The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 March 2023, 12:17 PM   #1
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Tipping has gotten out of control

...more than usual...

I was searching hotels on sites such as Booking.com, Priceline.com etc. Clicked on one I liked and it asked if I'd like to tip... it gave 3 options for a tip and one for no tip similar to what you get with those Apple devices at a coffee shop. MAKE IT STOP - I'm doing all the work!!
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 12:32 PM   #2
Confuscious
"TRF" Member

In the UK you tip if the service impressed you. In the States you are FORCED to tip which is quite ridiculous. Although that entitled attitude is spreading to the UK.
Confuscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 02:29 PM   #3
OverGeared
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuscious View Post
In the UK you tip if the service impressed you. In the States you are FORCED to tip which is quite ridiculous. Although that entitled attitude is spreading to the UK.

No one in the U.S. forces you to tip, save for some restaurants which will add automatic gratuity for large parties. I'll agree that the opportunities/circumstances for tipping have increased since Covid, and by extension there's been an increase in perceived pressure to tip, but you can still just walk away from it.
OverGeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 02:34 PM   #4
330ci
"TRF" Member

Same thing with Panera self serve checkouts.

If I'm checking myself out, I should be getting a discount.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 03:06 PM   #5
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverGeared View Post
... but you can still just walk away from it.
However, food delivery workers have taken to refusing to do their jobs without a tip. That makes no difference to me, as I don't use them, but it is quite infantile.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 03:17 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Yet we have posts offering ideas on tipping ADs pre and post sales.

(Ps: I don’t tip ANY peasants unless I’m buying a kidney)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 03:29 PM   #7
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
However, food delivery workers have taken to refusing to do their jobs without a tip. That makes no difference to me, as I don't use them, but it is quite infantile.
Sounds like they need a better minimum wage or easy ways to ensure they get that?

Here in Australia, there’s a systemic problem of workers (particularly in hospitality) being underpaid. International students and migrant workers in particular are vulnerable to this form of exploitation, and generally seem to take a bleak view of having it sorted out formally (by the office of the Fair Work Ombudsman or through court). It sucks and is extremely common.

My ex-girlfriend was a federal government investigator and we found it hard to eat anywhere because she had investigated almost every restaurant in the city.

Tipping is not the solution, but for those who need the money, I think it would mean a lot.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 03:57 PM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
Sounds like they need a better minimum wage or easy ways to ensure they get that?

Here in Australia, there’s a systemic problem of workers (particularly in hospitality) being underpaid. International students and migrant workers in particular are vulnerable to this form of exploitation, and generally seem to take a bleak view of having it sorted out formally (by the office of the Fair Work Ombudsman or through court). It sucks and is extremely common.

My ex-girlfriend was a federal government investigator and we found it hard to eat anywhere because she had investigated almost every restaurant in the city.

Tipping is not the solution, but for those who need the money, I think it would mean a lot.
I don't want to go down a political spiral. I just want to suggest, if you have a job, do the job.
Old 17 March 2023, 04:17 PM   #9
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
I think, we have discussed this topic in about some months ago If I remember correctly, maybe it was Chewy who got upset that it wasn't fair to expect a Star Destroyer to be tipped for a coffee. Or something like that.

So let me add again another version for the tipping: we use a different method here in Hungary. Here the restaurants/coffee shops are starting to add this text for the listings: "Service fee is included in the prices". This means, that the former "tip" was eliminated, because this kind of general tipping became the essential part of the service. However the reason to do this was quite different.

Firstly, this way you could be sure, that this amount will go for the employees in full, because the employer have a MUST to pay this out for the employers in full. On the other hand, this kind of money has less, or even can have a tax free(!) payout for the employees. This way this solution became a win-win situation for everyone.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 04:23 PM   #10
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
I don't want to go down a political spiral. I just want to suggest, if you have a job, do the job.
To be honest, I don’t even know the political aspects of any of this, but see what you mean: even a bipartisan issue (like being broadly against exploiting people) can easily be worked in irritating ways. “Do the job” is a fair call, but I think so is ‘only work for money’.
White Collar Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 04:52 PM   #11
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I have noticed gratuity being added to posh shops and restaurants over here, about 12.5%, Harvey Nichols in Leeds and The Ivy in York do it, one can ask for it to be removed but, I don't bother, it is often less than I would give.

I haven't noticed it in the restaurants I use in North Yorkshire, but I always leave a tip that I hope is shared, after all, one of the chain of people preparing and serving my food may have a bad day, it shouldn't (in my opinion) affect the others. If I receive bad service or food a couple of times, I just don't go back.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 05:37 PM   #12
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A fair day's work for a fair days pay. If your business model can't support that and you rely on customers to make up the difference you shouldn't be in business.

Paying people a living wage isn't political, it's simple human decency.
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 08:31 PM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Was in Miami a few weeks ago.

They include 20% on everything. As gratuity.

But…they also have an another line for additional gratuity. And the service is, in my experience, provided with a frown. No smiles. No nice attitude. No friendly.

And god forbid you left that additional line blank and went back the next day.

It was frustrating to say the least.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 08:59 PM   #14
rr1958
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Tipping is totally out of hand. I'm supposed to tip someone for just checking me out when I order take out and pick it up? Really!
rr1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:36 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Tipping is out of control for things that are just basics, like counter service.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 09:50 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed, tipping seems to have modernized begging. Guess that's what happens when wages are not fair to workers.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 10:04 PM   #17
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Yet we don’t tip lots of people who should be tipped.

Why not flight attendants? They -more- than earn it. It would also probably improve their mood and demeanor. Just throw them a five on the way off the plane or have it in the airline app as something you can do once you deplane - sorta like the Uber tip model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 10:25 PM   #18
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I was on a website buying some hard to find in person groceries and at checkout there was a tipping option. For an online shopping site…
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 10:39 PM   #19
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
To be honest, I don’t even know the political aspects of any of this, but see what you mean: even a bipartisan issue (like being broadly against exploiting people) can easily be worked in irritating ways. “Do the job” is a fair call, but I think so is ‘only work for money’.
Thats an open market. Think you are underpaid, go get a job that will pay you more. If you cannot find that, your market value is evident and you need better or more skills. Our answer seems to be, pay people more for doing the same, or in many cases, less work. It makes absolutely no sense.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 10:42 PM   #20
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Not exactly tipping but had to laugh when not long ago I went to website to buy a couple of event tickets. Went through what seats were still available, selected two, entered my payment information, and opted for the 'Print Tickets at Home' option. Then at checkout, noticed each ticket had a hefty 'convenience fee' added to the price.

And I'm thinking, shouldn't I be the one charging that?
Old 17 March 2023, 10:56 PM   #21
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Here in Nashville some of the more frequently tourist used spots are heavy into the tip creeping thing that’s going on these days. Where 20-22% is the minimum that shows up on the tablet. It goes all the way to 35% at some of these places. It’s really ridiculous. I don’t mind tipping when necessary but the expectation of essentially just “give me money” has become quite absurd. Especially with everything having added coast as is with inflation. Many of these locations offer minimal services as well, or where you order and are tipping on the front end with no idea how the service will be.
Old 17 March 2023, 11:15 PM   #22
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post
Paying people a living wage isn't political, it's simple human decency.
Have you met a human recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Was in Miami a few weeks ago.

No smiles. No nice attitude. No friendly.
Yeah, you wouldn't smile either if you had to live in Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Thats an open market. Think you are underpaid, go get a job that will pay you more. If you cannot find that, your market value is evident and you need better or more skills.
I think we're starting to see more of that with the "great resignation" which isn't that great.

Personally, I've got no issue paying more for restaurants and such if they would start paying their workers better.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 11:22 PM   #23
watchmainspring
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Casio F91W
Tipping has gotten out of control

Tipping isn't helping the workers as much as helps the employers cut costs. But if I worked in service I'm sure I'd appreciate tips to feed my family.

Old 17 March 2023, 11:34 PM   #24
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Thats an open market. Think you are underpaid, go get a job that will pay you more. If you cannot find that, your market value is evident and you need better or more skills. Our answer seems to be, pay people more for doing the same, or in many cases, less work. It makes absolutely no sense.
Absolutely
Old 17 March 2023, 11:36 PM   #25
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Tipping in advance on food delivery apps is particularly annoying when orders are very late, cold, or incorrect.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 11:41 PM   #26
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmainspring View Post
Tipping isn't helping the workers as much as helps the employers cut costs. But if I worked in service I'm sure I'd appreciate tips to feed my family.

In the US, the restaurant industry has always been framed this way and having worked in it for many years, can say I made way more than I would have earning a "livable" wage instead. Does it reduce costs for the employer? Sure. But the good ones know that they will make more over a year being paid this way than a higher hourly wage. Those in local governments have tried to change this and the restaurant workers themselves have fought back against it.

I think most people have little issue tipping for a well done job in a restaurant here in the US. We all know that's how they earn their income and its broadly accepted here. What myself and others take issue with is that now its expected to tip for anything someone does and even if they are awful at it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2023, 11:45 PM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Well this grounds been covered before and you all know where I land on the subject.

Needless to say it’s not aligned with many of the comments here.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 12:02 AM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I think we're starting to see more of that with the "great resignation" which isn't that great.
When being on welfare has better pay and benefits than working....

Decades ago a very savvy lady I knew with two kids 'worked the numbers' and she was far better off not working. As an added benefit, she had time for family/kids, so the Great Resignation can bring benefits to society longterm imho.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2023, 12:14 AM   #29
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Sorry to hear of the spread.

Different salary structure for servers in USA.

I remember hearing the philosophy of tipping while in England.
Opening a beer… no tip,
measuring a shot…no tip
Free-pouring a friendly drink or mixing something special …yes tip

NYC taxis made a decision to have credit card payment a few years back. They signed up eagerly… the set tip options are 20/25/30%.
This was just another bad decision by taxis to be greedy and make the taxi ride an inferior experience. Tipping in the USA has started at 15or 16%. Never started at 20.

30% has been reserved for truly pleasurable experiences of which I can tell you, a smelly, uncomfortable, broken shock, tv screen blaring advertisements 6” from your face nyc taxi experience has never and will never qualify for.

Tipping… yes it has become offensive
Old 18 March 2023, 12:26 AM   #30
77T

Since the topic is tipping, I’ll stay out of the US’s safety net Discussion. True, in 13 states, a family can receive annualized support worth more than the local median household income - but there are so many valid needs that I won’t judge.

Tipping has always been a tough choice when poor fulfillment of expectations occurs. We tend to blame the messenger (i.e., waitstaff).

A $100 steak delivered “medium” when the order was “rare” is hard to pin down the root cause.

Advance tipping has now become the norm even at McD’s using ApplePay. Before the transaction can complete, the patron must choose a tip amount in many franchises.

Just saying that the technology of payment systems is also moving the needle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote