The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 July 2018, 08:10 PM   #1
Currywurst
"TRF" Member

JLC Polaris Chronograph - Guidance Required

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum.. I have been a silent reader..

I am close to pulling the plug on the JLC Polaris Chronograph Blue Dial with Leather strap. I am now at the stage where the AD says 20% off retail is the maximum they would do..

Also the feedback from folks in forums not the most positive.. regarding the dial.. rough and smooth finishes.. movement being "small" or not the latest etc.. my knowledge is limited on these aspects.. Hence looking for guidance from TRF experts..

I am hoping for advice on should i move forward.. or haggle more since its at 20%.. Also could folks indicate potential other options from Omega and Panerai that i should be considering..

Not considering Rolex since i already have an Airking 34MM and Datajust II

Cheers
Currywurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 09:45 PM   #2
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I am not familiar with the mechanical details, but I tried on a different version of the Polaris and I found it very attractive. 20% is a good discount. I currently own one JLC, have owned three others in the past, I have only positive experiences with them. They look good and perform well.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 09:50 PM   #3
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

There are a million versions of the Omega Speedmaster. The basic ones are far less expensive than the Polaris. I own the traditional basic one for about ten years. It is a classic and a darling of watch collectors.
Old 2 July 2018, 10:57 PM   #4
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
20% off for a new piece from an AD is a great discount... specially for a piece that was just released this year. The smooth and rough dial finish is the intended design, so it's subjective... I personally think it's very attractive from pic's but I haven't seen in real life. I haven't heard anything about the movement, please provide details of the concern.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 11:32 PM   #5
Currywurst
"TRF" Member

Thank You Scarlet Night and JJ for the quick feedback.. The reason for me to go for the JLC is to move up the chain.. and from daily wear perspective Polaris Chrono strikes all the right cords.. I really do like the Blue Dial..

Just reading a few comments on other forums gave me caution(many are subjective like you say on looks etc.., movement size being small - not sure what that means) hence wanted to get inputs from expert watch enthusiast's like yourselves..

I am glad to hear that 20% is a bargain for a new release.. Another query.. Is comparing the JLC Chrono with a Panerai PAM01359 fair.. Since that was the other piece i had shortlisted.. Or do folks here consider JLC a league above and are there concern's over Panerai in terms of Brand value over recent past..

I dont own a Speedmaster yet.. Certainly want to add that to the stable in time..

Looking forward to more views..
Old 3 July 2018, 11:30 AM   #6
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currywurst View Post
Thank You Scarlet Night and JJ for the quick feedback.. The reason for me to go for the JLC is to move up the chain.. and from daily wear perspective Polaris Chrono strikes all the right cords.. I really do like the Blue Dial..

Just reading a few comments on other forums gave me caution(many are subjective like you say on looks etc.., movement size being small - not sure what that means) hence wanted to get inputs from expert watch enthusiast's like yourselves..

I am glad to hear that 20% is a bargain for a new release.. Another query.. Is comparing the JLC Chrono with a Panerai PAM01359 fair.. Since that was the other piece i had shortlisted.. Or do folks here consider JLC a league above and are there concern's over Panerai in terms of Brand value over recent past..

I dont own a Speedmaster yet.. Certainly want to add that to the stable in time..

Generally speaking, when people say the movement is too small it means they used an existing movement that was architected for a smaller case, so they have to use spacers to fill the case void. It also causes the date aperture to be closer to the center. It's a way of saying the manufacturer was lazy. This does seem to be the case when you look at the back notice the steel ring/spacer between the sapphire case back and the rotor. Howeve, this does not hurt or ignore the quality of the movement...

This place likes Panerai just fine and I think there's a sub-forum. I've just never been a huge fan due to there typical size. I do favor JLC since they are known as a solid movement manufacturer which has supplied some of the top brands such as AP, VC.

Also, you may want to check this Blancpain out - https://www.blancpain.com/en/watch/5000-0240-o52a
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 09:54 PM   #7
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Here's the thing, you can buy a watch because it is a 'good value' or will retain value well or blah blah blah but, in my experience, that is the most expensive way to buy a watch because you (read, me) end up selling it versus buying a watch because you love it. Don't buy a watch for the wrong reason. Whichever the Pan or JLC 'sings' to you the most is the one to get and forget the rest.

Please, keep in mind that us watch folk obsess over the smallest detail that most people would miss - like the movement being on the small side for the case or radial flip or short hands or nibbled numbers or whatever. If you didn't see and it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it.

Both are solid choices in my eyes so try them on and get the one that makes you smile the most!

Good luck and please share a photo of your new watch when the time comes!

-Paul
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 11:22 PM   #8
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
What Paul said. And you can get a 20% discount on almost all SS JLCs. Up to 30% on PM.
Old 8 July 2018, 12:53 PM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I'd get the JLC if I were you. Don't worry about what other people think of it. It's a great watch with a solid movement.

Regarding the movement size - it makes sense for a manufacture to make a movement on the smaller side so it can be fit into the maximum amount of case sizes. If you crack open any 42mm sport watch the movement will look too small. Hell, look at the back of an AP 44mm Offshore, those things look ridiculous but we all love them (including me).
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2018, 09:23 PM   #10
Currywurst
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the inputs..

I just got a call from the AD.. Its been about a week since I made the full payment.. I am being told that they have got a recall note from JLC on all Polaris watches worldwide related to Gasket replacement..

I am flabbergasted and concerned now that even before I get the watch it is going back to the company for a fix..

May i ask if anyone had heard about this recall on the Polaris Chronograph.. The AD says it worldwide.. I am not fully convinced.. no way to confirm as there is no news article or blog related to such a news..

What should i be doing.. wait and go for the same watch knowing there is a manufacturing issues.. that JLC will fix.. or look at other options..

Lead time is also significant.. 20+ Days..

Cheers
Old 24 July 2018, 12:20 AM   #11
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

If you want the watch it shouldnt be a problem to wait! Also the 20% off on a new watch is also really good deal.

What I dont understand is why you should pay upfront for a watch you dont have...

I really like the Polaris Date, also tried it on at an AD! Think its very nice and maybe for me a future watch.
AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2018, 03:19 PM   #12
Currywurst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVDB View Post
If you want the watch it shouldnt be a problem to wait! Also the 20% off on a new watch is also really good deal.

What I dont understand is why you should pay upfront for a watch you dont have...

I really like the Polaris Date, also tried it on at an AD! Think its very nice and maybe for me a future watch.
I saw the watch in person last week and the proceeded to make the payment the next day.. I planned on picking it up this week.. and thats when i get the AD call on the recall from JLC.. Should i be asking for a fresh piece from AD and not the one I was about to take delivery..
Old 31 July 2018, 08:48 PM   #13
Currywurst
"TRF" Member

Thanks Everyone for the comments.. The AD has finally sourced another piece from the brand.. Its a Black Dial instead of the Blue.. I hope the Black will look Grand.. Will post pictures as soon as I have it in hand..

Cheers
Old 31 July 2018, 09:41 PM   #14
AAVDB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Everyone for the comments.. The AD has finally sourced another piece from the brand.. Its a Black Dial instead of the Blue.. I hope the Black will look Grand.. Will post pictures as soon as I have it in hand..

Cheers
Sorry did not see your previous reply!

However awesome! Looking forward to some pictures. I like the black dial a lot!
AAVDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2018, 03:22 AM   #15
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
JLC will not let you down if you buy from an AD and need service. When it comes to taking your watch in, being nice, etc, they are top notch. However, JLC is not without faults when it actually comes to making watches or making repairs. Check out JLC forum on Timezone and you'll see some stories.

Consider the fact that you put a payment on a blue dial watch and you get a black one. You won't be out of place asking for a bigger discount.
Old 2 August 2018, 12:37 AM   #16
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex

I prefer the Polaris no date automatique with brown strap (right in the picture).

Clean dial, qdouble brown for the inner bezel and time adjustments. Black Dial as I find the blue dial a bit funky for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 07:42 PM   #17
Currywurst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
JLC will not let you down if you buy from an AD and need service. When it comes to taking your watch in, being nice, etc, they are top notch. However, JLC is not without faults when it actually comes to making watches or making repairs. Check out JLC forum on Timezone and you'll see some stories.

Consider the fact that you put a payment on a blue dial watch and you get a black one. You won't be out of place asking for a bigger discount.
Unfortunately.. Since I paid in full already 2 weeks back.. The negotiating position is lost as the money is now with them.. and their viewpoint is that we can give you the Blue Chrono as well.. Provided you can wait a little longer for new stock to arrive.. I dont know why but at-least here the AD is marketing the Polaris range as Boutique addition watches so 20% off retail. buy it or leave it was the case before i made the payment

Agree on issues with JLC Watches.. Even before the Polaris Chrono is in hand it was recalled.. for Gasket replacement.. and I just happen to read recently about water resistance and scratches on a new Polaris here in TRF.. Just invested too much emotionally now to make a change.. Hoping for the Best!
Old 2 August 2018, 11:23 PM   #18
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
20% off for a new piece from an AD is a great discount... specially for a piece that was just released this year. The smooth and rough dial finish is the intended design, so it's subjective... I personally think it's very attractive from pic's but I haven't seen in real life. I haven't heard anything about the movement, please provide details of the concern.
In a way 20% is a very good discount, but like most watches once bought its value will go down around 40%, maybe more around 50% used, not sure, so this is the kind of watch I would buy from grey new, it should be cheaper, around 30%, or wait a little and buy used, I think you should find a mint one for 40% off in one year. Of course if you are sure you will keep it then 20% is good enough, I like only new watches so used is not for me, but on watches with poor resale I try to get through grey dealers as it is usually more interesting, I get through AD if I want to build a relationship with the AD.

What I don't get is that you put a discount for a blue dial and he is proposing a black dial??? DOn't settle, if you want the blue dial get the blue dial, at those prices you should get first choice, not second...

About JLC being above Panerai horologically without any question, the only thing is that Panerai might have better resale on some models, unfortunately JLC does poorly on many models resale wise, not important if you keep the watch forever, but not always the case
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 02:53 AM   #19
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Is the recall specific to the Polaris Chronographs or the whole Polaris line?

Quote:
Thanks for all the inputs..

I just got a call from the AD.. Its been about a week since I made the full payment.. I am being told that they have got a recall note from JLC on all Polaris watches worldwide related to Gasket replacement..

I am flabbergasted and concerned now that even before I get the watch it is going back to the company for a fix..

May i ask if anyone had heard about this recall on the Polaris Chronograph.. The AD says it worldwide.. I am not fully convinced.. no way to confirm as there is no news article or blog related to such a news..

What should i be doing.. wait and go for the same watch knowing there is a manufacturing issues.. that JLC will fix.. or look at other options..

Lead time is also significant.. 20+ Days..

Cheers
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2018, 12:47 PM   #20
Currywurst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
Is the recall specific to the Polaris Chronographs or the whole Polaris line?
According to the AD it is limited to the Polaris Chrono.. produced during a certain period and series.. Just got the Watch.. Will post some pics soon..
Old 6 August 2018, 02:25 AM   #21
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I am considering the Polaris world time. Would like to see in person first
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 02:38 AM   #22
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Older GMTs & Subs
My understanding is the recall or "enhancement" applies to most if not all new Polaris. I was told by the local AD JLC developed a new seal and will be installing it on all Polaris models moving forward. For those already issued, it's considered an enhancement and JLC offers an extra year of warranty.
Jinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2018, 02:43 AM   #23
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

I should also add I've owned several JLC watches and they are quality products. I've experienced excellent customer service so I wouldn't let this "recall" be a deterrent if you like the watch.
Old 10 August 2018, 07:53 PM   #24
Currywurst
"TRF" Member

Finally.. Some Pictures.. Phone shots.. Looks way better in Hand!!!

My First Jaeger-LeCoultre.. Looking forward To Good Times and Many Years Together..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6D43DD1E-1446-47BE-8CF8-D7415F3EBA2C.jpeg (265.3 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpeg 289F19A0-0F90-4211-9047-44EFCA4DA710.jpeg (266.8 KB, 191 views)
Old 10 August 2018, 08:00 PM   #25
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
There are a million versions of the Omega Speedmaster. The basic ones are far less expensive than the Polaris. I own the traditional basic one for about ten years. It is a classic and a darling of watch collectors.
No there are not.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2018, 09:19 PM   #26
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Looks great. Congratulations.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 12:04 AM   #27
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Like the whole Polaris range!
Old 11 August 2018, 06:07 AM   #28
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Beautiful JLC! congrats
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2018, 07:31 AM   #29
Jinson
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations ... great looking!
Old 11 August 2018, 10:24 AM   #30
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
No there are not.
I have the classic Moon watch with hesalite. There is a version with a sapphire sandwich. Dark side of the moon. Snoopy. Etc.

The Omega site shows 44 variations of Speedmaster currently available. Many more that are not in current production.

I guess that I don’t understand your point. Perhaps I used hyperbole, but there are a lot of versions of the Speedmaster. Which is fine with me, many choices for the consumers.