The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2021, 11:58 PM   #1
Armis
"TRF" Member

Your 5738p Golden Ellipse experiences and opinions

I’ve been interested in the Golden Ellipse for some time, but always had other pieces in the pipeline that I (and funds) were focused on. Looking at it now, I was a little surprised at the cost of a new one from the AD, although I realize there must be nuances of the movement and dial that justify the cost. But I also noted grey prices that are notably lower for new/unworn pieces. The main reason for buying from AD is only to grow the relationship, for potential future pieces that are hard to get. I don’t know how the 5738p price has changed over the years, but I am curious to hear the opinions of the forum members who have also been entertaining an interest in the 5738p, if anyone?

I’d also like to hear from any current owners as well, and whether they wear that piece as often as they expected or not. I personally see it as elegant but also very versatile such that it works with jeans and t-shirt, but is that really other people’s experience?

Thank you all for your thoughts on this iconic piece.
Armis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 12:21 AM   #2
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

The 5738 is nigh unselleable at current MSRP. If you do get it from an AD without discounts you should be able to get a significant bundle with it.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 12:38 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I can’t recall seeing any posts of GE owners here.

Interesting tale of the golden ratio but appears to have a very narrow appreciation.

The last update larger case and blue dial is significantly nicer imho than previous versions.

Regarding case and movement finishing, why do you think it will be different than other offerings?
Old 11 July 2021, 01:23 AM   #4
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

There is a forum member who owns a 3738G blue dial. It is a nice looking watch, but has been discontinued over 10 years ago. The 5738P is a nice watch and I have tried it on at ADs a couple of times. It's been in the Patek catalog for 10+ years, so not a new watch, but also not produced in high numbers. I would say an average size AD gets one every few years. It is a pricy watch for a simple two-handed watch, although it is a platinum piece.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 06:12 PM   #5
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
The 5738 is nigh unselleable at current MSRP. If you do get it from an AD without discounts you should be able to get a significant bundle with it.
You bring up an important point that has been going through my mind, which is whether buying this from my AD (with whom I have a longstanding relationship) would put me in position to get allocated a green 5711?? Yes, I know it sounds bold, but again I have a good buying history from them including the usual suspects ie Nautilus, Aquanaut, and non-Patek pieces. Actually, I did ask my SA if there’s any discount I can get on the GE, but he replied that’s there’s no discounts on any Pateks these days…which did surprise me for this piece. So then I asked if buying this would put me in position to get green 5711, and he said “it couldn’t hurt.”

So I don’t know what to make of that last statement, but i know there’s no guarantees. My SA has always been straightforward with me, and has got me great pieces over the years. So i’d like to think he can get me a green Nautilus, but as I read more about its exclusivity the more I realize it can’t happen. In such case, I should not buy new at such a price.
Thank you so much for your comments.
Old 11 July 2021, 06:25 PM   #6
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
There is a forum member who owns a 3738G blue dial. It is a nice looking watch, but has been discontinued over 10 years ago. The 5738P is a nice watch and I have tried it on at ADs a couple of times. It's been in the Patek catalog for 10+ years, so not a new watch, but also not produced in high numbers. I would say an average size AD gets one every few years. It is a pricy watch for a simple two-handed watch, although it is a platinum piece.
Thank you for sharing your experience with this piece. I am going to be trying it on; and while I don’t expect to be ‘blown away’ by its presence on the wrist, I do appreciate its standing in a well rounded Patek collection, and it’s overall understated elegance. But if I don’t think I’d wear it as much as I think, then it would be a mistake at the full price. As I explained in answer to other member above, the AD is not giving any discounts, and I know he can’t promise me a green dial 5711. So I’m feeling that this is not the right decision. And in the end it’s just a watch, and 3-handed at that. Thank you for your posting, very helpful.
Old 11 July 2021, 07:03 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

For me a preowned 3738J blue is the Golden Ellipse to get, if any. It will cost some 25% of a 5738P from the AD which I find large and massively overpriced no matter the platinum. In my eyes yellow gold suits the Golden Ellipse better. It adds a little flash and makes 3738J look less sterile than 5738P.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 12:10 AM   #8
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
For me a preowned 3738J blue is the Golden Ellipse to get, if any. It will cost some 25% of a 5738P from the AD which I find large and massively overpriced no matter the platinum. In my eyes yellow gold suits the Golden Ellipse better. It adds a little flash and makes 3738J look less sterile than 5738P.
I do agree with you about that difference. I’m pretty much cooled on the idea after reading the different comments. It is priced too high and isn’t the best option of the lot.
Thanks.
Old 12 July 2021, 12:16 AM   #9
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I can’t recall seeing any posts of GE owners here.

Interesting tale of the golden ratio but appears to have a very narrow appreciation.

The last update larger case and blue dial is significantly nicer imho than previous versions.

Regarding case and movement finishing, why do you think it will be different than other offerings?
It was just the movement that I figured may have something extra to account for price difference. But reading more about it, there is nothing. Perhaps it is the gold dial, but that’s it. Thank you very much as well.
Old 12 July 2021, 12:35 AM   #10
sambb
"TRF" Member

i have wanted an ellipse for awhile. The larger ones 5738 dont seem to sell, but also dont seem to discount well, but maybe im not bargaining. Im looking for the R version. Very low volume seller. You may notice that they may not keep value at all if bought at MSRP. the other issue I hear, is that the strap is very proprietary if you need it changed.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 04:12 AM   #11
EUguy
"TRF" Member

I have a blue dial Golden Ellipse (3738) that I acquired in October last year. I don’t know how to post pics in this thread but I posted a lot of pics of it in a separate thread that I started myself.

