The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 June 2021, 04:41 AM   #61
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Really makes no difference......

Whether it a 3k watch or 100k watch......

Depend on your lifestyle society....

Awareness and common sense is the key.....

And there's the right answer.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2021, 07:21 AM   #62
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I'm not "blessed" at all. This was way before the recent Nautilus craze, and it was sitting in an AD's window waiting for a buyer, as they did in those days.

I prefer the FPJ because I think it's a fundamentally-better watch, nothing to do with past, present or future values. [That's a separate debate, and just a personal opinion btw.]

I don't think anything from Rolex has tripled or quadrupled in value over the past ten years.

I'm genuinely torn as to what to do. Kicking the can down the road is a likely outcome!
i hope you negotiated a good discount back then, knowing that i own something that keeps appreciating is a good feeling.
the safety risk of wearing something like that in public is real. but instead of selling the watch, i would just be more selective on where to wear it and more vigilant when i have it on.
Old 6 June 2021, 08:10 AM   #63
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Just curious, is this really a problem in Montana?
Considering I spend most of my time traveling for work, yes.

Do you know anyone who makes their home base in Montana, who can afford watches like this, who lives 24/7/365 in Montana?
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2021, 08:12 AM   #64
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just curious, is this really a problem in Montana?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Bison are incredibly discerning. Rolex? Meh, whatever. But if they caught the slightest sight of a 5712, beware, they will charge at you!
Quote:
I've heard that! Thanks for confirming it.
Ok, I know we're all joking, being sarcastic, and poking fun at me, but...

I have actually been charged at by bison before.
Old 6 June 2021, 08:43 AM   #65
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ok, I know we're all joking, being sarcastic, and poking fun at me, but...

I have actually been charged at by bison before.
No, not poking fun at you. I was serious about whether wearing a Nautilus was a problem in Montana, itself. It seems like a safe and rather placid place to live. The traveling for work part I didn't know about but I wouldn't wear a Nautilus traveling for work simply because I don't relish wearing mine while crushed into plane seats.
I live in New Mexico and wear my 5711 all the time and no one notices it or ever comments on it.
Now, about those bison, what watch were you wearing when they charged you?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 01:09 AM   #66
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Wear them freely in your locally known safe areas. I would not travel with them.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 02:38 AM   #67
Uros
"TRF" Member

I agree with OP, wearing my Jumbo less and less, this perception of value kills enjoying it. If I scratch it or worse its tens of thousands of (imaginary) euros…ridiculous

So to sum up, hot watches we own are not fun to wear, and hot watches we want we cant have. Great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 09:05 AM   #68
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I agree with OP.

I’ve sold my 5712, 5711, 5164, 5167, and even my Royal Oaks... I can’t wear a 100k watch no matter how much my net worth.

I do miss the 5164... but the peace of mind since I unloaded these is priceless.

I’m back to my 5 digit Rolex collection and my life isn’t less because of it.

An extra thought; I would have kept my 5711 I bought for 17k with DavidSW (and others), if it wasn’t worth a Porsche 911 on my wrist.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2021, 01:10 PM   #69
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Really makes no difference......

Whether it a 3k watch or 100k watch......

Depend on your lifestyle society....

Awareness and common sense is the key.....

The value of the watch does matter. I have never read a story about someone getting mugged for their Oris or their Hamilton. But I have read about people getting their Rolex, AP, PP or RM watches getting stolen. I know that "situational awareness" is preached a lot on this site, but that's not always enough. There are people in recent videos that were brazenly robbed in front of a hotel or while eating lunch who were minding their own business. They were targeted. You simply can't avoid all possible threats.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 04:44 AM   #70
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
The value of the watch does matter. I have never read a story about someone getting mugged for their Oris or their Hamilton. But I have read about people getting their Rolex, AP, PP or RM watches getting stolen. I know that "situational awareness" is preached a lot on this site, but that's not always enough. There are people in recent videos that were brazenly robbed in front of a hotel or while eating lunch who were minding their own business. They were targeted. You simply can't avoid all possible threats.
Rising values making watches unwearable is not to blame.....

