The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2019, 12:29 AM   #1
RoadToOblivion
"TRF" Member

Canada - Buying Rolex Submariner (new) - Revisited

Hey guys! First thread for me.. however I've been spending a lot of time on this forum for a while now! Love this great community!

Here's my story: I live in Montreal and a couple of months ago I decided I was ready to save up and buy my first Rolex! The sub always spoke to me and more specifically the 116610LN!!

But DAMN is that beauty hard to find... I mean I knew from the start about the Rolex dry spell and all that but I thought hell I'll try all the ADs in Montreal and it's surroundings and I should at least find someone who can help me! Long story short I ended up trying some ADs in New Brunswick.... NOTHING! The only help I got was the AD in Quebec City who agreed to put me on a waiting list... but that's it!

Anyways so my question to you: How should I go about doing this? Are you all having the same issues as I am? Any help/insight relevant to Canadian rolex buyers would be greatly appreciated! I'm willing to drive up to 10 hours from Montreal to make it happen.. more would be too much.... Also I wouldn't go to the US.. with the exchange rate and all that.....
RoadToOblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:44 AM   #2
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I would just pull the trigger from a trusted seller like DavidSW. The current premium isn’t too bad after taxes, etc.

I also think the submariner demand is going to get much hotter now that the black GMT was discountinued.
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:48 AM   #3
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

Shouldn't be too long of a wait for a Sub. AD's do get them regularly. Just need to patient if you don't want to pay the grey premium. A large AD in Toronto gets about one per week.
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:55 AM   #4
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
I would just pull the trigger from a trusted seller like DavidSW. The current premium isn’t too bad after taxes, etc.

I also think the submariner demand is going to get much hotter now that the black GMT was discountinued.
Living in Quebec he has to add 20% on top of the price when it crosses the border if it's properly declared.

Price in QC is $9,832.50 CAD including taxes or $7,320 USD.

Buying from DSW would be a heck of a lot more with an additional 20% tacked on top. Nothing against DSW, but just getting a little tired of seeing the same generic advice on the boards that is not one-size-fits-all especially when people live outside of the US (*gasp* there are members on TRF who live outside of the US.)

OP, call around and get on a few lists. They're attainable with a short wait in most of the country.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 12:58 AM   #5
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Talk to some ADs about putting a fully refundable deposit. Money speaks. It may help you get on e faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:08 AM   #6
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Living in Quebec he has to add 20% on top of the price when it crosses the border if it's properly declared.

Price in QC is $9,832.50 CAD including taxes or $7,320 USD.

Buying from DSW would be a heck of a lot more with an additional 20% tacked on top. Nothing against DSW, but just getting a little tired of seeing the same generic advice on the boards that is not one-size-fits-all especially when people live outside of the US (*gasp* there are members on TRF who live outside of the US.)

OP, call around and get on a few lists. They're attainable with a short wait in most of the country.
Exactly this. Buying from DavidSW would still give the OP an unfavorable exchange rate.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:10 AM   #7
RoadToOblivion
"TRF" Member

Thanks a lot guys for the quick replies!!
So for my first rolex I wanted to buy from an AD..
as for waiting lists all the ADs I called either gave me a story abt regulars not even being able to get theirs since beginning 2018 or said they didn t do lists anymore.. the only one i got on was the one in quebec city.. :(
Old 26 March 2019, 01:14 AM   #8
SilverKast
"TRF" Member

Watch: always one more...
Avoid paying US at all costs if you're a Cdn resident, unless you're absolutely desperate and just have to have it. Exchange is killer right now - even comparing USD MSRP to Cdn MSRP it's less expensive in Canada, before accounting for any sales taxes as well.

Your best bet is a waiting list at an AD, unless you find a reseller that's here in Canada and you can maybe get a decent price on a second hand piece - but that's doubtful because you can sell in USD and get a better return if your Canadian.

I just added myself to a waitlist here in Calgary and it took 7 months before I got my Sub. You can get it, it's just a matter of a little wait. It's well worth the wait though from a financial perspective.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:22 AM   #9
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
I spoke to a couple of folks who got theirs from ADs in Vancouver this year. Fastest was about 4 weeks; slowest about 3 months- so not impossible. Most do take lists (except the boutique) - and Vancouver has really bad access to new stock; especially as we now head into tourist and cruise ship season- so I imagine you should be able to find one in Montreal, or GTA that would at the very least put you on a list.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:33 AM   #10
RoadToOblivion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azs.77 View Post
Talk to some ADs about putting a fully refundable deposit. Money speaks. It may help you get on e faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea I ll try that with the Montreal ADs and maybe the one in Ottawa!!
Old 26 March 2019, 02:00 AM   #11
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
For a Sub in Canada, a little bit of patience should land you the watch in a timely matter. You've saved up to make the purchase and spent time doing that, what's a little bit more of a wait to get your name on the papers for your first Rolex. Some ADs can produce a watch within a month and others may take up to 6. But all within a respectable amount of time (in today's market).

