The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 September 2022, 03:39 PM   #1
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 326938
PP 5524R or Rolex Skydweller?

Hello everyone,

I landed my dream job and want to celebrate by acquiring a new piece and am torn between the Rolex Skydweller 326938 (yellow gold bracelet and black face) or the Patek 5524R. The Rolex is probably better value due to the annual calendar in a precious metal, but the Patek is in a league of its own with the movement, though on a leather strap and higher price.
What would you all go with?

Anyone have either, or both of these?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone
HorologicalGangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 03:44 PM   #2
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Firstly, Congratz on your dream job.
PP or Rolex? depends on your current collections :)
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 03:49 PM   #3
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudiYunus View Post
Firstly, Congratz on your dream job.
PP or Rolex? depends on your current collections :)
Thank you!

I currently have a Rolex TT DJ 36mm and a Rolex GMT Batman. Debating hitting the trifecta with the ultimate Rolex (IMO) or my first Patek.
Old 20 September 2022, 05:12 PM   #4
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologicalGangster View Post
Thank you!

I currently have a Rolex TT DJ 36mm and a Rolex GMT Batman. Debating hitting the trifecta with the ultimate Rolex (IMO) or my first Patek.
PP, IMO
U can get SD later
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 05:34 PM   #5
namelesswatchguy
"TRF" Member

You have two Rolexes already. Go for the 5524. I have the G not R but it just gleams. Totally different league in terms of finishing and the feeling wearing it. And a use case you don’t already have covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
namelesswatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 05:47 PM   #6
DonLee
"TRF" Member

How is this even a debate... Patek Philippe all the way.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 07:31 PM   #7
EUguy
"TRF" Member

The 5524R is such a gorgeous piece. The color of the rose gold in combination with the warm brown-black sunburst dial is mesmerizing IMHO. Would love to have one. Only downside for me is the fact that the movement is a little small for the size of the case and that looks a bit odd (again IMHO). This is not the case with the smaller 7234 variant of the Pilot.

I suspect PP might fit the 5524 with a bigger movement (and bigger power reserve) and/or might get rid of the large pushers on the left side of the case because the new 5326 solution in the crown is being used. Would hate that to happen right after I purchased the 5524…

But all in all, the 5524 would be my choice and not the Rolex.
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 07:48 PM   #8
AG23
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on the job- great news.

Whilst there’s no wrong choice regarding the watches, I feel the SD would the be the wrong choice ;-) I do love the 5524.
AG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 09:44 PM   #9
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the Sky-Dweller for the appearance and robustness of the watch. It is a heavy hitter and the most technically advanced Rolex to date. I prefer the SS on Jubilee for a updated look. The Black or white dial are nice. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 09:47 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
These are going to wear much differently. The YG skydweller might be the most loud Rolex out there while the RG pilot is relatively low key. I wouldn’t skip the chance to have your first Patek.
Old 20 September 2022, 11:05 PM   #11
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
How is this even a debate... Patek Philippe all the way.
Said it perfectly.
Patek
Old 20 September 2022, 11:24 PM   #12
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Have you ever owned a luxury watch before? If the answer is no, I'd go for a loud Rolex first up. Enjoy showing it off - you've earned it! When the novelty has worn off, you will then want your next luxury watch. And buying a Patek is a sufficient upgrade over a Rolex to make you feel a confident enjoyment from your purchase. You'll never look back to Rolex again afterwards IMO.
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 06:45 AM   #13
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just got back from the ADs in my area and tried on a SS SkyD. Feels similar to my Batman, but larger wrist presence.
The Patek AD had no watches available to try on, not surprising.

I am going to have to go gray on this purchase. I talked to a gray market seller up in PHL who has a 5524R readily available and is about $4K less than MSRP. The SkyD is $3-4k over MSRP. I plan on flying up to PHL to try the 5524R on, and if it sings to me I'll pull the trigger.

Thanks again for all the replies guys, I'll post some pics after I purchase my final decision.
Patek 5524R
Old 21 September 2022, 07:26 AM   #14
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I don't think there is a need for a PM SkyD although I don't mind it on the oyster flex.

I would prefer the G over the R metal, but based on your two choses, I would go with the PP.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 11:14 AM   #15
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I just got back from the ADs in my area and tried on a SS SkyD. Feels similar to my Batman, but larger wrist presence.
The Patek AD had no watches available to try on, not surprising.

I am going to have to go gray on this purchase. I talked to a gray market seller up in PHL who has a 5524R readily available and is about $4K less than MSRP. The SkyD is $3-4k over MSRP. I plan on flying up to PHL to try the 5524R on, and if it sings to me I'll pull the trigger.

Thanks again for all the replies guys, I'll post some pics after I purchase my final decision.

Only 4k less than Msrp for the 5524 ? Don’t pay more than low 40s just wait

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 11:19 AM   #16
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
5524...Great reference, comfortable, great travel time complication, pp quality and movement .. No brainer

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 11:35 AM   #17
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Only 4k less than Msrp for the 5524 ? Don’t pay more than low 40s just wait

I thought $4k under MSRP was good? I haven't seen this piece anywhere for the low 40s.
Patek 5524R
Old 21 September 2022, 12:52 PM   #18
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought $4k under MSRP was good? I haven't seen this piece anywhere for the low 40s.

