The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 October 2013, 11:23 PM   #1
cinch
"TRF" Member

Which PP next?

Hi,
I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post.
I bought my first PP earlier this year, 5167 and absolutely love it. I've always been a Rolex guy and currently have Sub LV and Sub 14060 but have also had a ceramic GMT and a stunning oyster perpetual which I sold for the 5167.

I'm getting the itch again and since turning to PP there's no going back. I fancy something more classic, I have 3 sports watches at the moment and love them but I need something a bit different. I've been thinking of a Calatrava, Initially the 6000g but I think that was just because I'm instantly drawn to sports models/ black dials. I've ruled that out now. So where next?
5127g, v nice and is a contender but I'm not sure I want the date function, I love the fact that the dial of my 14060 looks so balanced without a date on it. I've been looking at the PP 5196g a lot online and plan to check it out in person. This would definitely be very different to the models I currently have, which is a good thing. What are the opinions of you guys?
cinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2013, 11:42 PM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The 5127 and the 5196 are both excellent choices. Calatravas without a date are definitely dressier and quite appropriate for "formal events" like black tie. But it is nice to have a date on your daily watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2013, 11:56 PM   #3
cinch
"TRF" Member

I don't mind not having the date. Do you think the 5196 would stand up well to daily use?
Old 31 October 2013, 12:21 AM   #4
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

What's your budget?
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 12:45 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Definitely check out the 5196 in person. I think it will work as a daily watch if you work in a business setting and it is certainly going to be dressier than all your other watches. I think you will like it. But if there are other calatravas on display, try them on as well. Because sometimes you may be surprised what you may prefer when you actually try on and compare a few different models.
Old 31 October 2013, 12:47 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd get a nice Calatrava
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 01:18 AM   #7
cinch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
What's your budget?
£15k ish, may go higher but max £20k.
Definitely thinking Calatrava and more and more leaning towards 5196. Are there any fans of the 5296?
Old 31 October 2013, 01:19 AM   #8
cinch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'd get a nice Calatrava
Which do you consider to be nicest?
Old 31 October 2013, 01:51 AM   #9
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
I personally like the 5227 > 5296 > 5127 > 5196. However I like the date on the Calatrava for a daily watch. But if you get a chance to try on several calatravas at the same time, it may help make your decision easier.
Old 31 October 2013, 01:54 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I personally prefer the 5119J, the classic dial and hobnail bezel is to die for
Old 31 October 2013, 02:06 AM   #11
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I've got the 5196R with the silver dial & love it. Its the only watch I own that I would never consider selling.

I love most of the other Patek models mentioned (5296, 5127, etc.) but none beat the color combination on mine IMO. The hobnail bezels don't do it for me...too formal. Next choice would be a 5146G with the cream dial (or the 5167 on a bracelet).

Only problem is that I work in a casual environment so my Calatrava sits in the safe most of the time. I've been trying to wear it more lately.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 02:12 AM   #12
cinch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I personally like the 5227 > 5296 > 5127 > 5196. However I like the date on the Calatrava for a daily watch. But if you get a chance to try on several calatravas at the same time, it may help make your decision easier.
I think you're right, it's going to be a case of trying on a few models.
Old 31 October 2013, 02:14 AM   #13
cinch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I personally prefer the 5119J, the classic dial and hobnail bezel is to die for
I'm not keen from pics but then again I've not seen it in the flesh yet!
Old 31 October 2013, 03:30 AM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
I tried on the 5119R which is basically the same watch and even though it was still completely sealed in plastic I was amazed by the looks of that watch, it is much nicer in real life.
However I do think the black alligator strap could be somewhat less shiny.
Old 31 October 2013, 04:52 AM   #15
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Greetings

Quote:
Welcome to the forum!
Personally I would agree that the 5119 is a great choice and IMO much nicer than the 5196 for reasons that i will address in a moment, but to a large degree it's just a matter of personal taste. If you're not a fan of the hobnail bezel then it's clearly not for you but see it in person before you decide. The hobnail pattern is classic Patek but doesn't translate well to photos and is much more subtle and elegant in person.

Another huge advantage of the hobnail is that it doesn't show scratches. Important if you're an obsessive type. Contrast this with the broad flat bezel of the 5196 that's a scratch magnet. Either way it shouldn't rule your decision as polishing can easily fix the scars of daiły wear if you're so inclined. Just be aware that the hobnail will keep that new out of the box look much longer.

As for daily wear both are appropriate though some find the 5196 more versatile for casual wear. I hardly see that as a problem for u though as you have other fine watches in your stable for that duty.

Both the 5119 and 5196 share the same hand winding cal. 215 mechanism. Tried and true but originally conceived for a much smaller case and thus appropriately hidden behind the solid caseback of the 37mm 5196. At 36mm the 5119 allows a view of this beautiful caliber with its sapphire caseback although I still find it sufficiently undersized to sour me from this model as well.

Similar to the 5119 is the 5120 that houses the beautiful and thin automatic winding caliber 240 with its mini rotor. A true work of art and shared by some of Patek's finest timepieces. Like the 5119 it's a hobnail bezel.

The other watches you referenced all have the date function I believe, and I prefer the symmetry and elegant simplicity afforded by a dateless dial. Not as practical perhaps for daily wear, but again it seems you have other daily wearers already to chose from.

Hope that this has given you some food for thought. Truly they are all excellent pieces with unique advantage and disadvantages depending on your perspective and anticipated use. Honestly can't go wrong with any of these and my comments are not intended as criticisms but merely personal observations, hopefully helpful but certainly well intentioned. Good luck with your choice and again welcome to the forum!
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 05:18 AM   #16
cinch
"TRF" Member

Excellent, thanks Tony. The hidden workings was a con for the 5196 but I do have that with my 5167. I think I have to visit my AD ASAP.
Old 31 October 2013, 06:15 AM   #17
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

My AD has a 5196 that has a little shop wear. They would deal on it. I've tried it on several times.
yessir69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 06:42 AM   #18
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I been on a similar road before, after I bought my 5712, I want it a dress watch from Patek "Calatrava". So the rational answer was a hobnail version like the 5119. It look beautiful behind the glass but when I tried I just couldn't deal with the small size then I try to expand my options and consider the 5123R that has better a size (at least for me) 38mm. But again I felt cheated because is a small movement on a large case. Believe me I am stubborn and tried to stay with patek to this las moment but at the end, I just couldn't, and bought this instead :
WRUWTHIN.JPG

I love it, It's really awesome.
And once in a while I check for a Calatrava but I always go back to the same conclusion. I might consider the 5296 "sector dial", is nice but naahhh
Good luck!
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 06:58 AM   #19
cinch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
My AD has a 5196 that has a little shop wear. They would deal on it. I've tried it on several times.
That does look stunning!
Old 31 October 2013, 07:00 AM   #20
cinch
"TRF" Member

Jorge- do you have a wide wrist or was it just difficult to move down from the size of the 5712?

I'm quite skinny wristed, the 5167is perfect, no bigger for me.
Old 31 October 2013, 07:23 AM   #21
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jorge- do you have a wide wrist or was it just difficult to move down from the size of the 5712?

I have an average wrist size (Just short of 7")
I think is difficult to move down but is not just the 5712; I would say that is hard move down from "any average watch to a Calatrava". Those Calatrava are about 36mm. That is awfully small for me, the smallest watch on my collection is my pp 5146g, that one is 38mm, and that's my limit. So in a way I kind of created my own rule "Nothing smaller than 38". But the best way to find out is to try it out, it might be fine for you.
Old 31 October 2013, 07:53 AM   #22
cinch
"TRF" Member

It's definitely time to try
Old 31 October 2013, 07:56 AM   #23
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Size issues

Quote:

A couple of observations regarding size.
A classic dress watch is not supposed to be the size of a sports watch, despite trends to the contrary. To appreciate the beauty of the Calatrava requires an appreciation for the discreet and elegant. The Calatrava is small because it's supposed to be small - and thin for that matter.

The Calatrava will always feel small when rotated with a larger sports watch, but when worn alone for several days in succession it will feel sublime. Try it on and if you don't feel even a little like Clarke Gable then it's really probably not for you. A larger alternative to consider might be the gondolo models. Very classy compliment to your current collection, very dressy, and they wear larger because of their rectangular shape.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 08:04 AM   #24
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's definitely time to try
Yes I think is the best, because at the end you have to look at it in your wrist and be happy; Believe it won't matter if it's a classic or Iconic if you are not happy with it. Friends compliments won't do it either.
Measure twice, Cut once
Old 31 October 2013, 08:06 AM   #25
cinch
"TRF" Member

Tony- I think I'll be fine with the size, I did have an old Dunhill quartz which was 35mm and did me for years. It's only the past 4-5 years that I've stuck with sports models.

It will be nice to have something different in my small collection.
Old 31 October 2013, 08:25 AM   #26
cinch
"TRF" Member

Cheers Jorge
Old 31 October 2013, 09:53 AM   #27
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
I'm the type of guy who thinks dress watches can go very well with jeans and casual outfits, therefore I wouldn't hesitate a second to wear a Calatrava everyday.

As Bas said, the 5119 is a stunner but not for everyone, whilst I loved it when I tried it on and would recommend you to do so but I know a few people who didn't fall in love with it when they saw/tried it. As for the 5196, it sure is a stunner and perhaps a tad more casual than the 5119 so it would be a great versatile choice, I especially like the yellow gold version, as far as I'm concerned when it comes to dress watches this metal really give them a classy look.

I'll go on a stretch and give something a try, I understand you would like something dressy and different from your "more casual" and sportier Rolex's but if versatility may be an issue I'd like to recommend the 5296. It may have a date and the dial may not look as classy as others but as far as I'm concerned it could go very well with a suit and yet be an excellent everyday watch. I'm just giving you another option here...

On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 04:04 PM   #28
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
I'm the type of guy who thinks dress watches can go very well with jeans and casual outfits, therefore I wouldn't hesitate a second to wear a Calatrava everyday.

As Bas said, the 5119 is a stunner but not for everyone, whilst I loved it when I tried it on and would recommend you to do so but I know a few people who didn't fall in love with it when they saw/tried it. As for the 5196, it sure is a stunner and perhaps a tad more casual than the 5119 so it would be a great versatile choice, I especially like the yellow gold version, as far as I'm concerned when it comes to dress watches this metal really give them a classy look.

I'll go on a stretch and give something a try, I understand you would like something dressy and different from your "more casual" and sportier Rolex's but if versatility may be an issue I'd like to recommend the 5296. It may have a date and the dial may not look as classy as others but as far as I'm concerned it could go very well with a suit and yet be an excellent everyday watch. I'm just giving you another option here...

one of my favorites
GB-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2013, 06:04 PM   #29
cinch
"TRF" Member

Feelingtheblues- the dials of the 5296 and 6000 were very appealing to me at first, I think I'm very drawn to the casual/ sports watch but maybe I should go for something completely different to the sports models I've already got.
I haven't seen the sector dial at my AD, would be interesting to see.
Old 31 October 2013, 07:53 PM   #30
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
There really are so many right choices when it comes to picking a Patek. However from my experience whichever you fall for and you chose would probably be the best.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote