The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 May 2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Beauty is such a subjective / personal opinion

What is beautiful ?
I know I stare at pictures of watches I lust after. I have screen shots of all my favorite hopeful acquisitions and I waste a lot of time wishing on them. The appreciation phase of wanting one, building and building until it becomes a possibility to own one.

I've spent a lot of time questioning myself, as to which one is better. Which one is the most versatile - often a very important factor... But also which one is most beautiful? And then, why is it? It just got me thinking...

Symmetry I suppose is recognized to to be an important factor of recognition of beauty within the human face or body... (Think the 5712 breaks this assumption)

However we do know what in terms of human attraction is deemed to be beautiful changes, over time and within different cultures... (The styles of genta maybe did save the market in the 70's, but caused a very divided reaction both then, and now)

I Like films very much and have often remembered lines that resonated with me, a couple of musings ive held on to are-

There's an Italian painter, named Carlotti, and he defined beauty. He said it was the summation of the parts working together in such a way that nothing needed to be added, taken away or altered.

And more light hearted perhaps-

In the tradition of humorous pseudounits, then, if Helen of troy was so beautiful that her face could launch a thousand ships, 1 millihelen is the amount of beauty needed to launch a single ship.

Just thought I'd share that...

And this, I think one of the best pictures ive stumbled across online of my latest infatuation

Forgive the indulgence, I was just bored
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rps20180530_144109.jpg (142.9 KB, 185 views)
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 09:06 PM   #2
robain
"TRF" Member

Stunning picture of an exquisite timepiece!
robain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 10:01 PM   #3
sam3536
"TRF" Member

That is a beautiful patek.
Beauty is subjective.
The problem I think is in getting used to seeing something so much that we stop noticing the beauty in it.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
sam3536 is offline   Reply With Quote