The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > For Sale: NON-ROLEX watches

Old 3 December 2017, 02:39 AM   #1
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Fat Lady
Jaeger-LeCoultre (JLC) Memovox: Model 144.8.94.S

Well, I’m doing something that I never thought I would. And that’s to put the JLC I bought earlier this year up for sale. I’m at a point where my collection has grown too much and I haven’t been selling …. until now. Hence I’ve started the process of consolidating. Not easy to do. And this one is hard to part with.

So .. up for sale is my Jaeger-LeCoultre Memovox: Model 144.8.94.S Manual, Cal 914 …. $5350

This Memovox model is extremely rare because it had a limited run from around 1999-2002. This watch is unique because it's one of two modern black faced Memovox models and the only one with a clear case back to the movement and alarm complication. This one is numbered 564 and apparently there were only 1164 of these black dial versions made. When this model was released, there was also a white/silver faced version. However that version has a closed case back. A couple of interesting facts about this watch: not only does it differ from the buzzing alarm of the automatic calibres of the Memovox but also that this one, being quite special, was manufactured alongside the minute repeaters which have the same gong design.

Calibre JLC 914 (also used in other models) is an alarm movement from Jaeger-LeCoultre produced since 1996 and is based on its predecessors, Calibres 910 and 911, but with significant improvements. It beats at a modern 28,800 A/h rather than 19,800 A/h as in the previous models. It is upgraded with 18 jewels, one more than before. But the most significant improvement is the use of a nicer-sounding gong for the alarm function. One benefit of ringing a gong rather than the case back is that, for the first time, a Memovox can have a transparent sapphire case back, allowing the movement to be viewed.

The previous owner had it fully serviced by a JLC AD in Canada in May 2016 (crowns were also replaced to ensure waterproofness). The watch runs perfectly with no issues. And it remains in excellent condition since it has been worn only occassionaly since its service.

This sale includes a soft black calf leather Hirsch strap as well as a new JLC black alligator strap purchased from the AD (still only worn for a day) and includes the JLC tang buckle. Please Note: The lizard strap shown in some photos is NOT included.

Here are the technical details:
— Origin: Switzerland
— Model #: 144.8.94.S
— Movement: cal 914 Mechanical (manual) version of 918; 28,800 bph; 45 hr pwr reserve; 18 jewels
— Case Diameter: 36 x 10 mm
— Lug to Lug - 42 mm (lug width 18mm)
— Case Material: Stainless Steel
— Case Back: Presentation (only memovox with display caseback)
— Dial Color: Black
— Water Resistant: 50M
— Bracelet Material: Leather
— Condition: Pre-owned

PRICE: $5350USD. With the full service (cost $1000USD in May 2016) the price is very fair and it is not more than I paid for it earlier this year. I am located in Victoria, BC, so face to face here is certainly welcome. Vancouver is also possible (but not just for viewing please unless you are very serious). I will include Parcel Pro next day shipping at the full price, but will negotiate final price if offers are less than full.

Full disclosure: This watch was purchased earlier this year from an acquaintance and fellow watch collector. I have used one or two of his pictures as indicated below. The rest are more recent and are mine.

Photo by previous owner - shows black Hirsch strap included

Photo by previous owner - shows JLC strap and tang buckle included

And ... my own more recent photos.

Thanks for having a look and thanks to TRF for the space.

PT
Waterproofpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

Hope you find this interesting. I took a video of the alarm ringing. Turn your volume up. Enjoy.

1. From the back ... keep your eye on the top right section of the movement in the picture. You will see the hammer in action.

2. From the top. The sound is closer to what it sounds like on the wrist.

Last edited by Waterproofpt; 6 December 2017 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: Not showing the link
Old 6 December 2017, 04:53 AM   #3
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

Last edited by Waterproofpt; 6 December 2017 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: wasn't showing in post
Old 12 December 2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the inquiries and interest. I now have the watch on hold for a collector with a special fondness for JLC. Always nice to pass something on to a fellow enthusiast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 December 2017, 12:01 PM   #5
Waterproofpt
"TRF" Member

And the sale is now completed. The new owner will have it in time to be able to put it under the tree...... IF it stays unopened that long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk