The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 March 2023, 07:14 AM   #61
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
If you're in the Seattle area - just got invited to sit in with one of my favorite bands in the PacNW.

It's an honor - these guys are *really* good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg umami.jpg (120.2 KB, 161 views)
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 11:11 PM   #62
cglondon
"TRF" Member

My pride and joy. Been very lucky to own this for the past 6 years. It’s a limited run of 50, Figured Mahogany.

Back in 2017 it was “only” £500 more expensive than the standard Hummingbird. Really loved the look of this one, the darker tone of the sunburst, the gold tuners.

6 years on, it sounds better every time I get it out the case.

It used to sit on a stand in our study before we had a toddler. Then the company I bought it from gave me a current price valuation. So didn’t fancy my kid using it for a seat.

Cheers and enjoy your instruments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 11:31 PM   #63
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Ok, I'll play.

Don't have photos with my watch though.

40+ years as a professional trumpet player. Retired from the music life about five years ago. Now I work as a Learning and Development Manager and have more time with my wife and kids. My trumpets are literally one of a kind and custom made for me. Ferrari is also mine.

PDG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trumpets and Ferrari.jpg (69.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg My Trumpet 1.jpg (110.9 KB, 120 views)
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2023, 11:48 PM   #64
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Back in the studio yesterday to lay down 2 new rhythm tracks.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6942 copy.JPG (277.4 KB, 117 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 12:08 AM   #65
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Back in the studio yesterday to lay down 2 new rhythm tracks.
dP
Haven't done anything in a studio in years. When I did, I thought that was rather fun.

PDG
Old 3 August 2023, 12:12 AM   #66
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post
Haven't done anything in a studio in years. When I did, I thought that was rather fun.

PDG
This is the 2nd recording project for this band. It always takes longer than you want but so far the results have been worth it. Both projects have been a blast from start to finish.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 3 August 2023, 02:01 AM   #67
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
10000% agreed. Frankly, all you need is a solid bassist and drummer deep in the groove. The other players are just fluff.
You can say that again, Steven!

https://youtu.be/_EZsfT_zGi0
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 03:10 AM   #68
lig
"TRF" Member

lol... always the rhythm section.

Some beautiful instruments here. Love those trumpets. Custom Rajas?

One of my retirement goals was to play more music. Funny how that works. Playing out more and you end up with more exposure. Been asked to sub for some great bands recently.

Kalimba is probably the best EWF tribute band in the world. They play all over the place and have former/current EWF members join them on occasion. They just came back from Egypt opening for Sister Sledge.

Their manager caught my band at a local club and asked if I'd be interested in subbing.

Naturally I said yes and what a show! Lakeside was on the bill too.

Got a chance to do that call and response solo on "Reasons" with the lead singer which was a ton of fun. Lots of work though.

View from the office (photo courtesy of Jay Taylor who was the official photographer for the event and a high school classmate of mine!)

And my latest axe. Sterling body, gold wash bell. Silver matte and polished plated bell/neck. Dark vintage tone - exactly what I was after. Modern ergonomics with the vintage sound. Old horns sound great but feel unwieldy IMO.

Ishimori doesn't make this horn anymore and I snagged one of the last two copies.

Old 3 August 2023, 03:52 AM   #69
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Fun thread.

Been playing since I was a kid. Never did the band thing but just play to drive my wife crazy. Ballads make her want to jump out the window.

Have a couple of fairly inexpensive keyboards Yamaha DGX-660 and a PSR-E473.

Sold my Kawai piano that I bought in 1976, a couple of years ago on our last move.

I only use the DGX-660 as a piano but one day I saw this on UTUBE using the same keyboard and decided I better learn to use some of the features on this thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdlS1btT0cQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7043xx.jpg (66.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2348x.jpg (53.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7779x.jpg (54.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7780x.jpg (34.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 3 August 2023, 07:20 AM   #70
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post

One of my retirement goals was to play more music. Funny how that works. Playing out more and you end up with more exposure. Been asked to sub for some great bands recently.

Kalimba is probably the best EWF tribute band in the world. They play all over the place and have former/current EWF members join them on occasion. They just came back from Egypt opening for Sister Sledge.

Their manager caught my band at a local club and asked if I'd be interested in subbing.

Got a chance to do that call and response solo on "Reasons" with the lead singer which was a ton of fun. Lots of work though.

View from the office (photo courtesy of Jay Taylor who was the official photographer for the event and a high school classmate of mine!)

And my latest axe. Sterling body, gold wash bell. Silver matte and polished plated bell/neck. Dark vintage tone - exactly what I was after. Modern ergonomics with the vintage sound. Old horns sound great but feel unwieldy IMO.

Ishimori doesn't make this horn anymore and I snagged one of the last two copies.

That's freaking outstanding!!

My horns are actually hand-made by Andy Taylor in the UK. Honestly, they play better than the Rajas I have played on.

On another side note, I got to play with one of the spin-off EWF bands in Lithuania years ago at a Jazz Festival. If I remember right it was run by Al McKay and more than half of the members of that group were original members of EWF, including Michael Harris the trumpet player. I don't remember who all of them were, but it was extremely cool. We hung out all night drinking more than I should have - but enough that I remembered and had a blast!!

PDG
Old 3 August 2023, 08:44 AM   #71
lig
"TRF" Member

@Ferrari308 -

Thanks! It was so much fun. And yes - the hang is a big part of it too.
Gotta love the timeless and fun music of EWF - it was a high point for me along with opening for Lenny Williams of Tower of Power years ago.

Better than a Raja - way cool. I know nothing about brass winds other than I like the looks of your axes and the Rajas. :)

Al McKay has worked with Kalimba and the sadly recently passed Sheldon Reynolds was a frequent collaborator too.

I felt big-time for a day. :D

That was a lot of work for one gig though - they have a huge book and I didn't have the set list until two days prior to the show.
Old 3 August 2023, 09:04 AM   #72
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Great photos and stories guys. I am no pro, just a weekend warrior, but love old guitars, basses and amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2023-08-03-085705.jpeg (238.8 KB, 98 views)
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 09:30 AM   #73
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
My Gretsch 6119. I bought it with George in mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0650.jpeg (261.3 KB, 98 views)
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2023, 09:33 AM   #74
RichM

And on the acoustic side, Taylor 914-CE
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0656.jpeg (258.5 KB, 91 views)
TRF #139960
Old 3 August 2023, 09:34 AM   #75
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM View Post
Beautiful guitar Richie. I bet it smells good too!
Old 3 August 2023, 09:35 AM   #76
RichM

And one from the Fender Custom Shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0651.jpeg (236.9 KB, 95 views)
TRF #139960
Old 3 August 2023, 09:36 AM   #77
RichM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
Beautiful guitar Richie. I bet it smells good too!
Thanks Matt. Great looking Jaguar.
TRF #139960
Old 3 August 2023, 09:43 AM   #78
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks Matt. Great looking Jaguar.
Thank you!

I’ve never played a Gretsch with those older style HiLo’tron pickups in them like George’s. I bet they’re great though. I used to have a Tennessee Rose with Filter’trons but I sold it to a friend. Have asked a couple of times to buy it back but every time it seems to just make him like it more! Gah!
Old 3 August 2023, 09:48 AM   #79
RichM

Quote:
Thank you!

I’ve never played a Gretsch with those older style HiLo’tron pickups in them like George’s. I bet they’re great though. I used to have a Tennessee Rose with Filter’trons but I sold it to a friend. Have asked a couple of times to buy it back but every time it seems to just make him like it more! Gah!
This one has TV-Jones HLT. That man knows how to make pickups. He’s the Lindy Fralin of the Gretsch world.

I’m like you, just a weekend warrior, but I have a lot of fun.
TRF #139960
Old 3 August 2023, 11:00 PM   #80
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks for each & every contributor to this thread!! Great to see the passion each has for their instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post

I don't know diddley about horns but love the details on that beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Fun thread.

Been playing since I was a kid. Never did the band thing but just play to drive my wife crazy. Ballads make her want to jump out the window.

Have a couple of fairly inexpensive keyboards Yamaha DGX-660 and a PSR-E473.

Sold my Kawai piano that I bought in 1976, a couple of years ago on our last move.

I only use the DGX-660 as a piano but one day I saw this on UTUBE using the same keyboard and decided I better learn to use some of the features on this thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdlS1btT0cQ
I tell the youngin's that if all you ever achieve is the ability to play for your own fulfillment, that alone is worth all the effort. It's not the size of the audience, but the earned satisfaction.

Quote:
Great photos and stories guys. I am no pro, just a weekend warrior, but love old guitars, basses and amps.
Love that Jag!

Quote:

Quote:
And one from the Fender Custom Shop.
Big fan of TV Jones pickups! I have them on 4 basses. They sound as good as they look.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 6 August 2023, 05:17 AM   #81
RichM

Great advice. Thanks Dan.
TRF #139960
Old 16 January 2024, 08:21 AM   #82
FLGatorM5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Happy NGD to me.
FLGatorM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:26 AM   #83
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Hi TRF guitarists, I'm thinking about getting back into playing after 20+ years. I had a Stratocaster when I was younger with some amps (a Fender Blues Jr, a JCM800 with 1960A) & pedals. I'd like to buy something a bit more special that can play more varied music. I'd like to set it up to play through computer software & headphones. I've been gravitating towards the Taylor T5z series (https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...res/series/t5z). Has anyone had any experience with these guitars, Taylor as a brand (quality, customer service) or can suggest another similar semi-hollow/electric? Gretsch?

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 07:57 AM   #84
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Oof!!! While I have nothing bad to say about Taylor, you’re looking at a huge difference from what you used to play.

Taylor makes beautiful sounding/looking/playing instruments, no doubt about that. We are down to just a baby Taylor in the house currently and the tone and playability of that thing is shocking for its size!

All that said, I’m a fender guy, strats mostly. That tone cannot be recreated and I fear you’d be disappointed without it. Personally I’d look into a Strat that has a humbucker in the bridge position for the most versatility. Or better yet, a noiseless set. I find it’s much easier to model the sounds of other guitars than it is to model a strat.

That’s just my opinion though. Unfortunately due to a progressive disability I can no longer play but for 10+ years it’s all I did. I don’t know a ton about modern tech, even at the time I played I always leaned toward simplicity in my setup. Strat, big amp, and minimal pedals. But I am familiar with computer modeling software and I just don’t find it to cover single coil sounds very well.

Otherwise, if you think you can live with that, you certainly can’t go wrong with a Taylor!

Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 08:02 AM   #85
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry, I missed the semi-hollow part! Lol

I only ever had an Ibanez semi-hollow. It was fairly entry level, maybe $500-ish range. It sounded fantastic for BB King style blues and clean jazz tones. Played really well too right out of the box but that’s the end of my experience with that style. I only had it a year or so.

Old 17 January 2024, 10:12 AM   #86
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
I've never played a T5z, just the idea of one sounds great. Unfortunately, no one I know plays guitar & if they did, the odds of them having a T5z is very slim, as it is a pricey instrument with a very niche buyer segment. I don't want to make a $4500 investment (guitar, cables, software, pedals) to find out it sounds "meh" through the computer. Unfortunately, I can't have a half-stack, or even an all-tube class A low wattage amp in my condo. Not that it's not allowed, but it would be disruptive. Thank you for your input, though!

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 10:25 AM   #87
FLGatorM5

Any Musicians on TRF?

I have a Taylor 214ce that I bought used. I have been very pleased with it as a “step up” level but also not much to compare it to. I loved my Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer but those are an acquired taste. I think it’s great compared to cheap or entry level guitars. Yet also I have no desire to go up to a $2k+ acoustic (yet ).
The hybrid world is new to me and honestly doesn’t make sense in my head (haven’t played one though). I think if I wanted something slightly hollow it would be a 335-like thing…

I think you need to play one first. See if it really is a balance of both or just a compromise.

EDIT: The other thing I would add is you can pick up all sorts of great guitars at reasonable prices used. If you feel like you need to move on, set it free and buy something nicer.
If you loved playing a Strat, for the love of all that is good, go get yourself a Strat. Squire, Mexi, or freaking Custom Shop.
Old 17 January 2024, 02:23 PM   #88
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
I've never played a T5z, just the idea of one sounds great. Unfortunately, no one I know plays guitar & if they did, the odds of them having a T5z is very slim, as it is a pricey instrument with a very niche buyer segment. I don't want to make a $4500 investment (guitar, cables, software, pedals) to find out it sounds "meh" through the computer. Unfortunately, I can't have a half-stack, or even an all-tube class A low wattage amp in my condo. Not that it's not allowed, but it would be disruptive. Thank you for your input, though!

I completely understand! You could however, purchase any guitar you like and get a USB DI box. Amp and pedal modeling is pretty good. With a nice set of headphones you’d enjoy the sound quite a bit. And, your investment wouldn’t have to be nearly as much.

I guess my other post was just focusing on the fact that if you enjoy a strat sound, you won’t get it from any other guitar and I believe you CAN achieve the sound of most other guitars with a strat :)

Good luck! I hope you report back what you end up doing!

Old 17 January 2024, 02:26 PM   #89
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGatorM5 View Post
If you loved playing a Strat, for the love of all that is good, go get yourself a Strat. Squire, Mexi, or freaking Custom Shop.

My sentiments exactly!!!

Old 18 January 2024, 12:10 AM   #90
FLGatorM5

I feel like my Strat looks different…