The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 19 May 2007, 03:12 PM   #31
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
Quote:
They tend to look more dressy, more 'romantic'
Well...since my idea of being romantic is a case of beer & a meaningful day together looking at the Amsoil catalog....
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 04:00 PM   #32
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

to each their own my friend, to each their own
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2007, 06:28 PM   #33
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I tried on a Santos 100 recently, and it is much more comfortable on the wrist than a sub. THe curveed case on the santos is awesome!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 02:45 AM   #34
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Thats kinda like a Cartier trademark to not have a seconds hands.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 02:47 AM   #35
davor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirill View Post
Yea, I'm sorry for the long post, but that's the only way i could try and explain what i had in my mind.

Now, to answering your new questions:

Rolex claims that they are the only watch company who uses the 902L for making a SS bracelet/case. So, to my knowledge, there is nothing 'special' about Cartier's stainless steel.

For the overhauls, its not $200, my friend, its $420 JUST for a standard overhaul on a Rolex. Certainly, the watch comes back looking and running and feeling brand new, but it is $420 every 5-7 years you have to drop, and prices go up, and that's without any parts replaced or any additional work done.

As far as Cartier goes, and please, do not quote me on this, a standard overhaul on a mechanical movement watch from them is $395. Again some models might be more expensive than others, and quartz movement might be less expensive, as it will just be a battery service, but it WILL need to be done more frequently as the battery life is about 2-3 years.

Now, I am getting these figures from my experience. I sent them all out to Rolex in NY and Cartier, not just an authorized watch maker, those MIGHT be cheaper, but it's more of a gamble. Rolex guarantees that if the watch is lost during shipment to you, or they break it for example, which does not ever happen, they will replace your watch with any watch of the same or lesser value.

Again, Santos has a lot of different routes you can go with. You can get the medium size, or the large, or the large chronograph. You can get it in SS, SS/18ky, or all 18 carat yellow or white gold, then, of course, you can cover it all in diamonds. Sky is limit. In SS Sub, well, you really can't do anything. Rolex is VERY VERY particular on what you can and cannot do. You can NEVER put a diamond bezel, per say, on SS ANYTHING, not even the stainless and gold models, ONLY the full precious metal models. I've seen some after marketers do it, but as soon as you send the watch to Rolex for overhaul, they will take that bezel off, charge you for replacing with proper and you'll be lucky to get your diamonds back.

Then comes in the whole 'romantic' approach with Cartier. Down the road you can get your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/whoever a matching Santos in small size. The only Professional series Rolex they make that will come close to looking like a Sub is the Yach-Master, they make it in Small, medium, large.

I would honestly say gor with the Rolex. I mean, its Rolex. Again, 90% of the people who will see it will recognize the watch. Though those who know at least a bit about watches will def recognize the Santos.
i was just kidding about how long ur post was it was a great read as this was keep it up.
now, 420 ur pulling my leg wright when did the price jump i heard that it was 200 euros; made a mistake in my last post sorry...
i already made up my mind and ordered the sub,it never really was a question which one out of the two will i buy,my heart was set on the roler from the beginning
the thing is that my friend has a santos and i was just curious what the differences were,i was still a newbie when i started this thread but now i would consider myself to know everything there is to know about rolies...

thank u very much for taking the time to explain and resolve my questions

davor
davor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 06:57 AM   #36
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

Well, I'm glad any of my info was useful. I am an AD in Virginia and that's where i'm coming up with prices from. Now, its $420 US dollars, Euro is a bit stronger than US Dollar right now, you're just about right. However, do not forget that Rolex raise their prices every year by 5-8%, yet another reason why it is good to invest in a Rolex. I think you have made a great choice.
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2007, 11:51 AM   #37
davor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirill View Post
Well, I'm glad any of my info was useful. I am an AD in Virginia and that's where i'm coming up with prices from. Now, its $420 US dollars, Euro is a bit stronger than US Dollar right now, you're just about right. However, do not forget that Rolex raise their prices every year by 5-8%, yet another reason why it is good to invest in a Rolex. I think you have made a great choice.
wow thats great,that u are an ad i mean...people like u and mr.NICK HACKO(amongst others) are of great "value" and importance here on this nutty forum...
great info;very informative and fun to read...
do stay and enjoy this forum

davor
davor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 07:48 AM   #38
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Hmm.. I remember Nick hacko as being a nut case.. Albeit a well informed one..
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 07:49 AM   #39
iSellJerseyShore
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
While they are both very good watches, they are miles apart in looks and functionality. I don't think the two are really comparable.

JJ

I agree with JJ! Both iconic and both in different worlds!

-Frankie
iSellJerseyShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 07:54 AM   #40
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Used to have a Santos 100, SS with bracelet, too big for my wrist, sold it for $3,000 after one week with it
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2009, 06:06 PM   #41
PorscheStan
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona Black
I have owned a Santos quartz movement for many years with zero problems. Mine is very thin and comfortable..No it's not the same as a Rolex, but it has proven to be an exellent watch. (Stainless and Gold) I have always enjoyed it.
PorscheStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 05:54 PM   #42
welem

rolex definitely, cartier is just a fashion brand in my opinion and it will take them ages to compete with the quality of rolex watchmaking
welem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 08:21 PM   #43
blackmsport
Banned

Rolex = trust worthy brand

Cartier = luxury fashion for those with too much money and dont case about resale value
blackmsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 02:24 AM   #44
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by welem View Post
rolex definitely, cartier is just a fashion brand in my opinion and it will take them ages to compete with the quality of rolex watchmaking

Really?

Old 23 July 2010, 03:49 PM   #45
pradeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Dates
hehe
pradeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2010, 05:58 AM   #46
jeremyam

Watch: 16610 V
This really isn't a fair comparison for either watch. The Cartier is a dress watch that really cannot play well, the Rolex (Sub) is a monster that can get by in a boardroom.

Rolex helps protect your investment, Cartier could care less.
jeremyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2010, 06:10 AM   #47
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyam View Post
This really isn't a fair comparison for either watch. The Cartier is a dress watch that really cannot play well, the Rolex (Sub) is a monster that can get by in a boardroom.

Rolex helps protect your investment, Cartier could care less.
That all depends on your definition of investment protection. I bought the Cartier Santos Carré in steel in 1980. I've swam with it, worn it on the beach and even put it in a cup of water and froze it (don't ask me why, I must have been crazy...). It kept on ticking and was quite accurate to boot.

A couple of years later I sold the watch for way to less to my brother. He still has it and still wears it and it still is like new. It came with a lifetime warranty and has been completely factory overhauled three times free of charge. Each time it came back, it was all polished and with new seals, o-ring, had an adjustment and was wrapped in blue plastic foil.

As much as I like Rolex, they don't even come close to this kind of service. So to say Cartier couldn't care less is a bit disconnected from the truth.

I still regret I sold that watch.
Old 20 August 2010, 04:53 PM   #48
pradeep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Day Dates
I'd take a cartier santos 100, in terms of styling they are miles ahead. In my opinion, ofcourse! Each to our own.
pradeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2010, 05:09 AM   #49
seiko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeep View Post
I'd take a cartier santos 100, in terms of styling they are miles ahead. In my opinion, ofcourse! Each to our own.
Yep, did just that, tried the Santos and Sub mariner but chose the Cartier.
seiko is offline   Reply With Quote