The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 April 2009, 11:31 AM   #1
sclark1066
"TRF" Member

Newbie shopping for first Rolex

Hello All, I was referred to the site by Rolex owner friend. He has been mentoring me in my quest for my first Rolex.

I have been looking at the sub for some years, yearning really. Well, I decided it was time to pull the trigger. However, when i went to the shop, there was the new GMT II. I fell in love with the heavier case and the idea that i could track two time zones. Now I vascilate between the sub and GMT. Input?

Also, I have seen some great prices here but am unsure if it is a good idea to try to save a few hundred dollars as opposed to going to a dealer. Should my first purchase be warranty free? Is it ok to go for slightly used? Input is welcome.

Thanks for you help and the info I've skimmed so far!
sclark1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to the forum..........

If it's only a matter of saving a couple of hundred, I would go for brand spankin' new from an Authorized Dealer..

If the savings is sizable, then I might look at a used piece... unless we're talking about discontinued models of course........
Old 16 April 2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Hamtaro
"TRF" Member

Ah ! I am in the same boat - but I'm leaning towards the GMT - love the ceramic bezel !

And there are just deals to be had on the internet - there's no point in paying for someone's store rent.
Old 16 April 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
They're both great watches so pick the one that smiles at you, as they say here on the forum. You can't go wrong with either of them.

As for savings, pre-loved can be the way to go, especially if the savings is substantial (which it usually is). Nothing wrong with buying a used watch. You may need to get it serviced sooner, but these watches are tanks and hold up pretty darn well! That's why I have a Sub.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Colnago
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx=3, Tdr=3, Om=3
My humble opinion....yes, look at the watch on your wrist to see if it "smiles" back at you......but keep looking even if it smiles and ask yourself "could I look at this every day for the rest of my life and not get sick of it"....I bought my first DJ at the age of 23, they had to sit me down in the AD 'cause I was shaking so much with such a big spend ahead.......I look at that watch almost 23 years later, half my life, and it still gives me goose bumps......I will be happy looking at it till it's passed to one of my sons......
Colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2009, 07:55 PM   #6
handdoc
"TRF" Member

PM Tempoking on this forum or call Gagan Navani at Elite Time in Boston/NYC

they will get you your watch at a great price

trusted sellers
handdoc is offline   Reply With Quote