The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 March 2023, 03:40 AM   #1
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Panera Bread using palm-scanning technology

I see this as another small step toward normalizing and exposing people to the idea of taking the mark of the beast: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/panera-...-palm-scanner/
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:50 AM   #2
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
The gadgets will help suggest menu items based on customers' order histories and allow employees to greet customers by their names
Yeah, that's not creepy.
Old 28 March 2023, 04:01 AM   #3
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I saw this the other day as well. Not only is tracking people a big thing but also tracking who those people associate with or meet with.

Naturally it's all to keep you safer.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...al-recognition
Old 28 March 2023, 04:04 AM   #4
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Weird. What will they think of next? A serial number tattooed on the wrist?

Hah...never mind. That would never happen...
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:05 AM   #5
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Yeah, that's not creepy.
That's exactly what they want the sheeple to think!
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:29 AM   #6
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Why use a palm reader? Facial recognition will recognize the person for the cashier to offer a personalized greeting and suggest personalized menu items.

Who doesn’t like to be recognized and treated like a regular?

Think about that next time the cashier a your favorite haunt makes menu suggestions.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:50 AM   #7
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Why use a palm reader? Facial recognition will recognize the person for the cashier to offer a personalized greeting and suggest personalized menu items.

Think about that next time the cashier a your favorite haunt makes menu suggestions.
It's nice to go into a place that you frequent, be recognized by staff and treated a little extra special because of it. But when the entity recognizing you is the company's data collection system, gotta think it loses a little something.
Old 28 March 2023, 05:06 AM   #8
330ci
"TRF" Member

Wow... I was going to make a post about this but after going off the deep end in the crypto thread I figured I better not.

Whether its this. Every gas station enrolling you in a phone number backed rewards program to monitor all the snacks and drinks you consume, credit card rewards programs, internet cookies, grocery store profiles for every customer to save a few cents, society is becoming increasingly terrifying from my POV.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:13 AM   #9
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Panera will be one of the first places to get rid of cashiers entirely.

They've already got user profiles set up.

I can check out in less than a minute from the time I walk in the door to my payment clearing as long as there's an open kiosk.

Seems like they're going to switch entering your phone/ email to biometrics. Which I will be opting out of their rewards program and possibly ceasing to conduct business there if that is the case.

Crazy to think there's going to be a database of everyone who ate lunch together. Especially when Paneras layout is geared towards public meetings.
Old 28 March 2023, 06:20 AM   #10
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Pass.

Not because I don't want to be part of their rewards program, but now they are capturing something that can link their data with the data of other companies who use the same technology with the palmprint as the common denominator.

I'll continue to use their app or eat elsewhere.

Same reason I don't have a facebook account. My photo ends up on there when other people post, but since I don't have an account, it doesn't link to other photos that I may be in with other people. It's anonymous for me.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:53 PM   #11
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Panera will be one of the first places to get rid of cashiers entirely.

They've already got user profiles set up.

I can check out in less than a minute from the time I walk in the door to my payment clearing as long as there's an open kiosk.

Seems like they're going to switch entering your phone/ email to biometrics. Which I will be opting out of their rewards program and possibly ceasing to conduct business there if that is the case.

Crazy to think there's going to be a database of everyone who ate lunch together. Especially when Paneras layout is geared towards public meetings.
Invasive technology is becoming ubiquitous. And companies are always happy to share your personal data with anyone. It’s scary what people in the background know about the little guy as he goes about his day, oblivious to the surveillance recording his every move.
Old 28 March 2023, 11:37 PM   #12
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I stepped into Panera a couple of weeks ago. No employees at the register. You had to place your order via the kiosk. I know how to use the kiosk, that's not an issue but I refuse to do so. Raising prices and reducing their costs while forcing the consumer to do their work doesn't sit well with me. We walked out. We were already frequenting Panera less and now unlikely to return.
Eventually we won't have choices but as long as we do, I'll opt to go elsewhere.

Last edited by Old Geezer; 28 March 2023 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:40 AM   #13
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Kind of sad really. Unless you're a regular do you really want someone you've never seen call you by your first name? I'm sure the employee feels the same way. Makes you want for the days of going into an old school deli with mom and pop behind the counter and just ordering off the big board menu.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:12 AM   #14
austinp
"TRF" Member

Don’t like the Panera. Gives me heartburn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:08 AM   #15
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Don’t like the Panera. Gives me heartburn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's super low quality food anyway. I'd only eat there if my life depended on consuming 9,000mg of sodium.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:12 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
It's nice to go into a place that you frequent, be recognized by staff and treated a little extra special because of it. But when the entity recognizing you is the company's data collection system, gotta think it loses a little something.
Right?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:18 AM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I stepped into Panera a couple of weeks ago. No employees at the register. You had to place your order via the kiosk. I know how to use the kiosk, that's not an issue but I refuse to do so. Raising prices and reducing their costs while forcing the consumer to do their work doesn't sit well with me. We walked out. We were already frequenting Panera less and now unlikely to return.
Eventually we won't have choices but as long as we do, I'll opt to go elsewhere.
You do self checkout at the grocery don’t you? If so how is this any different?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 05:27 AM   #18
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Invasive technology is becoming ubiquitous. And companies are always happy to share your personal data with anyone. It’s scary what people in the background know about the little guy as he goes about his day, oblivious to the surveillance recording his every move.
Decided to grab Mexican for lunch today to avoid the ubiquitous tech at Panera.

Counted 7 surveillance cameras in this place so far. Not including the 2 & voice monitoring software on my phone.

If that isn't enough. I have a Garmin watch strapped to my wrist.

& probably passed a few plate scanners on my way into town.

I'm genuinely curious how much data is compiled on every citizen at this point. Between health records, GPS data, purchase records, rewards programs, search history, cell data & contact history as well as facial recognition software. I imagine there's a few companies or agencies that could compile a decent schedule of most anyone in this country at this point.

Hard to escape it all these days. Dare I say...impossible.
Old 29 March 2023, 06:11 AM   #19
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
Yeah it's super low quality food anyway. I'd only eat there if my life depended on consuming 9,000mg of sodium.
As a vegetarian who enjoys HIIT, its a pretty convenient place to carb load or resupply pre/post workout.

Sodium is good for water retention during endurance activities.

As far as slop goes, it's not the worst feeding trough. Definitely blows my mind how much it is without their deals/discounts though. If it weren't for its convenience, it really wouldn't be on my radar at all
Old 29 March 2023, 06:19 AM   #20
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As a vegetarian who enjoys HIIT, its a pretty convenient place to carb load or resupply pre/post workout.

Sodium is good for water retention during endurance activities.

As far as slop goes, it's not the worst feeding trough. Definitely blows my mind how much it is without their deals/discounts though. If it weren't for its convenience, it really wouldn't be on my radar at all
I know all about sodium and its subsequent effects on fitness. I have never heard one person in any organization praise Panera. Chipotle, yes, not Panera.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 06:56 AM   #21
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
I know all about sodium and its subsequent effects on fitness. I have never heard one person in any organization praise Panera. Chipotle, yes, not Panera.
The only difference I notice between the 2 is it takes an hour longer for me to digest Chipotle, and I generally feel less sluggish after loading up at Panera.
They have way better protein options at Chipotle though which i imagine is the main draw. I have to supplement with whey and nut blends.
Panera won favor through the winter because soup was more enticing than undercooked rice.
Looks like I'll be going back to Chipotle anyway though. Better value anyways. I'd rather throw up during my workout than be spied on for free stuff. Managers comp me regularly at Chipotle as it is. They love me there.. No need for their rewards program
Old 29 March 2023, 08:09 AM   #22
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... I'd rather throw up during my workout than be spied on for free stuff….

Post of the day
Old 29 March 2023, 12:42 PM   #23
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
I see this as another small step toward normalizing and exposing people to the idea of taking the mark of the beast: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/panera-...-palm-scanner/
Sounds real sanitary.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:00 PM   #24
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
You do self checkout at the grocery don’t you? If so how is this any different?
Actually, I don't. I'm not on their payroll. I go to Publix, chit chat with the person checking me out and the one bagging my groceries. Then we all wish each other a good day and I walk my cart to my car. Same at Target.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote