The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 March 2019, 02:32 AM   #31
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
24k isn’t much for Patek and AP buyers, don’t worry.

You assume patek and AP owners dont have a daytona already at msrp lol
Old 24 March 2019, 03:18 AM   #32
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
You assume patek and AP owners dont have a daytona already at msrp lol
Patek owner here who recently asked his Rolex AD about getting a Daytona. Looks like fall/winter... I'm patient/loyal.
Old 24 March 2019, 03:25 AM   #33
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Or for people paying 4K a month for a one bedroom here in SF.

True. Or Manhattan prices.
Old 24 March 2019, 03:29 AM   #34
GSBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
While we can cyclically expect global recessions and bubbles to occur I think lots of people are forgetting one main thing... the global economy is not under the same duress as it was 10 years ago.

Just look around at all of us. What do you think the percentage of individuals here are over extending to buy a watch? Perhaps a few percent? ... Many of us can weather the storm as we bought the watch to enjoy and wear with not a significant amount of financial stress (well at least I hope so).

Nothing says we have to sell or need to sell to pay the bills. I think many who are financially capable of buying these watches this time around is not over extending. If you are, I seriously pray for you...

I also think financial institutions are also not blind as they were before lending money out to anyone who “might” be able to spell their name in the 2000s. And a lot of that happened to be in the US. Canada (my home) was affected like many other nations but frankly quiet resilient. Real estate prices for example flattened and minimally readjusted in Vancouver but not a bombshell of a crash.

It’s different times. Seriously hope people have gotten smarter with their money. It basically comes down to that. Buy within your means! You dictate your bubble and more people do so, I don’t think pricing would differ too significantly.
Wait...you guys didn’t take out a second mortgage to purchase your Rolex’s!?! Dammit!!
Old 24 March 2019, 03:29 AM   #35
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
True. Or Manhattan prices.
True, but how many of them want to want to own a luxury watch? Most, do not.
Old 24 March 2019, 04:25 AM   #36
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Price of SS Daytona Post Basel

Three weeks ago in Germany I witnessed a deal for € 19k for a unworn white dial DaytonaC. Approx $ 21.5k anyway a steep premium.
Internet is showing asking prices, not the factual selling price.
Look at Chrono24 with a lot of inflated prices of sellers’ stock that is not available.
Old 24 March 2019, 05:56 AM   #37
Dhrejsa
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV Hulk
How long have most been waiting to purchase a stainless Daytona at an authorized dealer?
Old 24 March 2019, 06:18 AM   #38
Andy355
"TRF" Member

Has anything changed re steel Daytona? They are still making it right
I know you can't really get hold of them - glad I bought mine when I did
Old 24 March 2019, 06:20 AM   #39
Andy355
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrejsa View Post
How long have most been waiting to purchase a stainless Daytona at an authorized dealer?
In U.K. I emailed every ad in the country and got nowhere. Most aren't doing lists and even if you are a previous normal customer you have little or no chance it seems. I bought mine at a large premium but seems to be heading ever higher
Old 25 March 2019, 06:16 AM   #40
dsquared2
"TRF" Member

Price of SS Daytona Post Basel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannr1 View Post
Three weeks ago in Germany I witnessed a deal for € 19k for a unworn white dial DaytonaC. Approx $ 21.5k anyway a steep premium.
Internet is showing asking prices, not the factual selling price.
Look at Chrono24 with a lot of inflated prices of sellers’ stock that is not available.

Really? I did not find any white dial within Chrono24 Europe for less than 21k€...

Which is the reason by non stock watches in Chrono24 but listed as selling?
Old 25 March 2019, 06:30 AM   #41
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Just because that is the price online - doesn’t mean that is what people pay....Trusted Sellers make deals as well....

My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% true. I haven’t EVER paid the published grey price for a watch. I always low-ball around 10 of them and one always bites...
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
Old 25 March 2019, 06:31 AM   #42
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy355 View Post
Has anything changed re steel Daytona? They are still making it right
I know you can't really get hold of them - glad I bought mine when I did
What has changed is that you should sell me yours
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
Old 25 March 2019, 06:42 AM   #43
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
My sense of it is the watch dealers recognize that a recessionary period is coming with demand on luxury goods to contract. They want to maximize profit while they can. That’s all this is.
So am I to understand that businesses only seek to maximize profit if they think a recession is coming?
Old 25 March 2019, 07:30 AM   #44
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericisback View Post
Bugatti doesn’t need to worry about recessions.
No, but Volkswagen does.

Even when there are 100-500 potential clients willing to pay 3-5 million dollar for a Bugatti, VW can still pull the plug.
Old 25 March 2019, 08:21 AM   #45
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrejsa View Post
About a year ago my AD told me about 18 months. Just spoke with the owner last weekend and he said if stock keeps up at current levels I can expect one this summer.
Old 25 March 2019, 08:25 AM   #46
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericisback View Post
Although Rolex is a blue collar luxury watch, and usually a recession would hurt makers in this category, Rolex is an exception, because of its brand. Omega, Panerai, Swatch, and even JLC and Zenith DO need to worry. Patek, an VC are protected too, because of their buyers - Bugatti doesn’t need to worry about recessions.
I’ll correct you here. Some Steel Rolex remain within the reach of blue collar workers. Rolex as a whole is not blue collar.
Old 25 March 2019, 09:31 AM   #47
Andy355
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
About a year ago my AD told me about 18 months. Just spoke with the owner last weekend and he said if stock keeps up at current levels I can expect one this summer.

