The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 March 2012, 03:58 AM   #1
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

1 minute slow per day

I finally got around to timing my two month old PAM 177 (purchased BNIB) and found it to be over 60 seconds slow in 24 hours on a full wind. Ugh. My old PAM 48 didn't keep time accurately, either.

The 177 is under warranty, so I'm thinking about sending it off to Panerai Service Center in Texas. After reading the reviews here on TRF, that facility seems like amateur hour. Almost wondering whether it would be better to just take it to my local guy to be regulated. It would probably cost a couple hundred dollars, but no 2 month turnaround time & worries about it getting hacked up. What would you do?

I never seem to have these problems with my Rolexes, all of which are just about spot-on.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 07:32 AM   #2
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Yeah, with an ETA movement is would be much easier to have it done locally. Many here have done that. Me, I like my watches touched only by the SC. I also don't have a local guy either though....
Old 2 March 2012, 12:44 PM   #3
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I rested it on the other side (crown down) for another 24 hours without re-winding and now its come back to -20 secs over 2 days. Probably not enough variance for me to bother with a service.

I assume that the side on which it's stored & the amount it's wound have an undue influence on its accuracy.
Old 2 March 2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
Have it adjusted. It shouldn't run that low.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 01:08 PM   #5
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_mcgee View Post
I finally got around to timing my two month old PAM 177 (purchased BNIB) and found it to be over 60 seconds slow in 24 hours on a full wind. Ugh. My old PAM 48 didn't keep time accurately, either.

The 177 is under warranty, so I'm thinking about sending it off to Panerai Service Center in Texas. After reading the reviews here on TRF, that facility seems like amateur hour. Almost wondering whether it would be better to just take it to my local guy to be regulated. It would probably cost a couple hundred dollars, but no 2 month turnaround time & worries about it getting hacked up. What would you do?

I never seem to have these problems with my Rolexes, all of which are just about spot-on.

Could it be magnitized? A competent watchmaker and a trustworthy one can probably check it out very quickly and espcially for an ETA based movement.

Worst case... send it back under warranty.

Best,

Fred
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 01:39 PM   #6
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

OK off it goes, thanks for the advice
Old 3 March 2012, 06:17 AM   #7
canwatchco
"TRF" Member

Most watchmakers do NOT have the correct tool for removing the caseback. Only a truly careful considerate watchmaker will care not to scratch the caseback. Others will use ill fitting tools and leave permanent scars.

Sending it to Panerai not only guarantees that it will be properly opened, but they will also replace the gasket and close it properly as well.

Lessons learned the hard way. :-(
canwatchco is offline   Reply With Quote