For me buying a Golden Ellipse was like a dream coming true. I tried on both the 5738R and the 5738P and while I appreciated the new larger size, the colors of the current Ellipses made me decide to go for a second hand. I love the rose gold on the 5738R but the dial is black and non-sunburst, which makes it a bit too formal for me. The 5738P has a truly mesmerizing blue dial but IMHO the white color of the platinum is a bit cold. I think that the warm yellow gold combined with the sunburst blue dial is the ultimate combination. Should the Ellipse come back with the new larger 5738 size but with yellow gold and blue dial, I would by it today, no doubt.

As stated before it was a dream come true for me. However, I could never have imagined that I would love it that much. It is such a gorgeous piece and it has a true presence on the wrist, which I hadn’t expected before I bought it. You also don’t realize this until you see it IRL or even on the wrist. I have been thinking about it but I believe this is because the strap ‘hides’ behind the case, lifting the case a bit ok the wrist. I also have a JLC Reverso Duoface and while they are quite comparable in size, the Golden Ellipse wears way bigger. It is not a big watch of course but I would say it wears equally big as my Rolex Oyster 116,000 which is 36mm.

Although it is quite a classic watch, I get compliments on it from a wide spectrum of people. I even had about three non-watch enthusiasts compliment me on the watch, saying that they truly love the blue dial and classy form.

I wear it with suits (which is very rare with COVID-19) and casually, but not with sports attire. I really love it on jeans, a nice shirt and perhaps a wool sweater. It truly goes with most of my attire. The only thing that I don’t wear it with, is short sleeves. Don’t know how to say it, but it makes the watch look smaller and makes your arm a bit fleshy, like the picture of Donald Trump with the golden watch with Milanese golden bracelet that is often mistaken for a Golden Ellipse.

Maybe the bigger size of the 5738P would work better with short sleeves but to be honest, I doubt it.

If you but it new without discount, you will lose quite a lot of money in it. On the other hand, the prices increase every year and if you buy this piece for the next generation (which is really something that suits this watch), this should not be such a problem.

Hope my post helps, although I realize it is quite lengthy.
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 06:04 PM   #12
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
I have a blue dial Golden Ellipse (3738) that I acquired in October last year. I don’t know how to post pics in this thread but I posted a lot of pics of it in a separate thread that I started myself.

For me buying a Golden Ellipse was like a dream coming true. I tried on both the 5738R and the 5738P and while I appreciated the new larger size, the colors of the current Ellipses made me decide to go for a second hand. I love the rose gold on the 5738R but the dial is black and non-sunburst, which makes it a bit too formal for me. The 5738P has a truly mesmerizing blue dial but IMHO the white color of the platinum is a bit cold. I think that the warm yellow gold combined with the sunburst blue dial is the ultimate combination. Should the Ellipse come back with the new larger 5738 size but with yellow gold and blue dial, I would by it today, no doubt.

Hope my post helps, although I realize it is quite lengthy.
Your post is amazingly helpful! I sincerely appreciate the time you put into typing this up, but just as much the details of your opinions and thought processes around them. You highlighted key considerations I hadn’t thought about, and you also validated certain doubts/misgivings I had, but couldn’t articulate for myself. So thank you immensely for sharing your personal journey to your GE.
Old 12 July 2021, 06:15 PM   #13
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
i have wanted an ellipse for awhile. The larger ones 5738 dont seem to sell, but also dont seem to discount well, but maybe im not bargaining. Im looking for the R version. Very low volume seller. You may notice that they may not keep value at all if bought at MSRP. the other issue I hear, is that the strap is very proprietary if you need it changed.
Thank you very much for these points. I didn’t know that about the strap, but it does make complete sense. I bet that strap easily gets worn out if the watch is worn regularly. As far as bargaining, my SA told me no wiggle room these days…but still surprised, even for such a low seller?? Maybe I didn’t bargain as needed, because you’re correct about the big difference between AD and grey market, which is also new unworn pieces.
My SA did make an important point in that buying such a piece can help with application pieces. The thing is, I don’t know how much that impacts me since I don’t see myself as an ‘application piece’ type of collector. Regardless, your points are very helpful to me now, so thank you again.
Old 13 July 2021, 03:10 AM   #14
scurfa
"TRF" Member

My knocking about watch, perfect size for not banging into things and working on watches
Old 14 July 2021, 09:37 PM   #15
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
My knocking about watch, perfect size for not banging into things and working on watches
Each picture I see of the GE is enticing. In this version, I never knew there was a date function! The versatility is without question. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 15 July 2021, 12:20 AM   #16
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Yep I have an older golden ellipse w a gold bracelet. It was my 1st PP in the late 70’s . Love it. In mo a real sleeper you could purchase today for less than $9000. It looks identical to new ones and is super thin . Maybe a thought for you - I would be sure to get box and papers. Had mine serviced about a year ago - about a thousand bucks . james in San Antonio Tx :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 12:23 AM   #17
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Here she is :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1B1B4D1C-7E2F-43D4-B6C4-A8AE975753B2.jpeg (71.1 KB, 150 views)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote