The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 April 2024, 01:04 PM   #1
0sion
"TRF" Member

Tudor Oysterdate Small Rose Originality Check

I recently purchased a 1965 Tudor Oysterdate Small Rose Ref. 7962, and wasn't able to find any other watches of the same reference with the same dial. I also wasn't able to find any official/explicit information that would allow me to authenticate the dial on my watch.

I can confirm the movement inside is a Manual ETA 2403, consistent with what should be in such a watch. My main issue is with the dial.

The dial in question has 'T Swiss T' printed below the 6 o'clock applied marker, however, the hands aren't lumed and there are no lume plots (or residue to indicate they were once on the dial).

So I would like to ask if any of the members on here would be able to educate me on:1) The authenticity of this dial​2) Whether the dial belongs to this reference of Tudor watches (as there seem to be multiple dial variations of this reference)​

If they the dial is authentic and the dial belongs to this reference3) Has the dial been refinished, and if the answer is yes, which of these below is (are) what has happened to this watch:​a) The lume plots that would've once been on the dial but have fallen offb) The applied indices aren't original (positioing and/or size caused them to position differently, in the process covering where lume plots would've been placed)​c) The hands were replaced with non-factory hands for this watch (the original hands had lume on them)​

If there are any resources you may have on vintage Tudor dials, could you please share it with me so I can discover more about watches.
Thank you for your time, it is much appreciated.
20240410_133043.jpg

20240410_133022.jpg

20240410_132828.jpg
0sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 04:28 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I am interested to hear the experts opinion.

I would be leaning towards a pass but would have to see it in hand.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 05:22 PM   #3
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Warm welcome Osion,

Tudor don't follow the traditional Rolex conventions.

How so....

Many Tritiums are just 'Swiss' footer only eg 74000 and many 34mm t - swiss - t watches are in fact without tritium dials and hands.

Here is a link to a few, about 6 old ones, for sale on C24 - both blacks are repaints btw.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/in...ccessoryTypes=

Here is an example, big rose, T SWISS T but plain dial...not forensically checked dial but there is a brown very bottom and black strap one shown both same config.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tudor/tud..._Rj8mwV&pos=10

Here is an example of Swiss that is tritium too, which has similar shock resisting script too to the one you posted:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tudor/tud..._4EP9BT&pos=17

Initially, the dial looks ok to me - many different interpretations of how TUDOR and SHOCK RESISTING was printed.
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 05:46 PM   #4
0sion
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much TuRo for both the welcome and information. I really appreciate the links. I think I'm really gonna enjoy my time on here.
Old 14 April 2024, 11:43 AM   #5
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Warm welcome Osion,

Tudor don't follow the traditional Rolex conventions.

How so....

Many Tritiums are just 'Swiss' footer only eg 74000 and many 34mm t - swiss - t watches are in fact without tritium dials and hands.

Here is a link to a few, about 6 old ones, for sale on C24 - both blacks are repaints btw.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/in...ccessoryTypes=

Here is an example, big rose, T SWISS T but plain dial...not forensically checked dial but there is a brown very bottom and black strap one shown both same config.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tudor/tud..._Rj8mwV&pos=10

Here is an example of Swiss that is tritium too, which has similar shock resisting script too to the one you posted:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/tudor/tud..._4EP9BT&pos=17

Initially, the dial looks ok to me - many different interpretations of how TUDOR and SHOCK RESISTING was printed.
Agree with Paul. The slightly different "Shock Resisting" font is not unusual - I have seen similar.

Watch looks good to me.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 03:03 PM   #6
0sion
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the additional confirmation mate
Old 14 April 2024, 09:45 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It was common for Rolex/Tudor to use T SWISS T dials for no-lume variants. The hands are also un-lumed.
Old 15 April 2024, 01:31 PM   #8
0sion
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the knowledge Dan.
Old 15 April 2024, 01:41 PM   #9
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Keep in mind that back then, dials could have been made by three different contractors. Rolex/Tudor did not make or print their dials in-house until just a little over a decade ago.
Dial and print variation was common between the contractors. They would usually print a large batch of dials not knowing if they would get lume or not.
Old 15 April 2024, 08:49 PM   #10
0sion
"TRF" Member

Oh, I thought it was just different variations that Tudor/Rolex decided on themselves, and so the variations in the dials. Thanks for the knowledge Matt, much appreciated.