I would call a grey market dealer you trust and have him source you one - personally I’d wait until it’s under 40k next year but who knows nobody has a crystal ball - low 40s is probably not brand new but I personally would never pay over 40k for this piece

Old 21 September 2022, 02:27 PM   #19
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I would call a grey market dealer you trust and have him source you one - personally I’d wait until it’s under 40k next year but who knows nobody has a crystal ball - low 40s is probably not brand new but I personally would never pay over 40k for this piece

Thanks a lot for this information. I'm surprised this model is reselling for under MSRP. I'll take your advice and hold off for a bit. Maybe I can get the SkyD from an AD sooner to hold me over until the 5524R drops even further in price.
Patek 5524R
Old 21 September 2022, 02:32 PM   #20
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot for this information. I'm surprised this model is reselling for under MSRP. I'll take your advice and hold off for a bit. Maybe I can get the SkyD from an AD sooner to hold me over until the 5524R drops even further in price.

Thanks and good luck in your search

Old 21 September 2022, 02:55 PM   #21
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I understand this model is not too popular, and several international members have reported that this piece tends to sit on AD’s cases, so definitely not a hot model. If you want to buy brand new from AD you can probably find one that can order it for you. If you are going grey for lightly used, I agree with dauster that this should be trading at a bigger discount than $4K. if you look at the small version 7234, it’s trading in the mid-$30Ks or around 30% below MSRP. The larger 5524 should command less discount because it’s probably more desire (it’s marketed as a men’s watch while the smaller one as women’s watch). However, the gap between those models should not be that big.
Old 21 September 2022, 03:28 PM   #22
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
I understand this model is not too popular, and several international members have reported that this piece tends to sit on AD’s cases, so definitely not a hot model. If you want to buy brand new from AD you can probably find one that can order it for you. If you are going grey for lightly used, I agree with dauster that this should be trading at a bigger discount than $4K. if you look at the small version 7234, it’s trading in the mid-$30Ks or around 30% below MSRP. The larger 5524 should command less discount because it’s probably more desire (it’s marketed as a men’s watch while the smaller one as women’s watch). However, the gap between those models should not be that big.
Thank you for the information. There's only 1 PP AD near me, and they said I pretty much have to buy a model from their pre-owned selection of various brands to establish a relationship with them to MAYBE get a 5524R. I'm not playing that game. All of their pre-owned models are over MSRP and none appeal to me.
I guess my best bet is to go gray when the prices drop or an out of city AD for new.
Patek 5524R
Old 21 September 2022, 03:33 PM   #23
qrc36
"TRF" Member

I'm assuming your wrist is bigger than my 16.5 cm / 6.5 inch wrist.

I have the Skydweller in steel and 5524 in white gold. I can carry the Skydweller fine but the 5524 feels too big. I'd really recommend to try on the 5524 before making the decision, some Pateks feel/look different once you put it on your wrist compared to the photos out there.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2022, 03:39 PM   #24
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
I'm assuming your wrist is bigger than my 16.5 cm / 6.5 inch wrist.

I have the Skydweller in steel and 5524 in white gold. I can carry the Skydweller fine but the 5524 feels too big. I'd really recommend to try on the 5524 before making the decision, some Pateks feel/look different once you put it on your wrist compared to the photos out there.
Very interesting point, I never considered this. I figured they would fit similarly since they are relatively the same size at 42mm. I'll have to try one on before making a final decision. Thanks for the input.
Patek 5524R
Old 22 September 2022, 06:35 AM   #25
jsobral
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164R-5167R-5107R
I would go Patek, that model specially is at a good value.
jsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 07:06 AM   #26
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Congrats! First, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one. But, they are vastly different to me - pushers, typeface, simple vs complicated appearance, leather strap, totally different complications, etc. I have a 5524 and I will likely add a SkyD in SS at some point. The fact that you are asking on the PP board suggests to me that you are already leaning in that direction. Do you really think a majority of folks here will say otherwise? I can pretty much gtd if you put the question on the rolex board you would get 99% SkyD. In any event, two great watches and a happy celebration.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 07:19 AM   #27
vliberman
"TRF" Member

for all the people commenting on difference between finishing of the two watches, are u referring to the finishing of the movement? and if so, have you seen the actual movement of SkyD?

if you commenting on overall finishing of the watches outside of the movement, can you point to the specific difference in quality of finishing between two?
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 07:23 AM   #28
HorologicalGangster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
Congrats! First, I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either one. But, they are vastly different to me - pushers, typeface, simple vs complicated appearance, leather strap, totally different complications, etc. I have a 5524 and I will likely add a SkyD in SS at some point. The fact that you are asking on the PP board suggests to me that you are already leaning in that direction. Do you really think a majority of folks here will say otherwise? I can pretty much gtd if you put the question on the rolex board you would get 99% SkyD. In any event, two great watches and a happy celebration.
Thank you!
I actually did create a similar post on the Rolex general discussion section, and you are correct, more supporters of the SkyD for sure.
Both watches are amazing, I guess I'll go with the best opportunity to present itself first and go with that one.
Patek 5524R
Old 22 September 2022, 11:30 AM   #29
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I wanted to love the SkyD when it was released, and had the opportunity to try on multiple varieties at an AD in Hong Kong. Despite the cool complication, I found it a very awkward size and style. Too big to be as dressy as it looks, and too dressy to be as casual as the size and shape would warrant. I haven’t tried it in SS, but doubt that would change my opinion.

5524 all the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2022, 11:36 AM   #30
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Quote:
Thank you!

I actually did create a similar post on the Rolex general discussion section, and you are correct, more supporters of the SkyD for sure.

Both watches are amazing, I guess I'll go with the best opportunity to present itself first and go with that one.
Which did u go with? I'm thinking of going with 5524r. I had an all yg skyd, but sold and will replace with a yg dd40 green dial and a ss skyd jubilee with blue or black dial .

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote