The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 March 2019, 10:22 PM   #1
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Price of SS Daytona Post Basel

DavidSW has BNIB White SS Daytona lister at $24,975; think this actually executes at this price / how much longer is this sustainable...
Old 23 March 2019, 10:29 PM   #2
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
My sense of it is the watch dealers recognize that a recessionary period is coming with demand on luxury goods to contract. They want to maximize profit while they can. That’s all this is.
Old 23 March 2019, 10:32 PM   #3
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

This will blow your mind

USD33000 asking price.

There’s enough insanely rich people in Mayfair that they might get it too.
Old 23 March 2019, 10:34 PM   #4
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaballero View Post
My sense of it is the watch dealers recognize that a recessionary period is coming with demand on luxury goods to contract. They want to maximize profit while they can. That’s all this is.

Am not sure that these need to happen together.
Even if there was a global recession - which may not happen for a while and is purely cyclical if it did, the demand for luxury goods wouldn’t necessarily abate.
There are sufficient newly middle class consumers to maintain demand - especially if we are talking about Rolex where they “only” need to sell c.1m watches a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2019, 10:36 PM   #5
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

They can ask all they want. Greys are just trying to drive prices up creating an artificial bubble. Love to know where davidsw gets all his stickers watches from???
Old 23 March 2019, 10:39 PM   #6
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Even if there was a global recession - which may not happen for a while and is purely cyclical if it did, the demand for luxury goods wouldn’t necessarily abate.
There are sufficient newly middle class consumers to maintain demand - especially if we are talking about Rolex where they “only” need to sell c.1m watches a year.

Luxury goods always take a hit in recessionary periods. Nevertheless, the secondary market is basically creating for the Daytona the same market conditions that exist for the nautilus 5711. Expect the Daytona to hit $30k by end of year.
Old 23 March 2019, 10:41 PM   #7
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Just because that is the price online - doesn’t mean that is what people pay....Trusted Sellers make deals as well....

My .02

Old 23 March 2019, 10:50 PM   #8
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Everything is worth what people are willing to pay for it. If enough people are paying those prices for Daytonas without those Daytonas staying in possession of greys too long, they are worth it. Now you might not be one of those people, but that doesn't matter.
Old 23 March 2019, 10:51 PM   #9
peterpl
Banned

I can list one for $50k right now. Doesnt mean a thing.
Old 23 March 2019, 10:58 PM   #10
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
David sold a chrono aquanaut for $80k. If he's listing for that, he'll get it.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:00 PM   #11
ericisback
Banned

FWIW, I purchased a new 116520 from DavidSW and never looked back. You just have to decide if you have more time or money. I enjoy my watch every day. To each his own.

I do think it’s interesting that people get hung up on a MSRP. That number is as arbitrary as the price DavidSW decides to charge. Anyone who knows watches understands a GS is a better made watch than Rolex, at 2/3 the price; however, people pay Rolex’s premium for reasons that are their own. Heck, some people think I’m crazy for wearing a mechanical watch at all. I don’t worry much about the opinions of others.

Good luck to all!
Old 23 March 2019, 11:00 PM   #12
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Adding new watches “disperses” interest among more options!
This year with non new introductions, the already existing models become in more demand! So it’s logical for grey market to increase prices!
It’s a simple supply and demand equation
Old 23 March 2019, 11:04 PM   #13
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

David is a market maker for these watches. He’s listing at prices that sell. For instance, the grey market price of the new SS Pepsi has been pretty much stable for past few months but Daytona keeps going up. FWIW I think Daytona is getting different analysis than rest of SS models.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:15 PM   #14
ericisback
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post

Although Rolex is a blue collar luxury watch, and usually a recession would hurt makers in this category, Rolex is an exception, because of its brand. Omega, Panerai, Swatch, and even JLC and Zenith DO need to worry. Patek, an VC are protected too, because of their buyers - Bugatti doesn’t need to worry about recessions.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:23 PM   #15
Dana1
Banned

Purchasing this watch online can be very expensive, I know too well that cutting a deal person to person would actually be alot less expensive. However, whether the price is way too high above the bearable maximum or not. Watches must be sold to be worn and am certain the very rich guys could get it.

Sent from my M5 mini using Tapatalk
Old 23 March 2019, 11:25 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sounds reasonable to me
Old 23 March 2019, 11:30 PM   #17
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Just because you ask a price you do not necessarily get it. Our TS will walk prices up, as we have seen, and when they hit the ceiling then they will adjust back down. David will sell that watch and maybe for what he is asking, but that is not the broader market. If it does not sell he will not reduce the price on his web page he will pull the listing, show the watch in the store for sometime and then relist at a lower price. That way we sit here and say things like he sold a watch at so and so. When we do not know and he could still have the watch. If you look at some of the Trusted Sellers inventory posted on-line you will see a significant reduction of watches listed and a real reduction in less popular brands like Panerai, Zenith, JLC, Omega. The Trusted Sellers are getting ready for the bubble bursting by positioning the inventory they hold. Check it out.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:32 PM   #18
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’m a little baffled at the continuing rise in Daytona prices. Anecdotally deliveries to AD’s and customers continue regularly. Lots of incomings here in the last couple of months and my SA told me just Thursday that they have been getting a good supply also, enough to make my projected delivery move up.
Maybe the mere fact that others are getting them through normal channels is enough to make people covet them more.
Old 23 March 2019, 11:32 PM   #19
simbal
"TRF" Member

economics 101, supply and demand at its best!
Old 23 March 2019, 11:34 PM   #20
KenU
"TRF" Member

Watch: u gonna do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGRLX View Post
They can ask all they want. Greys are just trying to drive prices up creating an artificial bubble. Love to know where davidsw gets all his stickers watches from???
So would Rolex ...
Old 23 March 2019, 11:37 PM   #21
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Adding new watches “disperses” interest among more options!
This year with non new introductions, the already existing models become in more demand! So it’s logical for grey market to increase prices!
It’s a simple supply and demand equation
This was my thought as well. With no hot new stainless watch this year, demand stays concentrated in the current models and further drives their price up.
Old 24 March 2019, 12:20 AM   #22
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
SS Daytona at Grey vs 116519LN with black diamond dial at AD ?

I will go the AD route.
Old 24 March 2019, 12:30 AM   #23
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Just because that is the price online - doesn’t mean that is what people pay....Trusted Sellers make deals as well....

My .02

For what it’s worth I have contacted all the major “trusted sellers” that are common on this site an none have been willing to negotiate on price. This is before the craziness started when I was looking for my 16600, 16710, and 116610...

Everyone says, just because it’s listed at this price doesn’t mean someone is buying it, well they sure aren’t giving me any deals. Maybe you have to be a VIP with the “trusted sellers”... I think what happens more often than not is a piece is listed...it’s up for a couple days marked as sold (never really was) to give the illusion it’s being sold at that price and then re-listed at the exact same price, again making it look like they are selling at those prices. I’m sure there are people buying at those prices and extra 10K to those buyers. Games and more games.. Not saying all do this but I believe it happens. Just like the chrono24 sellers listing a piece...you call and magically it just sold...
Old 24 March 2019, 12:30 AM   #24
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
One less stainless ateel watch on the market... doesnt surprise me
Old 24 March 2019, 01:46 AM   #25
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbal View Post
economics 101, supply and demand at its best!
Economics 102, there's always a big fish in the ocean.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Old 24 March 2019, 01:49 AM   #26
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Ridiculous. I’ll be interested to see where he prices his next 116519LN WG Daytona. I wouldn’t be surprised it it’s over $30k.
Old 24 March 2019, 01:49 AM   #27
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
24k isn’t much for Patek and AP buyers, don’t worry.
Old 24 March 2019, 02:04 AM   #28
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
While we can cyclically expect global recessions and bubbles to occur I think lots of people are forgetting one main thing... the global economy is not under the same duress as it was 10 years ago.

Just look around at all of us. What do you think the percentage of individuals here are over extending to buy a watch? Perhaps a few percent? ... Many of us can weather the storm as we bought the watch to enjoy and wear with not a significant amount of financial stress (well at least I hope so).

Nothing says we have to sell or need to sell to pay the bills. I think many who are financially capable of buying these watches this time around is not over extending. If you are, I seriously pray for you...

I also think financial institutions are also not blind as they were before lending money out to anyone who “might” be able to spell their name in the 2000s. And a lot of that happened to be in the US. Canada (my home) was affected like many other nations but frankly quiet resilient. Real estate prices for example flattened and minimally readjusted in Vancouver but not a bombshell of a crash.

It’s different times. Seriously hope people have gotten smarter with their money. It basically comes down to that. Buy within your means! You dictate your bubble and more people do so, I don’t think pricing would differ too significantly.
Old 24 March 2019, 02:11 AM   #29
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
24k isn’t much for Patek and AP buyers, don’t worry.
x1
Old 24 March 2019, 02:19 AM   #30
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Or for people paying 4K a month for a one bedroom here in SF.
Closed Thread