I won't realistically consider paying a premium unless it was a BLRO and Daytona.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 02:10 AM   #12
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

You can try to get yourself on a list at Chateau d'ivoire and Birks (visiting in person is your best bet), a black sub is more realistically attainable to get then the GMTs or Hulk, but whether they actually make calls off that list is a different story. Cahteau is likely your best bet as I feel Birks tends to sell to their repeat clients who buy jewelry or PM watches

I managed to get a BLNR within a couple weeks from Chateau a couple years ago (they were hot back then too, but not like now), been trying to get another GMT or hulk since with no success, though I email my rep once in awhile to keep my name fresh with her
Old 26 March 2019, 04:31 AM   #13
RoadToOblivion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronMTL View Post
You can try to get yourself on a list at Chateau d'ivoire and Birks (visiting in person is your best bet), a black sub is more realistically attainable to get then the GMTs or Hulk, but whether they actually make calls off that list is a different story. Cahteau is likely your best bet as I feel Birks tends to sell to their repeat clients who buy jewelry or PM watches

I managed to get a BLNR within a couple weeks from Chateau a couple years ago (they were hot back then too, but not like now), been trying to get another GMT or hulk since with no success, though I email my rep once in awhile to keep my name fresh with her
It was Chateau who gave me the (bullshit?) story about the regular who s been waiting for his sub since beg 2018.. I'll try maybe offering a refundable down-payment and see where it goes!
Old 26 March 2019, 04:52 AM   #14
pgasparro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500Blue&26470IO
I would contact Tourneau Time Machine on 57th St in NYC

Called on a Tuesday asking about Submariner Dates that were available, and was told by a really helpful SA that they receive watches between 11am-12pm on Friday's. Was told to call back Friday between that hour.

Called Friday at 11:02, they said they had one and agreed to hold it for me, showed up at about 12 and out by 12:30.. for retail.

I would NOT purchase a Sub from a gray dealer unless you are paying under MSRP+Tax. I really don't think they are as difficult to locate as it may seem.

I should add, I have never purchased a watch from Tourneau prior.
pgasparro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:07 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’d want to go the AD route as well, especially for my first.

I’d visit the AD that feels most welcoming to you and get to know the staff. Drop by every so often and talk watches and get to know them. I bet they land you a Submariner Date sooner than later.

You could always try CANWATCHCO.CA for gray and private sellers in Canada.

Good luck
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:21 AM   #16
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgasparro View Post
I would contact Tourneau Time Machine on 57th St in NYC

Called on a Tuesday asking about Submariner Dates that were available, and was told by a really helpful SA that they receive watches between 11am-12pm on Friday's. Was told to call back Friday between that hour.

Called Friday at 11:02, they said they had one and agreed to hold it for me, showed up at about 12 and out by 12:30.. for retail.

I would NOT purchase a Sub from a gray dealer unless you are paying under MSRP+Tax. I really don't think they are as difficult to locate as it may seem.

I should add, I have never purchased a watch from Tourneau prior.
How is this helpful to someone who lives in Montreal?
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:22 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
How is this helpful to someone who lives in Montreal?
Isn’t it near NY?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:40 AM   #18
snowvapor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
From Montreal here.

I'm assuming you already tried at La bijouterie Italienne on St-Zotique ? I find their service better than Chateau d'Ivoire. More personalized service over there, they don't judge you on your appearance.

I went in to fix my bracelet over at La bijouterie Italienne, offered me coffee, smiled at me, offered me to try out some watches while I waited (not a huge selection of Rolex, but they have Tudor as well). All of this and I was wearing track pants and a hoodie.

Chateau d'Ivoire looked right through me.

I think your best bet would be to go to La Bijouterie Italienne on a regular basis, try to go at the same time as your favorite salesperson and build from there.

It's all on in the hunt :)

Good luck

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
snowvapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:46 AM   #19
Hibbyx
Banned

Watch: Bluesy, Seadweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAdian View Post
I spoke to a couple of folks who got theirs from ADs in Vancouver this year. Fastest was about 4 weeks; slowest about 3 months- so not impossible. Most do take lists (except the boutique) - and Vancouver has really bad access to new stock; especially as we now head into tourist and cruise ship season- so I imagine you should be able to find one in Montreal, or GTA that would at the very least put you on a list.
Ha ha I'm going to Vancouver to get a cruse in May, no need to take my credit card then
Hibbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:57 AM   #20
TR6
"TRF" Member

Watch: me do this
I may have just been lucky, but I did not find getting a Submariner in Toronto difficult. I bought one that was in the display case of the second shop I went to, and the first shop I'd visited called me to say they had one for me a week about after I'd visited.
TR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 06:52 AM   #21
RoadToOblivion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR6 View Post
I may have just been lucky, but I did not find getting a Submariner in Toronto difficult. I bought one that was in the display case of the second shop I went to, and the first shop I'd visited called me to say they had one for me a week about after I'd visited.
When was that??
Old 26 March 2019, 07:04 AM   #22
TR6
"TRF" Member

Watch: me do this
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToOblivion View Post
When was that??
November, 2018.
TR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:06 AM   #23
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowvapor View Post
From Montreal here.