Blame it on the timepieces identity.....

The situation that you mention is avoidable if people use their common sense and knowing what kind of lifestyle society they in or hanging out.....

The reason I say, it really makes no difference is because......

If someone were to hang out in a bad society and wearing a replica Nautilus or Aquanaut which had zero value, would they still get mug or rob....?? Of course they will get mug or rob.......

VS

If someone were to hang out in a bad society and wearing a Patek Philippe Calatravone Stainless Steel Year 1942 Ref. 570 which value over 3 million dollars,would they still get mug or rob....?? Likely not.......

My point is no matter what the value of the timepiece you wearing.... Always know your lifestyle society surrounding and using your common sense so you won't get mug or rob and most importantly don't get hurt.....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 04:49 AM   #71
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
I agree with OP.

I’ve sold my 5712, 5711, 5164, 5167, and even my Royal Oaks... I can’t wear a 100k watch no matter how much my net worth.

I do miss the 5164... but the peace of mind since I unloaded these is priceless.

An extra thought; I would have kept my 5711 I bought for 17k with DavidSW (and others), if it wasn’t worth a Porsche 911 on my wrist.
I am starting to get to this point and never thought I would. Maybe watches were just a phase in my life which I am moving past but I wear one of my Daytona's 99% of the time and its been fine with me. I may keep a PP and AP to round it out but I could see unloading sometime soon. Its just insane and the game around getting them now is just absurd.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 04:50 AM   #72
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by macplee View Post
great things about watches unlike cars is you can hide them when you are out. long sleeves and jackets. be careful when traveling etc and today the prices are now increasing the risks. use common sense but if it get less wrist time and it brings you stress - these hot watches are very liquid. and the good news again unlike cars - storing watches is near zero.
well said
Old 8 June 2021, 04:53 AM   #73
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
There are also many examples of people being robbed at gunpoint for a wallet with $20 in it. My point is that we can only try to do so much without constantly living in fear. And it is sad how this world has become.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 06:46 AM   #74
UmichNJ
"TRF" Member

I wore a 5168g at a jammed pack Encore Beach Club this weekend (David Guetta was DJ’ing) and I was surprised how many people noticed the watch. Nevertheless, watches are for wearing, and I still felt very comfortable.

UmichNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 06:48 AM   #75
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I miss the days when no one knew or cared about my Nauts and Aquas.

The only thing people used to care about was a Rolex (which most only recognized the Submariner) and Richard Mille (and only a select few of them were recognizable).

Now that watches are treated like "investments" every fool knows about them.

Go buy some DOGE instead. Leave watches to us collectors, please.
Old 8 June 2021, 05:26 PM   #76
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

As long as my safety isn't at risk, and what I'm wearing is fully insured (which they are), I don't think about it.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 09:49 PM   #77
smg8
Banned

I can empathise with the OP.

I sold my Aquanaut 5167 for not dissimilar reasons - didn't enjoy wearing it due to the attention Patek's come with these days, and with it having shot up in value so much it ended up sitting in the safe most the time for worry of getting it stolen/scratching it etc. I also moved on my AP ROC for similar reasons.

Something about my GMT and Omega Seamaster means I wear them totally care free. I'd hate to call something so expensive "cheap" but the comparatively cheaper price of these makes it more enjoyable. Having £50k worth of watch sat in a safe or £30k on my wrist just began to feel uncomfortable. Especially with stories of spotters in restaurants, knife wielding gangs robbing people etc.

I kept my GMT, replaced the Patek with the Seamaster (rubber strap casual/holiday watch) and the AP ROC with a Hublot Classic Fusion Ceramic (sporty chronograph with added advantage of being unscratchable) and find myself happy wearing anything I now own on any occasion and with no worries at all.

Good luck making your decision OP
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 11:01 PM   #78
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with OP.

