and safe in the evergreen forest while not far away, people are sick or dying, and essential workers in society are risking everything to keep the rest of us fed, safe and comfortable.

The worst moment in my day is when the peaceful escape of the night’s sleep is suddenly replaced by grim reality.
Old 4 April 2020, 10:11 PM   #5079
Kainz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor
Here in Canada, things are getting pretty serious(not as many cases as you guys) I work in a bank. I need to go the branch each to day to help clients get through this. Fortunately for us, the banks have allowed to skip your mortgage payments for 6 months if you lost your job due to COVID-19, and to be honest I'd say, at least 85% of my appointments(by phone) are for this. It is not easy mentally to hear so many stories about how they lost their jobs and they can't make ends meet. This week, we even had a client who needed to exchange his change(pennies) for cash to eat(most of our stores refuse cash, you can only pay by credit/debit). I'm trying to be optimistic but it is not easy...

In times like these, you realize how lucky you are to have family, health and a job...

Can you do something similar with your mortgage/loans in the US?

Take care guys!
Old 4 April 2020, 10:18 PM   #5080
Dawg2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
On a less serious note, here is a better and more thorough explaination of the toilet paper shortage. Makes me thankful for all the TP I have used at Starbucks over the years.

https://marker.medium.com/what-every...e-c812e1358fe0

Stay safe.
We will (and to some extent are) having the same supply chain / distribution model problems with food. Think of the shift from restaurant supply now needing to shift to grocery stores. Different plants, different packaging, different supply companies for grocery versus restaurants, etc.
Old 4 April 2020, 10:21 PM   #5081
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainz View Post
Here in Canada, things are getting pretty serious(not as many cases as you guys) but I work in a bank. I need to go the branch each to day to help clients get through this. Fortunately for us, the banks have allowed to skip your mortgage payments for 6 months if you lost your job due to COVID-19, and to be honest I'd say, at least 85% of my appointments(by phone) are for this. It is not easy mentally to hear so many stories about how they lost their jobs and they can't make ends meet. This week, we even had a client who needed to exchange his change(pennies) for cash to eat(most of our stores refuse cash, you can only pay by credit/debit). I'm trying to be optimistic but it is not easy...

In times like these, you realize how lucky you are to have family, health and a job...

Take care guys!

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
Old 4 April 2020, 10:23 PM   #5082
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
Absolutely, yes. I also find myself feeling some guilt and disconnectedness from what is happening. I’m sitting here warm (even though it’s 9 degrees F) and safe in the evergreen forest while not far away, people are sick or dying, and essential workers in society are risking everything to keep the rest of us fed, safe and comfortable.

The worst moment in my day is when the peaceful escape of the night’s sleep is suddenly replaced by grim reality.
It's overwhelming a lot of the time.
I'm finding lately that the best part of the day is that 10 seconds when you wake up before you remember what's going on.
Our 5 and 8 year old daughters have taken to sleeping with us these days in our big bed and it's actually been pretty comforting to be honest. I look over at those peaceful faces and remember why we're all doing this.
Old 4 April 2020, 10:35 PM   #5083
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I am looking at it as a war.

I am fortunate enough to be married to a positive, cheerful wife. We live in a fairly spacious suburban house bordering a wooded park. I understand it is more difficult for people who live alone, who do not get along with their spouse or have badly behaved children. Also, many have lost their jobs and/ or have financial issues.

If there was a nuclear attack and radioactive fallout, I am staying inside. Not much different here. It is your community duty not to infect or get infected. It is a matter of Hospital capacity for your community. We live in New Jersey, USA, the number 2 hotspot to New York. It must be spreading through the extensive and crowded public transportation system.
Old 4 April 2020, 10:42 PM   #5084
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Here in Canada, things are getting pretty serious(not as many cases as you guys) I work in a bank. I need to go the branch each to day to help clients get through this. Fortunately for us, the banks have allowed to skip your mortgage payments for 6 months if you lost your job due to COVID-19, and to be honest I'd say, at least 85% of my appointments(by phone) are for this. It is not easy mentally to hear so many stories about how they lost their jobs and they can't make ends meet. This week, we even had a client who needed to exchange his change(pennies) for cash to eat(most of our stores refuse cash, you can only pay by credit/debit). I'm trying to be optimistic but it is not easy...

Take care guys!
The 6 month staycation on mortgages is a creative idea and I’ve heard as of yesterday that over 500,000 applications have been received. I’m curious what sort of proof if any, the applicants must show to qualify.

FWIW most of our bank branches are closed here in Waterloo Ontario.

Stay safe
Old 4 April 2020, 10:49 PM   #5085
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
We will have to agree to disagree. The 1918 epidemic, World War I, World War II, the atomic bombs, the Great Depression, the Holocaust, AIDS, and so many other challenges. The world comes back. People marry, have children, celebrate happy days, build and rebuild societies. I personally don’t see this pandemic as the end of civilization. JMHO.
Couldn’t agree more Joey.

We have to stay the course and have some view toward a positive future here.

I agree that the effects of all of this (economically, socially speaking) will be horrible, but we will over come this.
Old 4 April 2020, 10:51 PM   #5086
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Easy to point a finger at the young generation when it is caused by the parenting of the generation before that
This kind of proves my point - it’s never their fault, everyone else has a duty to give them anything they want and to make them happy.

If they screw up, then blame the older generation

Victim culture
Old 4 April 2020, 10:51 PM   #5087
blassy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The 6 month staycation on mortgages is a creative idea and I’ve heard as of yesterday that over 500,000 applications have been received. I’m curious what sort of proof if any, the applicants must show to qualify.

FWIW most of our bank branches are closed here in Waterloo Ontario.

Stay safe
Quick online application. Friend did it and in the morning was approved. Took 5 minutes and guessing it's a quick look at your history etc. He's never missed a payment etc but this helps a lot as he's just lost his job.
Old 4 April 2020, 10:54 PM   #5088
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I am looking at it as a war.

I am fortunate enough to be married to a positive, cheerful wife. We live in a fairly spacious suburban house bordering a wooded park. I understand it is more difficult for people who live alone, who do not get along with their spouse or have badly behaved children. Also, many have lost their jobs and/ or have financial issues.

If there was a nuclear attack and radioactive fallout, I am staying inside. Not much different here. It is your community duty not to infect or get infected. It is a matter of Hospital capacity for your community. We live in New Jersey, USA, the number 2 hotspot to New York. It must be spreading through the extensive and crowded public transportation system.

I think that’s a good way to look at it. And yes, you are very lucky. Me too.

But we all have our own perspective. I want to be on the front lines. I want to do what I can to help. I want to be a part of the solution. Even if it’s just a small cog in the wheel.

So it’s incredibly challenging mentally for me to be sitting in my home watching other people, including some of my own team, take risks. I’ve been out to show support and do certain things for my customers when required and I’m completely wrapped up in mask and gloves and I’m washing and following all protocols.

However, 99% of the time I’m inside. Watching. Instead of doing.

Partially because I don’t want to infect anyone if I’m asymptomatic. Partially because I don’t want to bring home anything to my amazing wife.

The idea of watching her sick, destroys me. The idea of watching her watch me be sick, I can’t quite put the pain that conjure into words.

The worst part about this for me is not being able to help.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 4 April 2020, 10:55 PM   #5089
blassy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
This kind of proves my point - it’s never their fault, everyone else has a duty to give them anything they want and to make them happy.

If they screw up, then blame the older generation

Victim culture
I have this discussion regarding my nephew all the time.
At what point does the "younger generation" realize they're old enough to be responsible for their own actions?
Old 4 April 2020, 10:56 PM   #5090
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blassy View Post
Quick online application. Friend did it and in the morning was approved. Took 5 minutes and guessing it's a quick look at your history etc. He's never missed a payment etc but this helps a lot as he's just lost his job.
That’s amazing and good to know, thank you. I have friends who may need to receive this help, and will share with them now (if they don’t already know).
Old 4 April 2020, 10:59 PM   #5091
blassy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s amazing and good to know, thank you. I have friends who may need to receive this help, and will share with them now (if they don’t already know).
Hey Brian - no sweat. He filled it out at night and was approved the next morning. Believe he's with TD. Any bit helps these days.
Old 4 April 2020, 11:01 PM   #5092
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Couldn’t agree more Joey.

We have to stay the course and have some view toward a positive future here.

I agree that the effects of all of this (economically, socially speaking) will be horrible, but we will over come this.
Maybe. But to say with certainly is simply wishful thinking.

No matter how you slice this, things will be very different going forward.

You guys can all name the various things we’ve gotten through before. But those same people have mentioned in this thread that this is unprecedented.

Yes, I too am confident that we will eventually overcome. Things will normalize and our species will continue. But the new normal will be very different.

How that is defined remains to be seen.

Im not being negative. I’m being pragmatic.

We currently have no end in sight. That’s a fact. So we can’t state that things will get back to normal. Until an actual end is defined, it is just impossible to say what will be.

Edit to add I agree we need to stay the course. I’m not disputing that. But in this ever evolving situation we also need to be dynamic and open minded. A new way will emerge and we need to be ready to make the best future we can.

Old 4 April 2020, 11:03 PM   #5093
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

But we all have our own perspective. I want to be on the front lines. I want to do what I can to help. I want to be a part of the solution. Even if it’s just a small cog in the wheel.

So it’s incredibly challenging mentally for me to be sitting in my home watching other people, including some of my own team, take risks. I’ve been out to show support and do certain things for my customers when required and I’m completely wrapped up in mask and gloves and I’m washing and following all protocols.

Partially because I don’t want to infect anyone if I’m asymptomatic. Partially because I don’t want to bring home anything to my amazing wife.

The idea of watching her sick, destroys me. The idea of watching her watch me be sick, I can’t quite put the pain that conjure into words.

I know you’re not asking for suggestions, but I mentioned this in another thread, and perhaps it’s worth mentioning again here ...

One fantastic way to help is through your local food bank. They are hit with a triple whammy right now: People who hoarded things like canned goods and toilet paper, people donate less in times like these, and more people than ever need our help.

If you’ve got the means, a donation of money, food or time to a local food bank can make a huge impact.

This is what our family has chosen to do to help out.

I feel the same as you. Let’s beat thins thing brother.
Old 4 April 2020, 11:05 PM   #5094
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Good to hear you are both well!

Quote:

Being passive is being active in this slow motion train wreck. We look forward to seeing you both at a future, very happy watch event!
Old 4 April 2020, 11:10 PM   #5095
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe. But to say with certainly is simply wishful thinking.

No matter how you slice this, things will be very different going forward.

You guys can all name the various things we’ve gotten through before. But those same people have mentioned in this thread that this is unprecedented.

Yes, I too am confident that we will eventually overcome. Things will normalize and our species will continue. But the new normal will be very different.

How that is defined remains to be seen.

Im not being negative. I’m being pragmatic.

We currently have no end in sight. That’s a fact. So we can’t state that things will get back to normal. Until an actual end is defined, it is just impossible to say what will be.

Edit to add I agree we need to stay the course. I’m not disputing that. But I’m this ever evolving situation we also need to be dynamic and open minded. A new way will emerge and we need to be ready to make the best future we can.
I agree with you to a certain extent. Will things change? Absolutely.

The silver lining if there’s is one, is that we will be better prepared for the next time if one of these pandemics occurs again.

There are many positives to come out of this in terms of readiness, companies mobilizing to help, medical communities collaborating and most of all, the power of people to come together from all walks of life toward a common good.

All we have to look at is the past and that’s why I think it’s so powerful to mention how we did overcome these type of past events.

Maybe it’s a bit like the stock market thread .... all you have is past performance to go on....

I respect your view brother.
Old 4 April 2020, 11:11 PM   #5096
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Being passive is being active in this slow motion train wreck. We look forward to seeing you both at a future, very happy watch event!
I can’t wait to see your smiling faces again.

I kid you not, I write this with goose bumps. I can’t wait until the next time my friend.

Old 4 April 2020, 11:13 PM   #5097
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I know you’re not asking for suggestions, but I mentioned this in another thread, and perhaps it’s worth mentioning again here ...

One fantastic way to help is through your local food bank. They are hit with a triple whammy right now: People who hoarded things like canned goods and toilet paper, people donate less in times like these, and more people than ever need our help.

If you’ve got the means, a donation of money, food or time to a local food bank can make a huge impact.

This is what our family has chosen to do to help out.

I feel the same as you. Let’s beat thins thing brother.
I’m with you brother. Let’s beat this thing is right!!!

I’m helping in my small ways. But I’m more of a take charge kind of guy. This passive style helping grates at me.

But as my scarlet friend points out, it’s our way of supporting the greater cause.

Old 4 April 2020, 11:14 PM   #5098
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I agree with you to a certain extent. Will things change? Absolutely.

The silver lining if there’s is one, is that we will be better prepared for the next time if one of these pandemics occurs again.

There are many positives to come out of this in terms of readiness, companies mobilizing to help, medical communities collaborating and most of all, the power of people to come together from all walks of life toward a common good.

All we have to look at is the past and that’s why I think it’s so powerful to mention how we did overcome these type of past events.

Maybe it’s a bit like the stock market thread .... all you have is past performance to go on....

I respect your view brother.
I agree with everything you say, as per usual.

And I appreciate your attitude and perspective, as per usual.

This would be a better discussion over a meal.

Old 4 April 2020, 11:35 PM   #5099
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Ugh. Top leadership in my state (not naming names) made a discovery two days ago that the virus can spread asymptomatically, hence the statewide shutdown. Can't believe he did not know this over a month ago like everybody else. Just wow. SMH.
Old 4 April 2020, 11:36 PM   #5100
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just said that to my wife. Exact same words.
Closed Thread