Is that because you have a relationship with the dealer? I can't find any one that will put me on a list. Have tried u.k. , NYC, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Hong Kong. In the U.K. I am a previous customer of 2 shops

I had to pay big premium to get mine but that was before the latest rally
Old 25 March 2019, 09:42 AM   #48
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is that because you have a relationship with the dealer? I can't find any one that will put me on a list. Have tried u.k. , NYC, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Austria, Hong Kong. In the U.K. I am a previous customer of 2 shops

I had to pay big premium to get mine but that was before the latest rally
I have a great relationship with my AD. My family has purchased some jewelry from them, but not even close to a VIP client. I bought my sub on spot from them last year, and have continued to build the relationship by just coming in and chatting, changing watch batteries, and sizing bracelets. A relationship is not always solely built on money spent (but my gosh that is the easiest).

I’ll be honest, I thought I ruined my AD relationship when I purchased my soon to be fiancés engagement ring from another store. The bottom line it came down to my AD being much higher in price for a lesser stone. I had a very candid discussion with the manager about all of this and he ultimately sided with me that I made the right decision by going to another store for the ring due to the price I was getting (my father’s purchase history REAAALLY helped me out for the ring).

My AD is pretty straight forward when it comes to “lists”, but they really don’t put people on the lists that don’t come into the store or have some level of purchase history.

If you walk into an AD and just ask to be put on the list for every hot model, truth be told, you probably aren’t on any list. You need to show that your are an honest person and purchasing watches for yourself, not to flip. My AD has offered me an SD43 and Hulk in the last two months and I’ve respectively declined letting him know the white Daytona / blue skydweller is what I really want (although he has let me know the blue skydweller is going to be a looong wait).
Old 25 March 2019, 09:47 AM   #49
Juantxo
Banned

Rolex must put an end to this craziness.
Old 25 March 2019, 09:54 AM   #50
RolexWearinSonOfAGun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV, 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
Or for people paying 4K a month for a one bedroom here in SF.
*raises hand*
Old 25 March 2019, 10:00 AM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebot View Post
Economics 102, there's always a big fish in the ocean.
Economics 103 “There's a sucker born every minute.” ― P.T. Barnum
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
Old 25 March 2019, 10:03 AM   #52
whuang29
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a great relationship with my AD. My family has purchased some jewelry from them, but not even close to a VIP client. I bought my sub on spot from them last year, and have continued to build the relationship by just coming in and chatting, changing watch batteries, and sizing bracelets. A relationship is not always solely built on money spent (but my gosh that is the easiest).

I’ll be honest, I thought I ruined my AD relationship when I purchased my soon to be fiancés engagement ring from another store. The bottom line it came down to my AD being much higher in price for a lesser stone. I had a very candid discussion with the manager about all of this and he ultimately sided with me that I made the right decision by going to another store for the ring due to the price I was getting (my father’s purchase history REAAALLY helped me out for the ring).

My AD is pretty straight forward when it comes to “lists”, but they really don’t put people on the lists that don’t come into the store or have some level of purchase history.

If you walk into an AD and just ask to be put on the list for every hot model, truth be told, you probably aren’t on any list. You need to show that your are an honest person and purchasing watches for yourself, not to flip. My AD has offered me an SD43 and Hulk in the last two months and I’ve respectively declined letting him know the white Daytona / blue skydweller is what I really want (although he has let me know the blue skydweller is going to be a looong wait).

I second this. I have a good relationship with my AD. Bought a patek and a few Rolex watches from them. I asked them if it was possible for me to get a Daytona for my graduation next year. They were willing to work with me on it and told me that it won’t be a problem at all. I think all it comes down to is being patient and checking up with them constantly to show that you are interested and not going to flip these watches for a profit.

I do admit sometimes it can get pretty annoying but it’s just how it is now

Old 25 March 2019, 11:29 AM   #53
MinMay
Banned

25K is a discount...the watch value should be 100K :)
Old 25 March 2019, 11:48 PM   #54
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsquared2 View Post
Really? I did not find any white dial within Chrono24 Europe for less than 21k€...

Which is the reason by non stock watches in Chrono24 but listed as selling?

The deal was not on the internet but at a watchfair where dealers and buyers meet in person.

For Chrono24 you need to have your watch advertised for 3 months at least and sell it exclusively via Chrono24. when sold you pay a fee of a few hunderd dollars, even if the deal is via another website or network.
So sellers who sell their watch and do not like to pay the fee, will let the advertisement ride for the mandatory 3 months.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 26 March 2019, 12:15 AM   #55
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
how much longer is this sustainable...
Never wasted any time thinking about it.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 26 March 2019, 12:23 AM   #56
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Quote:
In U.K. I emailed every ad in the country and got nowhere. Most aren't doing lists and even if you are a previous normal customer you have little or no chance it seems. I bought mine at a large premium but seems to be heading ever higher
I guess I got lucky...(Twice)

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=646984

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=664940
Old 26 March 2019, 12:26 AM   #57
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Never wasted any time thinking about it.
Same here...what will be will be.....
Old 26 March 2019, 09:51 AM   #58
Racingwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR
Quote:
DavidSW has BNIB White SS Daytona lister at $24,975; think this actually executes at this price / how much longer is this sustainable...

Earlier this month the same watch on his site was $1k cheaper. It could keep going up especially after the disappointing Basel releases.

Old 26 March 2019, 05:35 PM   #59
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Is no one wondering why someone said a GS is a better watch than a Rolex on page 1 of this thread? :)
Old 26 March 2019, 05:42 PM   #60
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbal View Post
economics 101, supply and demand at its best!
+1
Closed Thread