This is an interesting comment. How many of us here drive a 6 digits Porsche like car? If so, how come it is okay to park a six digit car at a random parking space awaiting for someone to dent/ding/breakin/steal the car. But it is a concern to have it on the wrist with you 24/7 and also where you can conceal it easily with a long sleeve shirt?
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 11:47 PM   #79
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
This is an interesting comment. How many of us here drive a 6 digits Porsche like car? If so, how come it is okay to park a six digit car at a random parking space awaiting for someone to dent/ding/breakin/steal the car. But it is a concern to have it on the wrist with you 24/7 and also where you can conceal it easily with a long sleeve shirt?
I worry infinitely more about leaving my car in a carpark than I do about wearing a watch of the same value, never give the watch a second thought regarding dings/theft etc.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 11:51 PM   #80
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Life is too short worrying about what might or might not happen with your watch (and everything else!). Just wear and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2021, 11:54 PM   #81
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post

It’s not about the dinging and concealing… I didn’t hide or worry about dinging my 5712. I wore it and wore it hard. But it was fun when it was with 30ish k… not when it was 100k.

That wasn’t what I signed up for.

Another story: One day I went to the bank (yes that was what I had to do to rotate watches…) and the bank had to be evacuated, was closed because something inside caught fire. I remember being outside the bank, seeing the firemen come in and out and I imagined the worse…

Anyway that was the last straw for me… the watches started “owning me” not the other way around…

Anyway, I feel like I can enjoy my current watches, and life is good.

Here’s my latest acquisition that I’m enjoying very much and it was only 12k.

With that said.. I’m lusting over a GMT rose gold… that’s like 37k msrp… but even then, I’m not sure.

Old 9 June 2021, 05:43 AM   #82
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
As long as my safety isn't at risk, and what I'm wearing is fully insured (which they are), I don't think about it.
The argument here is that prior to the bubble hype, you were safer and at less risk since many of these watches were not recognizable.
Old 9 June 2021, 06:50 AM   #83
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
In twenty years of wearing Patek, AP and Rolex watches - none ever seemed to draw any attention other than a Rolex, very infrequently. This despite three pickpocketing attempts in Paris, Rio and Milan. None seemed to care about my watch, usually under a shirtsleeve anyway.

I buy cars to drive anywhere (on road) and watches to wear all the time. If I started to worry about them, they'd be sold.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 07:50 AM   #84
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Does all of this suddenly make the AP Code an attractive proposition? Lol.

Great thread all.

@UmichNJ maybe all the on-lookers were trying to confirm the rare Tiffany stamp!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 07:53 AM   #85
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s not about the dinging and concealing… I didn’t hide or worry about dinging my 5712. I wore it and wore it hard. But it was fun when it was with 30ish k… not when it was 100k.

That wasn’t what I signed up for.

Another story: One day I went to the bank (yes that was what I had to do to rotate watches…) and the bank had to be evacuated, was closed because something inside caught fire. I remember being outside the bank, seeing the firemen come in and out and I imagined the worse…

Anyway that was the last straw for me… the watches started “owning me” not the other way around…

Anyway, I feel like I can enjoy my current watches, and life is good.

With that said.. I’m lusting over a GMT rose gold… that’s like 37k msrp… but even then, I’m not sure.

Can't blame you. That YM is amazing in the metal.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 08:59 AM   #86
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Does all of this suddenly make the AP Code an attractive proposition? Lol.

Great thread all.

@UmichNJ maybe all the on-lookers were trying to confirm the rare Tiffany stamp!

I like the 1159. It’s a little too shiny for me but I think it’s a great watch. Plus it is the only thing you can actually buy from an AP dealer.

QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 09:48 AM   #87
Ryann24
"TRF" Member

This is the same reason I sold my Rose Gold Royal Oak. Didnt feel comfortable with a 100k on my wrist
Ryann24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 02:05 PM   #88
QuantumOceanLawyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last one I bought
Quote:

I think this is a way under-appreciated Rolex. I think it’s one of their best looking sports watches and it’s not really talked about.

QuantumOceanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 02:48 PM   #89
Robine
Banned

Maybe worth thinking about talking to the AD, as the increase in value wasn't part of the original deal when you bought the watch.
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2021, 03:27 PM   #90
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robine View Post
Maybe worth thinking about talking to the AD, as the increase in value wasn't part of the original deal when you bought the watch.