I'm assuming you already tried at La bijouterie Italienne on St-Zotique ? I find their service better than Chateau d'Ivoire. More personalized service over there, they don't judge you on your appearance.

I went in to fix my bracelet over at La bijouterie Italienne, offered me coffee, smiled at me, offered me to try out some watches while I waited (not a huge selection of Rolex, but they have Tudor as well). All of this and I was wearing track pants and a hoodie.

I think your best bet would be to go to La Bijouterie Italienne on a regular basis, try to go at the same time as your favorite salesperson and build from there.

Good luck

I second this, also from Montreal here. Are you open to buying used or from a grey dealer? we have Canadian ones too you know. Check canwatchco
Old 26 March 2019, 07:10 AM   #24
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Get on list and wait is the best approach if you want one. Paying a premium makes no sense to me at all.
Old 26 March 2019, 07:15 AM   #25
VanAdian
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSOTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbyx View Post
Ha ha I'm going to Vancouver to get a cruse in May, no need to take my credit card then

Unfortunately it’s pretty arid for Rolex stock here already; come cruise ship season a datejust a may be hard to find. Interestingly all the downtown ADs told me to stop by again in the first week of May- take that as you will, but maybe they are expecting stock .
The omega boutique is always stocked; otherwise the weather has been beautiful....

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - B. Russell
VanAdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 07:20 AM   #26
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was Chateau who gave me the (bullshit?) story about the regular who s been waiting for his sub since beg 2018.. I'll try maybe offering a refundable down-payment and see where it goes!
Try to speak to one of the girls there, Rachel is awesome....she has alot more patience and was willing to work with me back when i got the BLNR as opposed to the guys i spoke to there few days before who seemed very dismissive and made it feel like i was bothering them on my inquiry (at the time i knew nothing about rolexes and the difficulties of obtaining certain steel models)
Old 26 March 2019, 10:10 PM   #27
RoadToOblivion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsking View Post
I second this, also from Montreal here. Are you open to buying used or from a grey dealer? we have Canadian ones too you know. Check canwatchco
Not for my first Rolex watch no.. I want my first Rolex to come from an AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronMTL View Post
Try to speak to one of the girls there, Rachel is awesome....she has alot more patience and was willing to work with me back when i got the BLNR as opposed to the guys i spoke to there few days before who seemed very dismissive and made it feel like i was bothering them on my inquiry (at the time i knew nothing about rolexes and the difficulties of obtaining certain steel models)
Thanks for the advice I'll try her next time I'm around there!!
Old 26 March 2019, 10:44 PM   #28
LuxLemon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Hey guys! First thread for me.. however I've been spending a lot of time on this forum for a while now! Love this great community!

Here's my story: I live in Montreal and a couple of months ago I decided I was ready to save up and buy my first Rolex! The sub always spoke to me and more specifically the 116610LN!!

But DAMN is that beauty hard to find... I mean I knew from the start about the Rolex dry spell and all that but I thought hell I'll try all the ADs in Montreal and it's surroundings and I should at least find someone who can help me! Long story short I ended up trying some ADs in New Brunswick.... NOTHING! The only help I got was the AD in Quebec City who agreed to put me on a waiting list... but that's it!

Anyways so my question to you: How should I go about doing this? Are you all having the same issues as I am? Any help/insight relevant to Canadian rolex buyers would be greatly appreciated! I'm willing to drive up to 10 hours from Montreal to make it happen.. more would be too much.... Also I wouldn't go to the US.. with the exchange rate and all that.....
Do you know anyone with a purchase history at an AD? See if they can go into the store with you and refer you to their contact.
LuxLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 01:04 AM   #29
RoadToOblivion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxLemon View Post
Do you know anyone with a purchase history at an AD? See if they can go into the store with you and refer you to their contact.
Not really.. I have a friend with a long history of buying from a specific AD but he doesn't live in Canada anymore :(
Old 27 March 2019, 03:30 AM   #30
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowvapor View Post
From Montreal here.

Good luck

Another vote for Bijouterie Italienne.

Just by curiosity what’s the AD in Quebec City? I didn’t know there was one…